(Close Window)
Topic: Bryn Reynold's The Safwan Papers
When I was first starting out in mentalism, I couldn’t wait to buy everything that came on the market. Now, I usually get sent the newest offerings in the field. Frankly, there is not much I get excited about anymore. Most manuscripts are basically slight variations or modifications of existing material that hardly justify their high price tags. Such is not the case with Bryn Reynolds.

I have already said some very kind things about the Safwan Papers. I received these effects individually when Bryn was compiling the book. He recently sent me the hardbound version which I took along with me on a rigorous series of shows to re-read back in the hotel room. I am now going to further wax enthusiastically about these effects!

Seven is great! You need only your mouth and a piece of paper to do an incredibly strong mental card effect. Bryn’s logic is unassailable in putting together the hard hitting piece of mentalism. You write a prediction, the spectator mentally chooses a card in an extremely fair way, and your prediction matches. Just like that!

Bottle cap Koran is something you just have to have in your repertoire. When you are in a position where you want to do a great routine and have virtually no props with you (or have done just about everything in your normal close-up act) you will be glad you know this. It is hard to imagine an impromptu effect having this much juice! It is classic killer material with 2 (that’s right TWO) devastating punches thrown in!

I [b]love[/b] Your Lucky Nite. It is different from the one I use in my shows and I have developed another handling of it for a different effect. I’m not going to tip it until you see it on a DVD, but even though I have changed it somewhat, the basic routine is Bryn’s and I would have never come up with it without this version. When you study material like this, you always have to look at how to make it your own. Bryn’s is always so good that it is easy to do that.

BOHT is sooo clever! I won’t say more about this other than it works. All the time! It is ingenious thinking that should make you apply this kind of logic to other routines.

The String Routine reminds me of an idea that I used to use years ago with some felt strips and a safety pin. But this is better as you are much cleaner at the end. Bryn has found a way to use a classic prop in a brand new way. This is one of the reasons I admire Bryn so much.

Finally, the $4 Billet Index reminds me of some older books where the author will give you some great ideas for utility devices that have a thousand uses. I doubt if you can come up with a better Index than this one. Basically, it is so good because it is invisible! (Well not really, but it may as well be!) To top it off, and Bryn doesn’t really mention this, but no one will suspect it or want to touch it because of its very nature! (I will let you figure that one out after you read it!)

What I want to end with doesn’t really talk about the effects. Rather, it is the feeling (for want of a better word) that one gets when you read this material. You just [b]know[/b] that it is audience tested in the harshest conditions. I can’t tell you how many times someone will send me something brand new that they thought up and put right into a manuscript without having ever [b]done it!!![/b] (And I don’t mean at the local magic club).

This is [b]tested[/b] material and you can tell just by reading it. You will not be surprised when you perform this stuff by some variable that is not covered in the well-written instructions. Bryn has performed these routines over and over again and worked out everything for you! This is real mentalism of the highest order.

Richard
I couldn't agree more. Bryn is a breath of fresh air and ALL his offerings to date have been fabulous, 'The Safwan Papers' are no exception and come highly, HIGHLY recommended.

Excellent review and much deserved praise! Bryn, fantastic work as always my friend. I'm loving it.

-JF
Ditto gentlemen.

I was so happy to pick up a book where [b]literally[/b] every item within was entirely usable.

And as mentioned before, Bryn's writing voice is both entertaining and refreshing.

Great stuff, Bryn! Thanks so much for this contribution!

DT3
Wow!..I'm touched, and certainly honored, that you took the time to start a thread about THE SAFWAN PAPERS, Richard! Thank you so very much, and to have such things said about the routines in the book by someone who's effects, and guidance, I most highly respect just makes me feel good!

Jerome and Don, I certainly appreciate your comments as well! I have certainly enjoyed your mentalism offerings, and it is clear that we think along similar paths...

There have been some great reviews and comments posted in the Ebook foum (and I also offfer a printed version) here at the Café and elsewhere, and from other creators in the mentalism field who's names and work I also highly respect.

It is a nice feeling to hear the routines are considered real "workers" for others, as they most certainly are for me!

Thanks,
Bryn
Richard, Don and Jerome could not be more spot-on. Bryn's "Safwan" is clearly road-tested material- every routine a real-world worker of the highest order. (I have just employed too many hyphenated words, and for that, I apologize).
Bryn,

I don't think you can do it any better than getting such a review from Richard Osterlind.

It's not neccesary to say that what Richard says here is correct, but I too wanted to tell how happy I am with your book.
I have purchased pretty many books throughout my life, and many of them are good.
Now, if I find one or two things that I can use in a new book, I am happy.
It's also ok if I don't, - I still learn SOMETHING.

What I found in The Safwan Papers was different from what you usually finds, it witnesses of a lot of, and very creative thinking, and no doubt, they'll work.
It comes quite clear that the routines have been performed, changed and adjusted time and time again before they were released in this book

Thanks again for adding this to my arsenal, Be certain of that I will use it!

Sven
Just when the wife had forgiven me for spending so much, something like this comes along!!!!! well more weeks in the dog house
Tanis now uterly miserable and soon to be broke
[quote]
On 2008-04-06 11:37, Tanis wrote:
Just when the wife had forgiven me for spending so much, something like this comes along!!!!! well more weeks in the dog house
[/quote]

Gracefully maneuvering in and out of the “magic dog house” is an art itself.
They don’t tell ya about this when you’re a kid getting hooked on magic.

Steve
[quote]
On 2008-04-06 11:37, Tanis wrote:
[/quote]

At least you'll have some worthwhile reading material to while away the time.

Mike

P.S. Wait a minute! Are you suggesting that all it takes to become temporarily isolated (and away from "She you must be obeyed") is to make a desireable and highly constructive purchase? If so, just change your mental perspective and you've instantly made lemonade out of lemons!! (grin) Enjoy your solitude.

P.P.S. Just curious. Which paw do you usually use to scratch at the back door asking to be let back in?
LOL!

Thanks for the great comments!

Regarding "dog house" purchases, I usually just do it if it is within reason: she will get over it eventually, and I still have the stuff!

I am glad some of the effects in THE SAFWAN PAPERS are being seen as real-world "workers" as they have been for me!

Thanks,
Bryn
I don't ask, I beg
Tanis
its cold and wet here in Wales
Just ordered a copy, sounds great.
Terrifc! Especially Lucky Nite, which is a wonderful improvement of everything similar out there! Thanks, Bryn, for this great colllection of magical--truly magical--effects.
Quite franky, "7" is worth the price of the book. I have gotten more out of it in the last week than anything I have ever purchased.
Some great real world ideas in this book, well done.

everyone should read this.
Andrew Gerard
Hey,

Could somebody provide a list of all the effects in the e-book, as I've gotten mixed information from different places.

Thanks,

Miikka
[quote]
On 2008-04-07 12:54, Miikka wrote:
Hey,

Could somebody provide a list of all the effects in the e-book, as I've gotten mixed information from different places.

Thanks,

Miikka
[/quote]

This thread outlined each item. Reread the first post.

John
Put my order in, now the u.s - uk waiting times!!!
Ok...ok...ok... I ordered it, can't say no with rave reviews like this. ARGH!
[quote]
On 2008-04-07 19:52, Lemniscate wrote:
Ok...ok...ok... I ordered it, can't say no with rave reviews like this. ARGH!
[/quote]

If you EVER trusted a product based on reviews THIS IS THE ONE!!!

You will LOVE it AND use it!

John
Y'know, when the moderatorors move a thread willy-nilly from one place to another, you'd think they'd put it in an appropriate place.

Hey mods: this review was about the HARD COPY of the book, not the E-BOOK!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
Hey guys...thanks for great reviews...they mean a lot to me.

I, too, have no idea why Richard's threat was removed from the "Penny."

I'm not going to mention threat titles or "throw anyone under the bus," but from looking at the front page right now, I can count SEVERAL threads that deal with marketed products, and there even a few there talking about books and eBooks...and those are still up and have not been moved elsewhere.

I'm not sure why Richard's post regarding my effect was singled out to be moved, yet those other threads remain in place.

Interesting.

Anyway, thank you all again.
Bryn
I ordered this today & Bryn got it to me very quickly(thanks Bryn)!

There is some really great thinking here,all of the effects are well thought out & practical. I also appreciate Bryns writing style, the book was a comfortable read for me that made me feel like Bryn was sharing all this great material with a friend.

Do yourself a favor & get this!

I smiled when I got to the $4.00 index ;) & was a little sad their wasn't more. I'm looking forward to version 2.0

Thanks Bryn,
Mike
[quote]
On 2008-04-07 23:26, Ichazod wrote:

I smiled when I got to the $4.00 index ;) & was a little sad their wasn't more.
[/quote]

You'll have to wait for the $5.00 index.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
Made me laugh, Chet...since I have been stewing a lil bit...

Ichazod: Thanks for the review...as much as you said you like the efects, I am also appreciative of how you said the writing style worked for you. I was really going to try this as a full novel, with the effects and descriptions hidden therein, but certainly don't have the time. It is going to kill me to further sort these notes out for V.2 this summer in nice weather...but I will. I DO have a full book or two in me though!

Yeah, Chet, the FIVE Dollar version will deliver the correct billet right into your waiting outstretched hand! LOL

Contemplating on the removal of Richard's post about my product, that HE started, yet other posts that someone starts about their OWN book/product remain up.... as do many threads in Penny which deal with commercial products...

makes me wonder who "reported" the thread..Steve Brooks assures me it wasn't him and will advise further...regardless...Makes me want to "report" button all of those, but since they are great guys, I wouldn't...

Perhaps this was MEANT to remain "underground" and will be legend...
Perhaps this was only a teaser for THE SAFWAN PAPERS V.2...

Perhaps I should stop releasing any more copies....NAH!...lol
Ordered and received this today. So, with no audience testing yet all I can really say is this:

FRAKING BRILLIANT!

Will post more once I can see audience response.
[quote]
On 2008-04-08 01:23, mindhunter wrote:

Perhaps this was MEANT to remain "underground" and will be legend...

[/quote]

I am in favor of this. These Bryn creations should be strictly limited.

[quote]Perhaps I should stop releasing any more copies....NAH!...lol
[/quote]

I should clarify. When I say that future Bryn creations should be strictly limited, I mean they should be strictly limited to ME. Oh, maybe we'll let Richard have a copy, but he has to promise to not tell anyone about it.

*jeep!
--Greedy Grandpa
Lol, Chet.

I so know what you mean. The way I think about it is simply that the people who are going to get the most out of Bryn's work are the real workers. Real workers get real effects, Bryn gets real money (which motivates him to release more stuff). It really does seem good enough to make you want it all to yourself though, lol.
(Cool...aparently Steve saw fit to throw this thread Richard started back on here...)

Anyway...meant to post this when it was here earlier:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2008-04-08 20:25, Dr Spektor wrote:

I've seen single routines sell from $15-60 around here... and Byrn has taken the effort to write up the routines in such detail with tons of good effects that can be tweeked into lots of different things... I'd estimate this book should have sold for $100 at least. Bravo!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to announce a slight price..."adjustment"...to THE SAFWAN PAPERS...

I'M KIDDING!...but I certainly appreciate the sentiment and thoughtful comments, good DR.

I am most greateful that others I shared this with pre-publication expressed similar views regarding pricing. However, honestly, I placed the price points (eBook and printed) where they are for a few reasons:

There WILL hopefully be a release of "THE SAFWAN PAPERS V.2" later this summer(although with another pending National Guard deployment it may have to get rolled into an "Afghanistan Papers" variant...) and I do want to have enough people see the first TSP to generate interest in that tome as well. Those that purchase
TSP "V.1" know I have a "teaser" of the upcoming effects in my conclusion section.

Another reason is that it may generate more interest in my individually-offered effects. Those have been reviewed quite well and are still play as strong as ever.

I could have sold FEWER of this book at a HIGHER price...and realized the same gains. And those "gains" are not why I do this. I mention that in the book. Sure, the few bucks I make helps fuel a couple of hobby addictions, perhaps, but quite honestly it is a huge ego boost to me know that routines & effects that I have developed not only play very strongly for ME are also considered "workers" for others as well.

By the way...it was posted in a thread that it was nice to see a picture of me other than my avatar. (from the book...and those that I dedicated it to steal the show, don't they?) Here is my other site, with more pics and videos...where my other sideline IS a source of income:

http://www.ipdsNY.com

Thanks for all the great commnents on THE SAFWAN PAPERS...I appreciate it!
Bryn
[quote]
On 2008-04-07 12:21, princehal wrote:
Quite franky, "7" is worth the price of the book. I have gotten more out of it in the last week than anything I have ever purchased.
[/quote]

Seven is Heaven.

DT3
[quote]
On 2008-04-09 01:33, Don Theo III wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-04-07 12:21, princehal wrote:
[/quote]

Seven is Heaven.
DT3
[/quote]
LOL! Thanks, Don...
Bryn
[quote]
I could have sold FEWER of this book at a HIGHER price...and realized the same gains. And those "gains" are not why I do this. I mention that in the book. Sure, the few bucks I make helps fuel a couple of hobby addictions, perhaps, but quite honestly it is a huge ego boost to me know that routines & effects that I have developed not only play very strongly for ME are also considered "workers" for others as well.

Bryn
[/quote]

Amen, Bryn! Hold your ground, bro'! There need to be more authors taking this stance. You are offering an excellent product at a fair price...and proving to others that it isn't necessarily all about the money.

I'm in your camp on this one.

Best,
Mick
Bryn,

First an foremost thank you, not just for a great book but also your service, my daughter is over in the green zone and being ex military myself, I can only imagine what you had to go thru.

Love the spin on bank night with "Your Luck Night" I am adding it to my routines. I have also joined the "Seven" bandwagon.

Great job!

Omar
Bryn,

First, let me thank you for bending over backwards in helping me download your wonderful E book. We had some computer issues but you were nice enough to spend your time on Sunday to make sure I finally received your book.

Anyway, I now had a chance to go over the routines more thoroughly and certainly concur with the unanimous decision of others that the book is a real winner with material that performers will use. The routines are inspirational and are full of ideas that can be used for other applications.

Please let me know when you've completed your sequel as I want to be first in line.
Thanks again.

Steve
Mick: I appreciate the comments on my pricing...while I am glad others say I should have charged much more, I have posted here, and have written in the book, why I do what I do...

Omar: Thanks for YOUR service, and I'll pray for the safe return of your daughter. It was a LONG year over there..tell her I was part of a Q.R.F.
I am glad you are performing the effects!

Steve: Seems to be an AOL-specific issue in accepting a PDF that big..but I am glad we worked it out and that you like my brand of mentalism...Thanks!

I again thank all that are jumping on for this ride!

Life is too short for us not to be able to really read someone's mind at the drop of a hat, sans any props while still making it entertaining.....

Bryn
A little ironic with the to and fro from Mick and Bryn, two fellas that charge a pittance for treasures.

I have praised TSP all over the place, but I just have to say it again but in different words.

Between performances, I have little else to do but to obsess over mentalism.

Then Bryn comes along, whilst fighting insurgents and interrogating gang members, and delivers groundbreakers.

BR, I am both jealous of your talents and thrilled with your contributions.

And in the words of the fabulous Ms. Spears...

