(Close Window)
Topic: The ForWorkersOnly forum - Michael Close
Check this out:

[url=http://www.michaelclose.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=21]michaelclose[/url]
I saw this in my e-mail... I thought about joining, but ultimately decided to hold off. Anyone else have any comments?
Michael's site "may" be the future. Genii now requires you to subscribe to the the Magazine in order to post to the online forum Here's what it looks like: http://www.forworkersonly.com
They now at this point have 72 registered users.

Michael e-mailed:

Lisa and I have started a new venture – an Internet forum for magicians. There are, of course, several forums out there already. It is my dissatisfaction with these existing forums that prompted the development of this new forum. In the early 1990s, I was one of the people who helped Joe Stevens with the start-up of his Gemini Board. At the time, I was excited by the possibilities that the Internet held for useful, stimulating, and creative discussion. Unfortunately, this type of discourse rarely appeared; instead, topics were sidetracked by inane responses, misinformation, or personal attacks.

To keep out the troublemakers and the merely curious there will be a small subscription fee (but wait until you hear the deal we have for you!) and all members of the forum will post using their real names.
-------------------------------------------
Chris, Genii has done away with the magazine subscription requirement in order to post. It's now back to the way it was.
[quote]
On 2008-03-30 19:20, edh wrote:
Chris, Genii has done away with the magazine subscription requirement in order to post. It's now back to the way it was.
[/quote]

Oh, really? I hadn't heard. Did they give a reason?

I just saw this

Kaufman posted:

"After further thought, I have decided that anyone (not just Genii readers) will be able to register and once again post on the Forum. I preferred it when there were a higher number of active posts".
No disrespect to the Genii forum (or this one for that matter - I enjoy mostly lurking on both), but my goal is quality of information over quantity of posts.

We already have 70+ members. I've begun an in-depth, chapter-by-chapter discussion of Henning Nelms's Magic & Showmanship, and will soon (in the next 24 hours or so) kick off the discussion of The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks and The Phoenix.

I'm looking for people who are serious about their magic and who are willing to participate.

Best wishes,

Close
I will absolutely be joining soon.

I think Mike Close has one of the very best minds in the business and having ready access to whatever he is working on is easily worth the price of admission.

Dan
Two aspects on why I think this will be a success. One has already been touched upon and that is the fee. There will be more signal, less noise. The "gossipers" will stick to the free sites.

But for me, the key element is the real names. I have always believed that if you post with your real name and face as avatar, people feel like they are having a real conversation. It also helps cut down on those registering under multiple names to pitch their latest wares.

Bravo and wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor!

Scott
I joined. I think anyone that uses Mike's material should think about supporting this project.

You get a $20 credit as a new member, so I also ordered "That Reminds Me: Finding The Funny in a Serious World". I started listening last nigth and at soem points, I laughed so hard I had tears come from my eyes. I have a great sense of humor and appreciate a funny joke, but it takes allot for me to laugh out loud at a joke.

There are now 131 members and it's growing.
The two "magic" books not having a lot to do with magic I've purchased in the last year (that have a permanent place on my bookshelf) are "That Reminds Me" by Mike, and "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin.

Sometimes you need to read books with truly funny stuff in them just to stay sane.

Truly funny can be difficult to come by in this rather troublesome decade.

Sounds like joining Mikes site essentially gets you a "free" copy of his new book.........not a bad deal :)
I just wanted to give you a heads up that the one-year subscription fee to the Forworkersonly.com forum will be going up. Based on the comments and emails I have received from the members of the forum, I believe that the $30 per year fee does not adequately reflect the quality of the information offered. So, on Sunday, June 8, 2008 the fee will go up to $40. The download bonus will stay in effect, which means that you receive $20 to apply to any of our downloads. However, on July 1, 2008 the download offer will end. If you have been thinking about joining the forum, now’s the time to do so. You can information about joining here:

http://www.michaelclose.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=21

Thanks.

