(Close Window)
Topic: Chop Cup (research)
I'd like to see how many table hoppers are using chop cups; of them what are your complaints (if any) about chop cups as a table hopping routine?

Reason for asking: I've been using a custom chop cup that I made myself. I've had it for about a year and several magicians have asked where I got it - because they wanted to buy one. I want to see, if it's advantages match the current market's woes.

Request - to make it a bit easier to keep track, please put at the top of your post:
[b]YES[/b] = I use a chop cup

[b]NO[/b] = I don't use a chop cup

[b]Sometimes[/b] = I use a chop cup on occasion or I leave it in the back and bring it out for special guests.
Sometimes -- I use a leather cup so it is quiet when I load in cue ball and 8 ball. More often than not, nowdays, I use a bowl routine with a rubber toilet plunger.
YES = I use a chop cup.

I love the chop cup. I've been collecting them for years. I have no less than 150 chop cups. I last bought over 30 chop cups from an estate sale. However, my wife has decided enough is enough. Over the next few months I will be selling a lot of them.

I perform in a number of up scale restaurants 4 nights a week. I never leave home without one. I have every size they come in. However, my favorite are ceramic or porcelin cups. My only complaint is their size. When I use a mini cup, it will fit in my pocket with no problem. However, when I use the larger size I carry it in a cloth bag.
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Mar 25, 2008 07:51PM)
SOMETIMES. I do mostly wedding receptions and usually there is no room at the tables. But I keep one in my briefcase and sometimes do it at the bar when people are waiting to order drinks.
[quote]
On 2008-03-25 20:51, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
SOMETIMES. I do mostly wedding receptions and usually there is no room at the tables. But I keep one in my briefcase and sometimes do it at the bar when people are waiting to order drinks.
[/quote]

Clarification:
The issue is not being able to use table space then? Just making sure.

[quote]
On 2008-03-25 19:35, nonvpro wrote:

I perform in a number of up scale restaurants 4 nights a week. I never leave home without one. I have every size they come in. However, my favorite are ceramic or porcelin cups. My only complaint is their size. When I use a mini cup, it will fit in my pocket with no problem. However, when I use the larger size I carry it in a cloth bag.
[/quote]

So you favor the mini-cups?
YES - I've been using the Dennis Loomis mini chop cup for about 4 years. It's the size of a shot glass so it takes up minimal pocket space, the brass construction looks great, the routine can be done in their hands, and it works beautifully. I bring it with everywhere. The vanish of the cup at the end of the routine absolutely kills.

I've also worked with a somewhat similar routine - Jiggernaut by Mark Jenest. Very fun, but I prefer the Loomis mini cup.
I enjoy Jiggernaut by Mark Jenest - it's fun and gets very good reaction. I recently discovered Bob Solari's Major Development and I'm having a great old fun with it. Major Development uses chop cup principles.
I have since day one opened with a chop cup routine.

I have one special made of wood.
I have always used the chop cup behind the bar. But doing walk a round it is just too much to carry. I travel very light when doing walk a round. But chop cup is a great piece of table magic. I have grabbed it from behind the bar and done it at tables when requested and it doesn't need much space for performing. The only problem I have with the chop cup personally is that its too much to carry. But if you work with a case then it wouldn't be a problem. I even load from my pants pockets and the final loads I have are pretty big and can be very obviously seen in my pocket but nobody has ever said anything about them. I have even done my dice stack at tables and my final load for that is a solid chunk of steel that fills the entire cup. I hold it between my knees for the entire trick. Good for the glutes. :)

,Jonathan
Does anyone know of a clip of Don Allen doing his routine. If not, how bout' someone doing Don Allen's routine? I'd love to add this to my library of great magic clips that I have saved on my PC. Searches have turned up dry....
Well I'm happy to say that all Chop-cup woes thus far are going right where I expected.

Current Problems Named:
Cup is too bulky
Loads take up too much room
Table space is unavailable

Keep 'em coming.
YES= I use a chop cup! Why? For me the chop Cop have all the magic Things happen. The Ball vanishes,Appear,penetrate,grow and change color...For me the chop cup plays very well in a Table Hooping situation!
Thanks,
Hansel!
I bought one of the best chop cups ever made a year ago from Pete. Thomas Wayne's chop coffee mug. I use it occasionally. We never use things as much as we think we will. If I'm in a strolling situation where there will be a lot of kids, I'll take it. I prefer to travel light, only a deck of cards, coins, maybe some rubber bands. That will give me 15-20 minutes at every table. For special VIP tables, after dinner I often return and do the 3 cup routine. So, to answer your question, sometimes.
YES
NO
SOMETIMES
WAS A REQUEST AND SO FEW USED IT :kermit:
Well, a few people did it. I've been keeping up with the thread a lot more than I thought I would, so people's answers are getting across.

Thanks for tryin' though.
Yes. I don't use table space for the routine.
I am glad that this post has come up as I am very interested in putting together a chop cup routine.

