(Close Window)
Topic: Predictionary - my review
Any word can be named... a word locked in there mind... the word is found circled... the only word circled... this is Predictionary.

Product: Predictionary

Creators/performers: Frank Valesco and Devin Knight (with additions from various other performers)

Price: 40 dollars give or take, approx 20 quid

Available: I think it's possible to get directly from the creators but http://www.hocus-pocus.com carries it

What you get: The Predictionary manuscript plus gimmicks

What is Predictionary?

This is a utility gimmick with accompanying routines, that will allow for any chosen or named word to be found circled within a book/dictionary/magazine etc, and for that word to truly be the only word marked.
The main routines focus on the use of a dictionary, but there are many uses for this that I'm sure many will discover.

The routines:

Along with everything needed to be able to perform this, and the basic workings and handling for the gimmick etc, there are a number of routines from various performers included.
You get Frank Velasco's original routine using this principle, Devin Knights work on this, a routine from Jeff Pierce, a routine by Michael Sibbernsen, and a contribution from Bob Klase.

There is a lot of depth to everything put into this prouct, with everything gone over to the nth degree, and you'll learn of some principles that you will get a lot out of in other things also, like Devins work on the 'Scorpio Principle'.

The routines are very well thought through, and with the wealth of information given, on top of the indepth look at the principle, you'll feel the confidence to actually put this to use and use it to it's fullest.

The Gimmick:

Ha ha the gimmick is very clever and allows for some impossible looking effects, and allows for the dictionary/book to be borrowed.
It's so easy to use also, and is very very deceptive.
There have been similar principles as this used before, but ive not seen it used in this way and with the combination of everything together.
Very cool.

Explanations/teaching:

Very well written and explained, and there really is a lot of depth to the instructions.
The manuscript also has multiple pictures to help the learning process, and these are a very welcome addition as I feel for this pics are a must.

Difficulty:

Well this is a bit hard to say really, I mean it's not hard by any means, but a lot of this will be presentation and feeling completely confident in it's workings.
There is nothing that anyone willing to learn couldn't easily grasp, and so I'm going to say mechanics wise it's very simple and easy.

Some additional info so that I will hopefully manage to answer any questions:

There is a lot more that can be done with this than the routines included.

Just letting you know that you'll require 2 dictionarys for this... both normal and can be borrowed. If borrowed then some clean-up is needed on the dictionary, though it's not a must, but that may be risky depending on the type of participant.
2 dictionarys are not needed to use this principle.

There is a version where they never name or write down one of there thought of words (2 are in play), and you manage to still have predicted this.

Everything looks very clean and direct, and all looks fair and open.

No stooges instant or otherwise, no pre-show, no forces, no dual-reality.

Though this can be performed in resteraunts etc, I'd say that the routines included are more for the stage and that type of performing situation. However it's very easy to come up with many effects/routines utilising the gimmick that will work in whatever performing situation you are in.
Also the routines included could be easily adapted to other performance environments.

My thoughts:

I think the principle is great as it allows for some fantastic effects, and with a good presentation this will come across as absolutely impossible.
I don't use the routines within as they are, and have modified the gimmick to suit me, but I feel I can recommend this as it has had so much work put into it and the result is truly a fantastic.

Pros:

Very well written instructions and very indepth.
Very simple and clever gimmick that has a lot of potential.
Great routines included.
Books can be borrowed.
You get a lot of gimmicks with the product.

Cons:

Though possible to let them have the dictionary if it's not there's... there is always the risk of them finding something... though saying that, devin does cover a way that allows for them to keep them wih no risk, but I'm not sure that's suitable for everyone, more for VIP's etc.

Overall:

A very nice and well put together product with a gimmick/principle that has so many applications.
Even if you won't use the routines included, though they are very good, you'll have fun thinking up your own ways of utilising the gimmick.

I am very happy with this and feel that Frank and Devin have done a fantastic job on this one... recommended.
It is good!

