(Close Window)
Topic: Ultimate 3 Fly and Others Stolen...Please Read!
Just when I thought people in the world couldn't reach lower levels... boy, was wrong! At a recent magician's convention, someone stole my coin purse right off of the performing surface that I was working on, just inches away from me as I was performing close-up magic informally for a small gathering of people. How low can people get??? The contents of the purse? My Bob Kohler Ultimate 3 Fly Coin set, my Lassen Gravity Flipper, four ungaffed Peace silver dollars, four 1964 Kennedy half dollars with matching expanded shell, and a Lassen Copper/Silver/Brass coin set. These coins were all active parts of my current repertoire that had taken me years to be able to buy. I used them daily in local performances to help augment my pathetic resident physician salary, and now they are all gone!! I currently lack the finances to replace any of these coins, so I hope the person responsible for this gets what is coming to them. And while I know I'll never see any of these coins again, I am a firm believer in karma, so I'll take solace in that for now.
--Scott Kahn
I'm sorry that happened Scott. I hope the person comes forward.
This happens more than we think. I wonder if anyone who may have seen it will step forward. I have heard many stories from brick and mortar magic store owners and demonstrators that it happens there as well.

What goes around...you may get the value back in other ways...when you least expect it.....

Harris
Do you have any coin sets at all? I wish I could help but I'm a under paid programmer. maybe you could get a copper 3 fly set, and replace thr expanded shell, and a johnson c/s/b that's more then I have at anyone time anymore but prolly could get under 400
My friend Eric Jones had the [b]exact[/b] thing happen to him at the same convention last year...[b]all[/b] of his coins were stolen from his dealer booth.
I am very sorry to hear this has happen to another magician...it seems this convention is a safe haven for a lot of the criminal minds of magic....

Justin N. Miller
That sucks...I feel for you.
Hey man that's horrible. I remember being at a Joshua Jay lecture and he mentioned about having his stuff stolen recently. Horrible thing. Well I know its not a Lassen, but I have a Johnson expanded shell you can have if you would like. Let me know.

-Ben
That is horrible, they steal your effects what makes you think they would not steal your props.. a thief will be a thief..sorry about your loss Scott.
vinny
I believe in 'karma' too. They will reap what they sow.
Maybe you can turn it into a positive by learning some new effects or even the same effects without the gaffs
I'd think giving the convention's name might be a good idea considering that more than one person has paid the price for lack of security or no control of who gets in and who gets out...in this case with your coins.
Just terrible! :/ I don't have a lot of what you loss but perhaps others here that do have some of these things perhaps sitting in drawer somewhere, would think about at least "loaning" them to you until you can get back on your feet. I hope guys like Lassen, Kohler hear of your plight and offer to help out. I'm sure they have extras of these things, that perhaps they could give you at a much reduced rate or let you borrow them for a while. Perhaps the NYC Coin Guys could help, perhaps any of you out there might find a way to help Scott out.
I have an extra johnson CSB set you can have if you PM me your address.

Frank
IT happens!

Several years ago when working the parlor room at The Magic Castle...I set my act up then left it alone for about an hour or so before I was going on. About 40 minutes prior to showtime...I noticed the act that I had been using all week was mostly GONE! Someone had actually gone backstage and taken a large part of my "custom made" act. I basically had to scrounge around the castle "borrowing" stuff just to make up a 30 minute act...needless to say I was not pleased!

But what goes around...comes around! Sorry to hear of your loss my friend...

Cody S. Fisher
The same thing happened to me a while back... The worst part was it happened in my home. I had a wooden tea chest where I would store all my gaffs I had nothing but Lassen silver gaffs in there. Barber shell set, Kennedy shell set, 2 Soft Morgan Shell sets, A couple differnt Walker sets...Copper silvers and flippers as well as a couple 3 coin nests and a whole bunch of Johnson Chinese coins, ungaffed coins, brass coin boxes and leather JOL purses.

