(Close Window)
Topic: What ever happened to David Blaine?
I haven't heard much from him in a while. Anyone know what he's up to these days?
He just set a world record breath hold on Oprah in the last week or so.
[quote]
On 2008-05-12 23:08, RobertBloor wrote:
He just set a world record breath hold on Oprah in the last week or so.
[/quote]

17 minutes 4 seconds I believe it was.
Is he doing any magic anymore? Or just extreme stunts? I really liked Blaine's Magic....
He said he wants to do a live magic show - something he has been working on for 15 years.

-JoeJoe
That would be pretty sweet!
His next ABC special is supposed to be airing sometime in September. Evidently he's going to try to beat the record for staying awake. About 11.5 days (1 million seconds). I'd imagine we'll see some magic in there as well, similar to his previous specials. Part stunt coverage, part magic footage.
He crazy. I heard the last person who set the sleep deprivation record went insane and has been in a mental institution ever since, but that's just what I heard from a friend and I don't know how exact that is.
Well... thanks for sharing!
[quote]
On 2008-05-14 12:16, Magic Phenom wrote:
He crazy. I heard the last person who set the sleep deprivation record went insane and has been in a mental institution ever since, but that's just what I heard from a friend and I don't know how exact that is.
[/quote]

I do believe that is an urban legend ... people say radio DJ Peter Tripp went insane when he made his attempt in 1959, and some even say he dropped dead after so many days. There truth is, he died of a stoke at age 73 and suffered no ill effects from breaking the world record for sleep deprivation. My belief is that because he did this as a radio DJ, people got the impression he was insane and it stuck.

Randy Gardner went on to beat his record in 1964 - he was 17 and did it to prove you don't go insane from sleep deprivation, the rumor many people had been spreading since Tripp's attempt.

Tony Wright then went on to beat Gardner's record, but is not accepted by Guinness record book as they don't accept records for sleep deprivation due to the health risks.

I do hope Blaine stops hyping the insane thingie, it really makes him look foolish spreading urban legends.

-JoeJoe
[quote]
On 2008-05-14 15:52, JoeJoe wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I do believe that is an urban legend ... people say radio DJ Peter Tripp went insane when he made his attempt in 1959, and some even say he dropped dead after so many days. There truth is, he died of a stoke at age 73 and suffered no ill effects from breaking the world record for sleep deprivation. My belief is that because he did this as a radio DJ, people got the impression he was insane and it stuck.
[/quote]

I think I remember an article about that attempt. He did in fact have problems toward the end of the attempt (he mentioned seeing Dracula peering out at him from behind the wall clock) but nothing lasting.
17 minutes 4.4 seconds ..... I think the lack of oxygen to the brain may have something to do with his desire to do this next stunt.
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (May 21, 2008 12:03PM)
Maybe Silly Billy has seen him off

watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cU0ivVTwo
I think his biggest challenge will be trying to keep his audience awake. I enjoyed his magic but am no fan of his stunts. I guess I should be happy for him that he seems to be able to make a living doing it; but for now, I regret to say that I plan to change the channel.

Dan.
Perhaps he does stunts because his magic tricks are rather poor. I never really liked how he tried to creep everyone out in his performances. Heck, even before doing a trick he creeps people out. He's trying to make his 15 minutes last longer and longer and it's pathetic.
Well he is going to be doing another special and stunt soon and like him or hate him, thanks to him I know a lot of guys on here have been able to make a better living!
I applaud anyone who can inspire and entertain others. There are so few of us to begin with. Anyone who enhances the public appreciation of magic in today's overly competitive market for entertainment is a gift. Even if I personally don't enjoy their act.

Dan.
On a recent ITricks podcast they interviewed Danny Garcia and he said that David is going to be having a lot more magic in his next special than he has in his previous. Danny also said that Blaine asked him to be one of his consultants.
He makes a mint doing corporate type events.
[quote]
On 2008-05-14 15:52, JoeJoe wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Randy Gardner went on to beat his record in 1964 - he was 17 and did it to prove you don't go insane from sleep deprivation, the rumor many people had been spreading since Tripp's attempt.

Tony Wright then went on to beat Gardner's record, but is not accepted by Guinness record book as they don't accept records for sleep deprivation due to the health risks.

I do hope Blaine stops hyping the insane thingie, it really makes him look foolish spreading urban legends.

-JoeJoe
[/quote]

I'm not sure their name, but I'm pretty sure someone made an attempt here in the UK last year and broke the recrod. But Guiness didn't let it in because it's a very dangerous record to break aparrently and can cause long lasting damage.
Guiness don;t count becuase they know that people will try and top it.
[quote]
On 2008-05-17 11:42, ed rhodes wrote:

I think I remember an article about that attempt. He did in fact have problems toward the end of the attempt (he mentioned seeing Dracula peering out at him from behind the wall clock) but nothing lasting.
[/quote]

If I really thought Dracula was looking around something at me, I wouldn't sleep for days more. Yikes!
[quote]
On 2008-05-13 00:10, Mercury52 wrote:
His next ABC special is supposed to be airing sometime in September. Evidently he's going to try to beat the record for staying awake. About 11.5 days (1 million seconds). I'd imagine we'll see some magic in there as well, similar to his previous specials. Part stunt coverage, part magic footage.
[/quote]
Maybe he could use the time to improve his closeup.
[quote]
On 2008-05-23 09:08, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
I applaud anyone who can inspire and entertain others. There are so few of us to begin with. Anyone who enhances the public appreciation of magic in today's overly competitive market for entertainment is a gift. Even if I personally don't enjoy their act.

Dan.
[/quote]

I agree 100% well said...