I'm working on a time travel / alter reality routine where as part of the action in the end, an encylopedia has an entry marked at the beginning and given to a spec to hold ... but after the Borges Effect, the entry is no longer marked... and it has a new entry with a mark based on a word chosen by a spec :)

Hehehe. It is fun!
[quote]
On 2008-05-23 18:18, Y2John wrote:
There is a lot of depth to everything put into this prouct, with everything gone over to the nth degree
[/quote]

This is a hallmark of Devin's products. I'm just finishing his Blindfold Drive book, and I have a lot of Devin's other products as well. He leaves NO details out.

--Josh
Y2John

Thanks for your thorough review of Predictionary...

Any others that have purchased Predictionary, please feel free to write a review as well. Devin and I want your feedback on this product so we can improve our products to you in the future.

Y2John is correct in stating there are no stooges instant or otherwise, no pre-show, no forces, no dual-reality at all. This is as clean as clean can get!

As Josho said, Devin leaves nothing out and the instructions are very detailed and concise. This item is easily worth the $$ just from the tips from the late Al Mann and other tips that Devin has performed over the years and now incorporated it into using the Predictionary gimmick.

This gimmick has endless uses and will open your imagination in many ways.

This product is directly available from Devin at http://www.illusionconcepts.com or Hocus Pocus at http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1

Magically,
Frank Velasco
I was thinking of using silver bullet gimmick to add another layer of deception to this routine.

They select a page without you looking. You use silver bullet to mark their page so you can later reveal the page they worked from without any questions asked!

Paul h.
Paul,
Brilliant idea. I could see how this would be very strong. They look up a word and you bookmark the page before they tell you the word. Excellent.

Devin
Wow Paul, that is a brilliant idea... ha ha excellent, thanks for sharing.
[quote]
On 2008-05-24 07:33, Paul h. wrote:
I was thinking of using silver bullet gimmick to add another layer of deception to this routine.

They select a page without you looking. You use silver bullet to mark their page so you can later reveal the page they worked from without any questions asked!

Paul h.
[/quote]

Excellent! Great idea!! Thank you!

Y2John, Thank you for a nice & honest review.

:xmas:
I think it would be a cool idea if there was a supplement sent out to those who have purchased (and those who do from now on) which is solely focused on effects for this... perhaps with contributions from fellow Café' members etc.

Something to think about... thought I heard something like this may be in the pipeline, but is not then it's a good idea.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (May 28, 2008 12:57PM)
Frank Valasco's Predictionary is the type of effect I like. It is a utility gimmick with all kinds of applications. You are supplied everything you need (except the dictionary, which is ungimmicked) to do any of the effects in the very well written instructions. Devin Knight's ideas are outstanding and show how a working professional thinks. This is something you will use.

My advice ... get this.

Richard Osterlind
Richard

Thanks for taking the time to write a small review for Predictionary. I know that you are very busy but it means a lot to recommend our effect. I'm glad you liked it and hope you get some good use out of it as well.

Thanks
Frank
In every effect of Devin's I've purchased, he has been so thorough in his explanations. I !@#ume this is the case here as well. I'll be picking this up in the near future. Thanks for releasing such a wonderful effect Frank.
KMan, yes that is the case here too. Many people have told me they thought these were the best and most detailed directions I have written yet. I'm glad that Frank approached me to write the directions and to develop new ideas for this gimmick. I think most everyone will be very pleased with this.
KMan1564

Devin did a remarkable job writing the instructions for Predictionary. He has tipped some killer material in the instructions that alone are worth the asking price not including the gimmicks etc...

If you come up with some additional routines, could you please send them to Devin?

Thanks
Frank V.
Does this work in any language??

Sven
[quote]
On 2008-05-31 12:08, Sven Rygh wrote:
Does this work in any language??

Sven
[/quote]

I was curious about this as well. I did hear Sven that someone purchased one as a gift and flew overseas with it (forget what country) to give it to the person.

