(Close Window)
Topic: Paddle tricks
What do you think is the best paddle trick. And how effective do you think they are. Do they get good reactions?
See mine in the August 2007 Genii. IMHO it beats 'em all and kills.
No smoking dvd by jlb , this is my favourite paddle routine not just trick it is perfect for the current times as smoking has just been banned (public places) in the UK

luke
Have a look at John Carney's "Swing Blade".
One of the best impromptu paddle tricks going.
Joe Porper's money paddle is fun to do for all ages, but for kids I like Adair's Paggle Waggle. I am also Looking for more good kid paddles myself actually. Would like to find one with a good story built in.
Porper's new "Hoppity Hip Rabbits" is a Hippity Hop routine with rabbits and a wolf... great for kids. See ad in Genii

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 12:14pm
Here's the link http://www.porperoriginals.com/paddles_hippity.html
Great idea Pete!

David
Porper paddles are really nice, I would love to have several.
[quote]
On 2008-06-20 02:18, Pete Biro wrote:
See mine in the August 2007 Genii. IMHO it beats 'em all and kills.
[/quote]

Pure GOLD!!!!
Thanks,
Hansel!
I'm a big fan of paddle tricks. It was a well-executed Hot Rod routine that moved me out of the realm of magic spectator and into magic performer many years ago. So - simple as it is - I'm obviously partial to the Hot Rod when it comes to paddle tricks. I would recommend the Precision Hot Rod from Precision Magic. I also like - and regularly perform - Mark Jenest's "Number 2 Pencil" and "The Amazing Jumping Arrow."
Totally weird. I did NOT post twice.
Sorry for the redundancy. It was not intentional.
I like Terry LaGerould's Baffle Bat. Watch a video here.

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Baffle-Bat-by-Terry-LaGerould-Trick
I agree with Wayne. I find this to be the final answer to paddle effects. It has been a major staple in my professional close-up performing repertoire for several years now and never ceases to amaze and astonish spectators. The creative possibilities are endless and you are limited only by your imagination. It also gives your cliche card tricks, the ones every other magician on this planet is doing, a much needed rest.
I'm partial to Jumping Gems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLSW8Xn1194&feature=related
John Carney has a nice idea for a paddle type trick on his recent DVD set using a knife.
Color changing Knives
Personally, I prefer the Pygmy Paddle. The population that has purchased it and performed it have been paid back partially with prestige.

Check The Magic Menu and I think Genii Magazine.

Regards,

Paul Green
Have you considered paddle tricks that don't use hot rods? A good example are the paddle moves with blank or business cards. Check out Tocapadmo in Rick Maue's The Book of Haunted Magick.
I also am partial to Jumping Gems (with flashrod ending) having perfomed it over 25 years. But it needs to be performed slower , it becomes much more magical. Done as in the video clip above, just a confusing collection of rapid moves.
[quote]
On 2008-06-20 08:29, daviaac wrote:
No smoking dvd by jlb , this is my favourite paddle routine not just trick it is perfect for the current times as smoking has just been banned (public places) in the UK
luke
[/quote]

As a paddle newbie, I have started performing 'Strike 2' (STEP system by RSVP magic), Lee Smith's take on 'No Smoking' by JL Bertrand. £2 for a couple of disposable, fully eaminable lighters... very nice indeed.
I have used this at a couple of strolling gigs and got great reactions. I always steered clear of paddle effects, but now I will explore some of the recommendations above (I'd particularly like to see Paul Green's effect as I loved 'In the trenches').

Charlie
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (May 10, 2010 11:40PM)
I love Paul Green's pygmy paddle routine becuase it's so commercial! The paddles can be customized to plug the venue you're working in and the paddles can be given away as a moemento.

Pete Biro's routine is also novel and quite brilliant.

Recently I was shown a nice paddle trick using 3 holes and a tooth pick. The ending really got me. It's another Porper trick - and a good one for the wise guys in the audience.
[quote]
On 2010-05-10 08:26, Nala Nosmoht wrote:
I also am partial to Jumping Gems (with flashrod ending) having perfomed it over 25 years. But it needs to be performed slower , it becomes much more magical. Done as in the video clip above, just a confusing collection of rapid moves.
[/quote]

I agree with your comment. The clip was just the best I could find at the moment.
The very best Paddle Tricks in the World are:

Jumping Gems with Flash Rod finale (a Ken Allen product)
I'll Start Again (a Repro Magic product)
Ju Ju STick (a Repro Magic product)

Nothing beats these for routine and entertainment value.
Ken Allen of Jumping Gems, Crosstown, Tricky Tray etc. fame produced an interesting series (3, I think) of transparent plastic paddles. The effect is an attractive lady in a long gown is surprisingly made to lose her gown altogether and appear completely nude!