Close
That's too much for me. I get all the information I need from the Magic Café and the Genii forum.
Same here Andi. Would love to join, but the price is too high...anyway, have fun guys.
172 members are now on For Workers Only and it's growing. If you perform, there is a wealth of info. With the download offer, it's like getting a year membership for free.
[quote]
On 2008-06-29 20:03, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
172 members are now on For Workers Only and it's growing. If you perform, there is a wealth of info. With the download offer, it's like getting a year membership for free.
[/quote]
Is there anybody of particular note that hangs out there?

If so I might reconsider.
[quote]
On 2008-07-01 16:35, Andi Peters wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-06-29 20:03, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
[/quote]
Is there anybody of particular note that hangs out there?

If so I might reconsider.
[/quote]

I guess because you pay, it wouldn't be for me to say. Perhaps contact Michael with any questions.
I've just been to the site and noticed that the newest member is:

{cigarette|cheap cigarette|discount cigarette|marlboro cigarette|camel cigarette|cigarette store|cigarette cases|buy cigarette|online

When I click on the name it takes me to a website selling cheap cigarettes.

I'm sure this isn't what the forum was intended for!
Last week it was cheap condoms. In this economy, we need all the help we can get.

:rotf:
[quote]
On 2008-06-08 07:28, Andi Peters wrote:
That's too much for me. I get all the information I need from the Magic Café and the Genii forum.
[/quote]

I agree! WAY too much money!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and stand at intersections and wash windscreens.
[quote]
On 2008-08-24 08:55, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-06-08 07:28, Andi Peters wrote:
[/quote]

I agree! WAY too much money!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and stand at intersections and wash windscreens.
[/quote]
Just wait until the credit crunch hits Aus. You may end up doing what you say! Here in the uk work is drying up faster than you can say 'book me please'.
Concerning the spam memberships at my forum:

I believe that all forums get hit with these. We require a manual login that filters out most spam attempts, but I still delete 4-12 each day. Because Lisa and I have been on the road for the past 3 1/2 weeks it has been more difficult to keep up with these, consequently they appeared on the forum login longer than they should have.

I personally authenticate everyone who joins the forum. The spammers may login, but they have no access to anything on the site. (Nor does anyone else who doesn't join.)

Lisa is looking into ways to block these spammers.

Close
I got in practically free with the download offer, but doubt I'll re-join for the $40 it costs now. It could have cost $100 and I would have paid it if I thought it was worth it. There was a great deal of activity when it first launched, but not so much now.

Michael Close rarely posts and it's his site. lol.

Anyone else?
I just came across this thread now.
I'm sorry to hear about the site not being as active as it use to be.
Michael's definitely on-line though because I see him post on Facebook often enough. Dang Facebook!!! LOL
I joined when it first opened and just couldn't "get into it". I didn't feel compelled to join into any conversations. I think I have less than 5 posts there. I did get the download offer, so it certainly wasn't a waste of money, but I will not be renewing. I don't think I've been there in over 6 months.
People post things and ask Mike a question and he never answers. I thought he would be very involved and that's not the case.

He took over as the new editor of M-U-M and perhaps that's were all his energies went. If he lost interest in his site, he should say so.

I made a post on his site asking if he was no longer interested. I'll see what he says.
I've been disappointed with my membership so far.

The main area of the board that seems to get updated is the jokes section. For that I would have bought a joke book!

Let's hope Mike gets a second wind and injects some much needed enthusiasm into the board soon.

Posted: Dec 26, 2008 8:37am
Michael has posted on the forworkersonly forum to say he'll post more frequently from now on. He says M-U-M has been keeping him busy.

I'm sure Chris and I will be checking the site regularly to make sure Mike sticks to his promise, eh Chris? ;-)
How many members are there on Mikes forum?
There are 224 registered users.

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 8:44am
Michael has just written a quality post at FWO about one of his old three trick sets.