C
Sven and Candini

Predictionary works in any language. The gimmick can accomodate any langage and can be used with a small dictionary up to a large book like the yellow pages. You are given 36 gimmicks and a variety of sizes to accomodate different books that you want to use.

I have had comments from overseas customers that it works perfectly!!

Thanks
Frank Velasco
Frank

Thanks
Interesting!

Sven
Sven and others

Just to clarify....

There are NO refills to buy since the gimmicks are re-usable. The only reason we give you 36 gimmicks is you will have plenty to last you a lifetime!! They also come in different sizes for diffent books and routines etc..

Predctionary can be used in ANY language!

Just wanted to make this clear
Hi,
This product will be available also from Murphys ?
Starting sometime this week, Murphy's will have the item.
Thanks Frank....
Candini

No problem...Devin and I are here for our customers for any questions that you may have as long as those questions will NOT disclose or compromise the secret of Predictionary.

Thanks
Frank V.
Sounds good!
Fellow magicians

I have good news!!

Murphy's Magic Supplies now is distributing the highly acclaimed effect from Devin Knight and myself called Predictionary! Below is the link:

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Prediction-ary-by-Frank-Velasco-and-Devin-Knight-Trick?sc=7&category=-107

Please ask your local magic shops to start carrying Predictionary

Magically,
Frank Velasco
Frank & Devin,
Congratulations on your resent release. I am sure that this will be a big hit amongst the Magic Community. Well Done!
Any new reviews of this?
To all purchasers of Predictionary

I know that many have purchased Predictionary lately...let's hear some good and thorough reviews...I want to hear other opinions on the product....

Thanks
FV
Wow, thanks guys for your support of this project. The first batch sent to Murphy's sold out the first day! More have been made and are on route. Hocus Pocus called yesterday and said they needed more immediately. Predictionary may be hard to find at the moment due to the demand. However, rest assured more are being made today and will ship to Murphy's later today. Please be patient, I think you will find it worth the wait. Again thanks for the overwhelming support you guys and gals have shown. Frank and I really appreciate it.

Devin Knight
Looking forward to getting this!
Predictionary UPDATE!

As Devin reported, the first batch of Predictionary sent to Murphy's was sold out the first day! WOW....Unbelievable!!

Hocus Pocus also needed more stock immediately so Predictionary may be hard to find at the moment due to the HIGH demand of this product. Please be patient with us because Devin has sent another shipment to Murphy's today.

Please note that Predictionary includes all the gimmicks you need so there is NO need to buy any refills. The gimmicks are re-usable and will last a LONG time.

You get 36 gimmicks so you will have plenty to last you a lifetime!! We also give you an assortment of sizes so you can use different books and routines etc..

Predictionary can be used in ANY language so there is NO limit to your use of this ingenious gimmick and routine.

I really to to thank everyone for their support and patience. Enjoy performing Predictionary!

Best regards,
Frank V.
Hi Everyone

As of today, the first batch of Predictionary sent to Murphy's was sold out the first day. It is currently out of stock at Murphy's!

At this time, Predictionary may be hard to find at the moment due to the HIGH demand of this product so please be patient with us. Devin should be replenishing some stock by next week.

Jheff at http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com will be reviewing Predictionary. It will be reviewed on his site and newsletter within the next few days.

Please sign up for his newsletter because Jheff gives some of the most honest and accurate reviews in Magic and Mentalism.

The blurb on Jheff's site regarding the Predictionary review is:

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/New_Items.html

Thanks for taking the time to look and I'm looking forward to Jheff's review of Predicitonary.

Regards,
Frank V.
Hello,

We have sold out of the 3 times, it's a great item...Hocus Pocus has Predictionary is stock for immediated delivery.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Looking forward to some reviews then
Paul

Thanks for the update and that is great news that HP has Predictionary in stock again.

