(Close Window)
Topic: Boy, was 'that' the wrong approach!
Stopping for a shot of caffeine earlier, I struck up a conversation with the 20-something couple at the table next to mine. The interaction was pleasant enough, and they seemed curious when they saw my cards. Mentioning that I'm a Magician, I asked if I might share something fun (and, based on the number & prominence of their tats and piercings) I offered to read their fortune. They suddenly remembered an appointment and hurried off...upon which I learned the probable cause of their haste: On the rear of their car was a bumper sticker from a nearby religious college. (Locals: Biola)
You just never know how people will react ;)

Mike
You should have yelled to them "but wait, I must warn you about the demons!"
Well, Leland...that's one way to get rid of them!

Mark. :bg:
Magic Santa wrote:
'You should have yelled to them "but wait, I must warn you about the demons!'

That's freakin hilarious!
My favorite mentalism story was a tableside mentalist working in the San Francisco area. He went to a club and asked a girl to dance and she said no in a rather rude way. A week later this woman shows up where he is working and doesn't recognize him at all and this fellow decided to torment her. He got his tarot out and she got the death card. He told her it must be a mistake, things happen, and she got the death card again, again....and again. She got upset and left (after eating of dinner) and he was a happy camper.
I have done the same thing to people. If I'm really into it I tell them that the Ace of spades also serves as the major arcana Death, force AS on them, then leave it in there personal belongings to find hours or days later. Gotta get the friends of the person on it too.
[quote]
On 2008-03-10 17:07, Leland Stone wrote:
Stopping for a shot of caffeine earlier, I struck up a conversation with the 20-something couple at the table next to mine. The interaction was pleasant enough, and they seemed curious when they saw my cards. Mentioning that I'm a Magician, I asked if I might share something fun (and, based on the number & prominence of their tats and piercings) I offered to read their fortune. They suddenly remembered an appointment and hurried off...upon which I learned the probable cause of their haste: On the rear of their car was a bumper sticker from a nearby religious college. (Locals: Biola)
[/quote]

Heeeeeere we go again...
It's happened to me too, in a private party. I've tried to explain them that a magic trick is just skill and gimmiks, just for fun, but they told me to leave the table, in a rude manner...

So, what's the matter with religious people?
[quote]
On 2008-03-10 21:01, MagicSanta wrote:
[/quote]
Hahaha!
I have a lot of conservative Christian friends who are fine with magic, but things such as fortunes, tarot, and the like are sure to either not interest them or chase them off.
If you are to do an mentel efect for anybody what you want to do is say that you are good at reading body languge this way no religioun will ever run away from you like that
I think even Christian magicians would have a different viewpoint from non-magician Christians. They know what's involved, they know what's going on, and they're not deceived.

I think the reason some Christians question things like Tarot, fortunes, or mentalism is because of the way it is presented. Mostly, it is presented as if it were real, and some people buy into that idea.

Even, street magicians sometimes present themselves as being mystical and enigmatic.

People "know" that you really didn't make that sponge ball magically disappear in one hand and reappear in the other, or magically change a centavo to a quarter. But with the bizarre styles - there might just be a question.

And, for some, that is something that they'd rather not toy with. They don't want to jeopardize their salvation for a magician.

I'm not trying to flame up this topic...just trying to provide perspective.

Just food for thought.

Phil
[quote]
[/quote]

made my day ;)
[quote]
[/quote]
I will most definitely be using that line... haha priceless :D
That's an awesome story! But if I had a dollar for every religious person who thought my card tricks were Satans work, I'd have about $8.50.
I just read through this and now I'm afraid to perform for my inlaws. >_<
They're very VERY religious, chewed me and hubby out for having Harry Potter books in the house.

I might just skip that and save myself the possible smack and lecture. >_>
I tried some tricks for a lady who claimed to be psychic. It was horrible, never do tricks for a psychic, they are non-cooperative and have a grudge against magicians. I guess it's because we expose their secrets they expect to find out ours.
The most extreme reaction I ever had been at college in a maths class well where waiting of the teacher to arrive. My spectator was a girl of which was very much into the whole fortune telling and spiritual and supernatural element of things.

I performed a card trick for her and she started to turn red in the face, her eyes started to well up and asked my to do another. She was actually totally freaked out by it. I must say that was the only time I ever had that sort of reaction anyone.

