(Close Window)
Topic: Great gag line from Joshua Jay's Talk About Tricks column
David Forrest laid out a beautiful and very funny gag in the description of "Clipper Coins" (Magic, June 2008). He uses this to introduce a lighter into the routine:

"Forget fad diets, folks. Have you seen the very latest in weight-loss technology? Here it is!"

[Show cigarette lighter and rub it with your thumb.]

"That's right! All you have to do is rub it a bit, and you feel a littler lighter!"

--
I haven't gotten groans as deep as these in a while (and I throw out a lot of groaners).

jeff in san diego
I love it! But I am a sucker for any pun - especially a groaner like that one.
David Acer posted a trick on his website a few years back called Lighter, Then Air. It was really funny and would go well with this line. I'll see if I can find a link. I have video footage of me performing it if anyone's interested.
Hi Folks,

"Lighter, Then Air" was up on my website a few years ago, but just for the record, it's actually a trick by Rick Bronson (I posted it as a sample from Seven by Rick Bronson, a small book I wrote in 2003). And Eric, I would love to see the video of you performing it (I video-taped Rick doing it at the holding bar of his comedy club in Edmonton for my next road DVD, but I have no idea when that will come out).
The other "lighter" gag that I use is an old two parter:

Palming a tiny black nun, I'll ask spectator to hold out a hand palm up and visualize a pile of invisible coins resting in their palm. I ask them "If I were to remove all of the coins from your hand and place them into my hand [at the same time, I 'invisibly' place the nun into my open hand and close it up into a fist] how many coins did you see me put into my hand - with your eyes?" When they respond 'none' you open your hand to reveal the nun.

Then I ask them to hold out both of their hands (palms up). Into one I place the nun and the other, the lighter (one with some weight to it). I ask them which is heavier and when they indicate the one holding the lighter I correct them by stating "no, that's the lighter!" (as I flick it open...)

And, thus I end on a lighter note....

jeff in san diego

p.s.

Nice seeing you at the Niagara Comedy Magic Seminar, David. It was a great meeting. I've got a picture of you in my magic scrapbook from the conference (see link below)
Great stuff.

Jeff, there is a lighter that looks like a stack of quarters. This might have some use for your gag.

Richard S