It has been a pleasure to have HP as the main dealer selling Predictionary.

HP is the best magic shop on planet Earth!

Regards,
Frank
Hi Everyone -

Jheff from http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com just emailed me to inform that his review of Predictionary is up on his site. He plans to send out the newsletter on Sunday. If you have never been to Jheff's site then you are missing something. You can sign up for his newsletter for free! His reviews are dead-on, honest, and thorough. His reviews are mostly of the mental flavor. His site is also a great place to buy products at discounted prices. Please visit his site often like I do!

Here is the link to Jheff's review and his comments are located at the bottom of the page (just keep scrolling down):

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/Predictionary.html

Thanks!
Frank V.
[quote]
On 2008-06-07 20:52, Slydini62 wrote:
Hi Everyone -

Jheff from http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com just emailed me to inform that his review of Predictionary is up on his site. He plans to send out the newsletter on Sunday. If you have never been to Jheff's site then you are missing something. You can sign up for his newsletter for free! His reviews are dead-on, honest, and thorough. His reviews are mostly of the mental flavor. His site is also a great place to buy products at discounted prices. Please visit his site often like I do!

Here is the link to Jheff's review and his comments are located at the bottom of the page (just keep scrolling down):

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/Predictionary.html

Thanks!
Frank V.
[/quote]

It's a great review! I'm sold...
Devin and Frank have both done an excellent job in their instructions for this effect. They have gone into a lot of detail covering all different aspects of the effect. I had a routine with a dictionary ages ago with a far more convoluted method and this makes it so much easier.
Jon

Thanks for your kind review regarding Predictionary.

It means a lot to come from a "worker" like you.

Thanks
Frank Velasco
Frank, you should be very proud. This is a great item that opens up lots of possibilities. Don't just think book test with this... how about a drawing dupe? You show a book of various drawings that people have made. You have someone secretly pick one and draw it as you first go into the book an circle a picture. they show their picture and you show you circled it before they even drew it.
Remote viewing: showing maps... someone picks a place to go... you've circled that place on the map.
All it takes is imagination to make this go into different places.

greg
Greg

I agree with you 100%...The Predictionary gimmick opens up TONS of possibilities.
It is only limited by your imagination!

Again, it means so much to me and Devin when we get great reviews from the real Pro "workers" of mentalism and magic like Greg Arce, Jheff Poncher, Richard Osterlind, Jon Allen, Michael Sibbernsen, Cody Fisher, Michael Weber and countless others that have responded privately as well.

Devin and I would like to compile and publish a manuscript of the many routines that you have developed using the Predictionary gimmick. So, please everyone email your routines to Devin so he can compile a manuscript that everyone can benefit from.

Again, thanks to everyone for all you support of Predictionary. Please email me or Devin if you have any routines or comments you would like to make. I will be at the IBM-SAM convention in July so I would love to meet everyone and share some good routines using this cool gimmick.

Magically,
Frank Velasco
Message: Posted by: MichaelSibbernsen (Jun 12, 2008 01:52AM)
Frank,

It was a pleasure to be a (small) part of the project. I was happy to see the final product; you and Devin did a good job putting the piece together.

As has been mentioned previously, the potential for the gimmick goes well beyond the pages of instructions. I imagine most purchasers will be unable to help themselves dream-up new wonderful applications.

For me, I like just having the gimmick as a sure-fire back-up in the rare occasion some of my standard material goes south. For a worker, this usage alone makes Predictionary worth a million.

Michael Sibbernsen
Michael

It was my pleasure to have you as part of this project. Your input was extremely invaluable in putting this product together. Thanks for all of your help!

Best regards,
Frank
There's got to be more reviews, where is everyone?
I would like to know that too. This has sold really well and continues to be a best seller for Hocus Pocus, yet we aren't getting reviews. JHEFF highly recommended this on his site. Is is possible the idea is so clever that you guys don't want other people knowing it? So everyone is keeping hush.

