(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite rubberband tricks!
Other than CMH what is everyones Favorite top 3 rubberband tricks? ....I think mine are:

1) Travlin Cash
2) Broken and restored band
3) Double jumpin bands
(In every kids magic book but people just seem to love it and I do the one handed twisted band around the fingers to LOCK IN the 2 jumpin bands)
Michael Webber has very cool linking rubberband routine on his lecture video, I am not sure what it is called, but I liked it very much.
Travelin Cash is other one with Christian Engbloms ending where the bill jumps out of the bands while spectators are holding it.
Yesterday I, by some strange reason, came up with an "adult" patter for CMH. Maybe Iīm not first with it, but I havenīt heard it before. The "trunk" of the patter is talking about penetration, and to always use rubber. Explain that is the friction (when rubbing the bands) that makes a perfect penetration.

Please fill in as you wish.

:blush:

Eeehh.. something popped into my mind again.. If one should end CMH with Stargazer, maybe you could mention something about it being a p###star...
Am I completely out of line here???

:innocent:
Aronson's Ring Leader (a ring and rubberband penetration in his book Try the Impossible) and Linked by Chris Kenner.
Kenner's routine is awesome, as well as Harlan's one band effects, and check out Ebony and Ivory, and Andy Leviss new linking bands when it comes out. :cool:
Chris Kenners (missing link) is by far the best, followed by
2. Simon Aronsons (ring leader)
3. The Joining these are three wonderful effects and they can all be intermixed into a very nice routine.
vinny
Are the missing link and ring leader hard or easy to do? Also, are they on the Dan Harlan rubberband tapes???
Missing Link is in Harlan's video (vol 1 I think). Aronson's Ring Leader can be found in his book "Try The Impossible".

My favourite is "Really Linked!" ;)
I'd have to go with the effect where the ring travels up the band (found in Magic For Dummies), Jeff Pierce's "The Joining" and Bernard Sims' "Really Linked."
My favorite Rubberband magic are

1) Missing link, C. Kenners
2) Star Gazer, A. Wong
3) Ebony and Ivory, A. Moden

Koji
I get a lot of milage out of Star Gazer. I usally start with some other type of rubberband magic and end with it. It always gets the ahs!
I have to go with the following:-

1. Missing Link - Cris Kenner
2. Star Gazer - A. Wong
3. Crazy Man's Handcuffs - M. Ammar

These are the three rubberband effects I get the best reactions from.
In no particular order:

1) Dan Harlan's "Snapped Again" from his [i]Bandshark[/i] video, which simplifies the setup and adds a killer convincer to the standard T&R.

2) My refinements of Steve Kradolfer's
"Power Link", the best impromptu linking bands you'll find anywhere, if you can track it down (it was published in one of the smaller mags, I think [i]Trapdoor[/i], years ago).

3) My "Linked for Life", the permanent, slow-motion linking bands I mentioned in another thread in this forum.

--A
One other rather more obscure effect that I haven't played with yet but looks to have a lot of potential (primarily as it is different in effect from most of the others) is Ray Kosby's Professor's Nightmare with three bands. He describes it on his International Magic video
My favorites are:

"Travelling Cash" from Harlan's "Band Shark"

and my own "The Joining", a ring and rubber band link. Check it out at:

http://www.members.aol.com/pierce603/magic.html
I like Traveling Cash, Crazy mans handcuffs, Aldo Colombini has a trick with a ring and a rubber band in one of his lectures, and all kind of tricks that I can do with cards and rubber bands
1. Crazymans handcuffs (The penetrating bands)
2. Snaky handcuffs (mine)
3. Travelling Cash (from Harlan's Band Shark)

and... I have to add... my own Ebony & Ivory. But never as a stand alone effect, but as a finale to the three above and some other rubber band effects. So as I do the three above more often than my own, I'll have to put them at the top of the list.
Yes Anders!

Your "Ebony & Ivory", great idea and routine!

I will order it again in the near future.

