(Close Window)
Topic: Using Postcards PROPERLY
Hi there,

I have done a fair share of postcard printing, however, I use them after shows primarily to give out, I feel they are better than business cards and you can autograph them.

As for my marketing, I have not got into using Postcards so much, I use a more direct method (cold calling etc) and would like to learn more. I guess the 3 markets I would like to mail to would be - schools (educational and fundraising shows), Private Parties and Corporate/Company Events...

Now when it comes to labelling these postcards, I am not exactly sure on how or who to direct them to. For Private Parties, its pretty straight forward, but for schools, do I put it to anybody`s attention.....or just to the school itself and hope it makes its way to the right person....same goes for Company Events....these are all issues I would like to hear more from someone with experience in mailing and experience in getting significant results.

Lastly, what exactly are you putting on it....is it double sided.....are you putting a promo picture on one side and a show/general description on the other....any info or even samples would be great, something to build on.

Thanks all!

Michael
Hi Michael
I put my picture on one side, my bio on the other side, with my name, phone number, email address, and web address on both sides.
On who to mail to for schools:

The BEST thing to do is to call the school and find out who's in charge of booking the !@#emblies and mailign TO THE PERSON!!!!

However, in the real world where I mail to hundreds even thousands of schools in my performing area (about 100 mile radius) I address it like this:

School name
Attn: !@#embly and Program Coordinator
address
address

When the receptionist gets it they walk 10 feet to the box of the !@#embly coordinator. I know this workds because I know a VP at an elementary school and asked her if this way would work and she agreed. I also have done, do it currently and book a lot of school shows from it. Also, it's a nice market because you can create different programs and perform for the same school 3-4-5 times a year!

Build a solid relationship and you'll have that school in your pocket!
I find most corporate cards, if mailing blind - should be directed to the H.R. Dept. or the Public Relations. I usually mix them up, mailing one month to H.R., the next to P.R. This gives six hits per year with each department.
Tom,

Just out of pure curiosity, how much corporate work do you get from being a ventriloquist?

I saw your site and videos and loved your act! It looks really good!
How much? At least my share, a bit more at times.

Corporate looks at me as being a comedian. The fact I customize my material about their people, inside jokes and event/goals is a big selling point. For that market I focus on doing after dinner shows for awards banquets, convention/seminar and holiday events. (Strictly a stage act.) There are less vents than magicians and it is currently "hot" with Jeff Dunham and Terry Fator on TV. As a result, things have grown faster than expected.

BTW - Michael asked what we put on our cards - the last paragraph gives you the fast focus of my message.

Thanks for the kind words about my act. Glad you enjoyed the video.
Thanks Tom!