Gimme Gimme More!

DT3
Geeez, Don...thanks for those kind words!

(and there may be more later this summer with V.2, 2.0...whatever unimaginative name I decide to call it...)

Bryn
Well I've had the Safwan Papers for a few days now and finally had time to work through the stuff. It is a great little resource. Every routine is workable practical and cleverly thought through.... I think that everything in their will get played with by me at some point. Thanks Bryn. Now I'm too curious about your other stuff...... dang!

John
Thank you, John...and coming from one that puts out great material as you do...that is great praise indeed!...

Bryn
Thank god Im so rich.....I will get this Safwan thing!.....
Since joining The Magic Café I have been alerted to some real gems. Switchcraft, Ponderings, The Tommy Pad, Mitox and now The Safwan Papers.

These items are treasures and have been truly delighted with them all.

I have only had The Safwan Papers for a few days but have already had huge fun and great reactions from performing Seven and BOHT and Lucky Nite is something I too will be including in my act.

For anyone undecided or in two minds about The Safwan Papers, get it. This will be one of the classics of 2008.
I think BOHT really stands for Ba**s of Hard Titanium - still my fav!
Neil:

Thank you for placing my book in the same category as some of those other great mentalism effects that seem to be available almost nowhere else other than word of mouth on the Café. I apreciate it, and I know that those of us that release things on our own love the feedback posted here, as that is how word spreads.

The Good DR: Yes, you stumbled onto my secret acronym!
Couldn't be said better, though...modesty aside, if you have the stones to do BOHT as I've laid it down, ....well, you know...and I know you now know.

I have been doing some brainstorming with Jerome Finley regarding this "principle," and those that purchased his Thought Channel would be well served to get on board for his limited release "Supplement" (or whatever he ends up calling it...) My BOHT is detailed there as well, along with some other similar "methodologies." We are getting SO close to doing SO much with NOTHING other than us and them...

Thanks again for all the great comments on my book THE SAFWAN PAPERS!

Bryn
Well heres my take, I received this book yesterday in the post, it was delivered in 6 days from america to the uk which is very quick and which I'm very grateful.

1st of all I was most pleased to find out the meaning of the safwan was as I'm probably not alone in wondering what the hell it meant so once that was cleared up I was happy already! also I found it was important that bryn explained who he was and what he did rather than went straight in, I found once I had an understanding of the man who wrote the book it helps to see the logic of certain parts of the book the further you get in.

I have to admit ive done seven 4 times already, I'm a prison officer so was reading this at work when I was on a boring job that involved sitting around, the good part of it is theres always a guinee pig ready to test your work out on in prison, if it works hooray if it doesn't they aint got nobody to tell anyways! but needless to say seven went down well and with a bit more presentation its 1 of those you will never leave home without, mainly because you don't need anything!!!

your lucky nite seems to be a winner and I think I'm going to acquire the necessary things to do the job as soon as I can as really looking forward to playing with this.

Himberstring sounds like a fun little game to play and am searching for the tools for the job at the moment

the other effects have great potential in the right hands but I cannot see myself doing these at the moment as not ready to try them but others are raving about these so theres something for everyone in here.

Lastly the great thing is in this book there are effects that would sell just as well as single effects but this isn't what the author wanted, hes put a collection of mentalism effects for mentalists, he could easily of done what many other performers are doing and flooding the market with 95% crap for finacial gain but he hasnt. my view is if you are only going to buy 1 more thing this year make sure its the Safwan papers
Beds:

Thanks much for taking the time to write up a review.

I very much appreciate the sentiments and am glad you are enjoying the book!

I find it both ironic, amusing, and actually heartwarming, that you are indeed performing one of my routines before a captive audience, don't you? :devilish:
Well after reading your tales of captive performances I thought why not!

if I want to perform this guys tricks I gotta do it the right way! except mine was an india not an iraqi
There is no way I can improve the reviews already written.

Must-Buy of 2008: absolutely
Practical routines: you bet

Just two little "negative" points:
[list]
[*] "Seven" requires a little subtlety in English, which is difficult to transpose into another language, and there the "international" performer will have to use another method for this particular step in the routine.
[*] The $4 index translated into Euros or Swiss Francs becomes the $30 or $40 index ;)
[/list]

Should an non-english performer nonetheless buy this gem? ABSOLUTELY

Furthermore, if you ignore all the effects, the book is a wonderful read for all the anecdotes related to them.

Bryn, thank you very much for a wonderful read and for the new "weapons" in my arsenal

Sincerely, Matt
Just purchased TSP from outlaw, I thought it was instant download. How am I supposed to receive this? and the most important part, WHEN???
[quote]
On 2008-04-18 12:58, iambest wrote:
Just purchased TSP from outlaw, I thought it was instant download. How am I supposed to receive this? and the most important part, WHEN???
[/quote]

whew!
[quote]
On 2008-04-18 12:58, iambest wrote:
[/quote]

Not to sound rude, but if you had read the information on the webpage, you would have seen that the ebook would be emailed to you, and when to expect it.
Somehow skipped that part. I'll go check it out. Thanks!
I ordered mine yesterday (PDF version) and Bryn emailed me my copy with in a couple of hours, even though he wasn't at home at the time. Now that's service!

I haven't read it all yet but "Seven" is fantastic! Once I read it over again a couple of more times, I will definetly be using it.

Thanks!
Allan
Got it! Thanks Bryn! *Reading...
Great book! Everything is actually practical!
I "ditto" all the accolades (once again).

I have been traveling a lot for business lately and have taken "Safwan Papers" with me. With each reading and contemplation, I just have to smile all over again. These really are wonderfully creative, yet direct, routines and methods. Perfect!

Sean
7 is now my all time favorite quickie. I even did it over the phone with a preset (in the persons office) reveal. I left them a written message to call me...

Worked like a charm.
Bryn,
I know I emailed you privately with my thoughts but just wanted to put them out there. There are some real gems in this little collection. Thanks again!

Ken
Thanks for all the nice words and for taking the time to post them!

I am glad THE SAFWAN PAPERS book and eBook is quickly become something of a "cult hit." I am honored at the volume and depth of the reviews!

There are a couple of comments that I want to comment on individually, but wanted to throw this out there and thank those that clarified that this is NOT an instant download...I do them all myself, one at a time, as stated. Depending on where I am, it can take up to a day, but sometimes just minutes.

Thanks!
Bryn
[quote]
On 2008-04-20 17:09, mindhunter wrote:

I am glad THE SAFWAN PAPERS book and eBook is quickly become something of a "cult hit." ***

Bryn
[/quote]

Bryn,

And, let's keep it that way.

I've got my copy. Time to withdraw all future sales. (grin)

Mike
I have this (received within a few minutes to clarify those preceding queries) and have to say what a worthless piece of cr*p this thing is...

OK, that's not true but you've got to admit this thread was getting boring in its endless high praise. And I too am going to do exactly the same thing and add my own high praise to the list.

This really is a treasure, and incredible value for the price. As many have said, this is a collection of well thought out and ingenious effects that are all solid workable material, covering a diverse range of effects and approaches.

And Bryn has put a lot of himself into the book and there are lots of personal observations and asides that add an extra dimension to the work.

As someone else who lives and works in a third world country, I found his background information on BOHT, and his observations on cultural attitudes to magic of great interest. Will send Bryn some interesting additional material on the same.

Many have praised SEVEN which is an excellent variant on a popular technique with an added extra lovely linguistic layer.

My favourite though is YOUR LUCKY NIGHT- which for me is thus far the last word on Bank Night effects- the only version I know in which everything lies in the hands of the spectators- and the method is disguised in a manner that brought a huge grin to my face as I read it.

It is a seriously clever piece of work.

But enough of this- stop reading all the rave reviews and just get the darn thing. You won't regret it.
Again, this book must be praised for it's freshness in approach and excellent subtleties. Bryn has covered all the details very well for each of his routines and IMHO he has created true 'mentalism' pieces due to the simple, minimal props needed and psychologically based methods. Outstanding book destined to be a cult classic.

Cheers,
Al
I've had so much fun with SEVEN I haven't used anything else yet except the hand thing. I test that out quite a bit.

John
I just received TSP yesterday and just could not stop my reading. The first effect is "Seven" and it is sooooo clever, I had to read this book further - thinking in myself "Ok, that was the good one, let's see the other effects". Believe it or not, every effect is great. It was so good, I had again that "Why didn't I think of that myself" *** syndrom running in my head all the day (and still today as I a writing these lines....)
The effects are great, the methods are great, the descriptions are great - and even the anecdotes are great. Most of the material use everyday objects, most are impromptu, most can be presented in close-up, platform, or on stage - and most of them will open you mind to new directions for new effects.
And - when I see the pictures of Bryn Reynols doing his "other" job (see his non magic site) I understand that when he is doing the "magician's choice" - he is giving you a proposition that you can't refuse. Just kidding.
May I add my appreciation for a book of anecdotal writing? All too often we get the bare bones of effects, but have absolutely no insight into the person or the person's life. The Safwan Papers is interesting even without the strong effects.

How many banknights do we need? Not many more after Bryn's take on it. Strong and easy. Seven is getting the Knepperphiles Kranking...a rare do-it-with-nothing impromptu powerhouse. And his instruction of the Koran thing, during one of his effects, is the clearest most understandable explanations I think I've ever read.

Bryn is continuing a strong record of strong offerings. A very good buy and a definite bullet-point on his Mentalism resume. I hope it's not too long before Safwan 2 hits the market.
I couldn't agree more about the anecdotal writing. Apart from the brilliant effects, this added extra meaning to the book and how some of the effects evolved. I was fascinated - and like so many others, eagerly await Bryn's next offering.
I had to purchase this after reading all the wonderful things about it. So many times I've fallen into this trap only to be disappointed. I am happy to say that TSP has greatly exceeded my expectations.

TSP is a fascinating read because of the stories Bryn tells and the history of the effects. He shares quite a bit about his life and some amazing stories of how these effects began. It was terrific for him to share this with us as opposed to other ebooks that are filled with hype about the thing you just paid for!

Seven is great, as others have said. I was familar with the concept but I think Bryn's ideas make it seem more natural. I was most impressed with Your Lucky Nite and Bottle Cap Koran.

BOHT is simply remarkable and summarizes the whole theme of the effects. This is really clever. The story behind it makes it legendary.

It was great that Bryn makes you read the effect of Your Lucky Nite from the spectator's position. I was reading it and thinking how impossible it sounded, there's no way the spectator's can ACTUALLY do that. I was confident the method c ouldn't meet all the requirements laid out. But it does. This is real magic.

I have only 2 "negative" things to say.
- The PDF is very nice, however it is lacking a table of contents.
- I will not use *******-string simply because I do not have what is required. Most of you might, but I don't. I like the concept and the effect gives you a lot of freedom. I might end up buying what's needed just for this.

You need to buy this. It's really that good.
Another exceptional offering by Bryn.
[quote]
On 2008-04-23 17:36, facebooktricks wrote:
I have only 2 "negative" things to say.
- The PDF is very nice, however it is lacking a table of contents.
- I will not use *******-string simply because I do not have what is required. Most of you might, but I don't. I like the concept and the effect gives you a lot of freedom. I might end up buying what's needed just for this.

You need to buy this. It's really that good.
[/quote]

NO table of contents -- negative? huh?

$20 for the special something. negative? Huh?

JC

PS: Huh?
I have just finished reading through TSP. Wow! What fantastic collection of effects from a very creative mind. All the effects have very simple methods but all result in an incredibly powerful performance. I was blown away by ‘Your Lucky Nite’. Very simple in method that lends itself to the finest most convincing bank night effects I’ve ever read. Seven is also going to become part of my impromptu arsenal, a finely honed script does all the magic. BOHT is bold and beautiful, and yes I believe I have the B***s for this, it’s too good not to perform it.

All the effects are clean, simple and very strong. The publication is very well written. Bryn, the person is interwoven into each page, making a very enjoyable read.

This pdf cost a fraction over £15 and is worth many times more. Recommended
I agree on "Your Lucky Nite".. As I said before I consider this the last word on Bank Night effects- and the way the method is wrapped up in the fairness of the handling is ingenious... I would have paid the same (or more) for this one effect...

Personally, I've recovered from the emotional trauma caused by the lack of table of contents... :)
A production of Harvey I directed opened last night. I did 7 with the cast before curtain last night, having them pass what remains of the "deck" around, different people making the choice at each step.

Worked beautifully.
I have recently finished this and played around with some of the effects for the last week. For your $30, you will receive a well laid out Ebook containing four mental-themed effects, one subtlety/handing for a “which hand” routine, and one idea for the construction of a utility item. Each of the effects has an impromptu feel. Three could actually be done impromptu, while one (I’ll leave you to determine which) will require a certain gimmicked item, which can be purchased for $20 to $30. One effect, “Your Lucky Nite,” could be done close up, parlour, or even on stage. Here are my thoughts on each.

SEVEN
This is Mr. Reynold’s approach to the psychological card force. Similar effects include “Invisible Deal Force” by Derren Brown, “Red Handed” by Sean Waters, and “Scorch” by Greg Arce. Essentially, the mentalist is able to place down a prediction, and then through a series of verbal cues and subterfuges, guide the spectator to arrive at the predicted card under the guise that they are making free choices all along. There is a very Knepper-esque quality to this routine. As in most of these effects, it will not work 100% of the time, but even when it doesn’t work, you will be very close, and as Mr. Reynolds points out, will be able to take credit for being so near the mark. I like Mr. Reynold’s approach, and believe it is likely to succeed more often than some of the others I’ve seen. As with other effects of this type, however, you would not want to repeat this effect to the same person or group. If you are interested in this type effect, you should definitely check out Seven.

BOTTLE CAP KORAN
This is a three phase routine (the second phase can be extended indefinitely) in which the mentalist is able to determine the location of a borrowed coin placed by a spectator while the mentalist’s back is turned several times, and then turns over a prediction made at the beginning to reveal he predicted his hit/miss rate and (sometimes) the date on the coin. This is not my favorite of the routines. The first phase would not appear very impressive to me as a spectator. The second phase involves a process that seems overly procedural and not at all like what a real mentalist would do if he were able to divine the location of the coin. I think it makes the entire thing look like a puzzle rather than a piece of direct mentalism, though I have no doubt most people would be fooled by it. The final prediction simply confuses the issue of what power the mentalist was to be demonstrating. After revealing the correct location several times, the mentalist reveals that he knew before he started how many times he would be right or wrong and (sometimes) what the date on the coin would be. To me, this just seems confusing, but I know others will disagree. In any event, if you like the premise, this is one that can usually be set up impromptu and will fool people.

YOUR LUCKY NITE
Much has already been written about this effect on these boards, and I agree that it is a very good take on the Bank Nite routine. The spectator does virtually all the handling and yet the mentalist is able to determine which of several envelopes another spectator’s bill is in. The mentalist will need five envelopes, a pen, several slips of paper, and a few minutes before the effect begins to set up. In this way, the effect could be done relatively impromptu (assuming the mentalist can round up these necessary items), but I believe it would play much stronger and make more sense if presented the way Mr. Reynolds does, which will require some special materials (non-gimmicked, but not something you are likely to have on you at a moment’s notice). This is fine, since I think this would play better as a parlour/cabaret type effect than a close up effect. It is inherently theatrical and works best if drama could be introduced incrementally, which is difficult to accomplish in impromptu settings. I have one minor issue with the effect in that the envelopes, which are mixed face down throughout (a definite strength of the routine), are turned face up before being eliminated, which seems a bit inconsistent to me (and may tip off magicians), but I don’t doubt that this will fly by most spectators.