This is the type of information I signed up for. Welcome back Mike!

Posted: Apr 12, 2009 6:08am
Unfortunately the effort wasn't sustained, he hasn't posted in a while. Oh well.
224 registered posters. At $20 a pop that equates to a quick $4,480 for Michael. Not bad!
Easy money for Mike. However, it's not done much for his reputation with 224 magicians.
[quote]
On 2008-06-04 15:09, mclose wrote:
I just wanted to give you a heads up that the one-year subscription fee to the Forworkersonly.com forum will be going up. Based on the comments and emails I have received from the members of the forum, I believe that the $30 per year fee does not adequately reflect the quality of the information offered. So, on Sunday, June 8, 2008 the fee will go up to $40. The download bonus will stay in effect, which means that you receive $20 to apply to any of our downloads. However, on July 1, 2008 the download offer will end. If you have been thinking about joining the forum, now’s the time to do so. You can information about joining here:

http://www.michaelclose.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=21

Thanks.

Close
[/quote]

When you click on that link to subscribe, or the link on http://www.michaelclose.com, it says "Sorry, the product was not found".

Mike hasn't posted on the site since January, so I can't imagine charging $40 for jokes. Is the site now free or going away?
[quote]
I can't imagine charging $40 for jokes.
[/quote]
Charging $40 WAS the joke! :-(
At least with $4K+ Mike can now take a nice little vacation. :)
I noticed the same thing, Chris. I was considering signing up until I read this thread. Nothing against Mike, but if the price is now $40 and he hasn't posted since January, I frankly can't see the benefit of joining at this point. I wondered if it might have changed to free, too, since you couldn't pay for it, but when I registered, I was only allowed access to a few "this is how we do things" type of sections. I was barred from the rest, so apparently it is still a subscriber site, or maybe Mike is just letting it die off quietly.

Some kind of update as to what is going on (since one can't seem to join now even at double the price) would be nice.
Back in December, on the site, I posed the question of him losing interest and he said he took over as editor of M-U-M and was very busy and he hoped others would carry the ball. Kind of a strange response considering it's his site and you pay for membership.

I just posted the following:

"Mike, your last post was in January. If folks go to join it says "Sorry, the product was not found".

ForWorkersOnly.com seems to be foundering in the horse latitudes.

Any update for subscribers?"
Glad I didn't pony up at this point!
I want a refund!
I signed up when he first opened it and he was including some bonuses at the time. The bonuses certainly had the value of the cost so I never felt ripped off. The forums never held any interest for me. I think I only posted a couple of times and just lost interest.
Here's what Michael promised in the original advertising blurb...

"Product reviews. Since leaving my post at MAGIC magazine in 2005, I have heard from many, many magicians that they miss my reviews. I said I would never go back to reviewing books, tricks and DVDs again, but I’ve changed my mind. You will easily recoup your forum subscription just in the money you save avoiding lousy products."

I would count his forum as one of the lousy products! lol
ForWorkersOnly is a dead site. Mike's given it up, with only a few people posting things. It says there are 430 users, but 200 appeared in March and are just promoting spam sites in their profiles.
[quote]
On 2009-04-19 15:37, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
ForWorkersOnly is a dead site. Mike's given it up, with only a few people posting things. It says there are 430 users, but 200 appeared in March and are just promoting spam sites in their profiles.

[/quote]

So true Chris, so true. In fact I believe that others here would be blasting those who did do the same as Mike.

This seems to be a pattern as of late. Magicians selling products and not delivering knowing full well nothing will come of it. Then just to reappear and sell more products with glowing and giddy reviews and start the cycle all over again.

But, it's our fault for supporting such characters and having such short memories.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, magicians are more easily fooled than the audiences that we perform for. ;)
Ed, I guess because of Mike's stature in the community and the standards he sets for others, I expected more. I certainty expected him to at least be upfront in December when I asked if he lost interest in the site and he said he hadn't ( he most certainly has lost interest ).

