(Close Window)
Topic: Pavel's Super Walking Knot
Hi there,

Is there somebody who does the effect "Pavel's Super Walking Knot"?

Is the effect really "clear" as it says? I hope someone can help me.

Best regards,

Richard
The Netherlands
Richard,

Pavel has two versions of this trick. The expensive one has about 13 gimmicks along the length of the rope. The cheaper one has five gimmicks (I think, I could be wrong and it only has 3 gimmicks).

The first version works exactly as Pavel advertises! You can apparently cut anywhere the spectator says "stop", you knot the two ends together and then slide the knot left or right to any point the spectator again says stop. You untie the knot right there showing the hole has travelled to a new location. Re-tie the knot, move the knot again and restore the rope.

The second version you get close to a gimmick (keep moving when "stop" is called) before you cut, move the knot, and restore the rope. There is a bit of a bluff with the second version.

Of the two versions I think that the first is the better. (Spend the few extra Swiss Franks for it!)

I do perform this effect. It does get a good reaction.

(I do have two of the first version and I would be willing to sell one. If you are interested PM me).
Harry what color is the ropeó red, white, blue?
It is white. However Pavel will make it in almost any color for you.
Hi Harry,

I have sent you a PM, did you receive it? I am interested in the effect.

Best regards,

richard
I saw Tony Shelley perform this at a conclave in Sydney; it is a beautiful, beautiful trick. Wildly expensive but when you see the work that's gone into it you'll know why. I'd strongly recommend this.

Cheers
Billy
I got this effect from Pavel almost 20 years ago. I use it quite often and it is a great effect.

Mago Mai
Harry,
Do you use any patter with the trick? I am interested in the trick but I saw it performed one day and didn't think it got much of a response. I was wondering if anyone had a patter that made the trick more entertaining.
I think it is a trick that needs patter, at least usually, to make sense. I heard it done once with a fun story about a kid cutting his mom's clothes line...then the lengths he went to to conceal the knot.
quack
Yes I have had this for about 15 years from Pavel, the expensive one. I bought it because I saw it performed on TV by who else but the judge on Night Court! :D
Yeah, Harry Anderson (the judge) made a masterpiece out of it, as he does with almost anything he performs.

I own it, it's a wonderful effect, well worth the price IF you are going to use it. ;)
Richard,
Just so you know this is not a hard trick to do but it will need practice to make it look as clean and smooth as Pavel. I don't get to use it as much as I like since a lot of my jobs are close up and you can't do this one close up (at least not in my opinion). But if you have the time to put into it, get the more expensive one and add it to the showó it will be a hit. I like to swap out my rope that I do a gag with earlier to take the heat off of the rope being gimmicked.
Michael
I am interested in picking up the rope (20 ft) that I am using for a barrier when street performing, and using it. Would this rope pass inspection (ie would I be able to have it at people's feet the entire time? What happens if a child picks plays with it while watching the show?

The other option I was considering would be a rope through body.
The rope is gimmicked to within an inch of its existence. It should end up in your ditch bag or case as soon as you're done with it.
I take it by that that I don't want it at my crowds feet for 10 minutes.

Thanks..
I also don't think you'd want to lay a two-hundred dollar plus rope on the ground for very long, if at all.
It depends what I am being paid for the show, and how long it would last.

I am trying to get over concern with my props like that. After all to everyone else, and in my stage attitude, it is supposed to look just like a $2.00 rope.
No, it is not supposed to look like a $2.00 rope; it looks more like a $10.00 rope (itís thicker than any magicians rope you will find, looks more like a climbing rope).
:rotf:

Putting a rope down on the ground to define a performing area is a nice idea but I donít think that I would want to use a rope for much of anything that has been lying on the ground.

I think that the casual handling of the rope does help take any heat off of it. Heat or no heat it is not a close-up trick.

Further, after just a few performances your rope will look pretty dirty. I donít think that will enhance your image or performance persona. You will be washing it every night following a day on the streets. While washing will not really hurt the gimmicks it will ultimately shorten the life of your prop (gentle cycle and air dry). If you are making the kind of money that affords you a new $200.00 prop every few weeks then go for it!

Me? My Pavel Super Walking Rope is over 12 years old and still looks great. While I donít worship my props, I do take a modicum of care of them and they give me good long service.
I wish I was making that kind of money.. Someday. Someday soon...

But it sounds like the Super walking knot is not going to fill the bill for me. My other choice was a rope through body.