Magically

Aus
[quote]
On 2008-05-22 20:34, magicianinja wrote:
I tried some tricks for a lady who claimed to be psychic. It was horrible, never do tricks for a psychic, they are non-cooperative and have a grudge against magicians. I guess it's because we expose their secrets they expect to find out ours.
[/quote]

So true. I did 2 signed selected cards become fused together as one. One of the specs was a psychic...ahem...and her chosen card was 9S but she wanted to change because it wasn't a very good card for her. I convinced her to sign the card anyway and I would try to make it better (I hadn't said was I was going to do).

The other card was the QH, so when the trick was done I ripped the card in half so they get half each, half 9S half QH and saving the day.

Psychic or not, she did not see that ending coming!
Message: Posted by: Michael_MacDonald (Jun 25, 2008 08:53AM)
I was performing at a local restaurant for a private booking consisting of 43 21-13 year old and 1 45 year old mother.....

I started with mental effects, went in to spoon bending (not noticing that mom was starting to pale and lean back) the daughter did notice and asked me to do something really scary.....

I took the moms napkin and balled it up on her plate, concentrated for about 25 seconds.... when it started to smoke mom got a look of terror, when it hit flames she jumped up and ran as fast as she could to the door screaming that the devil is burning her plate (me)!

now what was even more magical and amazing is the fact that this 300 lbs lady could move faster then a sprinter in the olympics.

needless to say I never do spontaneous combustion for older folks now lol.
[quote]
On 2008-03-11 11:57, Peter Loughran wrote:
Magic Santa wrote:

[/quote]

Totally agree!!!
It's amazing what some people believe. I was working in a small town in upstate NY (not a performing gig; my real job), and there was a 24-hour Starbucks, and I ended up going in at like 2am. There was a group of young adults (probably like 19-23 or so) hanging out, and I thought I'd mess around a bit. I started doing some PK work, moving stirrer sticks, levitating sugar packets, touches and so on, and they ALL kept asking if it is just pure concentration and focus to do it, and if there were special powers, because they wanted to learn how, but were afraid they did not possess the "gift".

I left them with the philosophical "just put your mind to it and you can accomplish anything" and laughed all the way back to my hotel.
[quote]
On 2008-07-01 20:14, daver wrote:
It's amazing what some people believe. I was working in a small town in upstate NY (not a performing gig; my real job), and there was a 24-hour Starbucks, and I ended up going in at like 2am. There was a group of young adults (probably like 19-23 or so) hanging out, and I thought I'd mess around a bit. I started doing some PK work, moving stirrer sticks, levitating sugar packets, touches and so on, and they ALL kept asking if it is just pure concentration and focus to do it, and if there were special powers, because they wanted to learn how, but were afraid they did not possess the "gift".

I left them with the philosophical "just put your mind to it and you can accomplish anything" and laughed all the way back to my hotel.
[/quote]

So right, Daver. I frequent a site called 43things.com which is a place where you can share your personal goals, meet others with similar goals and cheer/be cheered. It's kinda cool, but when I chose "become a magician" as one of my goals - I noticed that the majority on there were talking about developing their special powers. I just had to laugh. :P
Our of curiosity, I did a search of "Biola" and "magic", and I found out that someone on staff there performs magic tricks.

[url=http://studentlife.biola.edu/diversity/multi-ethnic-programs/meet-the-staff]studentlife.biola.edu[/url]

Perhaps they really just remembered an appointment.

Or, perhaps it was because you mentioned "fortune telling."

There really is no way to know without asking them.

In any event, it might not have been your approach.
You never know exactly how one reacts, and it seems every time you try to look into it facts collide and you never get the true answer.

That is weird though.
I went to Biola for a semester back in the 70's. I wasn't into magic back then, but don't think it would have been a problem. Actually, Biola was considered pretty liberal by some of the churches I was raised in.
[quote]
On 2008-03-11 11:57, Peter Loughran wrote:
Magic Santa wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]
On 2008-06-25 09:53, Michael_MacDonald wrote:

she jumped up and ran as fast as she could to the door screaming that the devil is burning her plate (me)!

[/quote]

:D :D Hilarious! These two quotes made my day :D