Devin
Ok Im all up for a love in but I've got a couple of gripes.
And I want it to be fair for those who haven't purchased and are considering this.
First of all though let me say that Pre-Dictionary is a great effect.
The Manuscript is worth at least the price alone and Devin's work on the 'Scorpio Principle' is superb.
My Main gripe though is with the description of the initial effect.
"a spectator calls out a word,the mentalist hands out a dictionary with a bookmark in it,and there on that page the word is found circled"
That is astonishing.Baffling beyond words.
However when I received the manuscript and read the initail effect- I was less than baffled and immediately knew the method.
There was something left out of the initial effect description i.e that you have to go into the dictionary after the spec names there word to 'bookmark the page".- and anyone who has read even one classic of mentalism could come up with a way to do this.
As the creators righty say, its not secret writing- but I reckon its a cousin...you do have to do something secretely...You could say it's secretly adding a mark (but very sneaky,clean and very clever)

The other gripe I have- is with effect where a word merely though of,never written down,never spoken is revealed.
It's a great effect but when I ordered I wasn't aware that 2 words would be in Play.
I already know a similar method Based on Bob Sommerfield's work where I also did away with the need to write down the second word(although in both cases I think the method is sometimes better concealed if the word is written down and never leaves the specs hands)
If I ordered the effect from any dealer today without checking the Café I wouldn't know that 2 words were in play.(most probably wont care)
After I read the hype and had oredered Pre-Dictionary I was out with a mate who asked me if I had been working on any new mentalism;
I said yeh sure..pretty soon I'll get you to just think of a word..you'll never tell me..i'll hand you a dictionary with a bookmark in it and you will open it up to find that word circled.
Sadly,while brilliant, it's not quite that direct.

Pre-Dictionary IS GREAT and worth the investment.
I'll give you my humble opinion. I got the effect. The method is not really a new idea but, is in this context. I did everything the instructions said. I practiced it and then performed it for my wife (the toughest critic). She saw it right off and figured it out. As a result, I probably won't use in public. I really don't feel it's practical, for me at least.

Hope this helps a little.
Putting your paws in the dictionary AFTER the spec's named there word does diminish it slightly.
Then you use the routine by Bob Klaus where the bookmarked dictionary is out of your hands BEFORE the word is revealed. There are enough routines in the manuscript to satisfy any performing style. IN my opinion Michael Sibberson's routine we included overcomes this in a very clean and clever way.

Devin
I was just talking about the initial effect,but your right, the Bob Klaus routine addresses this perfectly-
Well I oreded my shop to get this one and will pick it up on Saturday...I hope it will be great!
Eric

Devin and I think Predictionary is a great release due to the ingenious gimmick and Devin's explanation of his 'Scorpio Principle'. It is fully detailed in the manuscript. Devin's 'Scorpio Principle' is worth the money alone!!

Still looking for more reviews.

Thanks
Frank
[quote]
On 2008-06-19 09:29, magicbuilder wrote:
Then you use the routine by Bob Klaus[/quote]

Actually it's Bob Klase.
Xpilot

You are correct. His name is spelled Bob Klase. His version is very clever. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks
FV
Just wanted to jump in and say that Predictionary has given me great value for money. I have routined it into a longer "wordtest" set as an extra kicker. This has allowed me to remove heat from the method and also get all the work done well before revelation time. In this context it has delivered excellent reactions. I do agree with Ted to some extent that the first version in the instructions is a little simplistic and a smarty may be able to backtrack the method. However to be fair, if you apply the right kind of psychology to the routine this may be able to be overcome. IMHO, thinking out motivated actions and also time misdirection play a big part with this effect.

Thanks Frank & Devin for some great material.

Cheers,
Al
I am also combining Predictionary into other book tests.
The concept is simple but brilliant.
When it fools my wife and daughter the greatest critics, then it is a knock out piece of mentalism.

