(Close Window)
Topic: Active forms of marketing for a close-up magician.
I am posting this thread to ask about active forms of marketing for a close-up magician that mainly looks for table hopping and strolling gigs at weddings, birthdays and dinners etc...

I work at a restaurant regularly and that lets me hand out my business cards and people get to know me from word of mouth and I also have a poster and some flyers that I put up too, but all this is passive marketing and I want to know what I can do actively to get more gigs?

I am getting gigs but I want more and I know I can do that with actively marketing my self but what can I do to actively market my self for the target above?

I would highly appreciate any help given and please stick to the subject at hand.

Thanks, magico563 :)
Get "opt-in, pre-qualified permission" to connect with THEM instead of 'waiting' for them to for them to call you from a card you handed out or a poster they saw.

There are millions of ways to do that...
= Contests
= Opt-in Promotions
= Bounce-Back offers
= Surveys
= Give Always
...etc

You get the idea. Then YOU are in the driver’s seat. Outreach to them.

That should get things started.

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano in Reno
<><
Dean I don’t understand what you are saying?

I already do plenty of give always and after every gig I send a thank you letter and a feedback sheet to the person who booked me. But I did not understand the other things you said like:

= Contests
= Opt-in Promotions
= Bounce-Back offers

Could you expand on those please?

Thanks, magico563 :)
Mr magic563,

I think what 'THE DEAN' is reffering to, is not a thank you letter and a feedback from the restuarant who booked you, but from the clients/customers that actually ate at the restuarant on the nights when you're performing there.

You shouldn't be handing out your business cards, what you should be doing is telling them that you've just given out your very last business card to the last table that you performed, but you'd be more than happily to contact them if they've got a business card (or hand them a note pad which has already got other potential clients names, addresses, tel. no's. and e-mail addresses, etc) so that way, instead of waiting for them to contact you...a horrendeous poistion to put yourself in, you can now contact them + often!

With regards to contests and opt-in promotions, simply put, that's simple contests wherein the customers provide their own contact details, (which you share with the restaurant), in the hope that they'll win that months prize (a free main course/a free dessert/a free bottle of champagne/30 mins of your own performance time at one of their own private events, etc.)

Bounce-back offers?...better let THE DEAN answer that one.

Another idea, is to carry a guest book (or to have it in the reception area of the restaurant) and when you recieve a good comment, ask them to write it down in your book along with their contact details.

The basic point of all the above is to NEVER EVER leave yourself in that really ugly position of waiting for them to contact you but instead, you should be contacting them...once every month!

Hope this helps,

Martin
Here's my 2 cents FWIW:

If you want to book more shows, and this might sound backwards to you but I think its correct, you should not look at yourself as "close-up magician" but "wedding reception entertainer" or "cocktail hour entertainer."

Each of the ideas you've suggested are fantastic. You have recognized a need that people have that you can fullfill. They need entertainment, you're an entertainer. Perfect match!

Now, it's a matter of figuring out how to market to these people. My suggestion: Don't print up another business card or flyer. Don't make a web site, or send out another email. Find out how your potential clients would prefer to receive their information, and design marketing materials around that.

So, you want to market to engaged couples? How do they prefer to recieve their information? Maybe they comb through those local wedding magazines? Maybe they spend a lot of time at the area wedding dress place and would look at a postcard stuffed into their bags? Maybe they would ask area reception hall managers for referrals? I don't know what the real answer is, but you can find out, if you ask engaged couples.

If you want to do cocktail hour entertaining, follow the above steps again. Treat each type of performing as it's own thing, or "campaign."

Do these things, and consider yourself a marketing genius. Not to mention, you'll develop a reputation for being the "go-to guy" for your particular specialties.

My 2 cents are spent.
Martin,

WELL DONE brother… thank you!

“Bounce Back” promotions are simply a way to get the customer to “Bounce Back” to the restaurant because of some sort of ‘offer’ (Bounce Back Coupon, Letter, Offer) that you AND the restaurant create and use as an ‘ethical bribe’, incentive, inducement for them to return (bounce-back) to the restaurant. (applies to most markets... not JUST restaurants!)

= A free desert
= A Two For One
= A Free Magic Trick
…etc

WIN, WIN, WIN.

Troy,

Bingo! Dead-On brother!

Troy has the pretty well laid-out, common sense answer for just about EVERY question that starts out with: “How Do I Market To…” – Bravo!

Would that it be all that simple… and yet IT IS!

Kudos to two VERY Smart Professionals!

Thank you!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano (Love it when success is simple, and it is!) in Reno
<><
Thanks you for all the great coments given and I will be sure to look into everyone!!

Thanks again, magico563:-)
Ever seen one of those giant fishbowls with business cards in it? there's usually a sign nearby that says, "Toss in your business card for a chance to win ________"

You'd be shocked how many people will toss in a business card for a shot at winning a $25 gas card.
[quote]
On 2008-05-09 23:56, Dustin Baker wrote:
Ever seen one of those giant fishbowls with business cards in it? there's usually a sign nearby that says, "Toss in your business card for a chance to win ________"

You'd be shocked how many people will toss in a business card for a shot at winning a $25 gas card.
[/quote]

Dustin what a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks again, magcio563:-)
[quote]
On 2008-05-10 03:52, magico563 wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-05-09 23:56, Dustin Baker wrote:

[/quote]

Dustin what a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks again, magcio563:-)
[/quote]

Another great idea!

As I said, always put yourself in the postion of the 'power-marketing marketing-magician', that is to say...you get their name and contact details instead of waiting for them to contact you...YUCK...I can't think of a more horrible position to put yourself in...WHY?...because I used to do exactly that! (Gives me the shivers, cold sweats and nightmares just thinking about it!)
[quote]
On 2008-05-10 07:43, martin king wrote:
I can't think of a more horrible position to put yourself in...WHY?...because I used to do exactly that! (Gives me the shivers, cold sweats and nightmares just thinking about it!)
[/quote]

Thanks for reminding me Martin, I thought I repressed those memories in therapy.
Now I'm sitting in the fetal position holding a blanket. Again, thanks a lot!

Posted: May 11, 2008 3:01pm
I just thought of something I should mention.

I've tried it with $25, $50, and $100 cards.
All got the same results, there was no variance in the number of cards (in comparison the the size of the venue).

Also, you should have a little stack of fill in your name and number business cards and some pens near the fishbowl. That way, people without business cards can offer-up their information as well.
Suggested: ask for Name, Age, City, Phone, Email, and Occupation.
I agree and when I do this, I also have and make up a few forms that people can fuill out in the event that they do not have a business card. Then I feel that it is also important that every person in the bowl gets a personal repsonse from you in some format a few days after the event is over etc. Make sure also that if using this idea for children's shows that you have on there that the parent must fill it out or they must gte a parents signature. This day and age that is very important.

Kyle
[quote]
On 2008-05-11 15:11, magic4u02 wrote:
I agree and when I do this, I also have and make up a few forms that people can fuill out in the event that they do not have a business card. Then I feel that it is also important that every person in the bowl gets a personal repsonse from you in some format a few days after the event is over etc. Make sure also that if using this idea for children's shows that you have on there that the parent must fill it out or they must gte a parents signature. This day and age that is very important.

Kyle
[/quote]

Thanks you so much Mr Peron, for that really cool extra extra tip!
Dustin:

The only hoax booking I ever got was just after I had tossed my card in at Tim Horton's.
What's Tim Horton's?
We don't have those here.

It's probably one of those Carl's Jr./Hardy's things.
Also consider getting a list of local wedding planners and letting them know what you do and that you exist.

Jay