Here's great review of For Workers Only:

http://www.wootmagic.com/2008/12/04/forworkersonlycom-a-40-value-hardly/
I to expected more from Mike because of his stature in the magic community. He definitly dropped the ball on this one.

Thanks for the link Chris.
I guess mike must be busy working that's why he is not writing for the workers :(
Michael should CLOSE the forum!

And, give us our cash back.
I hope you don't want to wait forever. ;)
Result!!!!

Has anyone else asked for their cash back?
Well, because of these unemployment times, it's difficult these days to have a "for workers only." It's apparently not a good business model. We are part of the experience.
Very strange and unlike Close to behave this way. He's complained of being seriously ill a couple of times over the last year.

Perhaps, Mike is having health issues.
I hope he's ok. I wouldn't like to think I've been giving him a hard time if he's seriously ill. Maybe someone here knows?
Look, it's a simple matter to post a notice on his site if that's the case. Even if he is SERIOUSLY ill, a friend, family member, or his webmaster could post a notice stating that the site is closed and the reason why. It would LITERALLY take less than two minutes.

I don't wish Mike or anyone else any harm, but like I said, there is next to no effort required to communicate the status and the reason for that status.

When The Café goes down, Steve posts a notice telling us why, and this site is FREE!

I'm very disappointed in Mr. Close on this one. Very unprofessional behavior from someone who knows better.

Like I said, I'm glad I didn't pony up! I was going to but just hadn't got around to it, thank goodness!
I, too, had very high hopes for that forum, and they were not met. One of the bonuses of being a member was a prize given every month. Perhaps we could have seen the demise coming when, in the last year, only one seems to be given away. Mike said it was too hard to do. I've always respected Mike as a very gifted and funny performer and was seriously hoping that he would provide members with some insight to becoming a better worker. Of course, his new job as MUM editor will take a lot of time, and if he IS having health issues, I can see that would as well.
I really think this is a case of Mike biting off more than he can chew. I won't be asking for a refund, as I have too much respect for Mike for that. He's given me enough advice over the years to warrant my membership fee. I just won't be renewing my subscription. I can't imagine anyone would.
When you trade in respect for cash, nobody wins.

If all he's hoping for is that nobody renews their membership, and then it all goes away quietly, that's really about as dismissive and disrespectful as you can get.

In the end, it appears as if Close made a few thousand dollars, and then completely and totally failed to deliver what he promised he'd deliver.
Guys like Luke Jermay get roasted over hot coals for doing the exact same thing. I'm not sure Close deserves any less the roasting for this little escapade.

Of course, a note from Close explaining what's going on would not only restore the respect for paid up members that's currently (and terribly obviously) missing, but it would also be the "man-up" thing to do.
I wonder if Mike actually knows he has a few disgruntled customers?
A guy would have to know that he hasn't uploaded [i]anything[/i] new to his website for months?

I suspect there's something personal at play here, and all it would take is a note to the members indicating what 'it' was and, further, begging their forgiveness.

Most online communities are quite forgiving of their hosts if life's circumstances cause their online community to cease to be. As long as members are told what's up, and aren't out a ton of money, most just let it go.

In this case, though, not saying [i]anything[/i] only creates animosity.........as we see.
I e-mailed Mike and asked him for an update.
Received an email from Mike (probably prompted by Chris's email). Unfortunately, he has threatened to ban me from his forum if I relate any of the information contained within the email here.

So, I'm not going to say anything that might get me banned.

But what I can say is that I feel disappointed with his response. Not quite what I expected from Mike!
Well, I can't be banned, since I tried to join but was never allowed access. But I still received the email, so I guess it must have gone into his system when I tried to join.

Without going into detail, he basically said he was too busy to participate much, but felt people got their money's worth already, and they should participate without him.
I don't see the point in contributing to a forum which won't exist in the future!