BOHT
Rather than a separate effect, I would characterize this as a handling/ subtlety/ out for a “which hand” routine when you really don’t know which hand the object is in. Personally, I would never use this, as it seems obvious to me and would not allow for a repeat performance. I don’t think any “which hand” routine is that impressive to an audience unless it is done several times to rule out guessing or chance. If I were a spectator, this particular approach would send up red flags immediately that guessing may be involved, leaving me anxious for a second run. But that would not be forthcoming. Nonetheless, Mr. Reynolds presents this as an option to take when you simply must be right, and by that criteria, it does fit the bill. You will appear to be right no matter which hand the object is in.

HIMBERSTRING
This effect uses a gimmick which is readily available and surely owned by many magicians and mentalists. Mr. Reynolds notes that the effect has a “Bank Nite” feel to it, and I would agree. Several strings protrude from the mentalist’s closed fist. The spectators remove the strings one at a time, hoping to leave a prize attached to the last one. Finally, one string remains and it does indeed contain the prize. Mr. Reynolds adds a cute and clever presentation to this simple effect, which would surely play to all ages.

$4 BILLET INDEX
Mr. Reynolds has provided instructions for construction of an index that will fit inside any wallet and hold eight billets. The cost: four dollars, and some tape. This is a great idea for those who like to use indexes, but hate having to carry a special gimmicked wallet around. For those who use a gimmicked wallet that already contains a built in index, this will provide eight more index slots. This is certainly a clever idea that many will find very useful.

Overall, I would recommend this Ebook to anyone with any interest in the above categories of effects and who has first mastered the materials of Osterlind, Banachek, Corinda, Cassidy, Knepper, Waters, Earle and Becker. There is much here to like.
Excellent ideas Bryn, I like your book very much! I especially like Seven and the 4$ billet index. But a word of caution: if you don't live in USA and you don't speak English in your country, you will have to do some thinking on few of the tricks, but it's definately worth it.

Thanks Bryn for the book!

Miikka
I am truly humbled at astonishing, and in-depth, reviews that The Safwan Papers has received!

Thank you all very much for posting!

Bryn
I have always enjoyed presenting effects for friends via email. And I have found a way to perform SEVEN. If you already have The Safwan Papers and are interested, do PM me.

Neil
Just Got this, had a quick look at work and will have a more in depth read later but really like the ideas. Love the $4 index and the thinking behind "your lucky night". I can understand why this is getting the praise it is now.

Great stuff Bryn

Andy
(gonzo, lol)
I hope that other interested parties do not judge an offering such as SAFWAN PAPERS as and end to itself. All I have ever wanted from any purchase in our field of interest is to learn the principle involved and then apply it to whatever presentation I can think of. As mentalists I have always believed that we should first and foremost be thinkers, not copiers. I would never want to perform an effect exactly as the originator provided. Where is the challenge in that? We should all want to be different. For example, I have always sought the perfect (?) reading of a bill's serial number. By gathering a piece here and another there I am constantly trying to improve it. The latest "breakthru" was in the TRI ANGLE booklet. As good as it is presented my presentation would be different. Don't mean to be preaching to the choir.
[quote]
On 2008-05-05 13:42, NeilS wrote:
I have always enjoyed presenting effects for friends via email. And I have found a way to perform SEVEN. If you already have The Safwan Papers and are interested, do PM me.

Neil
[/quote]

Neil: Thanks for being so kind to share this with others!

Again, I am very appreciative for all the nice comments!
Bryn
I've just used a combination of email and phone for presenting Seven. Initiate the call and tell them you've sent them an email. Do Seven over the phone and then tell them to open the email. I attached a jpg image of the playing card. Brilliant reaction :)
As the many who contacted me about my email version of Seven will know, I am a great fan of email mentalism. However I have just read Derek's suggestion - what a fantastic master stroke. Thank you Derek. A stroke of genius to an already brilliant effect.
Derek:

What a great idea for a remote presentation of SEVEN!

Thanks!
I'm just back from a 2 hour table hopping gig for a major client. For the first time, I gave Seven a serious, real world, on the field, working pro, test! This effect got some fantastic reactions. Seven is so clean and so strong. It reads well on paper, it performs outstandingly well in reality. I could not believe some of the stunned reactions I got especially when I get the spectator to turn over the card that's been in front of them throughout the routine. This is so much fun to perform, the routine is so fluid. Okay lets just say I had an absolute blast tonight and what made it so was the reactions from SEVEN. Bryn, truly awesome, well done and thanks for sharing this gem with us.
Thanks, Derek...I appreciate the comment, and more so the fact that you are USING these effects!

Bryn
[quote]
On 2008-05-04 19:19, mindhunter wrote:
I am truly humbled at astonishing, and in-depth, reviews that The Safwan Papers has received!

Thank you all very much for posting!

Bryn
[/quote]

I really enjoyed reading something so accomplished and detailed: http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0712safwanpapers.html
Seven IS powerful. I write the prediction on a piece of paper, fold it up and have a spec hold in their tightly clenched fist. This is the only way they believe I had no way of switching a card or paper prediction layed on the table.

J
I performed Seven this weekend around a group of people and it just floored. since I was in a group of people, I used a different person for each elimination phase of the cards. When the final card was arrived at and matched my prediction card everyone was just speechless. I really like Seven because it allows you to really hone presentation skills. The Safan papers is a tremendous e-book and I am already working up the bank night effect for an upcoming get together.
I've got to add my kudos for TSP. "Seven" is great and I use it regularly. I love the "Bank Night" routine and have a feeling it'll be BOHT subtlety that'll I'll use a lot. Congrats to Bryn.
I just performed 'Your Lucky Nite' for a group of magician friends. Several offered suggestions on its method, none were correct. It's right in front of their faces but it flies by un-noticed. Fantastic!
I have just ordered this and am eagerly awaiting the emailed book to be sent! I could no longer resist after reading review after review!

Chad
Thanks very much for the kind words everyone, and it great to see a review posted at Online Visions....I very much enjoy that site!

Bryn
Hi folks,

Well, I finally got "The Safwan Papers" and am quite impressed.

The overall appearance of the e-book is very professional. It’s well written and edited, as well as nicely laid out.

But enough about presentation, lets talk about content.

Just about all the material is good for close-up work, and that’s right up my alley.

I literally just finished the book, so I obviously haven’t had an opportunity to try the stuff out. Still, I’ll give my initial thoughts on each item.

Seven – A spectator goes through a bit of a process to decide on an imaginary card. The mentalist is shown to have predicted the outcome.

This is one of those low-prop AAA items that everyone loves.

There is a possibility that you will be slightly off. However, if desired, it can easily be eliminated by introducing another well liked (at least by me) technique.

I wasn’t so keen on the two “same as aboves” on page 14. Technically, they are not “same as above,” but the spectators may “buy it” anyways.

Seven looks to be a real winner.

Bottle Cap Koran – This is a very nice “Fogelesque” twist on an old effect. I like it.

Lucky Nite – This is a great Bank Nite routine with an ingenious method. I suspect that many will add Lucky Nite to their acts. It’s that good!

BOHT – An ingenious way to make it look like you’re always right on those “which hand” tests. It’s very bold, but definitely great for an emergency.

Himberstring – Another clever “bank nite” style effect. I like it. Gotta buy that prop.

The $4 Billet Index – A utility item that turns your regular wallet into something akin to an index wallet. This should be very nice if you’re into effects like “Heirloom” and “Kolossal Killer.”

Gone fishing….

It’s kind of unfair to fish for a negative, when the overall product is so good. Still, I’ll do it anyways. Muhahahaha!!

The only downside to “The Safwan Papers” is a result of the upside. Bryn is so clever with his actions and patter, that I would love to see his full script for every effect in the e-book…just in case I missed a single subtlety. Still, that took some REAL fishing.

Overall, “The Safwan Papers” is a really great e-book. Highly recommended!!

Elliott
[quote]
On 2008-04-05 13:27, Richard Osterlind wrote:
When I was first starting out in mentalism, I couldn’t wait to buy everything that came on the market. Now, I usually get sent the newest offerings in the field. Frankly, there is not much I get excited about anymore. Most manuscripts are basically slight variations or modifications of existing material that hardly justify their high price tags. Such is not the case with Bryn Reynolds.

I have already said some very kind things about the Safwan Papers. I received these effects individually when Bryn was compiling the book. He recently sent me the hardbound version which I took along with me on a rigorous series of shows to re-read back in the hotel room. I am now going to further wax enthusiastically about these effects!

Seven is great! You need only your mouth and a piece of paper to do an incredibly strong mental card effect. Bryn’s logic is unassailable in putting together the hard hitting piece of mentalism. You write a prediction, the spectator mentally chooses a card in an extremely fair way, and your prediction matches. Just like that!

Bottle cap Koran is something you just have to have in your repertoire. When you are in a position where you want to do a great routine and have virtually no props with you (or have done just about everything in your normal close-up act) you will be glad you know this. It is hard to imagine an impromptu effect having this much juice! It is classic killer material with 2 (that’s right TWO) devastating punches thrown in!

I LOVE Your Lucky Nite. It is different from the one I use in my shows and I have developed another handling of it for a different effect. I’m not going to tip it until you see it on a DVD, but even though I have changed it somewhat, the basic routine is Bryn’s and I would have never come up with it without this version. When you study material like this, you always have to look at how to make it your own. Bryn’s is always so good that it is easy to do that.

BOHT is sooo clever! I won’t say more about this other than it works. All the time! It is ingenious thinking that should make you apply this kind of logic to other routines.

The String Routine reminds me of an idea that I used to use years ago with some felt strips and a safety pin. But this is better as you are much cleaner at the end. Bryn has found a way to use a classic prop in a brand new way. This is one of the reasons I admire Bryn so much.

Finally, the $4 Billet Index reminds me of some older books where the author will give you some great ideas for utility devices that have a thousand uses. I doubt if you can come up with a better Index than this one. Basically, it is so good because it is invisible! (Well not really, but it may as well be!) To top it off, and Bryn doesn’t really mention this, but no one will suspect it or want to touch it because of its very nature! (I will let you figure that one out after you read it!)

Want I want to end with doesn’t really talk about the effects. Rather, it is the feeling (for want of a better word) that one gets when you read this material. You just KNOW that it is audience tested in the harshest conditions. I can’t tell you how many times someone will send me something brand new that they thought up and put right into a manuscript without having ever DONE IT!!! (And I don’t mean at the local magic club)

This is TESTED material and you can tell just by reading it. You will not be surprised when you perform this stuff by some variable that is not covered in the well-written instructions. Bryn has performed these routines over and over again and worked out everything for you! This is real mentalism of the highest order.

Richard
[/quote]

Richard, I know you are a busy man. I can understand you have little free time because of all your traveling around the world on a regular basics. I just wanted to thank you for donating your time with us by your wonderful comments. A lot of us will not be where we are if it wasn't for you. I want to thank you forever, but forever isn't long enough.

Bryn, I never knew you were into writing books. Well, I guess I should of known because of your knowledgeable post. Yea, I know, it was my fault for not putting two and two together. I will purchase the book soon as I finish this post. I can't wait. And for those of you who do not know the link to the website, try: http://www.mindmagic.myfoolmoon.com/whats_new.html
I got mine yesterday...not had chance to read it thoroughly, but what I have so far - I am mightily impressed, and echo the thanks to Bryn for releasing his thoughts to us...
Elliot: Thanks for the play-by-play review! I can't wait until you try them out for spectators!

Dynamike: I never knew I was into writing them either....when you get the book you will know why I WANTED to write it, and it flowed out over several very expensive glasses of bourbon on a quite a few cold winter nights trying to decipher my notes.....I am most thankful it has been this well-recieved.

Abraxus: Glad it crossed the pond alright, and can't wait for your review...

Thanks, all.

Bryn
Hi folks,

I ordered TSP ebook last friday and I'm waiting for my copy. Does anybody know something about the delay?

Thanks,

Carlos Camacho
Have you emailed the address you paypaled?

Andy
Yes Andy, I emailed the address.

Thanks for your attention.

Carlos Camacho
Hi,

I'm asking for your help again.
I ordered THE SAFWAN PAPERS ebook 4 days ago and I'm waiting for my copy.
Does anybody know something about this?
I sent 2 PM to Bryn and nothing.
Could you give some information?

thanks,

Carlos
From where did you order it? I'm assuming from the Outlaw site. Yes/no?

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
[quote]
On 2008-06-10 09:13, mormonyoyoman wrote:
From where did you order it? I'm assuming from the Outlaw site. Yes/no?

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
[/quote]

Yes,

From Outlaw site. I payed to diveteam@adelphia.net by Paypal.

Thanks for your attention, Grandpa Chet.

Carlos
If you paid via paypal using a bank account instead of a credit card it can take some time for the payment to clear (7-10 business days usually) and you may not get the book until it does clear.

[quote]
On 2008-06-10 06:09, camacho wrote:
Hi,

I'm asking for your help again.
I ordered THE SAFWAN PAPERS ebook 4 days ago and I'm waiting for my copy.
Does anybody know something about this?
I sent 2 PM to Bryn and nothing.
Could you give some information?

thanks,

Carlos
[/quote]
Xtasy0,

I paid by credit card.

Thanks.

Carlos
This is strange, because Outlaw's e-books tend to instantly download. Did you Paypal payment go through?

*jeep!
==Grandpa Chet
There's a information at site that the copy will be sent via email, but nothing until now.

Carlos.
Carlos:

It has been sent twice and shows it having been received...please check you spam filter and let me know if there is anything more I can do.

The book is NOT an instant download...I send each copy individualy as the PayPal payment is received...usually this takes no more than a day, sometime a few minutes if I am near a computer.

(I am out of the USA, but I am getting internet access about every-other day, and I will hopefully be back home this weekend.)

Thanks again, everyone for all of the great comments, and for all of the nice variants you have PM and emailed me!

Bryn
I did a recent 'Fringe' event with Lucky Nite going down very well. As one envelope got shreaded I said "Oh! That sounded like the metal strip getting shreaded..." LOL (UK notes have fine metal strips woven into the notes to deter fraud)

Just for a laugh here are acouple of images from the show.
Sorry for extra posts haveing probs uploading to my website so I'm attaching them to posts :blush:
Last one - I'm the guy on the left BTW :)
Yes I watched the show. As you can see from the photographs, Kinesis played Sean Connery like fine violin. I hear Kinesis he invited you back to his place to do a private show afterwards, is this true?
bobser
That's all right, Bryn!

I got the copy now!

Thanks for your attention.

Carlos.
Cheers Bobser, I wasn't going to name-drop as this was quite an exclusive gig. You should know all about the private show afterwards, I believe you were the star turn. :P
Hey!!! That thing with Rod Stewart was all a bit of fun ok? We're both straight actually!!!
Carlos...I'm glad your copy arrived ok...thanks again for the order!