Salute,

Eric
Al and Papasmurf

Thanks for the kind words.....

I want to thank all of you who have purchased Predictionary, and I really appreciate the wonderful comments in the pm's, emails, and on the open forum from all of you.

Cheers,
Frank Velasco
Hey Guys

Stock is getting low at Murphy's so if you want to pick this up then I would do it now. It may be a while before Devin can re-stock Predictionary...

Thanks!!
FV
I have yet to try Predictionary out in a real performance, but I can only confirm what other say here.
This is ( at least to me) a new principle, and a great idea.

You can do the wonderful routines as described, create your own, or combine Predictionary with other routines, like implement it in a book test routine.
The gimmicks will last a long time, and the detailed explanatations are very easy to understand and follow.

I don't take up new effects very often, but Predictionary is one Iindeed will use, and it is highly recommended.

Sven
[quote]
On 2008-05-23 23:31, Slydini62 wrote:

Any others that have purchased Predictionary, please feel free to write a review as well. Devin and I want your feedback on this product so we can improve our products to you in the future.

Y2John is correct in stating there are no stooges instant or otherwise, no pre-show, no forces, no dual-reality at all. This is as clean as clean can get! ...

Magically,
Frank Velasco
[/quote]

After reading the first message in this thread I decided to check Predictionary
out further online.

If this new utility gimmick does what is claimed in vendors' descriptions of it then it simply must be one of the most valuable mentalism utlities ever developed. I don't see how the effects it's claimed to facilitate could be described by spectators as being anything less than astounding.
Mentathought

Just look at the reviews from the pros: Richard Osterlind, Greg Arce, Cody Fisher, Michael Sibbernsen, Jeff Poncher (JMOM) and others....

Devin would not have produced this effect if he didn't think this was an astounding effect. The possibilities are endless with this gimmick!

Thanks!
FV
Wow...I love this effect, just got it and ready to practice all night with it...
I own most of Devin Knights routines and I must say this is a killer one...
also look into tri-epc-delux another great one

thanks again MR. KNIGHT
Justin

Thanks for your post and enthusiam. This effect has been under the radar and has so much potential.

Email me or Devin if you have any questions!!

By the way, Predictionary was reviewed in November issue of Genii by David Regal. He gave it an excellent review.

Magically,
Frank Velasco
Thanks Frank, I really appriciate it, you guys made this one work
After reviewing the posts on here the only thing I would say is that if you have a way of getting the word without the spectator saying anything ie C****r T***r T*****t T*********r P**k w****t you will have a very clean and very powerful piece of mentalism. It doesn't get much more straight forward than that. All of this is mentioned in the instructions. There should be no reason why this can't seem as clean as what was mentioned in the ad copy.

Max
Yup! there are many ways to gather info from your spectator. keep it simple though, C****r T***r is direct and easy.

I work with the stealth assassin and I am stream lining an effect with both.
Justin

What an excellent idea to use the stealth assassin wallet with Predictionary. WOW!! You will be able to start your own religion soon!

Thanks
Frank
Lol. Thanks again for releasing this. I'm loving it.
It's basically a way of secretly making a circle appear around any given word in an unprepared book. Comes complete with several routines. Has a lot of potential.
Since getting Predictionary is getting hard to find and Devin Knight does not plan to manufacture the trick anymore, Devin and I are now offering Predictionary as a PDF download.

Visit the products page at my website for more information about Predictionary at:
http://www.fvmagicproductions.com/2801.html
Wouldn't this be impractical you can only use the dictionary in one performance and then you need a new dictionary to perform again?
Old thread but after reading the review and the other comments I ordered it and I am massively excited about this!
[quote]
On 2009-10-26 17:53, Rpascual wrote:
Wouldn't this be impractical you can only use the dictionary in one performance and then you need a new dictionary to perform again?
[/quote]

I'm surprised no one replied to this when it was first posted. But it's not impractical because you don't need a new dictionary to perform again.