(Close Window)
Topic: Ickle Pickle mini cup specs
Can anyone provide me with the specs for the Ickle Pickle aluminum mini cups?

I need the height and mouth diameter, the diameter of the balls, and the ball capacity of the cup's attic. Thanks! SETH
Seth,
which set are you talking about, the single bead cup? IP had a couple.

Mini cups in the early days were designed for convenience and asthetics. There were never really designed for a 3 ball stack. The IP Minis are the same as the old Foxy cups from RNT in the 70's , or very close to them since Steve worked for RNT for awhile.

The cups will easily take a 1.25" ball as a final load. As to ball size, IP issued Pom Poms with all their mini cups with the exception of the combo set. The balls for the combo sets were 3/8" knit balls. The old Foxy cups from RNT back in the day issued poms poms as well but for the combo set they had a twisted steel wire in the pom pom as a gaff.

The actual specs for the IP mini aluminums, no combo are as follows, there is some loss of atic and interior space with the combo set due to the gaff.

Height approx. 2 1/4"
Mouth ID 1 3/4"
Saddle Diameter 1"
Weight per cup is approx 1oz +/- a fraction of weight due to hand spinning and satin polishing

will easily hold 3 3/8" tight crochet balls on the saddle, loose knit or bulky crochet balls can stick if a 3 ball stack is done. You don't want this obviously so either using the poms poms they supply is the answer or picking up a set of good 3/8" balls would do the trick.

Steve includes a great basic routine, but to get the most out of the cups, I would splurge the 7.00 from Magic Inc. for Milt Kort's Kort Now in Session. It has his original miniature cups and balls routine.

For the money you are going to get a fine fine set of Mini cups. Don't let the price scare you, the only reason they are cheaper than most is Steve has done away with the mirror mirror polishing and clearcoating due to very high costs of labor and epa laws regarding the clearcoat. The satin finish is an 800 grit soft satin finish that is very easily mantained.

A lot of people overlook IP because of some bad press and the satin finish. But overall Steve makes cups, chop cups and other props that are very performance worthy and durable.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Jake
Jake, thanks very much for the detailed info and specs! You are correct, it is the single bead style of IP cup that I was looking at.

The reason for my question was that I presently demo and sell the Marvin's Magic plastic C & B sets, which can take one 1" pom-pom (with a little difficulty) in the attic, and a standard alkaline "D" battery as a final load. The battery is a great final load because it is so incongruous, so heavy and so obviously solid (not compressible). After a failed (pretended) ball penetration, I lift the stack to reveal the battery and say, "Oh I see why it didn't work -- the battery is dead!" This always gets a great reaction (I believe Al Cohen had the original idea and used a "C" battery as a final gag load with the Coin Tube).

Anyway, the Marvin's Magic cups are patterned after the old-style Bosco cups, which are taller than they are wide (unlike the present Paul Fox-type style, where the cups are almost as wide as they are tall). That older design allows you to load a "D" battery easily, and the shape of the cup keeps the battery upright in the cup as it's placed on the table. This way, when the stack is lifted, the battery is always upright and makes a very good visual show. You can then knock the battery on its side to silently demonstrate its solidity and weight.

So to make a long story short, I was looking for a set of metal cups about the same size and dimensions as the MM plastic cups, so that I could do the battery load with a metal set. When I get home, I'll take your dimensions and see how they compare. Thanks again for the info. SETH
Well, it turns out that the IP cups would be a little too small for my purpose. I need something that's 2-3/4 high, 2" mouth and a 1-5/8" diameter saddle.

Good try, but no cigar, as they say! SETH
I'll check around for you and see if anyone has this size. You might want to contact Steve at Ickle Pickle. He has most of his original tooling, even from cups that are discontinued, on a good day you may be able to get him to have a set spun out for you.

In the mean time I'll check some other cups that I have left in my collection to see if anything fits what you are looking for. You may want to try a few places like a rest. supply store, you could always maybe find something that would work for you and just need a bead rolled into it which I could do for you if you find something that will work for you.

Jake
OK, thanks, I do appreciate it. It's not a big priority, but something that I would like to get done someday. SETH
When I get back to the States, I'll check, too.