Derek:

I was going to say that looked like Connery!

...I am glad to hear (no, HONERED to hear...) one of my effects played very well for James Bond...LOL!

Thanks,
Bryn
[quote]
On 2008-06-13 19:36, mindhunter wrote:

...I am glad to hear (no, HONERED to hear...) one of my effects played very well for James Bond...LOL!
[/quote]

James Bond, my eye! That was Indiana Jones's father, no Jimmy-come-lately! <g>

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet (Who admires the SEASONED action heroes.)
Listen hear Trebeck!
I've just met someone I had not seen for over a month and they still remembered my performing SEVEN on them.

For someone to remember an effect like that speaks volumes.

And I have recently been experimenting with another of Bryn's fine creations, his ESPnvelope. A very clever and effective idea.
After Chicago US Mail led to a challenging delivery situation (big thanks to Bryn for following up over and over - top notch integrity), I'm really digging the Safwan Papers. Have used BOHT several times and am going to start working Seven over the next week.

The thinking put into this as well as the ideas offered are surpising wonderful to read and understand. Great stuff, Bryn!
Neil: I am very glad to hear that! Performed well, SEVEN can leave a memorable impact.

Mike: I was beginning to fear that your mailman was a closet mentalist! I am glad a copy finialy made it to you, and thanks for the nice comments.

Bryn
Okay;

I was wondering, has anyone ever performed seven over the phone?

If so, I'd love to talk to you, as I'm having a crisis in confidence with the piece of language used at the point where you deal off'ah' red or black. I'd love to hear someone else do it before I road test it.
I shared this with Bryn and others before. I changed the script so that my Uncle Vito, from the old country, is the one who made the selection and I am showing the effect on his behalf. A lot of the directions are given in an Italian accent. "Pleeza, nowa deal offa da spades or clubsa. Whicha one?"

and then "Okay deal off of the spades" in the normal way.

I think you get the idea. It can of course, be done without, but I was able to do it with more confidence this way this way the first few times.
[quote]
On 2008-06-17 10:01, auktionman007 wrote:
Okay;

If so, I'd love to talk to you, as I'm having a crisis in confidence with the piece of language used at the point where you deal off'ah' red or black. I'd love to hear someone else do it before I road test it.
[/quote]

My recommendation is: Just don't worry about it. This verbal subtlety is nice, but in my opinion not necessary for a successful performance. As long as you are confident, your spectator will assume you said what you suggest you said.
[quote]
On 2008-06-17 18:09, lumberjohn wrote:
[quote]
Okay;

[/quote]

My recommendation is: Just don't worry about it. This verbal subtlety is nice, but in my opinion not necessary for a successful performance. As long as you are confident, your spectator will assume you said what you suggest you said.
[/quote]

Thanks, Lumberjohn...couldn't have said it better myself.

I am glad SEVEN has received the attention that is has. I was hoping it would be the "sleeper" of the book. I knew "Your Lucky Nite" and "BOHT" would carry the book, and was reluctant to tip SEVEN in this volume, but now I'm glad I did because I appreciate all the feedback!

I'm not tipping too much here (even if I do, SEVEN is MINE, so I CAN....!) by saying this, but by dropping the "ah" off OF "off-AH" is certainly not a deal breaker at all...just a nice little linguistic touch.

I don't always use it, and it certainly isn't always even HEARD in the loud bars that I sometimes peform in. It really is just a nice "touch."

The suggestions above are great...and if that character fits, use it, as RLFrame was gracious enough to post it for all of us.

Regarding performing SEVEN over the phone or email:
I certainly have done, and still do, both. And this a great way to practice the script....YOU CAN READ RIGHT FROM THE BOOK!

Howevever, I have found this plays so strong, for me at least, that you MUST make sure that your prediction is COMPLETELY unequivocal. There can be no outs, nor even the appearance of any.

Easy to do in person with the one face-down prediction. A little harder to do over the phone. It has to be mailed or emailed to them in advance...or:

Next time you are at their house...write ********** down in one of their books. Call them, tell them to take out that book. Do the effect and THEN direct them to that page where it is written. Or place it in their freezer...or write it in the dust on their back windshield...etc. What can YOU come up with?

Thanks!
Bryn
[quote]
Okay;

[/quote]

I've performed it over the phone (as mentioned in this thread) it's all down to confidence and fluidity of the script. Go give it a try. I don't always use the 'ahh' bit either. Your instincts tell you whether it's suitable or not. Never been rumbled yet. Go get 'em auktionman007

Derek
Please excuse me for taking so long to get back with you after receiving Safwan Papers, but I wanted to read it all before giving a review.

I will give Safwan Papers an A plus. Bryn, if you would not have thought of those ideas, nobody else would of thought of it. And it is amasing how those wonderful ideas came in your mind a tough moment of your life. Putting Safwan Papers together does not seem like a job, it seems like an adventure. Thanks for looking out for us. We will look out for you.

Bryn, if you get time please tell Goggles, Buckethead, Dirt and Halfstein I said "hi". If they are ever on my side of town, I will be most happy to add them as part of my act until it is time to leave.

At this moment I am putting "The $4 Billet Index" together. That is why I do not have a lot of time to thank you for your creativity.

"Heads Up!"

Dynamike
Dynamike:

Thanks for the review...I certainly appreciate it and am glad you are liking the effects.

I get to see Goggles and Halfstein about once a year...I'll tell them you said hi!

Bryn

I [b]still[/b] cannot believe he performed that for James Bond!

LOL...

Bryn
Hi Bryn

I'll put this to rest. Take a real close look at the very last image I posted. If you can zoom in, you'll see how the note has been 'signed'. I've attached an image for you. I swear it's not faked in any way (I'm sure the imaging experts will confirm this).

Best

Derek
Good for you! Very well done! All the other stuff on the forum is one thing but I never tire of hearing about good experiences (for both performer and audience), keep it up!

-L
Performed seven today for the first time. I did it for my wife who knows a lot of mentalism by now but it blew her away when she opened the folded post it note and saw the writing 7 of spades. The look on her face was worth the money alone for the ebook. This is the best impromptu mentalism effect ive seen. Keep it up Bryn.

Ezzet
Hello,

I just ordered the e-book. Am I supposed to get a link to download it? I sent money via PayPal, and I don't know what to do next.

Thanks,
Ben B
Just rec'd mine!
Safwan Papers are a solid 10!
Ben,

If the payment is made from a bank account instead of a credit card it takes awhile for it to clear so you may not receive the ebook until it clears (that is up to the seller), I'm not 100% sure how bryn is doing it.

[quote]
On 2008-07-02 18:21, Ben Blau wrote:
Hello,

I just ordered the e-book. Am I supposed to get a link to download it? I sent money via PayPal, and I don't know what to do next.

Thanks,
Ben B
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2008-07-02 19:50, CAROLINI wrote:
Safwan Papers are a solid 10!
[/quote]

SOLID!
Hey all...

All eBook copies of TSP are sent out as soon as I receive the order and can get to a computer. (Even those who's payments haven't cleared yet...for some reason I trust my fellow mentalists!)

If I am at the computer I send it forthwith...If I am in the mountains training it can take a day or so, and I appreciate the patience. AOL seems to kick it back a time or two, and that seems to be what is going on with you, Ben. I send it a few times and it usually gets past AOL's filter. As those here know, I'll make sure you get a copy, even if that means sending out the printed version at no additional price. I WANT you to have this stuff!

Kinesis: No need for the 007 signature varification...when I said "I can't beleive it" it was more a term of awe than speculation....but I am glad you posted that pic! I'd love to include it in one of the intro pages for TSP2 if you don't mind....Connery is the man!

Thanks again for all of the great performance stories of this material guys...I agree wholeheartedly with Lemniscate.

You performing it and recieving the same reactions that I have is a huge compliment!

Thanks!
Bryn
Got it -- thanks!

-Ben
Bryn,

Congratulations. Brilliant thinking on "7".

GH
I just finished my first reading of The Safwan Papers yesterday and I enjoyed it very very much. The routines are very well explained and well thought out. The thinking behind them is brilliant and I learned a lot from reading this. The personal stories and background behind how some of the routines and ideas evolved were especially interesting and inspiring. These are all real workers that I can't wait to try performing. Thanks so much Bryn for sharing these ideas and routines with us, and I am really looking forward to seeing more in version 2.0!! Cheers, Vinny
Message: Posted by: Dale A. Hildebrandt (Jul 5, 2008 12:23PM)
Hello,

The Safwan Papers is an extremely well written, well thought-out, work that deals with some very pure material. My personal favorites were Seven and BOHT. I love Coin In Hand effects and BOHT is a great addition to the Coin In Hand Arsenal I have been using as of late.

I also enjoy the fact that Seven is propless and all you need for BOHT is a coin, which can be borrowed. There are so many books and ebooks on the market that overpromise and underdeliver. Bryn Reynolds does just the opposite with The Safwan Papers. It was money well spent, and worth every dime.

I give The Safwan Papers my highest recommendation.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
I have now performed Seven five times and nailed it 100 percent. The spectators really are in awe. Twice ive been told that I must have made a pact with the evil one. Seven sure is something I will use for the rest of my life.

Ezzet
And its great to see someone write with a bit of vigor, passion and depth about their own work...very good book, I bothered Bryn for a signed copy and he kindly obliged...
I have been trying to hold off on purchasing new items to save on expenses. However, there have been so many favorabe reviews and the price seemed right so I took the plunge. It is easy to see why EVERYone likes this one. The routines are strong, usable and quite doable. The boldest move is quite managable and most will already be using something like it at least somewhere in their repetoire.

Bryn has a real winner. After reading this, you will never be in a bind to do something spectatular at a moment's notice. If anyone is on the fence in getting this, jump in.

Jim
Thanks so very much for the nice comments!

I am glad that not only are the effects are being well-recieved, but I am also getting some great feedback about the writing style and anecdotes. I feel including these was relevant in order for you to see not just how, but also WHY, the effects were developed.

Thanks!
Bryn
[quote]
On 2008-07-05 18:41, jcroop wrote:
I have been trying to hold off on purchasing new items to save on expenses. However, there have been so many favorabe reviews and the price seemed right so I took the plunge. It is easy to see why EVERYone likes this one. The routines are strong, usable and quite doable. The boldest move is quite managable and most will already be using something like it at least somewhere in their repetoire.

Bryn has a real winner. After reading this, you will never be in a bind to do something spectatular at a moment's notice. If anyone is on the fence in getting this, jump in.

Jim
[/quote]

Humans are good at looking for patterns and categorizing things. I am no different, I categorize things based on several criteria. One of the categories I have for magic/mentalism books (electronic or not) is "Refined through work". Rather cryptic I guess but it merely means those books which contain routines/effects that are the result of actual performance over and over again. There are several books which fit this category but, at this particular moment, two really shine. TSP by Bryn and the Act Series by Mick Ayres. If you perform, these two sets are pure gold.

Also, just an FYI, if you find yourself performing Koran's Caps pretty often, check out Devil of a Bar and Pub. There are several effects that would seque together into a really great routine.

-Lem
I have this, and I think it is ok...there is nothing in this ebook that I would use.

There has been so much hype about this ebook that I went back and read it again...

I don't remember how much I paid for this but compare it to the value of buying a book like "Prism" and I hardly think it is worth it.

There is a lot of hype about "Seven" but I am quite happy blowing people's minds with kolossal killer! I think "seven" is a step backward! So, what else does this book leave me with? ...very little!
An effect with a himber ring that maybe clever, but hardly mind blowing! Especially, since I don't own a himber ring!

And, a routine with bottle caps that I can learn from Al Koran!

Hmmmm

My opinion: Save your money!!!

Buy Kolossal killer and learn the original method! It is worth more than any of the effects in this book! I would be willing to put that to the test!

This is MY opinion! AND, I have a right to express it! Don't bombard me with PMs about this!

I stand by my opinion! There are many more books out there that I believe are MUCH Much better value than this! I regret purchasing this ebook!

I respect the author's efforts in putting his ideas down on paper, however, I don't think they are worthy of sale. He should have waited 10 years...
I am off to buy an Annemann ebook now...

$5 too! Interesting!
[quote]
On 2008-07-08 12:42, aussiemagic wrote:
My opinion: Save your money!!!

Buy Kolossal killer and learn the original method! It is worth more than any of the effects in this book! I would be willing to put that to the test!

This is MY opinion! AND, I have a right to express it! Don't bombard me with PMs about this!

I stand by my opinion! There are many more books out there that I believe are MUCH Much better value than this! I regret purchasing this ebook![/quote]

Do people really PM you? That's... really weird. You are absolutely welcome to your opinion, I like it when people don't agree with me personally.

With that in mind, I do NOT agree with your assessment of Seven v. Kolassal Killer. KK has a HUGE impact on your pocket. I know, I carried it around for a long time. Killer Konceptions offered a refinement, making it already better than the original Killer. Paul Brook's Deuterium, in my opinion, offers the best payoff in the KK type effect albeit with a bigger pocket impact.

Seven is a different trick altogether. First, it has no impact on pocket management, that is to say that it requires NOTHING, no set-up, nothing. In the end, it is what works for you. If you already have KK set-up and are happy with it, what would really change your mind? Not even the Konceptions upgrade to Killer (you stress the "original"). I disagree with you there but just MY opinion.

Then, you compare a completely impromptu effect (Seven) with a completely NON-impromptu effect (KK, requires a great deal of prep). I don't agree with that comparison and any conclusions based on it.

Now, for me, the original killer is inferior to many of the handlings from Konceptions, which is, in my opinion, inferior to Deuterium. Now, they are both "prepared" effects and you can directly compare them. I even use the "off" idea from Killer in my handing of Deuterium.

So, there you go, you get what you can make use out of in book. You didn't like this one, and that is great. The reasons you happened to give were pretty weak in my opinion, but my opinion really doesn't matter. However, since I disagreed with specific trick recommendations, I figured I'd share mine.

I've been in the position of really being disappointed with highly touted materials too, my friend, so I know your pain. But nobody PMed me, I still think that is really... odd.

-Lem
Aussiemagic...

forget Seven for a second.

have you tried "your lucky night"??
I'm not trying to dissuade you from your opinion, even if I don't share it.
but just in the interest of getting the most from your investment... just try "your lucky night".

if you try it, I know you'll love it.
AussieMagic - I'm sorry you didn't like The Safwan Papers. I'm a working pro here in Scotland. I perform for 'real life' paying public. I use Seven and Lucky Nite a lot. These two effects alone play very strongly in my current act and are (in my opinion) worth every penny I paid for The Safwan Papers. Many of the effects can be performed impromptu. The effects in TSP are exactly suited to my style of performing and I immediately 'clicked' with Bryns thinking. Perhaps the effects in TSP aren't your style, that's a shame, they are very strong and they play very well. All your energy can go into presentation as none of the effects are technically demanding. I have to make sure my audience get value for money, they do, and I don't work cheap. That's partly thanks to Bryns material. Thanks Bryn.
In all fairness to aussiemagic he's simply stating his truth. I've a funny feeling he might know a thing or two about traditional magic. ie: once you know mag-----s ch---e, the world is completely open to you. You can come up with which lady, or in my pocket, or between the palms, or your friend might know or any other one of a names for a very standard effect. In this case Bryn has chosen 'seven' and has put into it a twist with a play on words, and good luck to him. I think it's lovely.
But of course a Harry Lorraine would not touch it. Nor would a Simon Lovell or a Michael Amarr. Let's be honest they ARE giants!
It kinda reminds me of when Keith Richards found himself jamming with Bo Didley and some of his friends. It simply couldn't work for obvious reasons. It ended with Bo Didley having words with him. If you know what the obvious reasons are then you're now smiling, but if you don't it's simply too hard to explain.
Ok, I am going to go back and have another look at Seven and Lucky Nite.

