(Close Window)
Topic: Where to get the best silks?
What silk companies make the best? How do I find them? I guess it might be a personal preference. Just wonder who you guys think the best is!

Cheers. :bubbly: Leon!
Hi Leon:

There are two companies that are considered to be the best. They are Silk King Studios and P&A Silks. There are many companies that sell silks, but these two have the best quality. Be prepared to pay to pay more— but the quality of silk of both companies is superb.

Here are their website addresses:

http://www.pasilks.com
http://www.silkkingmagic.com

Hope this helps you.

Ron Reid
Try Duane Laflin of Laflin Magic.

His web site is http://www.laflinmagic.com
It is impossible to go wrong with any of those companies that were mentioned. I have an effect or silk from almost all of them, and I am very happy.

Seee.... -----> :D
P&A Silks are a heavier grade and the Silk King (Rice) silks are a lighter weight. Both are excellent quality but you may need to consider these options depending on what kind of trick you'll be using them for.
If you are looking for special handpainted designs, tie dyes, or solid colors, I make my own silks. They are pure China silk, double turned and hemmed. I think I am the only person making 6 mm as standard. I also make 8 mm. Dale Salwak has been using my silks in his fountain and David Seebach has had me do several handpainted projects for him. My website has more info.

Rice & P&A are beautiful printed art silks. P&A is a little heavier if you can use it.
If you go less than 6 mm, (a lot of the imported stuff is 5mm), it tends to tear and wear out much too fast. Contact me if I can help further.
Richard
Thanks everyone for your help. :bubbly:

Leon
Leon,
The man who makes the best silks is named William Brewe. He has a shop in Cincinnati Ohio. He made silks and feather flowers for Blackstone Jr. and many other top pros of today. He has no web site but if you want more info about his silks or how to contact him just PM me.
Does anyone know if Mark Trimble is still around and still making Silk Effects? His Alphabet Silks for making up banners were well made, and a terrific idea. I also have his Miniature Version of Duke's Dye Version and would like to get a replacement. Anyone have one of these they would like to part with?
Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Pegani in Denmark has great silks of java silk he is the guy responsible for the TT streamers. You can find them on http://www.Pegani.dk
Although this is an older thread, I just joined the Café.

I just want to draw your attention to the Richard Hughes post up earlier in the thread.

If you are looking for tie-dye silks or for solid colour silks, he is your man.

I have several of his 18" silks, a tie-dyed streamer (part of bamboo surprise), and also one of his 6'x6' silks. Most of the silks I have from him are the 8 momme ones.

They are gorgeous and durable.

Also, his bouquets are gorgeous. I have purchased inexpensive bouquets, medium priced bouquets, and also his. They are easily worth the price he asks, for both his silks and flowers.

The Gr8 DonaldD. :)
Hi!

Had to chime in, here...my preference? Silk King Studios...I just prefer items with the Rice name on them...back in the day, they were the highlight of my magic!

P & A are fine as well, I just prefer Rice's...

Doug
Aside from the actual quality of the material, I would also suggest selecting a supplier who will be available to you a long time. Color matching becomes important as your inventory grows and you change your act. In the process of routining your act, if there is no shortage of matching sizes and colors, you will find your options really multiply. It wasn't really yesterday, but I can remember when the number of a particular color or size silks I owned limited the options in my act. It can still determine how many times a day I can do a given silk routine without a "clean up".

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I just received my package from Silk King Studios...

Along with Rice's Encycl. Vol 3, I requested a 12" silk I saw on their website...and wow! The Symphony Silk is gorgeous...I wanted to see if they still have the same quality they used to, and lo and behold...no question. Colors are vivid from both sides, you can't readily tell one side from the other...not so with other silk suppliers I've dealt with in the past...

They're expensive...I'm going to be into the HUNDREDS of dollars, by the time all the needed items have been acquired...but, as the old saying goes, "ya gets what ya pays for..."

There is still some research to be done on the subject, and as a performer of silk magic, I am very selective as to who I deal with...been ripped off too many times. Silk King Studios is #1 with me...

:dance:

Doug
Doug,

If Harold Rice had decided to run for president, he needed you for campaign manager. He was an artist and the good work shows. I own my share of them and want more.

However, last week at SCAM a lecturer brought out a good point about the plain P&A silks. They are more opaque. I find that true also. That is a benefit when concealing a load and working with poor lighting (especially when there is back lighting).

It comes with a disadvantage too. The more dense they are the heavier they are and the more space it takes in a load chamber. That’s why I keep plenty of both and store them separately so I can tell them apart before I even pick them up. Both are great products.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Thanks, Bob

That's very helpful...can you tell me if the P & A silks have the Seracin (silk glue) removed from them as well? That's the reason the SKS Rice silks still look good after forty (!) years...and the vivid colors...man...if I had my old job back...

I'll check into those P & A's...very grateful!

Doug
Doug,

You have exceeded my polygon of technical feasibility. I don't know! My gut feeling is that the printed silks have been prepared differently from the solids. But I know I don't know. How is that for certainty? Perhaps a definite maybe?

The solids do "feel" heavy and they really give good cover. In time, dove claws snag all my solid color silks anyway. The doves are not allowed near my printed silks.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
The P& A silks have the sercin removed from them. They are made with 8 momme silk where Rice's are usually 6 momme.
Of course, Rice's silks look as good as they did before. I understand that this is the remaining inventory from Mr. Rice. No new silks have been made in over 30 years.
Richard,

That's it??? No more? Holy ----, I had no idea...I had the impression Ruth Rice was back in the silk biz...wow, I'd better get a LOAN or something...she's got stuff I've wanted for more than 20 years!