Ken also supplied a short poem in good taste to accompany the Magic.

If I remember correctly, each of the 3 paddles featured a different lady in a different pose and a differently colored dress.

For a while you could buy those same decals at truck stops and other male oriented stores. The novelty, of course, was the figure's being clothed when viewed from one side of a window and sans clothes from the other side. Remember cars/trucks had crank open and manually operated little vent windows then and it was easy to show off this risque' addition to your gang.

I'm not saying this is my favorite paddle trick, but this unique "transparent change" was a novelty for its time and worth mentioning for posterity.

Julie (blushing just a bit :) )
Having seen Lee Smith perform 'Strike 2' countless amount of times, I can honestly say it's blown everyone away every single time, check out his STEPS 2 dvd set, I can't recall a clip on youtube etc to link
I agree "I'll Start Again" originally from JImmy Rogers via Unique Studio. I learned it in England from Alan Alan when he worked at Unique. Unique's line was sold to REPRO, but I understand they have gone out of biz.
Hey, Pete, I have the JUMBO "I'll Start Again" from Harry Stanley's Unique Magic studio. I love the routine. 100% Entertainment!
Joe Mogar his knifes are so cool, and his video is great too
Carney's Swing Blade, and Chance Wolf's "Shattered"

I also enjoy Paul Green's Pygmy Paddles.
I was told of one with Dracula on it that was made ages ago, so I made one myself.

The routine...

You show a coffin shaped paddle that has Dracula on both sides.
Then you pull out a small mirror, hold it underneath the paddle, and show how vampires don't cast a reflection.
(HUH? pretty awesome!)
Then you pull out a small steak that sticks through a hole in Dracula.
Then he vanishes.

Great paddle trick!!

Randi
[quote]
On 2008-06-22 04:45, Tom Fenton wrote:
Have a look at John Carney's "Swing Blade".
One of the best impromptu paddle tricks going.
[/quote]

Is that the one with the knife that he does here:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbQUCCUECdw&feature=related If so, it's very good, I like the move with the glass, and funnily enough, I use two pieces instead of three as I feel it streamlines it, but I learned it from Mark Wilson's Complete course in Magic.

Published in 1975. Still the best value way of learning magic. In the UK its under a tenner from Amazon, and it's really well written, easy to follow, and has over 200 effects in it from cards, close-up and bar betchas, all the way up to full scale stage illusions. Don't tell anyone, but half of my professional act comes from it. ;)

Andy
[quote]
On 2010-06-10 19:30, randirain wrote:
I was told of one with Dracula on it that was made ages ago, so I made one myself.

The routine...

Then you pull out a small mirror, hold it underneath the paddle, and show how vampires don't cast a reflection.
(HUH? pretty awesome!)
Then he vanishes.

Great paddle trick!!

Randi
[/quote]

Now THAT is brilliant!

Andy
Oh, but performing I do "I'll Start Again," all the time, and impromptu, I do a little routine with a borrowed lighter where the logo appears and disappears, and has a story about a rep coming to our bar to sell us different types of lighters.

Andy
There are a lot of really nice ones posted here but lets not forget fly circus.It has to be by far the most amazing paddle effect ever ....................hahaha I'm so sorry I had to fly circus is the worst looking effect I have ever stumbled across its bulky its ugly it has flies on it need I say more. Just plain awful. Has anyone ever seen it if so do you agree?
Pygmy Paddles by Paul Green hands down. Its personalized with permanent marker by you and the spectator.

A spectator signs it.
It then becomes visible on both sides
They wave their hand over it and it changes to your name or name of restaurant.
This now appears on both sides.
Place the paddle in their hand and now the changes are permanent.

This gets great reactions. And its given away as a souvenir.

You get them from Paul Green here on the Café. These are a permanent part of my restaurant routine. I've tried on my own to find paddles that will work and found that Mr. Green is the best source.
[quote]
On 2010-04-23 22:06, PaulGreen wrote:
Personally, I prefer the Pygmy Paddle. The population that has purchased it and performed it have been paid back partially with prestige.

