(Close Window)
Topic: Magician and Education
I originally posted this in the kids section, however, this probably suits the topic better. I hope this elicits some response.

I teach 5th grade and I usually do tricks for the kids in the halls, at lunch. Nothing serious and often just as a "hey, watch this" kind of thing.

I've always wanted to incorporate magic into lessons since the tricks always seem to really grab the attention of the students. I've had some ideas in the past (T&R paper using geometrical shapes, rice bowls for multiplication, or even Burger's Card Warp Inquisition) and am soon going to try some to see how they "work" in a classroom setting. Will I get an "Aaaah" or will they be climbing the walls for the remainder of the day? A joke. Sort of.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas for tricks that would lend themselves to the classroom setting? I'm looking for things that are not the standard "kid" effects (Svengali coloring books, etc.) and that could be used in multiple grade levels.

Think of specific topics within the subject if you can, i.e. reading (inferring, cause and effect, comprehension), social studies (native Americans, American Revolution, Civil War), math (geometry, multiplication, fractions), you get the idea.

So, think back to your school experience and maybe an effect would stand out as a way to demonstrate the principles of a particular content area.

Time to stretch your minds a little. An exercise in meaningful presentation I suppose. Any subject, any curriculum area, and any grade! The choice is yours. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks for your indulgence.
Phil
You may find something here:
http://magicforteachers.com/
Okay, so that's a start. Any other ideas?
I'm thinking 'Crazy Compass' to illustrate confusion about which direction to go in. Perhaps for a disoriented trailblazer, an inventors search for answers, a presidential decision, etc.

Maybe "Twisting Arm Illusion" as a biology or evolution lesson.

A prediction effect for a little history about Nostradamus?

You may find some math ideas here.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=99&2644
Thanks Jaz!
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Mar 13, 2008 07:04PM)
Interesting - thanks for bringing this up guys . . .