Koji
1. Slydini's Rubber Band Routine
2. Broken and Restored Rubber Band
3. The Joining

Cheers.
Harv
Crazy Mans Handcuffs by far
I have to say I have been playing with "the joining" and Aronson's ringleader and have to come down on the side of ringleader. There is practically no set up! Whereas the joining suffers from the same problem Kenner's missing link has, complex suspicious set up. The joining does deserve praise however. Good thinking Jeff!
My three are:

Stargazer
Crazy Man's Handcuffs
Broken and Restored
Crazyman as well as the self cutting deck.
I also tend to do the Houdini escape alot.
Stargazer

OR use a heart-shaped rubberband to do the CMH with your own patter!

best,
Hirase

P.S. thanks Bernard Sim
:donut6:
Hi My three are:

1) The Joining
2) Crazy Man's Handcuffs W/Bob Knigge's Hook Up
3) Traveling Cash
[quote]
On 2003-03-27 05:40, Loz wrote:
I have to say I have been playing with "the joining" and Aronson's ringleader and have to come down on the side of ringleader. There is practically no set up! Whereas the joining suffers from the same problem Kenner's missing link has, complex suspicious set up. The joining does deserve praise however. Good thinking Jeff!
[/quote]

Loz,
Thank you for the kind words on "The Joining." I understand that it's not for everyone and some will prefer the ease of "Ringleader" over the more complex setup of The Joining.
The difference, of course, is that with The Joining you show the ring freely linked with the rubberband, unlike Ringleader where you must remain holding the ring for the illusion to work.

Enjoy whichever you feel most comfortable with, it's all good!

Jeff Pierce
1. Crazy Man's Handcuffs
2. Traveling Cash
3. Stargazer
I really like the one where you thread their ring on a broken rubber band and it appears to move up across the band with no moment from you. What is the name of that one?

Andrew

Does anyone know what I am referring to? It is urking me...

:crazydude: :fruity:

Andrew
I took out Harlan's video and viewed it. It's called Climbing Ring from his video.
I've seen a South American magician doing a rubber band penetration through the neck. It was incredible and really strong!! Anyone heard of it ???
[quote]
On 2003-04-11 06:59, Bernard Sim wrote:
I took out Harlan's video and viewed it. It's called Climbing Ring from his video.
[/quote]

When they taped this I'm guessing they screwed up - theres no explanation proper, it is featured in a Super Practise session and you can dope out the method by watching it there.
1. CMH
2. Climbing ring
3. Bandorama

I've seen it refered to as "the elevator ring"

[quote]
On 2003-04-07 20:30, Andrew E. Miller wrote:
I really like the one where you thread their ring on a broken rubber band and it appears to move up across the band with no moment from you. What is the name of that one?

Andrew

Does anyone know what I am referring to? It is urking me...

:crazydude: :fruity:

Andrew

[/quote]
Addition to my earlier post
Pinnacle is onthe top of the list with missing link and ring leader all thewse effects can be combined to do a wonderful routine
vinny
Crazy Man's Handcuff gets my vote.
For me, Pinnacle and Band Through Thumb.

I haven't done Star Gazer or the Climbing Ring, but I might have to check them out now!
The kenner routine in Totally out of Control, is fantastic. I believe it is basically the same that is in Michael Webers book Lifesavers but the Kenner book is MUCH easier to learn from.

The drawings are much easier to understand than the black and white photos.

Plus, kenner uses 2 very different sized bands and weber uses 2 similar bands (except color, I believe) which you can't tell apart in the book anyway.

Also, the Kenner book really has some other fantastic effects in it.

If you don't have "Totally Out of Control" you should get it! Coins, cards, Bands, etc.
Has anyone tried this by Anders Moden (inventor of Healed and Sealed Soda)

http://magi.nu/ebony/Effect.html
Pinnacle
Ring off Rubber Band from Tarbell
I thought everyone was going to put Crazy Man's Handcuff. I guess I was wrong.
Dynamike, I think the original post asked for effects other than CMH. That one's pretty high on everyone's list, I think.
I like the "band over band" effect from one of Dan Harlan's videos. He attributes it to a guy from New Jersey whose name I forget. And I also forget which video it is on.