Check The Magic Menu and I think Genii Magazine.

Regards,

Paul Green
[/quote]

This is true Paul. If you are interested in simple, direct, hard hitting magic, read my review of the Pygmy Paddles here.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=255649&forum=4

I've used them with success in my Restaurant work.
I always had a problem with finding props initially meaningful

The routine that I prefer is
Young, Mark K. The Amazing Jumping Arrow. Same principle as the colour changing knives but an arrow moves up and down a rod. The principle could be used for the Swiss army knives (Victorinox) logo having a wider variety of effects. First the logo moves up and down and then the knife changes color (Niberco supply from sleeve, and pocket ditching of the other a la Slydini/Gary Kurtz). If not interested in the Swiss army knives, any small (preferably meaningful in the frame of the plot) decal would do

The most meaningful paddle prop I've studied is from Scott Guinn "Great Scott! It’s Coin Magic!" p 50: Sucker Trick reprinted in My Best To You Vol 2 p 5: Sucker Trick and it's... a lolly pop and a dime! The routine is also really nice.
This one looks really cool. I think it is the one that Randi may have been talking about.

Does not seem to be made anymore though.

http://www.martinsmagic.com/?nd=full&key=3827&myaf=af_mm
[quote]
On 2010-05-10 08:26, Nala Nosmoht wrote:
[/quote]
Hi Nala
Do they still make this (Jumping Gems with flashrod ending)? I've done a google search but all I could find was Jumping Gems. Could you explain what the flashrod ending is?
Thanks
Ralph
That one is much nicer than the one I was talking about.
But it looks like it is based on the same idea.

Randi
My favorite is a paddle I bought from Hocus Pocus a few years ago. It has a red, yellow, and green dot to resemble a traffic light. I can't find it anywhere, but the effect is the same as the Meteor Paddle.(http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Close-Up-Meteor-Paddle-Brian-Geer__734.htm)
[quote]
On 2010-06-11 06:33, Andy Charlton wrote:
[quote]

The routine...

(HUH? pretty awesome!)
Then he vanishes.

Great paddle trick!!

Randi
[/quote]

Now THAT is brilliant!

Andy
[/quote]

Have to agree, and combine it with shattered by wolfs magic that was mentioned somewhere too and you have a really nice routine.
I used to do the Dracula paddle routine that Randi is talking about. I Believe it was a Doug Bennet product (going off my hazy memory of the eighties). I also used to do his Business Merger trick.
I read Paul's Pygmy paddle in the magic menu and loved it. I found it hard to source the props though and then saw the parrot paddles for sale (with parrots and cages on. Sorry I don't know who markets these I got them from a dealer). I took inspiration from Paul's patter and applied it to the problems the Pygmys of Papau New Guinea have with pesky parrots perching on their paddles. This is a regular in my working repertoire that takes up very little pocket space, is enjoyed by all ages and fun to perform. Thanks Paul, I hope you don't mind the variation your idea inspired.
Randi, thanks for the memory. That's a great paddle trick, and as escherwolf says, it sounds like a Doug Bennett idea. Can you imagine it with a Twilight update?

Just wanted to also put in a word for my "Jumping Gems" routine, done with dangly earrings. Obviously, that's my favorite. So, word.
Had to revisit this older thread to suggest Chad Long's "FLASH." It's like color-changing knives, but with USB flash drives. Works like a dream, you can carry it anywhere and it's relevant in today's world. I wrote my own patter for the trick, but what Chad has in the instructions works well. Highly recommended!
Nobody seems to have mentioned a favorite of mine from Rene Lavand: Los Palitos. If I am not mistaken, it is a variation on Jumping Gems but it is very well routined and well played, and it is one I use constantly. I also have Number Two Pencil from Mark Jenest - that was the very first paddle effect I ever bought, followed by Hot Rods of various designs and materials.

