(Close Window)
Topic: The Mummy Wrap Illusion
Does anyone know if there is a an oline video of the Mummy Wrap Illusion being performed? A Google and YouTube search revealed no results...

Thanks,

Lyndel
Hi Lyndel,

Do a youtube search for " mummy illusion" and you will find it performed by some kids performed along with the WORST Interlude illusion you'll ever see. LOL

Best,

Tim
Thanks Tim!

I missed this one while checking You Tube. Does anyone else have a source to a different performance of the Wrap?

BTW, was that a Johnny Gaughn Interlude? :)

Lyndel
Hmmm.. not sure about if its a Gaughn or not? Maybe others can tell us. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYoqbUiNIU

BTW... Just in case anyone thinks it mean of me to make fun of this Interlude prop, it should be noted that the performer himself refers to it as crappy. Its a brave first attempt.. that much I'll say.

Best,

Tim

Day 26
WOW!I can believe what my eyes see!
Thanks,
Hansel!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Mar 26, 2008 04:45PM)
Oh, the days of performing in front of "millions" in your basement. Good times.
These guys should do comedy magic at Magic Conventions.

Jim
Message: Posted by: Christian Illusionist (Mar 26, 2008 05:27PM)
Doug Henning did a type of this illusion in the opening number of 'Merlin'.

The kid that was playing the young Merlin would stand in the center of a large sheet and be wrapped in the sheet by two assistants and when the sheet was un-wound, there Doug Henning would be smiling.
Hey for spending 47 cents on props and illusions they got what they paid for! LOL!!!
[quote]
On 2008-03-26 11:08, Lyndel wrote:

BTW, was that a Johnny Gaughn Interlude? :)
[/quote]

No, that was a Jimmy Goon illusion. A lot of people make that mistake, but Jimmy's use of appliance boxes and packing foam often set him apart.

Thnks,
Richard
These kids are awesome. I just think its really cool that they had the guts to just make mock ups and do something with them. Although the cosmetics are total crap they actually didn't expose anything. They just remind me of skate kids free styling with stuff in their basement. They're thinking and trying and that's more than I can say for many "magicians".

Just 2 cents, oh wait, I actually meant what I said so I won't put any qualifiers at the end.

JB

P.S. I think Doug did the Mummy from himself to Tony Randal on one of his specials. And Copperfield did a modified version when he turned "old" in his artist dream scene.
HOORAY FOR THESE KIDS --- they ain't couch potatos playing vid games...... looks like the built it themselves. We need more of this type of at home activity to start the next generation of entertainers -----

Now -- just do not encourage them to do death trap or dangerous stuff --- until at least late in high school....
[quote]
On 2008-03-27 01:27, chmara wrote:

Now -- just do not encourage them to do death trap or dangerous stuff --- until at least late in high school....
[/quote]

To be honest, I'm lucky video cameras were very common when I was that age. If they were, it would be very likely a video would be floating around online of me blowing my eyebrows off with a wooden match and a couple of teaspoons of flash powder. :(

To get back on topic, I have a copy of the Henning special with the mummy trick and Tony Randel. I'll see if I can find a way to share it.

Thanks,
Richard
[quote]
On 2008-03-27 00:12, JasonB wrote:
These kids are awesome. I just think its really cool that they had the guts to just make mock ups and do something with them. Although the cosmetics are total crap they actually didn't expose anything.

[/quote]

Right you are Jason. They are having FUN with it and admit its not their best yet they feel comfortable enough to post it on YouTube. I'll save a copy of this to embarrass them with in the future when they are accepting some award for great magic performances.

Best,

Tim

Day 27
[quote]
To get back on topic, I have a copy of the Henning special with the mummy trick and Tony Randel. I'll see if I can find a way to share it.

Thanks,
Richard
[/quote]

That would be awesome Richard! Thanks!

Lyndel
Richard,

You can add me to the list of those that would love to see that footage again.

Best,

Tim

Day 27
I like the Party hat!!!!! :)
Didn't Doug Henning do this in the Merlin clip? Maybe I'm thinking about something else...
Mark Wilson on Illusions Volume 2 has the Mummy Wrapping illusion. Scroll down the page a bit.

http://www.markwilsonmagic.com/illusionsvol2.htm

Best,

Las
That kid's interlude looked shabby, but the effect was just as good (or bad) as anyone's. Never did think that was much of a trick ...

Think about it ... if a 12 year old can figure it out and reproduce it with a piece of foamboard, is it really fooling anyone?

As for the mummy wrap, it can be a good trick.
Ahhh...that Youtube reminded me of me when I was 12, sawing thru the downstairs girl(s) in an old box for watching parents...who DIDN'T wonder out loud where the other daughter was...
[quote]On Mar 29, 2008, Starrpower wrote:
That kid's interlude looked shabby, but the effect was just as good (or bad) as anyone's. Never did think that was much of a trick ...

Think about it ... if a 12 year old can figure it out and reproduce it with a piece of foamboard, is it really fooling anyone?

As for the mummy wrap, it can be a good trick. [/quote]

I suggest you see Yunke do his version. His version is more barebone but the effect far better. https://youtu.be/l3mUtKWcjvE?t=322
When I was a kid learning this from Mark Wilson's Course of Magic. Was a staple in my show haha. But I did learn some great cloth handling from this and still use that knowledge to this day. Classic and simple. No props. Very effective when staged right, Brings back fun memories.
I know this is a 12-1/2 year old thread that has resurfaced, but I thought I should mention Creative Magic's "Flip Switch." There were many made and sold before Creative Magic closed their doors, so they are still available on the Used Magic scene (I owned one and sold it). Demo video at the link.

http://www.creativemagic.net/flip/

- Donald