(Close Window)
Topic: $1,000,000
If you all wanted to do a GENUINE $1,000,000 bill switch...you can!
Go to your foreign exchange and simply get some of these bills...they are genuine as I said...from Zimbabwe!...where inflation runs at 16,000 %, not kiddin'.
The million dollar note will set you back about $0.20 so can be given away. Have fun.
That's an interesting idea...Thanks!

Mark. :)

PS - Welcome to the Café!
That's a great idea.
I've been using Turkish money for awhile - same thing.
Haha That's smart....
If I get a few of those, maybe I can become a billionaire.
Believe it or not, folks, there is now a $1,000,000,000 (1 Billion Dollar) note in Zimbabwean circulation!!!!! Hyper-inflation coupled with political thug.
[quote]
On 2008-05-04 12:45, iugefu wrote:
If you all wanted to do a GENUINE $1,000,000 bill switch...you can!
Go to your foreign exchange and simply get some of these bills...they are genuine as I said...from Zimbabwe!...where inflation runs at 16,000 %, not kiddin'.
The million dollar note will set you back about $0.20 so can be given away. Have fun.
[/quote]
Is it the same size as US bills?
No, it's bigger. You have to be careful where you do this, and what reactions you are looking for.

I have performed this effect a few times after I was booked for a charity auction concerning the violence in South Africa. It was a piece tailored to highlight the atrocities in Zimbabwe. When you perform this for people, they do not talk about the amazing change you just performed. It immediately drags the conversation towards Zimbabwe. Great at a charity auction, not so good if you are trying to set a lighthearted mood in your restaurant job. Do be careful where you do this, and please be aware how sensitive people can be about the issue.

On a side note, there's is actually a 50 billion note and soon to be a 100 billion dollar bill. This is the equivalent to approximately $4000.
The 100 billion dollar note is now a reality.
The 250 million dollar note, courtesy of Wikipedia:

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/250m-zwd.jpg[/img]

Act quickly: apparently the government is soon to [url=http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ce83725e-5c3d-11dd-9e99-000077b07658.html]lop three to six zeroes off of the currency.[/url]
I can see some great uses for these. Thanks for the tip.
Everybody like bills!

Paulo
I just picked up a stack of ten Zimbabwean million dollar bills for something like 15 bucks. This was an extraordinary idea! Thanks. If you wanted to, you could grab lesser bills and even use them as 'give-outs' in your shows. Thanks, iugefu!
Do we really consider this a sensitive, appropriate trick?
I think its totally unnecessary. Only magicians know what the move is called, so it's more for your own enjoyment than the spectator's. And unless you develop really good scripting, I'm not sure why you would want to use Zimbabwean money over anther currency on account of their situation. Plus, you never know how someone will react to it, no matter what the script.
As one who thinks "political correctness" has run wild and the idea of not doing something for fear of offending someone has reached beyond the ridiculous stage, I say thank you for the idea of using these large denomination bills that can be gotten for cheap. I love it!

Mark. :thumbsup:
I don't think you really quite understand the issue, Mark. I agree Political Correctness has gone mad, but this occurs as people take offence on others behalf on something that really should not be considered sensitive.

However, Zimbabwe is a political hot potato, and it is sensitive. I HAVE PERFORMED THIS EFFECT. You will not get the reaction I believe you are searching for. People are going to discuss the Bill, then Zimbabwe, and it will create a heavy atmosphere among the politically aware in your audience, as they will simply wish to discuss it. They may not be offended, but your job may be made harder. And people still have a tendency to get offended on other people's behalf, and when you run into these people you may find trouble.

Wait a few months, and this problem will hopefully solve itself.
:thumbsup:

Mark.
If I found someone in the U.S. that could find Zimbabwe on a map, let alone know what it is and what's going on there, I'd fall off my chair.
Chris, you'd be surprised how many kids these days are aware of what's going on in other countries, at least the ones where there is "bad stuff" going on. Young people are trying to be more globally aware these days, or maybe people are just so oversensitive these days, they care about everything...who knows? I personally don't care who I upset, but I'd rather work smarter, not harder.
People are WAY TOO oversensitive about almost anything. I once was performing for a table and reached for my glasses and I said, "I'm blind without these."

Yep, the lady said that wasn't funny because her sister was blind. I should have taken a fork and blinded her.

It is good to work smarter. But these days, almost anything you say can offend someone.
[quote]
On 2008-08-16 15:47, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
People are WAY TOO oversensitive about almost anything. I once was performing for a table and reached for my glasses and I said, "I'm blind without these."

Yep, the lady said that wasn't funny because her sister was blind. I should have taken a fork and blinded her.

It is good to work smarter. But these days, almost anything you say can offend someone.
[/quote]

Depending on how bad your vision is, you may have been right! I believe extremely poor vision can mean legal blindness, even if you can still see and make things out.

Just a thought,
Anton
I like the idea.
I really don't think political correctness should be brought into this trick. I fail to see how it is even relevant...I mean, using overly inflated money isn't harmful to Zimbabwe in any way, shape or form. Unless, of course, there is some new kind of "-ism" (racism, sexism, etc.) revolving around the taking advantage of one's, for lack of a better word, cruddy currency.
It's a highly topical issue, and an interesting item. You produce a billion dollar, and people will be more interested in the note than the trick. That's just how it is.

SOME people may see this rather frivolous piece of magic as taking advantage of a terrible situation.

Am I offended by this? NO! Am I offended on other peoples behalf? NO. But SOME people are, and these SOME people may be hiring me. Why take the risk?
Wow, 2.2 million per cent inflation. I can't come up with something clever for that...
Wow, how wide is their adding machine paper???????????????
I think it is good way to present current events information in a sensitive way. The world needs to know that our economy isn't a wreck (only bad).
[quote]
On 2008-09-03 12:39, Pete Biro wrote:
Wow, how wide is their adding machine paper???????????????
[/quote]

Pete, you're dating yourself!!!
They are now called Calculators! LOL. I remember the adding machines that had 100 keys and weighed about 30 pounds!
Believe it or not, Ladies and Gentlemaen, Zimbabwe now has a
100 TRILLION dollar note....anyone for a bill switch?.could call it "Hyperperinflation" by Mad Bob