Might get out Killer Konceptions too.

Thanks
I don't think you'll regret it.
[quote]
On 2008-07-08 18:26, bobser wrote:
If you know what the obvious reasons are then you're now smiling, but if you don't it's simply too hard to explain.
[/quote]

Thank you for that...It says SO much...
(And I have also shared quite a few beers with Simon at The Jade Palace after a CEMK or FFFF convention or three...no, he certainly WOULD NOT perform SEVEN...he would do the easiest force in the world, and while piercing his tounge, would write you a check for the card in the middle of a poker deal; stealing your ring while you couldn't stop laughing!)

Aussie:
No hard feelings AT ALL! I am glad you are blowing peoples mind's with KK...I used to as well, and I certainly stepped on a few shoulders of giant's when devising SEVEN. KK is pure gold, and completely started the genre. Mine is not KK by any means...it is....different....somehow...

I (or others) certainly didn't tout TSP on the merits of just SEVEN alone; in fact, I debated even including it at all, and was going to rest the book's laurels on "Your Lucky Nite!" I am now glad I included SEVEN, as it seems to be a "sleeper" in the book, due to the feedback, but if KK is your thing please keep doing it....it is a great effect! And there is some great stuff in Konceptions, as well.

I am sorry you regret purchasing it. I am SO GLAD others here do not, and appreciate them expressing their views as well. My goal is to do SO MUCH mentalism with ALMOST NOTHING...this certainly does not fit everyone's criteria....doesn't it?...

Had this been one of my physical effect offerings I would have extended my unconditional $-back guarantee...(which to date, I am proud to say, I don't recall having to exercise!)

I appreciate hearing from those that have real-world performance stories with my effects, AS WELL as those that don't think they would dare try them.

Thanks!
Bryn
[quote]
On 2008-07-08 22:04, aussiemagic wrote:
Ok, I am going to go back and have another look at Seven and Lucky Nite.

Might get out Killer Konceptions too.

Thanks
[/quote]

Aussie, I used to perform a KK type thing with my wallet and 4 cards. I performed this effect for about 5 years. Nothing could beat it.

Now I perform 7 with a piece of paper and a pen or pencil.

I am curious as to how this could be, in your opinion of course, a step backward?

John
[quote]
On 2008-07-08 12:42, aussiemagic wrote:
I have this, and I think it is ok...there is nothing in this ebook that I would use.

[/quote]

Aussie, by taking a look at your posts in the last 30 days it looks like you are a magician and not a mentalist. I mean, you've posted in the coins, cards, tricks etc forums. I am both.

It's possible you haven't reached the mind set for the items within the safwan papers.

If you read what other MENTALISTS (performers of mind magic) have to say about these papers--in six pages of posts--you may have a greater respect for Bryn's PDF of ideas and routines.

I mean, if you are in a room filled with experienced, passionate hunters and they are all admiring and praising a particular rifle and you are perhaps not a hunter do you think any statements from you AGAINST the specific traits or against this particular rifle are valid?

Think about that.

J
C'mon John. Aussie's already said he's going back to take a look at it. You're beginning to sound like the father of the bride!!!
Lol.

While I respected aussie and his opinion, I am very happy he is going back to look at it.

John,
I happen to agree 100% with your 1:21pm post.

-Lem
[quote]
On 2008-07-09 19:03, bobser wrote:
C'mon John. Aussie's already said he's going back to take a look at it. You're beginning to sound like the father of the bride!!!
[/quote]

You mean I sound like Steve Martin? ;)

J
Maybe Spencer Tracy.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet (Who always prefers the black & white versions.)
I went back and had a look at Seven and Lucky Nite.

I like "Lucky Nite" and this is something I might try out.

As well as going over "Seven" again, I also reread "Killer Konceptions".

I make my living as a fulltime performer, and most of what I do is "magic". However, I do do quite a bit of mentalism. I'm particularly partial to doing mentalism in impromptu situations. John, I would prefer it if you don't try and make judgements about my abilities. We have disagreed before. I do not like "Mindcast" and you seem to love it. Just because I don't particularly like something I don't think that my ability should be brought into question. But, I know what you are saying in regards to "mindset". This is why I think I perform mentalism impromptu rather than when table hopping. There are fewer expectations when performing impromptu and you can do amzing things without too many props. I can be in that "mindset" when doing things impromptu.

I think Kolossal Killer is hard to beat and it only requires a one time set up. Out of Killer Konceptions, I think my favorite is the routine using Docc Hilford's routine. I often find that by close observation of the spectator they pretty much tell you what cards they are choosing. I can have a lot of fun with this and take a stab at it by telling them the card I think they chose. If I am righ it is a miracle, if I am wrong, I have KK to follow up with. I don't see the necessity of trying to force a single card. For me that takes the fun out of it. If I wanted to do it with one card, I much prefer Mr. Acre's "Scorch". I will take back what I said about "Seven" being a "step backward" because we all have our personal tastes and I respect that this routine works well for the author and many others. Personally, it is not for me though. I do love KK though and I think there is scope for a variety of different routines.

As I make my money from performing fulltime, I expect a certain standard of quality when I purchase something. In my experience so far, "Ebooks" often fail to live up to this standard. This is not always the case though, some ebooks that I have purchased have been of a very high standard. Eg. Bob Cassidy's, "Fundamentals" and "Staging it", Mark Lewis's ebook, etc
I personally think that many ebooks are overpriced. Consider the number of effects and the cost of the book "PRISM". Yet, people are selling ebooks for the same price.

This is just my opinion. No disrespect to the author. Each to his own.
Again, I totally respect your opinion, as I said I have diverged from the general opinion more than once. May I ask in what capacity you perform? strolling, stage, kids parties, etc.?

The reason I ask is that I, and remember I carried KK around with me for years, but I can't think of a situation where KK is the best effect of its class anymore. Again, just my opinion, but this might be an opportunity for growth on my part.

Feel free to PM me so we don't take this thread off course.

Thanks.
I just ordered my copy. Can't wait to get it!
Peace dude.
It's funnt I know but when I got Killosal Killer and looked at it I loved it, but then after thinking about it decide it's NOT what I do or who I am. I simply didn't want a situatuion where someone might want to touch the prop. So... I've simply never used it. Now I think I'm pretty sharp at audience control but there y'go, it's just not someting I want to do. But, I can still marvel at the thought behind it. I do hope this makes sense.
bobser
Bobser,

I get that, that is how I felt the first dozen or so times I tried KK. However, to be truthful, that is also how I felt the first few times I tried "Truly Invisible" (Knepper as well) and "Seven" (From our friend, Bryn).

In all cases, once I had made the premise of the trick fit what I wanted and decided on the exact language to use, they all impressed me more than I could have imagined. It was a reminder that I often need, that my opinions as a performer are not always indicative of what the responses of the spectators will be.

Getting back to Bry's work:
The index idea was so fun and easy, I made one up. However, and how funny is this, I have not used it yet. And I made it up when I got TSP (was that as far back as April...?).

Again, this is funny, it was a great idea and I wanted to have it in case I wanted to use it and yet, still haven't used it. These days, I don't need/use multiple outs/index systems for what I do. I actually do have plans for using it though (hold gimmicks for healed & sealed).

So that is the question I have, what our of TSP do you NOT use but still think is clever and why?

I don't know about all of you, but the last several years have really hammered home that what you don't choose to use can often be more educational that what you DO choose to use.

-Lem
It's hard sometimes NOT to want to incorporate something that you perceive to be a brilliant piece of thinking, but sometimes it takes a bit of distance time-wise from when you discover it to deciding that yes, it's brilliant but no, it just doesn't fit with what you do. But you can still get some abstract joy out of appreciating the thought and effort that went into conceiving and developing it.

To go back to an earlier point in the thread, while many ebooks are of a poor standard, so too are many books and many dvds. Some of all of those are excellent though, and while all things being equal I love books the most, I'd take a well structured and interesting ebook over a poorly thought through book anyday. If someone has some great ideas and has the time, money, knowledge and inclination to produce an ebook, but insufficient of some or all of those to put together a book, I think that's a good reason for doing an ebook. You just have to judge each offering on its individual merits.
[quote]
On 2008-07-11 11:31, Lemniscate wrote:
Bobser,

I get that, that is how I felt the first dozen or so times I tried KK. However, to be truthful, that is also how I felt the first few times I tried "Truly Invisible" (Knepper as well) and "Seven" (From our friend, Bryn).

In all cases, once I had made the premise of the trick fit what I wanted and decided on the exact language to use, they all impressed me more than I could have imagined. It was a reminder that I often need, that my opinions as a performer are not always indicative of what the responses of the spectators will be.

Getting back to Bry's work:
The index idea was so fun and easy, I made one up. However, and how funny is this, I have not used it yet. And I made it up when I got TSP (was that as far back as April...?).

So that is the question I have, what our of TSP do you NOT use but still think is clever and why?

-Lem
[/quote]

Lem:

I'll post soon on how I use my "$ INDEX." It elaborates on what you see in the photos in the book. (It will cost you exactly $8 to make up...but could repay untold fortunes!)

Thanks for all that have posted here.

Bryn
Looking forward to it, Bryn.

-Lem
Well, after several months, it seems this thread that Richard Osterlind started in the Penny forum was moved here. (after Steve Brooks himself PM'ed both of us to say it was OK there, and even designed the banner ad for me...)

...and I never got a renewal notice for my $100 / month banner ad which is also now gone...hmm

drats...oh, well...

Lem:
I was going to include the routine I use for the "INDEX" in TSP V2.0
However, I'll just PM it to you.

Bryn
Whoops...BACK! Disregard above.

I'll write up how I use the INDEX from TSP soon for those who want it.

Bryn
THE $4 INDEX that I include in TSP has received much more positive feedback than anticipated! While the "star" routines of the book such as BOHT, Your Lucky NITE, and SEVEN are those which I wanted to make sure you felt you got your money's worth out of, I am glad the "ancillary" items are going over well also.

The INDEX's construction is detailed in TSP, but I left it up to the reader to decide on what to actually index. Everyone has their own favorite multi-out type of routine, but I have had some requests as to what I load in my index, as well as more than a few emails asking what the "pink pieces of paper" are in the photos.

This is certainly nothing groundbreaking, and the methodology isn't mine (I'll give you the reference, below) but perhaps the framing and handling are, so I'll share it with you here:

The pink pieces of paper are actually eight "Pick 3" type of lottery tickets. In New York, we actually have a game that is entitled just that, and you pick three numbers, which are drawn daily, and if you pick the correct three, and in the correct order, you win, and sometimes big! Other states have a similar type of lottery game with different names.

What are the eight 3-digit numbers you have on your lottery tickets, you may ask?
Well, the eight possible three-digit outcomes of Banachek's Number reversal from PS1, of course!

It is the most natural thing in the world to keep a lottery ticket in your wallet, and the thin paper (these tickets will have to be folded into halves or thirds to fit them neatly into the INDEX pockets) folds up to almost nothing and adds no bulk at all.

This is important: In NY at least, if you tell them you want eight Pick-3 tickets, they will put all eight sets of three numbers on the same ticket. You need eight seperate tickets, with one set of three numbers each. Tell them you are getting these for different people, and that you need them on SEPERATE tickets before giving them the numbers.

The BARE BONES of my presentation is this: they are asked to form a random 3-digit number, as detailed by Banachek. Of course, you already know one of the numbers, and can begin your revelation BEFORE even introducing your wallet!

One of the end numbers is attempted to be divined, and regardless of your success, through what is tought in PS1, you already know the 3-digit number. I usually just act as if I'm perplexed about something, say "No, this COULDN"T be..." just barely audible, and take out the correct ticket from the index and place it face down.

I finish with the revelation, and take my due accolades. The mystery of the piece of paper on the table still hangs in the air, though.

I let them turn it over.
Impossible.

As you know, from the design of the INDEX, you may show the rest of the wallet empty and devoid of any other tickets.

REMEMBER: check your tickets the next day....you may actually be a winner! Buy some more of my stuff if you are!

Hope some of you can use this!

Thanks,
Bryn
Wow I like that routine. that's a great ending to banachecks routine
I've finally had some time to go through Safwan Papers and I have to say that this is everything it's cracked up to be. I was particularly interested in ******String because I own the prop (which has been sitting in a drawer forever, though no more), but I very much like BOHT and Bottle Cap Koran as well. The $4 Index is brilliant, though I haven't had a chance to make one up yet. All of the effects here are very usable, very good. Excellent work, Bryn!
[quote]
On 2008-07-29 20:11, BlakeAdams wrote:
Wow I like that routine. [/quote]

Thanks, Blake!

Bedford: I am glad you like the effects....thanks! I am hoping to have some more work on this that was submitted to me available to post soon....

Bryn
Mike Sturgeon ("TURK" here on the Café) has submitted some nice ideas regarding the lottery ticket-theme that I posted above for use with the "$4-INDEX." He has, thankfully, allowed me to share them with you here.
Thanks, Mike!

Bryn,

Your idea of using the NY Lottery tickets got me thinking about an alternative for those of us wh don't have reasonable opportunity to acquire those lottery ticket.

Being involved in youth baseball, at most tournaments there always seems to be a "50-50" drawing going on. If you go to one of those tournaments, you can obtain a plethora of discarded "losing" tickets.

Using eight of those discarded tickets, hand-write your three digit numbers one each on the back of each of the tickets and place one ticket in each index location. It might even be better to transpose two of the numbers and then visibly cross out the "mistake" and then write the final choice adjacent to the "crossed-out" number.

As a bonus, first show the 6-8 digit number on the front side of the ticket (obviously not the spectator's three digit number) and then slowly turn over the ticket to show the hand written "final" number along with the "crossed-out" number.

Alternatively, but definitely NOT impromptu, just go buy a roll of the 50-50 tickets. (They come on a roll with each serial numbered ticket being a duplicate pair of tickets.)

For pre-show preparation, tear off eight of the duplicate seqentially numbered tickets and separate them into two duplicate sets. Then separate one set of the eight numbered tickets and place each one in a separate pocket of the $4 INDEX index.

At the time of your performance, give the duplicate set of the eight tickets to a person to separate, mix up and then give you one back one of those eight tickets. (Free choice, of course) Produce the duplicate of the chosen ticket from the appropriate index location.

(I'm not as wild with this alternative performance because I believe that the pre-printed duplicate dumbers might subliminally suggest eight duplicate numbers placed in eight separate locations upon you body.)

