(Close Window)
Topic: The Cross by Dean Dill
http://deandill.com/cross.html
Yup, that's what it looks like. Nice effect. No explanation is necessary (to quote Dunninger).

Everyone should go see Dean perform this effect live at his shop in Glendale California. In fact, go see him perform ALL his effects. Just ask, he'll do it. Every Wednesday is 'magician hangout day' there. Dean is always willing to perform magic for you when you stop by. He's even made some of my hair disappear on one occasion! No fooling! (to quote Toby Travis).
Thanks Joe!
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (May 22, 2008 11:34PM)
Will this trick be available at the FCM Convention in July? Or am I better to order it to come via air-mail?
I thought this was a Duane Laflin effect. At least I bought one from him several years ago at a lecture. I threw the instructions away as I just wanted the sponge cross for a vampire sponge ball routine I was developing. So perhaps it was a Dean Dill effect that he was just carrying at the time. Or is Duane's a different effect?
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (May 23, 2008 05:24AM)
Payne,

They still sell their trick on the Lock Family website at http://www.lockfamilymagic.com/public/SearchPublic.php?searchTerm=cross

"Sponge Cross and Cubes $6.00
Includes one 6" Cross and four cubes. Can be used in "close-up" or "walk around" situations. It also will be effective from a small platform. Routine by Duane Laflin included. "

So that's $9 cheaper.
Hey Joe, can he make hair reappear?(chuckle) :)
[quote]
On 2008-05-23 01:00, Payne wrote:
I thought this was a Duane Laflin effect.
[/quote]

I was under the same impression. Perhaps the routine is Laflin's? I don't know.

RevJohn
I believe the routine only(Gospel routine) is Laflin's
I've never met Dean and a lot of my hair has vanished...he must be good.
The props of the two tricks are pretty much the same, however it is the routines that are different.

Dean Dillís routine is worked like the multiplying balls, a sponge is pulled from the air and displayed in your other hand. The effect is repeated until you have 4 sponges and you then visibly transform the four small sponges into the larger cross.

Duane Laflinís routine is more of a straight sponge ball routine in which three loose balls transforms into a single cross in the spectators hand.
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (Jun 3, 2008 08:49PM)
Thanks for that info Ron.

Which one would you buy?
Just from the description, and from what I know about Duane's routine (have not read Dean's), and would say go the Dean Dill route.

While I like Duane's thinking, the effect is less than magical. At least that is what I have found. And from the description alone, Dean's seems to be containing the missing element.

RevJohn
[quote]
On 2008-06-03 21:49, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
Thanks for that info Ron.

Which one would you buy?
[/quote]

I own Dean's
Message: Posted by: brownsentertainment (Aug 12, 2008 05:26PM)
Not sure which one I would want.