I came home from work one day and it was all gone. Even the few coins I had on my performance table. I could not believe it, I was so mad. I am still very upset about what happened, but as people have said what goes around comes around. I feel for you man. In time, the frustration will pass.. and you can rebuild. Thatís what I am doing now. I guess the best thing is you have this chance to upgrade everything. Thatís what I am trying to do... and in time you will have what you had previously and more.

Good luck man... I am so sorry that really stinks.

Best to you.

Shawn.
Sorry to hear about your loss Scott. I hate cowards who sneak around and steal stuff behind your back. They are destined for a fiery existence, they just don't know it yet!

If you have any homeowners insurance or renters insurance you may be able to collect after your deductible is satisfied. Call your agent and tell them what happened and see if the theft might be covered.

Best of luck!

** Bill **
Thanks to all who have sent kinds words of support. You are all great! True friends. However, I kind of feel like I don't even want to perform right now. Never thought I'd feel like that. I am currently using some of my old Johnson gaffs (expanded shell and C/S/B) until I can scrunge up the cash to replace what was stolen, but that won't be for a long time. I am most upset about my Ultimate 3 Fly set. That was my favorite routine and always played well. No sense in dwelling over that which I cannot control though.
--Scott
Scott,

I do have a Peace Dollar set with an Expanded shell. I also have a Walking Liberty gravity flipper. Just send me a PM and I am willing to lend it to you. I should be ok with the other set I have. When you finally get your stuff back again somehow...you can send it back. P me your address if you are interested. Nothi g in return Scott....Just promise that you will ot stop doing magic.

Best from Manila,

Rannie
Yea I have had stuff Stolen 3 Time in my life! Once from a mall.One from My car!
(Thay busted out a window Luckly it was just a wing and not the hole thing!)
And Once at a magic Con.! The One at the magic Con. I found at the lost and found
In the hotel like 5 weeks latter! I guass some turned it in Latter! So I fell for you man!
[quote]
On 2008-06-05 13:15, rannie wrote:
Scott,

I do have a Peace Dollar set with an Expanded shell. I also have a Walking Liberty gravity flipper. Just send me a PM and I am willing to lend it to you. I should be ok with the other set I have. When you finally get your stuff back again somehow...you can send it back.[b] P me your address if you are interested. Nothi g in return Scott....Just promise that you will ot stop doing magic.[/b]

Best from Manila,

Rannie
[/quote]

Seems like someone stole some of my letter too. Oh well! Things could have been worse Scott.... at least you still have the magic in you. Knowledge and experience is still king in magic. Just trying to cheer you up brothah!
Rannie:
Thanks for the offer. As we discussed privately, I am using a beat up Johnson expanded shell for now until I can get the funds to replace what was stolen. Don't worry. I promise I won't give up performing. No thief can take the passion and love I feel for our art. Thanks again.
Scott
Thieves are no fun at all, of course, but there's lots of nice people in here. Wish I had something to send you but a shell is the only coin-ish thing I own. But you're welcome to it.
Scott,

without gaffs, think of it as an opportunity to work on that hard core sleight of hand......lol
Wow, that really sucks...probably some little kid...one was on here recently swindling the he## out of Cafť members...
Scott,
I understand your loss and know it is both financial as well as sentimental and that stinks (acually I thought a different word but I can't use it here). However, look at what they didnít (and canít steal) , your ability to give enjoyment and wonder, your love of the art and the support of the magic community. How empty their life must be....

Sounds like you will be up and running in no time.

They can steal the stuff, canít touch the magic.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Jun 6, 2008 11:18PM)
Hey, maybe you will be a proctologist, and the guy who stole the stuff will come in for an exam. that's what I call, poetic justice.
[quote]
On 2008-06-07 00:03, Mad Doctor wrote:
Scott,
I understand your loss and know it is both financial as well as sentimental and that stinks (acually I thought a different word but I can't use it here). However, look at what they didnít (and canít steal) , your ability to give enjoyment and wonder, your love of the art and the support of the magic community. How empty their life must be....

Sounds like you will be up and running in no time.

They can steal the stuff, canít touch the magic.
[/quote]

Well said!!!
It happens quite often. The type of people that atteneded conventions in the 1970's are not the all the same type of ones that attend today. It only takes a few bad ones.