I feel let down. :(
Back in December, I called him out on his abandoning the site and his members. He could have admitted it, but instead gave a lame excuse ( he was just too busy to be involved ) and denied he lost interest.

Talk about smoke and mirrors.
Wasn't the fact that Mike would be posting on his forum one of the incentives to be joining up in the first place?

Too busy to deliver what you promised...NOT good at all, Mike. At least, refund the money to the people that joined. Making threats of banning people for speaking the truth about the site is also not good.

Chris, it took guts to call him out on this. Kudos to you.

Scott,
WOW! A working professional with name recognition actually taking a stand on this. I'm very impressed, as I'm sure others are.
Well, Ed, I don't know how much "name recognition" I have. However, Mike did reviews in magic magazines for years. If he received an item of mine for review that he thought was sub par, I'm sure he would have no problem "telling it like it is" and saying so. That's all I'm doing here.

I tried to join his forum, but there was nowhere to submit payment. Then I hear that he's not participating, he's not doing reviews (which were the reasons I wanted to join), and he's closing it down shortly. Makes me glad I couldn't submit payment.

The Magic Café is free. Online Visions is free. Both are still up and running and delivering what they promised--free.
[quote]
On 2008-06-04 15:09, mclose wrote:
I just wanted to give you a heads up that the one-year subscription fee to the Forworkersonly.com forum will be going up. Based on the comments and emails I have received from the members of the forum, I believe that the $30 per year fee does not adequately reflect the quality of the information offered.
[/quote]

VERY clever way to get more money out of folks before abandoning the project.
[quote]
On 2009-05-19 21:14, edh wrote:
Scott,
WOW! A working professional with name recognition actually taking a stand on this. I'm very impressed, as I'm sure others are.
[/quote]
Scott's also giving some great advice on his blog........for free!!!

Mike, take note.
I got this email from Mike yesterday, saying that the Forum will shut down in December. He went on to say that the amount you paid for it was a bargain. Oh, yeah...and don't post this email on the Café or you'll be booted off the Forum.

Guess that's it for the Forum. What a waste of money!
I didn't like the tone of his email.

Wasn't particularly friendly.
Well, I feel I got my $20.00 worth from the great jokes that were there.
Message: Posted by: ricardo carpenter (May 20, 2009 09:34AM)
I received the mail from Mr. Close.

The point of being banned because I could mention his mail is totally outstanding and absurd. I had no special feeling of being ripped off (because I had the the chance of having a discount on CSG) with the forworkers. I was annoyed. It was not what it was described. Ok. But being threatened of being banned...!

Here is the note on the message posted by Mr Close:
"The information in this message is not to be posted or transmitted in any form on any other Internet forum or chat group. Doing so will result in your removal from the forum."

I hope, very sincerely, that it is a joke!

Cool man.

Posted: May 20, 2009 10:37am
Just following, to be fair: Mr. Close posted some new posts on the forworkersonly.

Check it out.
Close's rep has never been that of a 'nice guy'.

After reading this thread, and reading some of his responses to his own members, you'd be nuts to have [i]anything[/i] to do with him or his forum.

If you check back in this thread, you'll find his smiling face on quite a few posts. So he's obviously avoiding everybody here, and doing all his talking via threatening emails.

No "man-up" seen to be coming from Close........but then, none really expected, was there?
It was nice of Mr. Close to release some of his killer material!
I don't think he needs to get into debates about anything.
$20.00 for 2 years membership to that board was a bargain!
I'm displeased because I supported the site, and then when it became clear he was abandoning it, I posted on the forum asking him if that was so. He denied it and said he was just busy and didn't have time to post on his site, but he would try to make time in the future. He barely did that, and then 5 months later he sends out a lame e-mail admitting the site was closing.

It's OK for him to lose interest and want to do other things. What isn't OK is, when confronted about it, he couldn't admit the truth. Just say, "Yeah, I'm too busy with other stuff and am closing the site." To do it so long after being called out on it is disingenuous.