P.S. You know, regarding the 1st idea (of handwriting the number on the back of the ticket (and/or crossing it out and writing a 2nd number on it), perhaps a person can utilize the 6-8 pre-printed numbers and point out how many of the spectator's three numbers might have been present in the 6-8 digit number. And then, when the spectator doesn't "buy this", then, slowly turn the ticket over to show the actual prediction. Perhaps you can state that you just found the ticket on the ground, etc., etc., etc. and then, during the performance, you first "discover" the actual three digit number on the back. I dunno,...just thinking out loud.
As a budding professional mentalist, with a firm 38 year back ground in magic 20 of which I spent performing either part or full time professionally, I can honestly say that The Safwan Papers is a valuable look at the genre. More important than the effects, which are all strong and practical, is Bryn’s approach and psychology. While most of us seem to seek the latest and greatest, Bryn has concentrated on an organic approach to presenting mentalism. This is really material, which for the most part, you can do impromptu or with minimal set up, as long as you have something to write with and either you or your audience hasn’t lost the ability to speak or hear.

The stand out effect to me was Bottle Cap Koran. I learned this principle from a fellow named John Treys before he died and never knew that this was Al Korans, although now it doesn’t surprise me. The reason this effect stands out for me is that I immediately decided to revert this effect back to cups or bowls, a one dollar bill and use the prediction finish with the serial number of the bill. Although for impromptu carry purposes, Bryn’s version is much more practical but best of all it’s a principle you can use.

Seven is a great treatment of the Kolossal Killer theme and doesn’t require any special gimmicks or wallets, although I have just thought of a way to use a Himber style wallet to eliminate some of the work and or make this work with multiple outcomes for strolling gigs. Not to mention reading it had me come up with a B’wave redux. In fact I just thought of how to apply some of this thinking to an ESP symbol version. Your Luck Night is the cleverest Bank Night Routine to date and is simple yet diabolical in construction and I will use it as well for specific performances. Heck there isn’t a piece of work in this book that isn’t practical, usable and valuable.

One of the things Bryn has done for me with this is the greatest thing any book or writer can do, it is to make you think about what you can come up with if you just allow yourself to think, imagine and play with concepts.
Carlo:

Thanks for not only the nice comments, but for taking the time to make them so detailed....I apprecaite it, and I am glad you like The Safwan Papers!

Bryn
I'm not sure what I can say here that hasn't been said already.

"The Safwan Papers" is a true gem, and is easily my best purchase of the year. Seriously, you could make a reputation for yourself just by performing the effects in this manuscript alone.

Standouts for me are Your Lucky Nite, ******string and Seven, with my personal favorite being Seven. I have been obsessing over the idea of a "thought of card" routine ala Kolossal Killer that only uses one card, and now Bryn finally offers a solution that makes sense to me.

Aside from the effects, Bryn tells some great stories that make The Safwan Papers a very engaging read throughout (I especially like the story surrounding BOHT). So, even if you don't find anything you will use in here, you will at least have a great time reading it. But, the truth is, you will find at least one thing that fits your style in here, because this book really is jam packed with great ideas that you will be excited to use. If any of the effects in here sound like they might be up your alley, you will not be disappointed!

Again, really great job on this one Bryn, I know that I as well as many others are already anxiously awaiting your next release. Now get back to work!
[quote]
On 2008-09-02 15:01, mugician51 wrote:

"The Safwan Papers" is a true gem, and is easily my best purchase of the year. Seriously, you could make a reputation for yourself just by performing the effects in this manuscript alone.

WOW!...thanks much for the great comments!

I certainly appreciate you, and everyone else that has done so, taking the time to write your review of TSP.

Bryn
Almost all of the material in TSF can be done with one hand.

;-)

Thanks Bryn.

DT3
I really liked it, and enjoyed reading about you in it.

I enjoyed the story about BOHT, but the method is too big for me, apart from that (Y).
Thank you for the kind words!

Bryn

Ok, freebie time. The response to this book has been great, and in no doubt in part to the Café.

The first person to PM me that [b]has[/b] my book TSP (will make no sense otherwise) and wants this will get a $4 value! [b]Who hoo![/b] LOL! I have an extra "$4 [b]index[/b]" (the actual one I used for the photos in the book), and I'd love to pass it on to someone that can use it.

The next [b]two[/b] Café members that PM me the answer to this will get a free copy of the eBook emailed to them:

The famous mentalist who's real last name was Squires died on this particular date.....

Thanks for playing...

Bryn

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 9:51am
------------------------------
Freebies all given out...thanks!

Bryn
Bryn, I was hoping the Freebie is that Machine Gun in your avatar.....oh well

anyway, I wish the "Seven" could be apply in to my Indonesian Language, but I sadly says, it can not, since the word "off ah" and "off of" does not have any Dual meaning in my language

since this 2008 is almost over, overall, TSP is one of my best buy of the Year...

Mesmer - Uncle Sam may get mad at me if I gave that one away!

Thanks for your comments on TSP!..Just try SEVEN without the linguistic touch...it will still work due to the other principles involved.

Bryn
Let me first say I really enjoy Bryn’s writing style. He connects with the reader and does a great job explaining his work. While I was reading “Seven”, it felt like I was on a mission. Bryn takes you step by step covering all aspects of this piece. One of the most thorough explanations for an effect I have read.

Also his concept of the imaginary deck sequence opened a door for me, very good thinking. “Seven” takes some work but goes over well. I’ll continue using it.

“Your Lucky Nite” is another nice effect. It’s similar to one of Cassidy’s bank nights. I was going to try this out last week but did not. I’m reworking the presentation I want to use. I’m actually going to combine it with Cassidy’s. Now please understand “Your Luck Nite “is fine as is and no changes are needed, just my personal preference and performing style.

The $4 index is something else I like a lot, so simple and logical. I plan on using this for a long time. I’ve wanted an index for a while but never decided on one. This suits me just fine, thanks Bryn.

BOHT is an interesting effect. I love methods like this (they come from performing). Some are bolder than others but this one is not hard at all. I also loved the story behind this creation. Bryn could write a book… and should!

The other two effects Bottle Cap Koran and Himberstring are just not the kind of effects I do. However, they are well-explained methods and presentations and offer food for thought. In fact Bottle Cap Koran is a lesson in itself. Any beginning mentalist should read this effect.

I like TSP and look forward to reading more of Bryn’s work. He comes off as a really good person and I like his way of thinking.

--Lostpoet--
I received my copy of TSP just a few days ago. I ordered it about six weeks earlier, Bryn having to resend it as the original didn't manage to make it through the letterbox here in the U.K.
My reasons for ordering were I liked the sound of four of the routines written, I've used Osterlind's variation of Bank Nite with the lottery ticket ending as an opener and it's always gone over well. Bryn's variation is very well thought out and has a few more layers to it than a standard Bank Nite effect. It's been well thought out and has a great element of drama to it.
'Seven' I like. No need to write what the effect is as I'm posting on the 7th page of this thread! The elimination of cards is similar to what Wayne Dobson uses in his Invisible Deck routine, seemingly very fair and logical for the spec. I'm not the most magically well read person so I don't know how many effects are out there which necessitate a deck to be in n** d*** o**** for the result. The only other I've seen is on the Carl Cloutier 'Bill in Kiwi' DVD, where this is used for a different type of effect with a different end result. Bryn's therefore in good company with how he thinks his effects through.
Bottle Cap Koran - not tried it, going to read it through a few times more and then practice, practice practice to give it justice.
BOHT - Nicely explained 'Which Hand?' effect. In depth discussion on the psychology behind it.

Bryn's done a good job with this, a really good job. What I liked is that fact that Bryn's thought through and reworked effects and managed to write it all in a clear, concise manner.

I was a little nervous when my copy didn't arrive after a few weeks. Bryn reassured me by letting me know exactly when he'd resend to me. So all in all a very worthwhile buy backed up by good customer service. Recommended.

Mark
A lovely book! I just wish I'd ordered the hard copy now!
Thank you very much for the great comments/reviews, guys!

I certainly appreciate it.

Bryn
Its a very good book . Just as well though, anyone feel brave enough to give a bad review.
It's already happened -- but you have to go through seven pages of positive reviews to find it.

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 10:42, mormonyoyoman wrote:
It's already happened -- but you have to go through seven pages of positive reviews to find it.

*jeep!
--Grandpa
[/quote]
Almost spit out my coffee!
Thanks for that, Chet!

Bryn

Posted: Nov 1, 2008 8:52pm
-----------------------------
I am humbled, again.

Jheff has seen fit to feature me and some of my effects his most recent issue of "Journal of the Mind." This is a subscription-based newsletter in which some creators highlight some current and upcoming items, and also tip some effects. Jheff's writing are worth the price of admission by themselves, but usualy a few effects from recently released tomes are tipped as well. I put my [b]Double-Down[/b] effect, from Richard Osterlind's [b]No Camera Tricks[/b] DVDs, as well as the full script and routine for BOHT, from The Safwan Papers, in this issue. There are some other ramblings and effects from me as well.

The "blurb:"
"The new issue of Jheff's Journal of the Mind spotlights
BRYN REYNOLDS, a highly regarded part-time pro who's
produced some very fine material."

The link to subscribe:
http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com:80/jmmc.html

Jheff has kindly given me the copyright to this particular issue. Any orders for my effect that I receive from the Café will get a free copy. This is a great way to get a taste of the nice product he is putting out. It is [b]well worth[/b] it!

Thanks, Jheff!
Bryn
So ironic! I dove back into this today with three coca-cola bottle caps.

I can say from a recent re-read...just great. Very great.

D
Spooky, Don...and so close to Halloween.....
(Hears the Twilight ZOne theme in the background.)

Thanks!
Bryn
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 06:13, mindhunter wrote:

Almost spit out my coffee![/quote]

Don't blame you. The stuff tastes like burnt water.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
VERY burnt, stale, water, actually...

I am glad some here have lebeled TSP as being fresh...

Thanks!
Bryn
I wanted to publicly thank Bryn, not only for his noteworthy mentalism products, but also for his outstanding customer service. Byrn was very kind and responsive when I told him I lost his manuscript to an unfortunate computer crash. Within a few hours of sending my email, I was amazed to find that Bryn had already sent me another with warm regards. Bryn, you seem like a heck of a guy to me, and your sincerity really shows through your work. I look forward to the future contributions you will give to mentalism and speak for the masses when I say, "Keep up the good Work!"
best regards
Thanks, and sorry to hear about your computer troubles!

Bryn
Bryn when is tsp 2 planned loved the first one eager for 2nds
cheers brehan
Brehan:

I will be releasing a trio of mentalism effects utilizing currency hopefully within a month or two.

"TSP 2.0" (or whatever I call it) will follow hopefully shortly thereafter. The effects are pretty much written up, but will require a few more eyes to proofread, and then the publishing, etc.

Thanks for the interest!

Bryn
I look forward to TSP2 (or whatever). I simply love your material and methods. This so fits my style. The first time I performed both 'Your Lucky Night' and 'Seven' I felt instantly comfortable with them, they were very 'me'. Can't wait.

Derek
That is a great feeling to hear that, Derek.

Bryn
Bryn, I really want to thank you for publishing TSP. I love ALL the effects in this great ebook. Especially with seven and Lucky Night I have got some very nice reactions so far.

I also love the thinking behind BOHT. I'm currently trying to construct a full routine around this basic principle and some of my own ideas.

I'll post a more in depth review after I have experimented more with all the effects.

-Aleksi Hietanen
I appreciate the comments, Aleksi!

Bryn
I like "Or Whatever" as a title. If it's even half as good as TSP I'll be ordering it.

imagine":
"How do I find a review of Bryn's new book?
"Go to the Magic Café search box and type in WHATEVER".
Whatever ...
I can only humbley echo all the positive comments about TSP. Top notch thinking and a refreshing witing style - packaged and put together by a real top-notch bloke.

Bryn - thanks again for all your help!
Bryn, like Withnail, I don't think there's much I could add to the torrent of praise you have already received, except to say that you deserve it, and that I loved TSP - Seven especially, appealing to my card magician roots.

Cheers
"Whatever"...lol

Has a ring to it! Thanks for the comments on The Safwan Papers, but I'm hopefully going to get to finish the "other one" sometime, and will keep in the "tradition" of naming it where it was refined.

I've been called away quite a bit regarding the training for this upcoming deployment, still working at the Sheriff's Office, and trying to get things buttoned up here at home for Deb for this winter and the next. I appreciate the eBook orders, and the offers of support. I wish I could get on here more often to say that...

I'm so glad some are still finding some value in TSP!

Thanks!
Bryn
All ordered print-version books will be in and shipped on Saturday.

After that, due to a military deployment, only the eBook version will be available. (Also, no other physical products will be available for some time.)

For the nest week, I'll be home and can email eBooks "on time." After that, it is hit-or-miss, with a couple weeks delay, perhaps. I am looking for a solution, or maybe the 2-week delay is the right answer...

Please checkout the link from Outlaw Effects if interested:
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/e-books/safwan.html

I'll email all orders as soon as I possibly can! If you get a PDF file from some pirate satellite email hookup, it is me!

Also, please keep in touch, through here, email, ( diveteam@adelphia.net or cavscout19@hotmail.com ) or messages in a bottle!

Thanks, gentlemen!

Bryn
What can I say that not has been said before? I was the lucky one receiving the last printed edition. It is a fantastic book, no doubt one of the best I've ever read about mentalism. Alone "Seven" is worth far more than the price for Bryn's entire work. Simply a must read. Jan
I wanted to chime in here. I have said in previous posts how much I enjoyed The Safwan Papers, but I have found that it goes beyond that. I originally purchased in 2008 primarily for Seven. I have used Seven often since. But, I keep going back to The Safwan Papers and finding new and exciting ideas in its pages. BOHT and Lucky Nite are brilliant. One of the great values of the book are Bryn's insights to the art. I love reading the stories he tells on how and why these effects came to be.

I just made up the $4 billet index. I don't know why it took almost two years for me to do this. I guess I didn't have $4.00, but that's a different story. Anyway, I am already thinking of multiple routines that I do that this will be useful for.

In short, The Safwan Papers is one of the best investments I have ever made in our art. It ranks up there with my favorite five or so ebooks of all time. I know a lot of people have purchased this, but if you are not one of them do yourself a favor and get one quick.

Paul
Bryn - you are my hero!

Check your e-mail. I'll have a few gifts for you...
I agree. Stunning material.

Benny
Paul & Ben, thanks for the nice words....it means a lot!

David: Thanks - I look forward to them. Being in Afghanistan now, I certainly appreciate "care packages!!"

Thanks!
Bryn
Here is my review:

Pdf file, 56 page e-book.

My favorites are BOHT ,Seven and Bank Nite. Ingeniuous ideas and bold and simple methods.
Bottle Cap Koran is a nice idea , but not for me really (when I read the title I think that it was a Gold Medallion kind - effect)
Himberstring is a nice "Bank Night" kind effect, but I don't have the necesary stuff to perform the effect.
And lastly the 4$ index is also very interesting, but I don't use index in my wallet ( I have already one in my SAW)

Rate : 8/10

Maybe a little more work in bookmarks and index in the ebook can be good , but the effects are great and also the ideas and subtleties.

Recommended.
[quote]
On 2010-07-16 09:06, Amirá wrote:
Here is my review:

Pdf file, 56 page e-book.