Has anybody ever used the salt shaker chop cup? If so is it any good?

Lylemagic, you can find don Alan preforming a beautiful Chop Cup routine on The Greater Magic Series Volume 28 The Don Alan DVD.
[quote]
On 2008-03-26 15:11, truesoldier wrote:
I am glad that this post has come up as I am very interested in putting together a chop cup routine.

Has anybody ever used the salt shaker chop cup? If so is it any good?

Lylemagic, you can find don Alan preforming a beautiful Chop Cup routine on The Greater Magic Series Volume 28 The Don Alan DVD.
[/quote]

1: I'm doing market research not a general conversation on chop cups. Read the first post.

2: No, the salt shaker chop cup is not a good idea. I made one for the sake of it and found it to be darn near useless.

3: I believe Lyle is looking for a clip of the performance, not a means to learn the effect.
[quote]
On 2008-03-26 14:01, Harry Murphy wrote:
Yes. I don't use table space for the routine.
[/quote]

George Schindler in his last dvd "Entertainment First" use a Chop Cup (Mug style) and make a "Penetration" thru the hand of the spectator ans looks very nice! I use it and have a great reaction!
Thanks,
Hansel!
YES

I used the chop cup in my restaurants every week for 3 years. Since then I've been using it at each walkaround gig that I've been doing. I've stopped restaurants, but I am working very frequently at private events.

Problems: I have to carry it around in a cloth bag, and sometimes I leave it at tables. I hate having to return to a table, apologize, and interrupt a meal but it does happen occassionally. The people never mind but it drives me nuts.
Hi dbaker

1 Sorry, In my haste I rushed through your original post, so accept I should have read it properly

2 Thanks for letting me know about your view on the salt shaker

3 Lyle Magic asked said that he couldn't find a preformance clip of Don Alan so I suggested the Greater Magic DVD as a possible solution because it has a 30 minute live preformance section that includes his routine. (Remember not everything is in the public domain sometimes you gotta pay for things, and that includes preformance only clips) We gotta try to think before youtube or passing on copyright material.
Lyle,

If you have real media player on your computer this should work for you. It is Don Alan doing his routine on the TV show That's incredible:

http://members.tripod.com/vidaccess/

I don't have real media player currently...but am thinking about installing it just for this clip. I had the clip a while back in Windows Media format and I loved it.
Every gig since Dec.03/2005:

[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=148180&forum=175&0]with this routine[/url]

and a Mad Jake (RNT2) Mini Don Alan.

~jdg
[quote]
On 2008-03-28 00:09, Bluzzmagic wrote:
Lyle,

If you have real media player on your computer this should work for you. It is Don Alan doing his routine on the TV show That's incredible:

http://members.tripod.com/vidaccess/

I don't have real media player currently...but am thinking about installing it just for this clip. I had the clip a while back in Windows Media format and I loved it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the Don Alan link! I remember that episode of "That's Incredible!"
Alright, so everyone hates:
Cup is too bulky
Loads take up too much room
Table space is unavailable

Everyone loves:
Dennis Loomis Chop Cup - which apparently is no longer available.

Well, this is good news for me, thanks folks.
Here ya go...this is an idea I had way back when about using a pill bottle/film canister as a chop cup. I played around with it a bit and made a prototype kinda, but then forgot about it. This thread brought that idea back up again so yea, I'm going to dig it out of the drawer Sunday and get to work! :)

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=205181&forum=5
I suppose I can leak a bit about the project.

I found a cup several years ago that I thought would be a good chop cup. I gimmicked it and it happens to fit 1" chop cup balls perfectly. I also found some green balls that work perfectly as "jumbo loads" for the cup.

The cup itself is thick plastic - might actually be ceramic. I added the magnet and covered it with a layer of polyurethane to hide it.

Cup, balls, and 2 jumbo load balls can all fit together in one hand - pocket space isn't a problem, nor is use of the table.
I use the chop cup everytime when working in a restaurant.

the cup is bulky - if you have it in a bag you can hang it on your belt.

the loads take up room = if you put them in your jacket or pants pocket. I have a little bag on my back. hanging on my belt. with an open jacket nothing is seen. this way I keep the back pocket free. the basball loads are the real kicker ending people talk about. it is like illusions where a double assistanst production takes place.

no place available = all I need is a place the sice of my cup. if people just ordered or just finished the space is there. if you politly ask they move thier glass.

when you start with the chop there are some problems but if you overcome them,i did, you have powerful magic. for me I still do all the other stuff.

if I am in a walkaround position, not table available, I do the egg bag.
No chop.

I've always liked Paul Harris's routine with the can of peaches. I never got around to doing it as well I wanted. Once I saw a guy name Eric Spoelstra show it to me, I was done with the chop cup. The peach can was about 3" high and rested well in the pocket.

Sean
http://www.theartofseanscott.com
Bob Solari has a great routine using a film canister called Major Development. I like it very much as it takes up very little space in the pocket. The ending is a big surprise!