Flag Blendo, Glas-Go, more and more silks...(solid, printed)...egads, we lost 'em once...I sure hope they stick around for a long time from here on...

Much sympathy and well wishes for the family of P&A Silks, as they are having a real tough time right now...I understand there has been a stroke...(I'd like to put in a prayer request)...

I'd better get on this...SKS is the "one & only" for me, as far as silks go...never had a P&A silk...would love to comment, but can't...

Doug
Rice silks are from Japan, he formed a relationship in Japan and his design silks are for this Japanese supplier.

I believe that is how Fun, Inc. that produces Royal Magic is now producing these Rice Designed silks. Rice's death cancelled the agreement.

His daughter posts on this site, maybe she would enlighten us as the story why a "Jobber" is producing Rice designs.

Bill
Hello:

I just bought the Fun. Inc. 6-foot "Rabbit in the Hat" silk, and it is every bit as good as the original SKS version. It seems to be 6 momme. Colors are very vivid - I am so tickled with this! The only thing missing is the SKS logo in the corner.
I love all my Rice/SKS silks (and I have plenty of 'em), and my P&A Blendo is awesome, especially considering the price I paid. I've heard recently that P&A (Peter White) isn't answering the phone (disconnected) and no more emails or website updates. This may be due to a stroke...I don't know for sure, but have heard/read that recently. Anybody confirm/deny this?

Steve Thomas
Steve,

He didn't have a stroke, but he did have a flare-up of Lyme disease. As I understand it, he's okay, but I don't know why his phone has been disconnected and his e-mail gets "bounced". I have been trying to find out how to get in touch with him (see post further down), but so far I haven't had any luck.

We used to talk a couple of times a year, but not lately. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him, I would appreciate the information.

Amos McCormick
The Fun Inc. Rice repros are probably closer to a 5 momme. They are pretty transparent especially the 36' silks.

However, the price is right and if you back the silk up as I have done with another black 8 momme silk, it should hold up pretty good. I would reinforce the upper edge at least where you would always grab it to pull it out and display. A peice of ribbon on each side sandwiching the silk between would work. Also add a couple of loops or buttons ( different sizes for colors for right and left hands) to pull it out with.

I had to repair a Giant Rice silk flag that had literally had the weave pulled out of it by use. I had to try to match the dye color and even draw in a star to fix it. Believe, prevention is much better than repair.

I have also made suitable dragon zombie foulards using the Fun Inc. dragon by repainting the border and backing it up with a black silk.
There are still some original Rice silks available. Harold Rice's daughter Ruth can be reached here on The Magic Café. She is also one of the people who make the Magic Café financially possible.

Her name here on The Magic Café is Rice.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=2860

http://www.silkkingmagic.com

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Richard Hughes does great designer silk work . . . He made me some great Aladin silks recently, and Bob Sanders sells very high quality silks and silk trick props and for a great price. I bought Sanders' 20th Century silks very recently and was thrilled that his come with the silks sewn together, rather than making you prepare each time by refolding. Some excellent silk sellers on this very thread wary of excessive self-promotion, it seems. But I'll be glad to do it for them. Sanders in particular offers excellent quality for an unbeatable price. Ask him for his price list.
Thanks.

Richard
In my collection I think I have one of everyone's type and would rank them rather than staying with one supplier.

For Custom work - and actually getting it on time -- Richard Hughes has earned a reputation for being an honest broker with great product.

P&A often has had difficulty making deadlines on specials. I have a complete set of VHS tapes Peter made some years ago on silk folding, tricks, effects and care-- and while the production values were miserable the information is some of the best ever recorded outside the Rice Encyclopedia. For work from their stock line (current) I have found P&A to be a superior brand of workhorse standing up to the rigors of multiple performances without fading, catches, rips or tears. The luxury of the heavier but still compressible silk just (to me) feels more professional and seems to hang better in light. Their props for silk use (Mirror tube for 6 footers, astro production, and huge brass genii tube are prized parts of my collection. Very expensive and worth every penny!

I have also acquired a number of both new and old SKS pieces and for stock magic effects they have no peer. Many of their older patterns are coming (deservedly) back into vogue and are affordable....but, to me are too widely available to allow me to be unique in my markets.

Some years ago I visited Mark Trimble at his studio -- and acquired a wonderful custom 30" dragon silk I value because it is unique. Trimble had specialized in gimmicked silk (packaged) tricks and showed me how much work was involved. If he has quit -- I can understand why, but I found his package stuff easy to use right out of the box. It was lighter than the P&A but works well for parlor gigs.

Lauglin's silks for economy can be good -- but I did not find them sturdy enough for regular 2 a night performance. His instructional videos are good though.
Thanks Greg.

Richard
[quote]
On 2008-11-02 22:06, Mumblemore wrote:
Richard Hughes does great designer silk work . . . He made me some great Aladin silks recently, and Bob Sanders sells very high quality silks and silk trick props and for a great price. I bought Sanders' 20th Century silks very recently and was thrilled that his come with the silks sewn together, rather than making you prepare each time by refolding. Some excellent silk sellers on this very thread wary of excessive self-promotion, it seems. But I'll be glad to do it for them. Sanders in particular offers excellent quality for an unbeatable price. Ask him for his price list.
[/quote]

Todd,

I'm sorry for the delay. This post escaped me until now. I certainly agree. Richard Hughes is indeed an artist.

Thank you for the kind words about my products too. We try hard to keep the products up to the standards you pros demand as in the case of our 20th Century Silks with all three silks can be shown as square and are made to help avoid confusing top and bottom so there is no accidentally dumping of a load. (They are also available in 24" silks!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander