(Close Window)
Topic: Ricky Jay's Cups & Balls
This was the 1st cups & balls routine I ever saw. it was the one that made me fall in love with the cups (which is STILL my favorite effect).i've seen lots of different routines since, but to me this one is special.

I found it on youtube yesterday. knowing how Ricky hates to have vids of himself on the net it probibly wont last long, so enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgm4wZCACYg
Darth

Great post cups and balls youtube lead me to Sword of Vengeance which was awesome
[quote]
On 2008-04-12 10:54, fireperformer911 wrote:
Darth

Great post cups and balls youtube lead me to Sword of Vengeance which was awesome
[/quote]

Ditto on the Sword video. Really great.
None of his YouTube videos play for me. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks, Bill
It does looks great
Inspire me
Thanks for sharing

Andre
Update your flash player and they should play fine.
All youtube videos rely on Flash.
Mobius
Ricky Jay is always such an enagaging performer, no matter the trick.

Fortasse
Ricky Jay is up there for me. He is one of the main reasons I got back into magic.

-todd
Lead me to his multiple card selection routine which was far better than any I've seen.
Bill, any idea who made such a nice set of (I assume) Paul Fox combo cups? LOVE that routine.
By the way, where is Bill?

Fortasse
Ricky Jay is one of my all time favorites and IMO has the best patter of all! I always enjoyed his character in the HBO series "Deadwood" as well!
The idea of a Paul Fox chop cup and/or combo cups has been discussed before. If I remember correct Pete Biro posted a few years ago that there wern't any marketed Paul Fox chop/combo cups made; but there was ONE single cup that Danny Dew put a magnet into. No additional information was disclosed about who may have or have had the cup.

Only those who have had the tooling would know if any custom orders have ever been done. If there was a custom combo set made, I doubt we will know anytime soon.
I have been at the Austin magic auction for the past few days. Just got back to town.

I'm reasonably certain that those cups have the single Paul Fox chop cup that Danny made. Interesting that he does the Bosco sequence to someone else's script.
Who's is it Bill? I've always loved latin, it sounds like REAL magic words.
That part of the script is out of Hocus Pocus, Junior.
That was a lovely routine. Thanks for posting!
That was really really great!
-DJ
I gotta say, pound for pound that is the most entertaining routine of them all.....
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Apr 22, 2008 05:58PM)
What an inspiring routine by a magical master. I just loved the chronology of the story and how it was lightly seasoned with intelligent humour. This is truly a video to watch again and again...thanks for sharing this link with us.

jeff
:thumbsup: great one, thanks for sharing
I'm surprised that the videos remain up since they are from an HBO show that hasn't been released on tape or disk.

Great routine though, I've seen it before, but it never occured to me that he used a chop cup, his handling was very nice. Maybe I'll try to get a combo set when I get some "real" cups.
That whole show is important work. I wish everybody could see it in its entirety at least once.
Bill, any information about the tin cups that are briefly displayed during that version? They look ALMOST as old as Pete.
I can't see them well enough to tell anything about them, but they don't sound like tin cups. Most tin cups don't ring at all. These sound more like brass cups, probably Brema or early Ireland cups -- probably around 1910 - 1940.
Pepka: You are lucky my Dr. said "No Bowling"--- Heheheh... See you this coming week.
A brilliant routine; thanks for the (surprising) link.
I really like the way he connects all the history of the cups into one great story.
When was this done? What was the name of the show? and Where is the location? I know, lots of questions... but this seemed to just come out of no where :)
-DJ
Mid 90's
It was on HBO
Called Ricky Jay and his 52 assisitants and was his boradway one man show.
His 53rd assistant was David Roth.

It is not on video tape as of this time but several people who copied it from when it aired made a video AVI file of it and posted sections of it on the net at places like yourtube.
I have it from when it first aired on HBO. The card material is flawless, the cups routine as you can see is fantastic and the whole production is top notch.
Mobius
Pepka was KING at WMS he had the highest bowling score of anyone in the tournament and won a nice trophy.
Way to go Pepka! by the way the "train" goes out in the morning. you should get it soon
Thanks Darth and Pete. Having a mother who owned a bowling alley when I was a kid has it's advantages. You just wait til next year Pete, our team found a CORPORATE SPONSOR! I REALLY can't wait to show you what we have in mind.

Back to Ricky's routine, I put this on my iPod for inspiration. It's always been one of my favorite pieces of magic.

Darth, I'll be sure to send you my "Thumbs Down" review when I get Train, thanks again!
Like I said, don't get your hopes up on seeing a good movie. its like 'attack of the killer tomatoes'.its so bad its funny in some places. the only reason I had it was because david Copperfield was in it.
Pepka, great idea. I think I might do the same. This is amazing and inspirational. I have just started on my cups and balls journey and I love to have examples to inspire me.

Scott
An absolutely beautiful routine. The Card Control routine is very entertaining as well.
What I was most impressed with was the distance in time between final loads and the final revelation. That is routining!
I also like the Sword of Vengence, yet another really simple (technically) effect that played as a miracle.
Just goes to show you, once again, that a strong presentation from an engaging personality makes the 'trick' worth it for the spectator.

I, too, am a huge fan and love his C&B routine! I wasn't a fan of the C&B until seeing his handling; influenced me to create the one that I perform.

Rick
I love Ricky Jay.

Now I love him more.

Funny thing, however, that here at the Café there are repeated threads of "Name the top five..." whatever, and Ricky rarely makes the lists. Why would that be?

I love Ricky Jay.
Incredible, you get a history lesson along with your entertainment. Not to mention a taste of Ricky Jay's stage personality, which I find absolutely amazing.
[quote]
On 2008-06-09 12:53, stoneunhinged wrote:
I love Ricky Jay.

Now I love him more.

Funny thing, however, that here at the Café there are repeated threads of "Name the top five..." whatever, and Ricky rarely makes the lists. Why would that be?

I love Ricky Jay.
[/quote]

Probably because the folks who make those lists don't have a clue who he really is. I first saw Ricky on the Carson show in the 70's in that dark blue three piece suit with long hair wearing a viking helmet! And if I remember correctly, he was doing MacDonald's Aces pattering about the 12 tribes of Israel....

Rick
And it is worth mentioning that in this show "Ricky Jay and his 2 Assistants" his 53rd assistant is none other than David Roth.

I'm hopin' to make it to the Coinvention somtime This century.

Elliot
I recorded that HBO program & enjoy watching it over & over again! My favorite line he ever did in a movie was from "Mystery Men": "I'm a publicist, not a Magician!" Yeah, right! He also did a "quick version of his Cups & Balls Routine on the "X-Files." (Season 7; "The Amazing Maleeni".)
I recorded that HBO program & enjoy watching it over & over again! My favorite line he ever did in a movie was from "Mystery Men": "I'm a publicist, not a Magician!" Yeah, right! He also did a "quick version of his Cups & Balls Routine on the "X-Files." (Season 7; "The Amazing Maleeni".)
I would kill for a copy of his hbo special. I had it on tape once but I len t it to a friend and his vcr ate it