Remember, this is Michael Close. He holds EVERYONE to extremely high standards. Apparently, just not himself.

:rotf:
[quote]
On 2009-05-20 12:51, Markymark wrote:
It was nice of Mr. Close to release some of his killer material!
I don't think he needs to get into debates about anything.
$20.00 for 2 years membership to that board was a bargain!
[/quote]

I finally see how the con men are able to function. "Nice of Mr. Close" and "was a bargain"!!??

The bargain was quite different, and you are NOT getting what was promised! Magic for dummies!!!
Sounds like his Workers Forum is dead in the water, so being banned from it wouldn't mean much.

Someone, please post his email. I'd be interested in reading it.
I think this speaks volumes about Close as a person.
The forum is just a window to the person running it (and taking your money).

This current behavior is not only inexcusable, but it's also quite a scam.

Close "saying" that it was a great deal has nothing to do with the fact that he took the money and didn't deliver the product.
Nowhere did he indicate it was a "temporary" forum, and that your entry fee would eventually buy you a [i]"this website cannot be found"[/i] message.
I'm sure, mandarin and silverking, you have both spent $20.00 on useless tricks
that you have never used [like I have], but I can honestly say that the $20.00 that I spent to the Workersonly board was money well spent.

I joined well over a year ago and saved to my hard drive some great jokes, reviews and tips.

Sorry if you don't agree!
Message: Posted by: ricardo carpenter (May 21, 2009 03:26PM)
It's not about money, it's about behaviour. On the Café, I can find lot of reviews, etc., for free. This forum works with the members. Apparently, Mr. Close would like the members of the Forworkers forum to be that. But why do that here? It's not the Café. I register because I was thinking it was "exclusive", that Mr. Close would share with us something special. As I said before, I don't feel ripped of, but I feel disappointed. I feel that Mr. Close missed the point. I can understand that: the web is a new media, we are part of the experiment. BUT it doesn't excuse a non-communication or, worse, an aggressive tone. Especially, with members who have paid. Aside the commercial point, this attitude is totally stupid according of the web works: it's transparent, "democratic". I can sit on my 20$ without any problems (I repeat, for me the deal was good balanced with the promotional offer on his products), but I can't stand to be threatened. I just don't like that. The anger of Mr. Close has nothing to do with us.
Imagine if Mike now did a review of his own site. It would be a hoot!
Just curious...

Did any of you get booted for talking about it?
Not yet. That would mean Michael going to the site admin area and actually doing something!
[quote]
On 2009-05-29 04:26, Andi Peters wrote:
Not yet. That would mean Michael going to the site admin area and actually doing something!
[/quote]

:lol: Too funny! :lol:
Would it really matter if you were banned? I guess it's easy for me to make a statement not being a member of Close's site, but I am 100% honest when I say no one will hold a gun to my head about being banned. Freedom of speech and strictly facts, I would post the entire email.
Being as the site is essentially dead...I don't think it would matter if you got banned.
[quote]
On 2009-04-15 15:47, Andi Peters wrote:
I want a refund!
[/quote]

Did you get one?
[quote]The ForWorkersOnly forum offers you valuable, useful information at an extremely reasonable price. What do get? First, (and perhaps most important) product reviews from Michael Close.[/quote]

Well not really a bargain if he is not living up to his end. What a load of junk to say that you got your money's worth now shut up.
So glad I got directed to this thread via Google. I nearly joined this d*mn site! :angry:

I lost a lot of respect for Michael within minutes of reading this thread, but worse than that I am totally disgusted with the way he handled the situation. :mad: I cannot STAND double standards or hypocrites.

What's the deal with this site now? It seems people could still be ripped off, as it's still up and running with links to the membership purchasing page on MichaelClose.com .
Guess what? He is now selling something to his customers, which he so gratiously responded to. :(