My favorites are BOHT ,Seven and Bank Nite. Ingeniuous ideas and bold and simple methods.
Bottle Cap Koran is a nice idea , but not for me really (when I read the title I think that it was a Gold Medallion kind - effect)
Himberstring is a nice "Bank Night" kind effect, but I don't have the necesary stuff to perform the effect.
And lastly the 4$ index is also very interesting, but I don't use index in my wallet ( I have already one in my SAW)

Rate : 8/10

Maybe a little more work in bookmarks and index in the ebook can be good , but the effects are great and also the ideas and subtleties.

Recommended.
[/quote]

If you like the idea of H*****string, but want a no gimmick approach, check out Colour-Ring: http://www.thaumaturgy.co.uk/shop/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=7

Bryn's Bank Night effect is the bees knees, the cats pajamas, the eels ankles if you will! I use it very often and always carry a few coin envelopes in my wallet. When in a group, it works brilliantly with a very loud paper shredder. Good fun!
I can't sing the praises of this book enough. I bought it ages ago and couldn't find the time to read it. Recently went away for work and took the book with me on my ereader and couldn't put it down. I devoured the text two or three times in the week and just loved every page.

The writing style is perfect and the small insights into life on the front lines really helped me in imagining the situations these routines were created under. The backstory to BOHT had me grinning from ear to ear.

Congratualtions Bryn on the success your having with this book and may it continue long after the second installment is released. You deserve it.

Stay safe

Dan
Dan,
Hope you don't mind me asking:

Since you mentioned an e reader.....what e reader do you own/use?

I've been considering purchasing an ereader for exactly the same reason; I would love to load and carry all my PDF's in a Nook or Kindle.

Mind sharing your thoughts and/or opinions?

It would be much appreciated!

Respectfully,
rochaz
I have been negligent by failing to publicly give Bryn's "Safwan Papers" the praise it deserves. Bryn's approach to mentalism is thoroughly modern and innovative. His material is practical and well presented.It is creators like he who will define the future of our art.

But before you do that, Bryn, you need to stay safe. Thank you for your service!

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
(CT2, USN 1968-1972)
I know I will be echoing what has been said many times, but so be it!

I had a chance to read this Ebook recently, and was very impressed!

Bryn's thinking is fantastic!

My favorite item has to be "Your Lucky Night", a devious approach to Bank Night, which makes it completely hands off. As I read the effect, I asked myself "HOW", and he only tips the 'real work' mid-way through the explanation...so I continued to ask "HOW?"...great thinking!

His $4 Billet Index is perfect to carry in your wallet (really perfect), and easy to make up...it may even increase in value someday (hopefully!).

Reading through his ideas, you can't help but ask yourself "how could no one have thought of that already?!"

What else can I say?! The entire collection is fantastic!

Nice work Bryn,

And as Bob said, be safe and thanks for your service!

(and thank you, Bob!)
Hey rochaz,

The ereader I use is the Sony PRS-300 and I love it. Best thing I got last christmas. It can hold up to 350 ebooks (or so the ad says) and doesn't have a backlight so your eyes don't get tired.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-300

Hope that helps

Dan
Bob,Dan,PMC,Rochaz, Dan, Christo, and Pablo:

Thanks so much for your kind words! Being in Afghanistan right now, I don't get as much internet time as I'd like to be able to participate here more, but is very nice to see that some are getting good use out of the material.

Thanks!
Bryn
Take care Bryn, we are a lot waiting for further issues of your work. After "The Safwan Papers", maybe "The Jalalabad Papers" ;)
Wish the best for you.
Thanks, cryder. I already have a couple of names in mind (J-Bad is one of the places I HAVEN'T hit yet!)

Work on the "sequel" to The Safwan Papers is progressing, but much in the same fashion I detailed in the intro to Safwan, the final product will have to wait until I can put some finish time into it this winter.

Thanks much!
Bryn
That's realy good news I loved safwan cant wait till winter
Hang in there bryn
Cheers brehan
Bryn,

Let me know if I may be of any assistance.
Your work in mentalism and the Safwan Papers is only surpassed by your sacrifices for this great country and for our freedom .. thanks for both and stay safe
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 08:42, tonyf wrote:
Your work in mentalism and the Safwan Papers is only surpassed by your sacrifices for this great country and for our freedom .. thanks for both and stay safe
[/quote]

Thank so much, Tony. That means a lot.

FYI, our replacement Cav Squadron will be here soon, and we can start training them up to take over our mission. Hopefully we will be home for Christmas.

I've been working on a few new items, and like my last deployment, I think I got a new book out of it. I'll spend some free time this winter playing catch-up on here and organizing my "notes" for the book into something coherent.

Thanks,
Bryn
I think we all are fans of mentalism that is impromptu and powerful. Effects that can be performed with essentially borrowed materials (or no props at all) are especially important.

Effects that don't require you to have "your stuff" are priceless, and "The Safwan Papers" is full of 'em.

With the exception of one or two effects, these can all be performed spur of the moment with minimal prep.

Some thoughts:

"Seven" is a great approach to a Kollosal Killer type routine. This has been a goto effect for me for a long time. Although I must admit am currently using a combination of Seven and KK (four cards, instead of the one), the wording for the equivoque has been priceless.

"Bottle cap Koran" Is a sweet little piece using nothing besides a coin and some bottle caps, great for when having a few beers with the fellas...

"Your lucky nite" is an excellent take on the bank night premise. It is a cool methodology that can be adapted to other plots as well.

"Boht" is a great technique to have in your arsenal for "which hand" routines.

"Himberstring" I haven't tried, but it's a cool idea.

"The 4 dollar billet index" is simple but ingenious. Totally utilitarian and adaptable. Turn any wallet into an index.

Highly recommended.

I look forward to the next one!

Matt
Matt:

Thanks so much for the purchase and review of "The Safwan Papers." I am both supprised and delighted, obviously, in the "legs" this book has had, and in the great words it has recieved touting the items as "workers."

I am back from Afghanistan now, so just a LITTLE more access to the internet than I had at 12K feet...lol... so hopefully I can send any future orders without much of a delay.

Regarding the "next one...." yea, soon....

Thanks,Bryn
Just read through it and have to agree that´s brilliant thinking. YOUR LUCKY NITE alone is the price of the ebook worth. This effect is so great, and absolutely hands off! :applause:
BOHT is a great approach to " coin in hand".
Highly recommended!
Kiki
THank you much, Kiki...

Bryn
Just took the plunge Bryn. Watching my inbox with anticipation like a hawk for delivery...

Merlin
I have read through this brilliant eBook once and I must say I'm very impressed. Its is just the sort of thing I like to perform, as like Bryn, my main performance arena is impromptu or close-up or both. These effects fit my bill well.
The simplicity of thinking, coupled with the basic or borrowed apparatus and clever psychology, make these effects read very well. I am looking forward to road testing them.
The Lucky Nite is similar in method to another bank night variation I have recently see but has one touch which makes look even more fun.
BOHT is definitely one I'll be using too, especially when combined with principles from Prevaricator by Patrick Redford.
All in all, Bryn, I think you've done a great job of this. I am a very satisfied customer, even if 3 years later than some of the others on here...

Merlin
Merlin:

Ahhh...don't worry about the "3 years later" thing....I LIKE to think SAFWAN is timeless....lol

Regarding what you wrote, please DO check out Redford's works on the theme and I am glad he, and Finley, have both asked to menions variations of BOHT in their great works. Regarding "Your Lucky NITE," I have had no greater compliment than Richard Osterlind seeing fit to write up his own version of it in his book Mystique...great stuff truly.

Thanks for the comments!
Bryn
Safwan Papers is absolutely brilliant - I do "Seven" almost every day. I hear there may be a sequel in the offing...tell us more Bryn!
[quote]
On 2011-06-25 08:31, ~Cicero wrote:
Safwan Papers is absolutely brilliant - I do "Seven" almost every day. I hear there may be a sequel in the offing...tell us more Bryn!
[/quote]

SEVEN: Thank you, very much....me too... (why wouldn't you?...lol)

SEQUEL: Yes, yes, there is. It will require a seperate post, though. I'm hoping after Ghazni comes out it will spurn some more interest in Safwan, so I am leaving this just for comments on Safwan effects....

Thank you,
Bryn
Have just come across this fantastic ebook again after having not looked at it for a year!
Such strong, strong material!
Highlight for me is Lucky Nite - did not see the method coming at all!
Great stuff Bryn and can't wait for the sequel.....!!
Chris
The legs that this thread has speaks for itself regarding the quality of this ebook
Over 3 1/2 Years! I know I'm amazed, and of course very thankful.

Hopefully my next eBook has even 1/10th the legs!

Thanks,
Bryn
Looking forward to hearing more about your next project Bryn. I LOVE Safwan.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 23:11, mindhunter wrote:
I am back from Afghanistan now
[/quote]
Hi Bryn. I am glad you are back. I hope you enjoyed your adventure. I am still using using your effects. BTW, how is your adopted dog doing?
[quote]
On 2011-11-15 16:05, minty wrote:
Looking forward to hearing more about your next project Bryn. I LOVE Safwan.
[/quote]

Thanks, Minty. Apprecite the kind words, and hopefully I'll have it finished around the holidays (I have a supprise or two I'm working on for it.)

DYNOOOOO-Mike! Great to hear from you, and good to BE back. Last year in Afghanistan was certainly as you described it. I raised the pups in Iraq in '05 from day one to about 10 weeks old. It was two other soldiers that adopted them and brought them to the USA, but Buckethead, Goggles, and HalfStein are still doing just fine.

Thanks much.
Bryn
Hi everyone

I have been lucky enough to have been working my way through Bryn's 'The Safwan Papers' recently. I am quite new to the art, so Bryn's work was previously unknown to me so I didn't quite know what to expect.

Bryn recommended his effect 'Seven' to me as it matched something that I was after. I was dubious when I started reading the effect, due to the fact that the only prop is an invisible deck of cards.............I mean a completely invisible deck, as in non-existent. I read through many times, got my wording down and thought I would try it out. It wasn't until I actually performed it last night that I realised what a powerful effect it is. I WOWed myself and the spectators with it. It was spectacular!! Such a simple concept, but with brilliant results.

Bryn explains things in a simple, but direct manner which made it very easy to follow. I have only performed this effect so far as I've only had the ebook for a very short time, but I've read through the other effects and can see fantastic potential in them. I am auditioning for a magic club in my area in 3 months and have already decided to use 'Seven'. I will being trying out a couple of the other effects very soon and am really excited about it. I shall let you all know how I get on.

Thanks very much for this beautiful effect Bryn and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Regards.

Tim
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Apr 23, 2012 01:17PM)
[quote]
On 2012-04-23 14:13, thelearner wrote:
Hi everyone

I have been lucky enough to have been working my way through Bryn's 'The Safwan Papers' recently. I am quite new to the art, so Bryn's work was previously unknown to me so I didn't quite know what to expect.

Bryn recommended his effect 'Seven' to me as it matched something that I was after. I was dubious when I started reading the effect, due to the fact that the only prop is an invisible deck of cards.............I mean a completely invisible deck, as in non-existent. I read through many times, got my wording down and thought I would try it out. It wasn't until I actually performed it last night that I realised what a powerful effect it is. I WOWed myself and the spectators with it. It was spectacular!! Such a simple concept, but with brilliant results.

Bryn explains things in a simple, but direct manner which made it very easy to follow. I have only performed this effect so far as I've only had the ebook for a very short time, but I've read through the other effects and can see fantastic potential in them. I am auditioning for a magic club in my area in 3 months and have already decided to use 'Seven'. I will being trying out a couple of the other effects very soon and am really excited about it. I shall let you all know how I get on.

Thanks very much for this beautiful effect Bryn and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Regards.

Tim
[/quote]

Bryn has a new book out soon. I'm sure it will be also well worth buying!
[quote]
On 2012-04-23 14:13, thelearner wrote:
Hi everyone

Regards.

Tim
[/quote]

Good man Tim. One of the smartest things a mentalist can do is have 7 at their disposal. Just you and them ... and words. Not very many either.

You can get to 7 in less than a minute if you wanted to. But why. Have fun, involve 4 or 5 spectators.

Fantastic.

J
I got this the other day, and I can honestly say, "Wow!" This is a wonderful e-book of great and (more importantly) useable material. "7" is a great version of Kenton Knepper's Kollosal Killer, only instead of an i****, only a single card is used. No outs, no switches, just a great effect. "Your Lucky Night" is going straight into my show. I have been looking for this exact routine for a very long time. I only wish that I had thought of it. "Bottle Cap Koran" is a wonderful impromptu effect. "BOHT" is an extremely clever way of dealing with a 50/50 proposition and I will be using it alot! "Himberstring" is one of the best effects in the book. It is really a "thinking-outside-of-the-box" effect using a gimmick that you might already have. At the moment, I do not own one of those gimmicks, but I may have to buy one for no other reason than to perform this effect.

All in all this e-book is worth much more than the price. Go and buy this today! You won't be sorry! :devilish:
For 7 a card isn't even neccessary. You can write it on a beer coaster and let them put their beer on it. HA HA!!!

John
Safwan Papers was the very first mentalism that I ever bought.

It's got a lot to answer for :)

Steve
Several years have passed since I bought Sawfwan Papers (over two babies ago!) and I still perform effects from it.

d
[quote]
Bryn has a new book out soon. I'm sure it will be also well worth buying!
[/quote]

Thanks for the great comments on Safwan and the interest in LOGAR.

THE LOGAR SCROLLS eBook is now available. Ordering info is in my signature line.

Hopefully it will have it's own thread soon with more information on the book.

Bryn
I agree with the others about "7". I perform that one a lot and it never fails!

-Max
Pretty sure this is my first post in the Café.

Anyway, after combing far and wide for mentalism resources that meet the conditions Bryn talks about in SAFWAN (little or no prep, repeatable, impromptu, organic, etc.) I put an order in.

I'll write more later, but 'Seven' is everything the preceding reviewers have said it is. The fairness of the last phase is awesome.

I have 'Hedonists Make Up All the Rules' from Paul Harris's AofA, and loved this theme, but didn't care for the idea of acting impatient, nor repeated ambiguity along the same lines.

Also enjoyed the historical background which gives the book context and a heart.

More later after repeated performances.
Thanks, Jeff. Welcome.

I'm so very lucky that THE SAFWAN PAERS has seem to stand the test of time in that I think your future performance comments will be bolstered after repeated performances....

I appreciate the comments, and look forward to future discussions!

Bryn
I've had Safwan a couple years now. Most excellent. 7 is unbeatable!!
[quote]
On 2012-07-02 22:28, afinemesh wrote:
I've had Safwan a couple years now. Most excellent. 7 is unbeatable!!
[/quote]

Awesome. I'm glad you enjoy, and thanks for your comment on SEVEN.

Bryn
Thank YOU, Bryn!
This ebook is certainly great...not sure why I waited so long to grab it since I have had Double Down for a couple years and love that. The Logar Scrolls, I have found to be equally as fantastic...Thanks to Bryn for his great customer service and his releases to the masses over the years.

Alton
And a very big thanks to Bryn for his military service keeping us all safe! that's the biggest contribution anyone can make to us all! Thank You!
[quote]
On 2012-07-24 11:16, AltonThrash wrote:
And a very big thanks to Bryn for his military service keeping us all safe! that's the biggest contribution anyone can make to us all! Thank You!
[/quote]

Humbled regarding that topic. Thank you Alton.