I think "bait close-up bags" should be set up. The thief, when caught, should, well, have about $10,000 worth of dental work to keep him busy when he gets back home ( from when he slipped and fell ). Yes, he'll say he was trying to find the owner of the bag. Then the lesson will not be one of don't steal, but don't be stupid.
[quote]
On 2008-06-07 00:18, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Hey, maybe you will be a proctologist, and the guy who stole the stuff will come in for an exam. that's what I call, poetic justice.
[/quote]

NICE! :eek:
[quote]
On 2008-06-07 04:58, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I think "bait close-up bags" should be set up.
[/quote]
Good ideas Chris.

I am going to do this at the Blackpool convention next year.

I will be watching from the balcony in the Empress Ballroom.

Beware thieves.
[quote]
On 2008-06-05 10:13, Justin N. Miller wrote:
My friend Eric Jones had the EXACT thing happen to him at the same convention last year..ALL of his coins were stolen from his dealer booth.
I am very sorry to hear this has happen to another magician..it seems this convention is a safe haven for a lot of the criminal minds of magic.....

Justin N. Miller
[/quote]

LOL!

You must have a good view from the top of your glass house!

Scott,

So sorry to hear this man. I had about $500 worth of coins stolen one time and it hurt. Not as bad as stealing another's material but it still hurt.

I'd be happy to help you out. I have a a CSB set and a shell that I no longer use. They are yours if you'd like.

All the best,

Kranzo
So sad that there are those that must steal. I'd like to catch 'em and bust their fingers.

I don't have much in the way of gaffed coins or I'd be glad to send something to you.

Anothr angle on this. Some time back a well-known close up guy's case was stolen and I loaned him a chop cup and some coins... He never even said thanks or returned anything.

Argh...

I havae had my bag stolen twice (in France) and lost cameras, plane tickets and passports, so I know the feeling... and it sucks.
So sorry to hear Scott!

I had a couple of Porper chip sets stolen from my jacket one night in a bar while I was shooting pool. The sad part is that the guy I suspect wouldn't have a clue what to do with them so he probably chucked the gaffs and tried to cash in the chips the next time he was in Vegas!
I HATE THIEVES!
[quote]
On 2008-06-07 18:20, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
[quote]
My friend Eric Jones had the EXACT thing happen to him at the same convention last year..ALL of his coins were stolen from his dealer booth.
I am very sorry to hear this has happen to another magician..it seems this convention is a safe haven for a lot of the criminal minds of magic.....

Justin N. Miller
[/quote]

LOL!

Scott,

So sorry to hear this man. I had about $500 worth of coins stolen one time and it hurt. Not as bad as stealing another's material but it still hurt.

I'd be happy to help you out. I have a a CSB set and a shell that I no longer use. They are yours if you'd like.

All the best,

Kranzo
[/quote]

That's really kind of you Nathan. You're one of magic's good guys.

What do you mean re. reference to glass house? Does Justin live in a house made of glass? Sorry if I'm being dumb.
Those who live in a glass house, shouldn't throw stones.
How about keeping an eye on your stuff? Your first mistake is trusting magicians.
Sure, there's a few good ones, like those here at the Cafť, but other than that...

I ride a $2,500 rode bicycle all over NYC, people ask me where my lock and chain is? I laugh...If you're going to steal my bike, you're going to have to take me too!

Material things have NO value. Let it go.
[quote]
On 2008-06-08 13:36, Justin Style wrote:
How about keeping an eye on your stuff? Your first mistake is trusting magicians.
Sure, there's a few good ones, like those here at the CafÔŅĹ, but other than that...
[/quote]

Is his original post he says he was performing close up at the time and they were stolen right from under his nose. Not much you can do about that.