As far as your other points go, these are all great concerns. The dirt, and wear on the rope were reasons I want to use a black nylon rope. It will show less dirt, hold up and wash well, and stand out against the white wall I will be performing in front of.

At the moment I am trying to use Krazy Glue to Stiffen the rope in prep for the gimmick, so that I can wash it repeatedly. Do you have any suggestions with preping it?
:confused:

I started another topic called gimmicked ropes.

Thanks for the info.

Drew

Did you still have the extra for sale??

I won't throw it on the ground, I promise :lol:

Drew
This effect is a reputation maker. I know that it sure helped Harry Anderson!
Shawn Farquhar performs this effect as well, it's beautiful, he does it to music, awesome
Derek :applause:
I had one many years ago and after working with it in several shows, I found I wasn't getting the reaction I wanted.

The trick needs really clever patter or music to fill the time it takes to tie it up to two microphone stands (or whatever), and to strike it afterwards. Otherwise, you have a lot of dead time onstage with little of interest going on.

If you are not going to use music, I suggest you really work hard on the patter or story you use when performing this trick. The illusion is very strong, but it still needs strong showmanship to sell it.
I saw it performed once. It didn't really have much of a presentation and it still made my jaw drop. Maybe Jim's audiences were too dumbstruck to say anything. At the time I was so impressed. I didn't realize it had no presentation. Just my experience, I'm not saying you should neglect presentation.
The original concept was Paul Curry's and my jaw more than dropped when I saw Doug Henning do it in New York.

Curry's method used two assistants and was really difficult to set up.

Pavel's is a piece of cake to do... you do need to practice tying the knots so they look like real knots... but the rope cannot stand inspection or be touched by the audience.

For the streets use Bob Sheets' rope through body... you can be fairly rough with it, even though it has a gimmick.

Sheeets get a ton out of it and I have seen him do it on the street.
Harry performs the WALKING knot on the young comedians special:
see my ACT page on:
http://www.harryandersonfan.com

Ellen
harryandersonfan.com :jump:
Does anyone know how Pavels Super Walking Knot compares with the Conradi Rope Trick I recently saw advertised? The effects are different but may or may not be based on similar principles. PM me is necessary.
I don't own or perform the Super Walking Knot but my good buddy Chuck Mignosa does and I've handled his rope and seen his routine. It is a killer effect, but you really must be on stage, a little distance from the audience. Anybody close is going to be able to see the gaffs and it's just not a piece of street magic at all.
Chuck has a very nice presentation that also tends to get around the fact that the rope will get dirty over time and is difficult, if not impossible, to clean because of the gaffs.
Chuck first does a more standard cut and restored rope routine with the smaller diameter white magicians rope. It's handled and examined by a member of the audience. When it's over, and the spectator has been dismissed, the show is "interrupted" by the sudden appearance onstage of the "janitor." This is a person that was seen briefly before the show started, sweeping the stage and dressed as a custodian. In Chuck's case, the "janitor" was played to perfection by Ormond McGill. At any rate, this "janitor" suddenly walks out and challenges the magician to do the rope trick "his way." He's dragging a kind of old but heavyweight rope with him that looks like it's something he may use for fastening down loads or creating impromptu barricades. In reality, it's the Super Walking Rope. Chuck, apparently surprised by this, accepts the challenge. The janitor now bring two chairs out onto the stage and positions them some ten or twelve feet apart. He then ties the ends of the rope to the chairs, leaving the necessary slack required by the method. He then challenges Chuck to cut the rope and put it back together. Chuck then allows him to choose any spot and cut the rope himself. (Possible since you're working with a "stooge.") The janitor does so, and Chuck then ties the loose ends of the rope together as per Pavels handling. He then, slides the knot to a different spot on the rope once or twice. Strong effect. And then asks the "janitor" where he would like the knot to end up. The janitor indicates a spot and Chuck slides the knot there, and unties the knot at that point. The janitor just grabs the two chairs, one in each hand with the pieces of rope dragging behind, and exits, shaking his head and muttering to himself.
It's a beautiful theater piece, but will only work if the audience believes that the "janitor" is real... connected to the venue you're performing in, and not a part of the "show."
Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Nice idea with the Janitor... thanks for posting :stircoffee:
Pavel does have the "Junior Walking Knot", six feet for about $75.
Hi Richard

The Walking Knot is a great trick and there is nice version in Jim Steinmeyer's book [i]Device and Illusion[/i]. The routine is not quite as versatile as the Pavel version but the major advantage is that the rope is ungimmicked. The trick can be made at home for very little cost too.

I would recommend this one!

Regards
Scott