But a single band is stetched between the two hands and the hands are turned in opposited directions so there is one side of the band on top, and the other side under it. If the hand is twisted, the middle of one band contacts the middle of the other band. And suddenly it penetrates and the band that was on top is on the bottom now!

You can have a spectator hold on to the top band and "wham" they are now holding the bottom band.

It is a nice break from CMH - which I love... but some poeple have seen it before, so I throw this one in.

BroDavid
My favorites are -

Traveling Tips
Snapped Again
Bandlocked- I know it's simple, but Harlan's presentation of the classic really fools people.
Joint Venture
I like:
Star Gazer
Missing link
Linked 4 Life
:cool:
The band over band described by BroDavid is called twisted I believe, and it's on the bandshark video.

Simon
Pinnacle
Crazy Man's Handcuff
Broken & Restored Rubberband
Travelling Cash
Climbing Ring on Rubber Band

Mats G. Kjellstrom
http://www.mastermagic.info
Crazy Mans Handcuffs followed by Snapped (broken and restored band) is the perfect one-on-one effect for strolling.
To tell you the truth I don't know 3 rubber band effects - but I've definately seen more than three. However the one I like best which I can actually perform is none other than:

- - Pinnacle - - so cool!!!

Mike JRogers :wavey:
1) Missing Link
2) CMH
3) Pinnacle with Aronson's Ringleader finale

I thought it might be interesting to show a tally.

8 Travlin Cash
8 Missing Link
7 Star Gazer
6 Pinnacle
5 Broken & Restored Band
5 The Joining
4 Ring Leader
3 Linked 4 Life
3 Climbing Ring
2 Ebony & Ivory
2 Really Linked
2 Snapped Again
1 Double Jumpin Bands
1 Weber's linking bands
1 Power Link
1 Snaky Handcuffs
1 Slydini's routine
1 Bandorama
1 Band Through Thumb
1 Ring Off Rubber band
1 Traveling Tips
1 Bandlocked
1 Joint Venture

Keep in mind that this is just what people use, it doesn't mean that they are the best. I omitted CMH because the original poster asked us to leave it out. Even I couldn't actually NOT mention CMH but I leave it out of the tally.
Well I've finally seen Chris Kenner's Missing Link trick performed and taught on Dan Harlan's Rubberband Video #2.

very, very nice BUT, I do the exact same thing with Jeff Pierce's The Joining trick
using a ring OR rubberband.

The set up is MUCH faster and easier to do and the band release at the end is more logical I feel.

Anyone else think this way?
Check out "The Joining" a ring and rubberband link that would make a perfect replacement for the last phase in Pinnacle.

http://www.members.aol.com/pierce603/magic.html

Thanks
Jeff PIerce
Pinnacle
Without a doubt, CMH.
But I may add Pinnacle to my repertoire if I ever get around to purchasing it.
I have a manuscript for Linking Ring but havenít put the time in to master it yet.
I will break from the chorus here and boldly say that I HATE Crazy Man's Handcuffs!

Why? Because it's just half an effect. If you could really pass rubber thru rubber, wouldn't you logically do it both ways? Unlinking AND linking?

There are several effects out there that go both ways, all different handlings of the same basic method. Slydini's "Linking Bands" is one example. Any of them are a better show than the over-rated unlink-only CMH, in my opinion.
CMH is my favorite.

Next is the broken and restored rubber band.

When I first saw CMH, I was so amazed by the effect, which was repeated three times (the Ammar routine) that I had to learn it. I bought the book, "The Magic of Michael Ammar."

I get reactions of astonishment when I do the CMH. I donít think anyone typically thinks that the bands should link just because they unlink. I never thought that. No one in my family who saw this performed thought it. I have discussed this trick with other magicians, and while they thought being able to link the bands is worthwhile, they don't feel it is necessary in all presentations.

An analogy would be to say that Houdiniís trunk escapes were incomplete because he didnít magically get back in the trunk at the end.

There is nothing wrong with linking and unlinking the bands. It is all a matter of presentation.

If the CMH is presented as an escape analogy, then linking the bands is superfluous.
Which broken and restored rubberband should I get for walkaround / close up.