If learning magic has taught me anything, it's that things can happen without being seen if someone is bold enough and acts while attention is elsewhere.
[quote]
On 2008-06-08 13:05, Magikrn wrote:
Those who live in a glass house, shouldn't throw stones.
[/quote]
Does that mean Nathan is saying Justin is a thief?
That's what I took it as when I first read it.
[quote]
On 2008-06-08 14:12, Magikrn wrote:
[/quote]
Kranzilla vs. Miller!
[quote]
On 2008-06-08 15:28, Andi Peters wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-06-08 14:12, Magikrn wrote:
[/quote]
Kranzilla vs. Miller!
[/quote]

And so it begins...
Once again, thank you to all the kind offers coming my way. Currently, however, I am performing with some old beat up Johnson coin gaffs until I can raise the funds to replace what was taken. It'll probably be a long time though until I can replace my U3F set, which was my favorite, of course. It's nice knowing that I have so many friends here on the Cafť. Best wishes to you all.
--Scott
Sounds like I missed all the fun? : )

Just like school on Sunday.....no class.

Scott sorry your thread got hijacked while you were gone. But it looks to be all better now.

Once again my offer still stands....let me know if you need any gaffs.

All the best,

Kranzo
Scott, while you are collecting for the coin gaffs again - try out some of the tricks with a small set of billiards, even the adams set and see where that takes you :)
[quote]
On 2008-06-08 02:27, MickeyPainless wrote:
So sorry to hear Scott!

I had a couple of Porper chip sets stolen from my jacket one night in a bar while I was shooting pool. The sad part is that the guy I suspect wouldn't have a clue what to do with them so he probably chucked the gaffs and tried to cash in the chips the next time he was in Vegas!
I HATE THIEVES!
[/quote]

Mick,
PM Richard Mendez, the SOB has like 12 sets of Porper Poker chips, tell him Jake said come up off a set for you :)
I had my CD changer stolen out of my car years ago. I had never been ripped off before and it was a feeling that I had a hard time describing. I had auto insurance though and I was able to replace it. With gaffs costing what they do these days, I wonder if there's a way to get insurance for them.
Scott...my heart goes out to you. If you do want to take up one of our offers I too have an extra EXP Peace dollar shell (Schoolcraft) with 4 Peace dollars that I would happily loan you for an indefinite period of time.

M&S
Scott, people suck. . . sometimes. . . other times they blow. Though, I maintain that I have a pretty optimistic outlook on humanity, I'm never surprised that stuff like this happens. Wish I had some extra stuff to lend you. Keep on keepin' on!

Mark
Really sorry to hear of your loss. I had my U3-Fly stolen too. I couldn't let it go. Everytime I thought about it I got mad all over again. After a year, I called Todd Lassen and had him make me a new one, just to get it behind me. But I swear, if I ever catch the guy......
[quote]
On 2008-06-07 18:20, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
[quote]

Justin N. Miller
[/quote]

LOL!

Scott,

All the best,

Kranzo
[/quote]

What are you implying?
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Scott. On the flip side of the coin, so to speak, following a recent lecture one of our MYI teens approached me with a pouch filled with coins and other valuable magic items he had found in a corner of the room. We checked with all of the attendees and no one claimed it. Turns out that a previous lecturer from several weeks earlier had left it behind. He was very glad to get it back. So, have heart - there are still good people out there who respect their peers. I hope your thief has a change of heart and returns your coins soon!
So sorry for your loss. But I have to say, the outpouring of concern, sympathy, and the the offers of help have GOT to make you feel like you're part of a wonderful and caring community. Many people who experience loss (of ANY type) aren't fortunate enough to have access to such a caring extended family.

I, personally, have been really moved by what I've read here. And I must say, it makes me very proud.

And on another, though related, subject, not long ago I came upon someone working their way through a U-Lock in their attempt to steal a rather valuable bike that I own. I saw him busy at work from the window of the sporting goods store I'd run into for "just a second." I asked the owner if I could borrow a bat, told him why, and we both went outside. I tapped this jerk on the shoulder with it ... lightly ... I swear, and made it clear that I was prepared to do a passable impression of Barry Bonds on his head if he didn't move away at a brisk pace. The shop owner even snapped the guy's photo, which was posted the following day for two blocks in every direction.

Again, sorry for your loss

And remember, whoever did this to you. will NEVER be able to buy back what he's lost....