(Close Window)
Topic: Mix N Mingle (Shaun McCree): Opinions and/or Review Wanted
I have been looking at possibly buying this 2 DVD set by Shaun McCree for quite a while now. Though I have seen some rave reviews, and a couple of not so rave reviews (not many at all) , I haven't actually seen a review here at the Café.

That being said, if someone could point me in the right direction I would be greatly appreciative!
In two words Chappo-Get Them.

You will not be dissapointed.

Best

John Carey
Hi Chappo,

As the producer of this DVD set I'd like to say that this is one of the favorite projects that I've worked on. Shaun tips all of his working material and this is extensive. There really is no padding or filler, just material that he works week in week out.

You can see a trailer on our website.

Best,
Russ
@Rubadubdub: Thanks for that mate. Surprisingly enough, I have had ALOT 2 word responses like this. :) If they are that good, I certainly will consider the prospect.

@ Russ: Wow! Looks like I'm looking in the right place then eh? Thanks for the comment. I am certainly looking for (wait for it) 'utterly cmmercial material that you can use in the real world' (If I had a buck every time I've heard that). I have seen various trailers all round the web and they all look rather good!

I'll actually come back and post a review once I purchase the set. :D

Thanks again lads!
Here's an old thread:-

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=208526&forum=111

I bought the set based on the reviews from the thread. Great magic overall.
Thanks for the link baobow... Saves me some work and saves this thread :)
No wuckin furries Chappo.LOL
There is a lovely signature fusion type effect on Shauns dvds which is a winner.
Another favourite is a sandwich effect with a hypnosis theme which I just love performing.

Have fun mate.

Best

John
Could you tell me the name of the signature fusion effect and the sandwich effect please?

Thank you!

Carsten
Will get back to you with the names of these two effects Carsten.
Hi Carsten,

The names of the effects are 'Second Inkstain' and 'Hypnosis'.
Thanks for helping Carsten out DL.

These two items are winners

Best

John Carey
Just purchased this DVD and received it from Penguin magic today. There is already a link provided above, but here it is again anyway:

[quote]
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=208526&forum=111 [/quote]

I had originally promised a review, but as there is already in existence that does the set justice I will post my thoughts:

CHAPPO's THOUGHTS:

Brilliant. Becoming of a great entertainer and Bl**dy genius.

I had initial misconceptions about this DVD when I purchased Party Animal by Matthew Dowden. Whilst I enjoyed the DVD and it's effects therein, I find myself somewhat ambivalent about Dowden's presentational skills. Whether or not I am overly picky of professionals, that remains to be seen... But in this case there were a number of definitive shortcomings that either irked me or made me grimace thinking "Ouch. Well... I'll never do THAT!"

And then this little gem came to light. I had a little trepidation initially, as it's been made by the same production team as Party Animal, and the DVD claims to be "A virtual passport to a professional magic career". That in itself was a pretty sweeping statement and made me worry.

As you can see, I asked about a bit in the Café community and I received only glowing reports. Having made up my mind , I got it and received it today.

Shaun McCree is a real Diamond in the rough. He is an ultimately-unassuming, mild-tempered, glasses-wearing pommy... but when he gets a deck of cards in his hands... He turns into one of the most funniest, smoothest entertainers I have ever seen. Shaun's presentation really clicked with me right from the very first routine I watched and needless to say the effects themselves really are incredible. 'MYOPIA', in my opinion (and I'm not the first to say this) is worth the DVD alone. Absolute genius; highly visual and hysterical to watch. This man and his effects was, to me, a god send. Words cannot express how impressed I was with this DVD.

People will most certainly disagree with me on this, and that is fine. For some, Shaun's presentation style may be too quirky, others may not like the overall outcome of his routines. But in my opinion, this really is a gem. I would recommend this DVD to any intermediate or expert as it is suited to both.

Thanks to all who recommended this to me :) Your comments have led me to one of the best purchases I think I will ever make.

And to Mr. Shaun McCree... MARRY ME!!! :D
Treble top is another really nice piece on the dvds which involves 3 selections.
Check it out Chappo
[quote]
On 2008-05-27 08:12, rubadubdub wrote:
Treble top is another really nice piece on the dvds which involves 3 selections.
Check it out Chappo
[/quote]

Yeah, saw this as well and loved it. There is only one routine on the DVD that I think I'll skip over. All the rest a great!
Hi Chappo,

Glad that you finally took the plunge and bought the DVDs and best of all, enjoyed them. I've passed your post onto Shaun.

Best,
Russ
Hi all,
I have worked with Shaun on many occasions, and he really does perform all the stuff on the dvd for lay people. He kills where ever he goes (not literally)
Im not sure Shaun will marry you Chappo, But what a great review.
I really believe Russ has cornered the market, producing top quality dvds, with awsome magicians.
[quote]
On 2008-05-27 11:07, russ stevens wrote:
Hi Chappo,

Glad that you finally took the plunge and bought the DVDs and best of all, enjoyed them. I've passed your post onto Shaun.

Best,
Russ (rsvpmagic.com)
[/quote]

Thanks Russ!

Forgot to mention you as well! My hearty congratulations on such a great production. Also, if Shaun wishes say/add anything please feel free to pass this on to me.

Cheers!
Apologies for the double post, but I think this is very necassary to put down for everybody to see.

