(Close Window)
Topic: Small hands?
Hey guys, this is my first "official" post on the forums! =D

Just recently, I have been experimenting with the material on Jeff McBride's "Art of Card Manipulation, Vol. 1". I can perform the material, but it feels very forced and cramped. My hands are quite small, and I was wondering if I will overcome this with practice, or if this handicap will render me unable to perform this material effectively? Has anyone else on the forums had to deal with this obstacle? I am not new to magic, but I have limited experience with more advanced card manipulations. I'm not what you would call a "card guy," but I'm looking to expand my repitoire.

Thanks for all the help, and best wishes!

-Austin Messer
Welcome to the Café! I'd say that with practice, you'll find what works best for you, even if you have small hands.

Hang in there. You'll be knocking them out soon enough with your advanced card sleights.

Mark. :)
Hey , Aaron Fischer has small hands (or wait... maybe I'm thinking of Lee Asher) and he is an accomplished card worker.

I recommend using Bridge-Sized cards for some of McBride's manipulations, especially backpalm work, you will find it much easier and effective for your physical attributes! good luck, it takes a lot of practice.
I used to use bridge size cards when I was younger. But when I got in to back palms and split fans I found poker size cards easier to work with. I can't remember which volume of the McBride tapes its on, but he explains how to prepare the cards, soften them up essentially. This was a big help to me.
I have small hands as well, but with practice, I was able to overcome that obstacle. You will most likely be able to, also.
I'm no expert in XCM but I too have small hands, but all I can say is TRY. The main reason I say this is in my case I got it into my head a few months ago that I NEEDED to be able to do a one hand riffle shuffle, it looked good and I 'needed' to learn it.

I got a little deterred when just placing the two packets in my hand seemed impossible, painful, looked dreadful etc let alone actually doing the shuffle one handed!

But after a while of try, try and try again my muscles must have adjusted and trained to do what I needed them to do and I got it down :) with poker sized cards too, so don't be put off straight away, try and practice, if it doesn't pay off try bridge sized cards

It gave me endless confidence and I'm sure you will be fine.
I'm also a beginner in this area.

I've found that while there are a few moves that is close to impossible with small hands, an overwhelming majority can be done even with constant practice.

Also, if you have been practising for a long time and still can't get a move right, then you may wish to look into your technique. I had this happen to me once, it wasn't my small hands as I originally thought, but was rather the placing of one of my fingers.
Small hands won't hurt you. What will hurt you is moping about having small hands instead of practicing. Keep up the practice, watch McBride's technique again, then keep practicing.
No such thing as small hands in magic. With practice you will get it down. If not, you can always switch to a mini deck. :)
You could also try practicing with a bridge sized deck if you must, but I don't recommend it.
Extra practice is how I overcomed having small hands
Hey, you might wanna try pickup a deck of norm nielsens manipulation cards, they are a bit smaller and come pre powdered and ready to get those back palms into action, I got all my stuff down with this deck and then moved onto a bee deck which helped me alot!
I was taught the one handed bridge by Eric Anderson- who has big hands... I have small hands of course compared to him. I practiced and practiced and finally got it down and now can shuffle with either hand... Believe me, hand size won't prevent you, it will only add to the challenge.
Yeah, hand size doesn't matter, I as well thought my hands were small, untill I saw these kids (8-12) posting their skills on youtube.
There is only one soloution...click the link below....
[quote]
On 2008-12-15 14:42, fingerjack wrote:
There is only one soloution...click the link below....
[/quote]

ROFL! Good one!
Note : do you know that's Mr.Jeff's Hand are from the Small Size
and see what he can do ?
Take out the think of Small Hand keep Practicing
I know you well get Bored , You well don't be abel to Do what you see
Just Think about what you are doing
First put your mind in a place where he Accept what you are seeing
then tray to translit this moive in your minde
i.e : First do it as a Theuory think as you are holding it in your hand
bend your mind to think its easy let him Accept it
and translit this to practic
sorry for my English I hope it was good point
Get some manipulation cards they are almost as small as a bridge sized deck. I couldn't back palm more than 5 bikes before. But with a norm neilson manipulation deck I can now back palm like 25, it will take a ton of work to get the manipulations down, but in the end it is worth it.
[quote]
On 2008-12-30 11:42, M2MAGIC wrote:
Note : do you know that's Mr.Jeff's Hand are from the Small Size
and see what he can do ?
Take out the think of Small Hand keep Practicing
I know you well get Bored , You well don't be abel to Do what you see
Just Think about what you are doing
First put your mind in a place where he Accept what you are seeing
then tray to translit this moive in your minde
i.e : First do it as a Theuory think as you are holding it in your hand
bend your mind to think its easy let him Accept it
and translit this to practic
sorry for my English I hope it was good point
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing... from the DVDs I've watched Jeff McBride doesn't appear to have particularly large hands and yet it doesn't seem to be a problem for him. I do however see evidence of many long hours of practice in Jeff McBride's work.