Bryn
[quote]
On 2012-07-24 11:01, AltonThrash wrote:
This ebook is certainly great...not sure why I waited so long to grab it since I have had Double Down for a couple years and love that. The Logar Scrolls, I have found to be equally as fantastic...Thanks to Bryn for his great customer service and his releases to the masses over the years.

Alton
[/quote]

Thanks for the nice words on "The Logar Scrols."

The topic Richard started here in Penny about LOGAR was moved to "Mentally Speaking," but I'd certainly enjoy the thoughts on any of the the effects to be discussed here, in PM or email. I LOVE those effects!

Bryn
Ummmm....any word on these people?:
http://www.madaboutmagic.com

They are selling my eBook "The Safwan Papers" (I have no arrangement with them) AND they are charging more than my $30 retail price:
http://www.madaboutmagic.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=safwan+papers&osCsid=9a8afq8rfegc2ck2j66bhsp7d2&x=0&y=0

I am glad, though, that they offer a "FILE SHARING TRACKING/PROTECTION: Embedded Customer ID Number." for your protection, of course!

hmmmm.....

Bryn
Drop dominic a line from magicshop.co.uk, cos when you view the source code of that mad about site, it lists sales@magicshop.co.uk as its contact email - whereas magicshop.co.uk's site lists support@magicshop.co.uk as their contact email...
Ripping off the guy with a military and law enforcement background definitely puts the 'mad' in madaboutmagic.

Hope this gets resolved ASAP Bryn.
"Madaboutmagic.com is the US branch of The Merchant of Magic, one of the worlds largest and most respected magic shops! "
What might have happened is that converting from uk money to dollars will do funny things...

bob cassidy's new book is around £44.99 in some shops, which works out at just under $75 at the moment...
Looks like they have most of Dr. Bill Cushman's material too. And a few by other Café denizens like J. Prager and Don Theo.
Thanks, Blackwood. They have half of my ebooks. At one point, MagicShopUK had my permission but I know nothing of this site nor have I ever seen a commision. Interestingly, it gives an address in Miami, not too far from where I live. What's next, storming the gates?
I believe Dominic Reyes is the owner and is a very reputable dealer. I am sure he will put this right as soon as he is made aware of the issue. He has staff that sometimes makes mistakes so let's see.
I just dug up my original contract with MagicshipUK and it states:

"The Author grants Merchant of Magic Ltd the right to place said Work in any bookstores, both offline and on, that Merchant of Magic Ltd owns with the express purpose to sell said Work to the public."

So, in all fairness, this seems legit. I've always had good dealings with Dominic, just surprised I wasn't informed and that I haven't seen a commision from any sale with MoM since April of 2013. Also, only 4 of my ebooks are available at MoM, lol.
I didn't mean to post that, as I thought deleting it would suffice.

I did as well, Bill..... They are affiliated with Dominic, who has always been great to deal with. My bad for jumping the gun;it is just I had never heard of them.

Bryn
[quote]
On 2014-01-24 16:05, Jeff Wassom wrote:
Ripping off the guy with a military and law enforcement background definitely puts the 'mad' in madaboutmagic.

Hope this gets resolved ASAP Bryn.

[/quote]

Jeff: HaHa...but it did, thanks! I was in the same situation as Dr. Bill, upon further review. Dom emailed me right back, and he has always been great to work with.

ANYWAY...I'm glad to make this announcement regarding The Safwan Papers: Richard Osterlind included his version of my routine "Your Lucky NITE!" from Safwan in his great new DVDs "The Sapphire Collection." This is SUCH a huge honor and thrill for me!!!!

Bryn
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Jan 27, 2014 09:21PM)
Bryn,

You know how I feel about you as a person. That goes without saying.

But, even without your background, as a creator you are someone very special. It is MY honor that you allowed me to use a variation of your effect on Sapphire. I sincerely thank you for that.

Richard
Bryn-

I think Richard would agree with me that, if you go to MINDvention this year, we'd both be honored to have you sing with us. :eek:
I got the Safwan Papers yesterday and I am already impressed - yet only have read a bit. I will come back and review this once I've studied the routines.

Thank you Bryn!

All the best,

John.
[quote]
On 2014-01-27 22:21, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Bryn,

You know how I feel about you as a person. That goes without saying.

But, even without your background, as a creator you are someone very special. It is MY honor that you allowed me to use a variation of your effect on Sapphire. I sincerely thank you for that.

Richard
[/quote]

Richard: speechless. And you KNOW that's not like me!!

Bob: I would love to make it sometime..Could you imagine: the three of us walking on stage, the crowd expecting some mindreading, we bust in a version of Sinatra's "Luck Be A Lady"....and then just walking off.....priceless

Bryn
The walking off part would indeed be random and completely awesome. lol
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Jan 30, 2014 08:18AM)
Some people have no appreciation of fine music... :mad:
I KNOW, Richard!

I'll have everyone know that Richard, Bob Cassidy, and myself were asked in a letter from the Met Opera House to be the understudys for The Three Tenors. I have the letter right here, and it reads:

"Dear Richard, Bob & Bryn: Please don't ever try that stuff you call 'singing' here ever again. Thanks, The Met."

OPPS, I guess I read it wrong!

Oh well, back to the mentalism!

Bryn
Been obsessed with psi forces lately, and while I couldn't sell SEVEN on it's own to my liking (for whatever reason people catch me doing direct things seem to work for everyone else!!), what I've happily come back to is the verbal chicanery for narrowing down final suit, as well as understanding the value portion can be used to f*rce a much wider range of values given Bryn's flexible methodology.

Heck, if your happy with a near hit, you could probably use the final step get to half the cards in the deck.

So yeah, with a little practice and willingness to think on your feet, SEVEN is a FRAMEWORK for psi f*rcing hits or near hits of half the cards in the deck. Nice.

If everyone noticed this before I did, chalk it up to me being slow. =)
I just want to say I love the idea behind Seven. I have used it as an opener. I have a working on it, and I hope you guys understand what I mean without me exposing the method.

My idea is to reverse the prediction inside a deck of cards, then go into the routine and end by showing the deck and that one card is turned the other way. This in itself is not that amazing (at least for magicians), but the thing I like is the addition I figured out just "by accident".

My problem was the rare occasion when the original handling missed, and the spectator didn't end on the right card but one off. I first tried to get some kind of Kolossal Killer ending, but then out of pure luck, when I spread the cards one day the prediction card was next to the alternative "end card".

So, if all goes well, I spread the deck face up and show and then turn over the prediction, revealing the card to be the one the spectator thought of.

If it goes wrong, and the spectator doesn´t end on the card I predict, I just spread the cards and tell the spectator to look for something unusual. When I reach the card that is turned over, I point to the fact that it is a marking, and that next to that card is the card that the spectator thought of.
Picked this up on a few your recommendations. Very much enjoyed this, and I especially enjoyed BOHT and Koran Caps (they remind me of a certain favorite routine of mine by Rick Maue). I will definitely use them. If I get one or two ideas from a book that springboards me to other ideas, I usually consider it a win, so I am a happy camper.
Oh, so you guys are singing Sinatra at Mindvention? Awesome. Let's spread the word.
Thanks for the great words, guys. I'm so fortunate that SAFWAN is still generating interest and gaining new audiences!

Bryn
Café Members:

I have changed my signature to reflect a new lower price on The Logar Scrolls, and to keep it consistent with my other eBook, The Safwan Papers.

Both are $30 each. The combo deal for purchasing both at the same time is $50.

They can be purchased through Outlaw Effects, or directly from me:

Both my email and PayPal is: cavscout19@hotmail.com

Again, thank you for all the great comments and reviews on these two mentalism eBooks!

Bryn
Well worth EVERY penny!
Posted a double.
Very much enjoyed Safwan, Bryn...!
Glad ya like, gentlemen..... Thanks!

Bryn
[quote]On Sep 14, 2014, RedDevil wrote:
Picked this up on a few your recommendations. Very much enjoyed this, and I especially enjoyed BOHT and Koran Caps (they remind me of a certain favorite routine of mine by Rick Maue). I will definitely use them. If I get one or two ideas from a book that springboards me to other ideas, I usually consider it a win, so I am a happy camper. [/quote]

And springboard he did....RedDevil just sent me a multi-phased routine ( that I'm sure we will be hearing more about) in which the first phase uses HIS take on BOHT...nice! I love when something I've created is an inspiration for other to take it and run.....

Bryn
Bryn, yep, still a happy camper...I am assuming this means you are cool with my variation of your very nice BOHT??? :)
Just reread The Safwan Papers. Unlike a lot of material, I like it just as much now as when I first read it.

Excellent work.
Unfortunately for me, I haven't discovered Bryn Reynolds Safwan Papers until now (would have saved me a bit of money I spend on index wallets, if you consider his $4 Billet Index, which is a wonderful idea to turn your everyday wallet into a great index tool).
I agree with most of the statements, but I would like to add a comment on the effect SEVEN: I am looking for a solution for the "Name any Card" plot for quite some time and Bryn Reynolds approach is really refreshing and absolutely worth your serious consideration. A very well thought out procedure and a seemingly free choice process leads to a surprising finish - wonderful thinking!
RedDevil, I'm very cool with it, and glad you found "BOHT" valuable enough to work with.
And Mirko, the $4Index is something I've kept in my wallet for years (and I've deconstructed a few over the years for a fix at a vending machine!) SEVEN really is one of pets, and I appreciate the nice comments it has gotten over the years....glad you enjoy, and thank you!

Bob: I have a message for you, so please email me (in my sig) when you have time.
I appreciate the kind words about Safwan, and coming from you they certainly mean a lot to me....thanks!

Bryn
Big Bang for the buck!! I've read a lot of expensive mentalism ebooks. This book is not expensive, and it is one of the best! All workable material that you can use now. There is nothing I can say that would outshine the glowing recommendations from the leaders I. The field who have already reviewed it. I am a regular working Joe, though, and it is accessable to the likes of me. If you are reading this, buy it NOW!
I look forward to hearing more about RedDevils take on BOHT
If you know BOHT, you know it is a "one-time-can't-be-wrong" which hand ruse, subterfuge, etc. (The backstory I tell from Desert Storm is 100% what got me into this whole "there must be something more than magic" and onto & into mentalism...) RedDevil asked me and I told him to run with it: he builds a routine on it.

[quote]On Jan 2, 2015, zbmagic wrote:
I am a regular working Joe, though, and it is accessable to the likes of me. [/quote]

ZB: That compliment says a lot to me and is greatly appreciated....thank you.

Bryn
[quote]On Jan 3, 2015, sjrw wrote:
I look forward to hearing more about RedDevils take on BOHT [/quote]

Yeah, RD...how is this coming along? From the nice contributions he has offered here, his stuff should certainly have promise!

Bryn
Just figured out that this was for me...:)

Here's the deal. I came up with an evolution of BOHT as a methodology for a routine that didn't work very well when I tried it out. The BOHT part of it worked wonderfully, but the routine itself was not good, and I trashed it. Bryn, I would like to contribute this idea to you for your use if you ever do another manuscript. My title for it is: "She BOHT it..." :)

By the way, I am very proud of this idea, and I think it would have a lot of uses. I am very glad I purchased Safwan and discovered this little gem...Would be honored if Bryn used this take on it...Bryn, if you would like me to write it up, I can send a more thorough explanation of it, but you got the jist...
RD, I got the jist, and love it. Thanks for the contribution, and for thinking enough of BOHT to make it YOUR own. I'm very fortunate that many of the effects in Safwan were well-received, but I didn't think BOHT would be as well as it was. Honestly, I wove the effect around the wartime story to just tell how and why I got into mentalism in the first place, but many folks like yourself, Pat Redford, Jerome Finley, etc. thought enough of it to put variations into their own releases.

Again, thank you!

Bryn
Late to the party as always I just bought a download of The Safwan Papers. It was recommended to me for "Seven" to use with a miniature spirit slate. It's worth the money for "Seven" alone but I've been blown away by everything else on there. It's my first foray as an ageing amateur into the mentalism side of magic and I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet got a copy.
[quote]On Jul 25, 2015, Bogbadger wrote:
Late to the party as always I just bought a download of The Safwan Papers. It was recommended to me for "Seven" to use with a miniature spirit slate. It's worth the money for "Seven" alone but I've been blown away by everything else on there. It's my first foray as an ageing amateur into the mentalism side of magic and I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet got a copy. [/quote]

Thanks....I'm glad you enjoy the material!

Bryn
[quote]On Jul 25, 2015, John C wrote:
7 [/quote]

...is my pet.....

(and I'm glad some seem to like the other effects, as well... :) )

Bryn
Tonight I had my first opportunity to present 7 in a close up setting for a small studio audience.

Let me just say that it KILLED. Everything played out perfectly and the guy was left dumbfounded. If you haven't bought Safwan Papers yet, you are crazy. One of the best buys you will spend your money on.

BUY IT NOW!

Thanks Bryn for releasing this. 👍🏻👊🏻
[img]https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wy73hcIAVss/WvoozzGcHZI/AAAAAAAAAQc/b2oAszWhpuELh-qpU99L83-sFeA4IZ-ewCLcBGAs/s320/Sawfan%2BPlus.png[/img]

We are very happy at Mentalism Center to receive Bryn as creator, and his fantastic modern classic [url=https://thesafwanpapersplus.blogspot.cl/]"The Sawfan Papers" [/url] .

The order at the site not only includes the original one but also extra ideas that can boost more inspiration and creativity!
Awesome, Pablo.

Thanks you for having me be a part of the Mentalism Center. I see this will be a very professionally put together resource for
mentalists, and I predict this will be very well-received in the community.

Onward.....

Bryn
I just spent a sleepless night mulling over the Safwan Papers. Unable to poke holes or find faults in Bryn's methods, my mind turned to the more pleasurable pursuit of internalizing some of this material and imagining myself using it. Others have commented -- and rightly so -- on Bryn's clarity of writing and depth of thinking. I would like to lift up two other attributes. First, I think it is to Bryn's credit that he has presented material that attract the attention of luminaries such as Osterlind and Banacheck YET at the same time is understandable and useable to humble amateurs such as myself. Second, it's just fun to read. 7 made me smile; Bank Nite made me laugh out loud. Thanks, Bryn for sharing this labor of love.

Larry Ekin
[quote]On Dec 11, 2018, lekin wrote:
I just spent a sleepless night mulling over the Safwan Papers. Unable to poke holes or find faults in Bryn's methods, my mind turned to the more pleasurable pursuit of internalizing some of this material and imagining myself using it. Others have commented -- and rightly so -- on Bryn's clarity of writing and depth of thinking. I would like to lift up two other attributes. First, I think it is to Bryn's credit that he has presented material that attract the attention of luminaries such as Osterlind and Banacheck YET at the same time is understandable and useable to humble amateurs such as myself. Second, it's just fun to read. 7 made me smile; Bank Nite made me laugh out loud. Thanks, Bryn for sharing this labor of love.

Larry Ekin [/quote]

wait until you try 7. You can even do it with 4 cards in a wallet and only one off.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2018, lekin wrote:

I just spent a sleepless night mulling over the Safwan Papers.
[/quote]

Larry.... that is one very appreciated compliment. Thank you!

Bryn