I was recently contacted by Mr. Matthew Dowden (featured magician of Party Animal) and made me think about my initial contrast I created between this DVD and Shaun McCrees Mix N Mingle. There are certainly some discrepancies that I NEED to expand on, otherwise it would not be fair to Matt... So here is the message I sent back to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really do appreciate the fact that you have dropped me a line, a much lesser magi; who has made rather denigrating comments on one of your releases. Please let me expand:

1. Do not get me wrong... I LOVED Party Animal. The contents and routines are (as you said) fantastically commercial (Big cheesy grin :) ) and your handlings are nothing short of pure suaveness. The DVD was worth every penny.

2. The only short coming for me were some sporadic things that just made me go "Ooo... Ouchies." I have come from a corporate entertainment background in the area of roving acting/corporate impersonation (no comments please :) ) That being said, this performance approach has had a great effect on the way I prefer to present my magic. I guess that this is just debatable point of professional opinion where everybody will have a differing argument. However, I am certainly not one to criticise you. You're a professional, and as for what you're doing... well... It's certainly working for you. I aint exactly got that many DVD's of mine in circulation. :D

I will actually post this comment in the thread where I talked about P.A. I would also be greatly appreciative if you could post a message/PM me back to let me know if you have received this.

Thanks again mate!

Chappo
-------------------------------------------

Comments welcomed.
Hi there,

Thanks for that Chappo.

I would like to point out that I wasn't offended in any way by what Chappo said because he was kind enough to point out to me that he enjoyed Party Animal and thought the content was great and, to me, that is all I hope for when people buy it. I am definitely cheesy, and my style might not be for everyone, but there again, if we were all the same, things would get very boring very quickly.

Anyway, thanks again, and keep the comments coming! :) All the best to everyone.

Matthew
Very mature answer Matthew. Well done.
I stummbled on this thread and I have to say when I read the comments about "Party Animal", I got completely turned off. I think Matthew Dowden is one the most creative, charismatic and engaging performers I've seen in years.

I was going to go into a high gear rant and am glad I kept reading as I saw that Matthew had contacted the poster.
[quote]
On 2008-06-01 17:46, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I stummbled on this thread and I have to say when I read the comments about "Party Animal", I got completely turned off. I think Matthew Dowden is one the most creative, charismatic and engaging performers I've seen in years.

I was going to go into a high gear rant and am glad I kept reading as I saw that Matthew had contacted the poster.
[/quote]

Like I said, I only took a different stand point on one element of the DVD. Goodness, Mr. Dowden certainly is everything that you have said. It's just a matter of opinion. I am glad that he contacted me, as it made me review my initial comment.
Good man Chappo! Sometimes in these things you end up making a great friend. I'm sure you and Matthew are great mates by now.

I had a fellow call me an idiot onece in the Café. We exchanged PM's and became good friends.

Unfortunately, he got to know me better and relaized I was in fact a real idiot and he stopped talking to me.
Hi,
I got Mix 'n' mingle a while back (Blackpool), watched it, and loved 'Imagination' and 'Coldcut Transpo' (I also wasn't 100% accurate with catching my hotshot cut!). Since then I've revisited it, and there's just so much strong stuff on here.. I'm now using a 'Myopia' variant, and working on the coins across hole effect.
Compared to many of the Café members I'm undoubtedly not the most experienced, but I do think that this material is really practical for the real world, and as I've said in other threads: Buy it, you won't be sorry!
PS - No I'm not Russ Stevens & Shaun Mcree's love child (although I am available to review demos of future releases!!)
Hi Puggo,

Many thanks for your comments and I'm really glad that you enjoyed the DVDs. I think that Shaun has been slightly overlooked by some people, as nearly everyone that has bought this has nothing but good things to say about the project.

When we started to produce our DVDs, my one aim was to shoot magicians performing in real conditions, so that you the buyer can see just how strong the material plays. It gets boring watching someone doing material in a studio where the audience are more controlled. Call me cynical, but the only reason why people do that is because sometimes the material or even the performers themselves wouldn't stand up to "live" situations. Personally I think that's why some of the projects like Party Animal, Corporate Close-Up and Mix N' Mingle work so well. Our most recent project that is about to be released on the 14th July is "Menu of Miracles" with James Prince and this follows the same lines, in that we shot him on just one night performing at a restaurant doing his working material. Explanations were even shot afterwards upstairs, which made for a long evening, but at the end of the day I think that the viewer will get a real idea of just how well the effects play.

Best,
Russ
"Imagination" is a great effect!
Hi very interested in buying this set of DVDS. Could you tell me if all the sleights are shown and explained on this set?

Many thanks.
[quote]
On 2010-09-28 19:16, Trin wrote:
Hi very interested in buying this set of DVDS. Could you tell me if all the sleights are shown and explained on this set?

Many thanks.
[/quote]

From what I remember, most if not all the sleights are explained clearly - but not in Ammar 'super practice' levels of details.
More importantly, the routines and sleights are not knuckle busting, but aimed at the practical worker.
This is a DVD set that has really stood the test of time, with clear instruction and a variety of material (nearly all from a shuffled deck as well).

Charlie
Highly recommended.

John
Thanks Guys I bought the set from RSVP a few days ago and yes what a great set of DVDs!!