(Close Window)
Topic: Are the prices of magic posters falling?
I curiously read a posting in another Forum at the suggestion of my close friend Kevin Connolly.
The initial responses, which were fully posted by unqualified individuals, are totally false and misleading. That is why you have to be careful in not only what you read and or hear in the mainstream media today, but I guess in our limited audience forums also.

Having been banned unjustly from that forum, I was glad to see that an educated and poster collector ,and close friend, Robert Newman PhD., came to the rescue, clarifying absurd and untrue remarks posted.

Doc Newman's posting kept the rest of the "crowd" out. There were no responses to his posting.Bravo for Doc!

Magic Poster prices continue to rise at a formidable rate, with the exception of the common ones that "instant poster collectors and self made authorities" bought some years ago for extraordinary prices at auction. They were inflating the prices for what I believe one reason only, EGO!

Last year alone there were several record prices paid for Magic posters; some exceeding the prices currently paid for poster classics of Lautrec, Mucha and Cappiello.

So, if you have happened to have bought Thurston Otis posters for $10 and $12K you made a huge mistake. Same goes for Alexander, George, Fak Hongs and certain Carters.

This brings back the old advise given by the SEASONED and EDUCATED collector, buy what you know and stay away from what you don't know!

Comments are welcome.
Collectibles are always an up and down market, pure supply and demand, and the popularity of various collectibles changes all the time. Be it a poster or a baseball card, it just has the intrinsic value of a piece of paper until somebody wants to buy it. As most investors and traders in collectible markets can tell you, it is a crap shoot at best, and you probably get better odds on the dice table.
Collecting because you want to is always the safer route, for me. That way if it goes up or down in value doesn't matter to me, my kids will sell it all off in a garage sale one day, but I enjoy looking at them and possessing them, and that is where the value is.
This what I posted over on the other forum:

"I don't know if it can be any one answer. The Kellar poster that you have a link to is a half sheet. From my experience, it's the one sheet that seems to be the most desirable. That goes for Kellar, Houdini, etc.

The decline could be partly Egyptian Hall. I know that the sepia Kellar dropped after a handful were sold there. The Fechner sales must be considered too.

The decline could be any of the reasons you mentioned. You may want to toss in the "New Blood" factor. If no new collectors come into the market, when some bigger collections are sold in the next year or so, they won't be absorbed. That will be a further decline in prices.

But what the heck do I know"
The escape convention was an informal get together at the Indianapolis lock collectors show in April. Most of the people there seemed to be of the opinion that the hobby (lock collecting) was requiring new collectors as the attendance was small and well, graying.
I am impressed by the auction catalogs I've seen for magic posters, they are affordable and a great reference. Granted my own interest is a narrow one in the community, so I don't see anyone selling much of what I am looking for, but information is good, too.
Not too badly stung yet, but I imagine its coming!
Mr. Carrandi,
In the past I have won a few auctions you ran - I believe they were called Random Treasures Auctions. My question is are you still running those auctions - I did not know if I had been missing them or they have not been offered as of late.
Thanks!
Random Treasures is now dormant, my partner succumbed to Cancer 2 months ago, he is not not easily replaced.

We had a very succesful run, with our last sale grossing over $1MM a record for ANY magic auction worldwide to date.