(Close Window)
Topic: Card to box
Hey everyone,

I am looking for methods to have a signed, selected card appear back in the card box. I am thinking about using this as an ending to an impromptu ambitious card routine. I am looking for any suggestions, ideas, methods already in print, etc.

Thanks in advance,

lcombs
Go to the magicians page on james brown's site http://www.jamesbrownmagic.com/magicians.asp
on his new lecture dvd there is a fantastic card to box, under box etc on spectators hand
enjoy!
Thanks, I will go check it out.

lcombs
Also check out http://www.fasttricks.com they have all kinds of moves, slieghts. if you don't see what your looking for email them and ask I was told they have thousands of other moves which they will be adding so perhaps they could help you
hope this helps
John
There is an interesting card to box routine on one of the Cultural xchange dvds. The card is loaded into the box while the spectator is holding it. Bold move, a little too angley for me though.

I tend just to MCF the card, then load it under the closed box, then insert two fingers into the box, thumb underneath and mime pulling the card out of the box.
Al Schneider has an ambitious card routine which ends with the signed card going to the card case. You can find it on Volume 2 of the Schneider Technique DVD series from L&L.

John Neely
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 21, 2008 07:20PM)
Curtis Kam published "jack in the box" way back when which uses just one card and the cardcase (and no slit in the box ;) )
Why not leave a card in the box, take advantage of the fact that the back design is printed on many cases by palming and loading under the case, show box around, open box to show card inside and then mime taking the card out as suggested above by Carducci.
Scott
There's a one card " Jack in the Box" on Ray Kosby's Impossible Card Magic DVD. I'm not familiar with Curtis Kam's, so I don't know how the methods compare.
Stepping Out with Molly from the Expert's Portfolio by Jack Carpenter has a great card to box kicker.
Corey Burke has a rockin' set of lecture notes called "Kardma Sutra." He offers some routines that involve cards going under a box if that is something you might want to combine with a card in box effect.
Brian
Check House Guest from Forces Unseen - The Innovative Card Magic of Ernest Earick
Cultural xchange 2 have a card in box called "Kelly in the box" but is very angley, Kostya Kimlat lecture also have a card inside box routine.
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Carducci - I am not familiar with the acronym MCF. What does this stand for?

lcombs
Lcombs,
MCF is a mercury card fold.

Its worth having a look at Encased by Dave Forrest, very clever and ever so simple.
Chris
If you can track down Steve Bedwell's effect 'Parked Card', this gives a full routine around what Carducci suggests. (Only card in box I have used for last 10 years - very impromptu!)

Can anyone who knows this compare to other versions mentioned??
I've seen this kind of effect performed by Denis Behr, and if I remember correctly it's from Earnest Earick's book mentioned by antonio123
[quote]
On 2008-04-22 04:31, dragee wrote:
Kostya Kimlat lecture also have a card inside box routine.
[/quote]
Yup Shulien Reloaded - what a wonderfull take on that classic.
I hate to do it :lol:, but... you can find "Pandoras (card) Box" and "Reloaded Cardcase" of Kostya Kimlat in "Best of Friends III"...
Father Roger Crosthwaite has something to say about this subject, too. thought of card travels to cardbox...two times. (Inner Sanctum I).
Axel
Keep them coming guys, these are all great ideas. I came across a method by Paul Gertner in the first Apocalypse book (blue). Very bold, but clean, impromptu and done right in front of the spectators' eyes. Anyone ever tried this one?

lcombs
Houseguest is a lot of fun but somewhat impractical in the real world. I find myself using Guy Hollingworth's method from Drawing Room Deceptions all the time. Really well constructed 3 phase routine, especially set up so it needs almost no table space.

Great for table-hopping.
Heckler by Brian Tudor has a signed selection to Card Box which is very cool.
Visions of Wonder with Tommy Wonder includes Ambitious card plus Jewel Box you can find this performance on youtube.

In The Trenches with Paul Green also includes Card to mini suicase he calls " Mission Impossible"

Hope these help
For a knuckle-busting version, I also recommend "House Guest" from "By Forces Unseen." This is not as impractical as one may think (but make sure you have good angles)! I think the merit of this version is that the deck never comes in contact with the cards, which I believe is a big giveaway in most card to box effects.

Best,
Charles
Some good references to "card to box" handlings and routines have already been listed... but here are a couple more options:

If you want to play around with a variation where you don't need the card to be signed, you could take a look at Masuda's "Boxing Match" & use one of the alternative handlings to achieve the "card to box" effect (instead of the primary card transformation effect). You're giving up the strength of having a signed card show up in an impossible location for the strength of a very visual appearance of the "chosen card". It's a very nice illusion worth looking into if you haven't seen it yet. You can always catch a video of the performance on YouTube or on the Masuda Item main website to see what it looks like.

OR

One of my favorite signed "card to box" (or signed card to anywhere) routines is John Bannon's "Heart of the City" from his book Smoke and Mirrors. I think most of the advertising that I have come across online for this effect states that the signed card appears in a sealed envelope, but as explained in his book, once you understand his routine, the signed card can show up anywhere you want. I have always used the cardbox, and this routine always slays.

Cheers for now,
James
R. Paul Wilson also has a card to box routine with a transposition of 2 cards - 1 on the edge of the case and 1 in the box appearing. It is in "Five Times Five Scotland" and the title is "Card on Case in Case". Some great, great misdirection techinques are explained. Just an overall awesome book too. I also read that he has an effect called "The Inslow Effect" where 2 cards are thought of, 1 card is the only odd colored card in the deck and the other is in the box. It can be done gimmicked and un-gimmicked... I will review further once I get my hands on it.

Cheers,

Justin
I've been looking for a good signed "card to card box" routine. A palmed card to card box. Suggestions?