@Randi: I remember that Dracula paddle and I love your idea!
I just remembered another one that I picked up a long time ago and I have no idea what the name of it is, or to whom it belongs. The effect is this:

The performer shows a paddle that looks like a little wooden stake, which has a single black dot on the wide end. Asking the audience if they know what it is, the performer shows to have a single spot on the other side as well, explaining that it is a vampire detector. Some may prefer The Detector of the Living Dead...If someone has been bitten by a vampire and the paddle comes near their neck, then two spots will show up on the end. After testing each spectator very carefully and finding no vampires among them, the performer strokes his chin thoughtfully, then proceeds to raise the paddle to his own neck, where two spots have appeared. Further, when he smiles, he is seen to have vampire teeth in his mouth!

This is a great little effect that I use for Halloween and on a couple of occasions, I have used this just about every other time of year in cities like New Orleans. When played right, it can be comedic or it can be used as a bizarre bit - which requires some great scripting, acting and storytelling, which is my favorite way to do it...
Doctor,

That is from Mike Close. It was (and still is I assume) in the Workers books and sold separately.
Thank you Jeff! I knew who it was - way down in the dark of the brain basement - but I could not remember for the life of me. I do not have the Workers books but I have seen it in there - I purchased it separately. The name of it just came back to me - Down For the Count.
Chris Ballinger's Permanent has served me very well. Not strong as a standalone routine, but working it as introduction effect to anything that uses a Sharpie has gotten some really great reactions. Baffle Bat and Color Changing Knives are still my favorite though.
I'm on a bit of a paddle frenzy at the minute, and this thread has introduced me to the Baffle Bat. It's now next on my shopping list. Thank you!
I've always loved the Hot Rod but I don't use the horrible colour force because I like my paddle routines to be repeatable; but more importantly to end examinable. I'm awaiting delivery of John Kennedy's Dream Paddle right now, was hoping to see it mentioned in this thread, but oh well...
Daryl had a routine I believe he called "Dicey Dots". It shows up on his Millenium Tour video. It looks like it would be fun to perform. I thought it was a marketed effect, but I have looked and can't find it. Any suggestions as to a source?
[quote]
On 2011-08-20 14:30, AngeloR wrote:
Daryl had a routine I believe he called "Dicey Dots". It shows up on his Millenium Tour video. It looks like it would be fun to perform. I thought it was a marketed effect, but I have looked and can't find it. Any suggestions as to a source?
[/quote]
Ask Daryl: magic@foolerdoolers.com
Can anyone tell me where I can locate that drakula paddle mentioned earlier and shattered? Preferably uk vendors. Thanks all :)

Edit... its called drakulas coffin and is available for $5 from magicnook.com.

It has slightly more to the routine too. Place him back into the coffin then really open the lid and he is gone.
Alan: Thanks for the contact info. I will contact Daryl.
Money Paddle is nice.

http://youtu.be/F_l9nebAc7s
[quote]

The routine...

(HUH? pretty awesome!)
Then he vanishes.

Great paddle trick!!

Randi
[/quote]

That's [b]Vampire[/b] by Doug Bennett. I just recently put up my performance on youtube. It's better if you select the [b]Full Screen[/b] option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QL3CUT6rKo

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
Yes... That was two years ago that I wrote that.

Since then, I have got permission from Doug to make the Vampire Paddles.
Mine are different though.

Randi
Panel has a very creative paddle routine on his DVD set.
Another vote for 'I'll Start Again' by Jimmy Rogers.

Pure entertainment with just a little wooden paddle and a piece of chalk.

I've performed this trick for many years and it never fails to go over well.

It was also a favourite of Joe Riding - it's actually Joe's routine that I still use to this day.

Just to add that it was indeed sold via Harry Stanley's Unique Magic Studio, and then became an item that Ken Brooke also sold via his magic studio after he left Unique. It was (as quite rightly stated) also sold via Repro Magic, and to this day is still available via International Magic. However, the FIRST magic dealer that had rights to sell it were Kaymar Magic (owned by Harry Baron/Joe Stuthard). I'm fact, their shop (when based in Essex) displayed one of Jimmy Rogers' original bats that he made by hand himself. It was never for sale. I tried to buy it more than once. :(
The trick known as "I'll Start Again", is in fact Edward Victor's Bat Trick from "The Magic Of the Hands" series.
All Jimmy Rogers added was the "I'll Start Again", phrase.
And yes it is an excellent trick.
I saw a guy in a video using a paddle move to put the head back on a match, I can't find it again so idk who he was it who came up with the idea but I love it and I use it all the time in combination with the old matchbook trick that I don't know the name of, the one where a match is pulled out and then the rest of the book is burned, and then the match dissapears to be found re-attached in the matchbook, makes for a decent little matchbook routine.
I remember seeing Ken Brook demming I'll Start Again, Money Panel, and the one with a match through the paddle, but was most impressed with one he used to demonstrate earlier. It was one which was simply called SPOT STICKS, and the instructions I received when buying it was - I think - by R.C.JAMISON, unfortunately my instr. have now been mislaid. This routine beats all - in my opinion - those subsequently introduced. Had many requests by those who have seen it done, with all the bits of business (used by Ken Brook), and told it was their favourite. An absolutely great routine with small close-up props that take little room in your pockets and produces impromptu magic of the highest order. People who have not seen it, I would recommend to search it out. Similar to Jumping Gems, but better. Not just my opinion but all those who have witnessed it. Search it out.
Ya know, I like this set:

http://wolfsmagic.com/Paddlecraft%20BLACK.htm

Cutting edge. :)

Once, I had this set:

https://sunshine.rahul.net/~jaw/birdpadd.jpg

That was a good one!

There used to be an advertisement here in the Café for a wooden set that was beautiful! It was expensive, though. Gone now. :rolleyes:

Doug
Here it is! I have never seen anything like this!

https://bergmannmagic.com/archives/909

Doug
How about Whit Hadyn's "Intricate Web of Distraction" - color changing knifes routine.
I did not about I'll start again, I just found it in youtube and it is a lot of fun, here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIRdLCaIsyY
[quote]
On 2012-10-28 19:36, Dougini wrote:
Ya know, I like this set:

http://wolfsmagic.com/Paddlecraft%20BLACK.htm

Cutting edge. :)

[/quote]
I especially like "Bolted" for some reason. I may just get one.
I may have mentioned in another thread already that Pete B's bat routine written up in genii is a killer. I made my own paddle from a tongue depressor and keep the paddle and a chalk in a eye glass case. Whenever I bring it out for performance people take it as a some cheap magic trick that I'm about to bore them with. It's a gasper as a stand alone effect or in a routine. This would've been a great trick to do on Letterman's close-up week from few years back.

Another paddle effect I do is changing yellow wendy's straw into red Burger king straw using mickey d straws. Quick changes in a flash look pretty magical to laypeople in any transformation just like vanishes and productions.
[quote]
On 2012-10-31 11:23, pabloinus wrote:
I did not about I'll start again, I just found it in youtube and it is a lot of fun, here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIRdLCaIsyY
[/quote]

Jeeeez, got to be honest. That dem wasn't only woeful, it was truly cringe-worthy.

Jimmy Rogers, Ken Brooke and Joe Riding would be spinning in their graves watching that performance.

The bloke has posted that on YouTube and, apart from murdering it, hasn't even had the courtesy to even get the bloody name of the trick right. The sad thing is that his mates at his local magic club probably think he makes a good job of it.

And we moan about youngsters killing the art of magic on YouTube?

I truly despair at times.
Since Repro is gone via business dirtnap, did they sell rights to the Ju-Ju stick to anyone else? I had one way back in 1970-something. Haven't thought about that in a while. I loved that effect! :)
A few of you mentioned Terry LaGerould's "BAFFLE BAT" paddle effect. Did you know that it was originally called the "Skedaddle Paddle" and was produced by Terry's company "IMP Magic" out of Travers City Michigan. The original Skedaddle Paddle was chrome plated to a mirror finish. Personally I liked the mirror finish more.

While I am on the subject of history, did you know that the “Paddle Move” was first described in Prevost in 1584. Very few magic effect stand the test of time, though the "Paddle Move" being 531 years old has done so.

I have had a Paddle Move effect on the market since 2009. It is titled the "Die - Paddle Prediction". From a small black translucent cloth bag, the magician removes a swizzle stick (paddle) and three black dice. The magician shows both sides of the paddle and asks the spectator to hold the paddle by his/her left hand fingertips. Next, the spectator is handed the three dice in his/her right hand and is asked to roll the three dice onto the table. The outcome of the roll is used to come up with a number.

After the spectator has added the numbers, he/she states the total. Then the magician instructs the spectator to put the paddle into the second black translucent cloth bag. The second bag contains a few dozen paper discs with a different number on each disc. Upon removal of the paddle from the bag, the paddle is found to contain one of the discs attached to it. Not just any disc but the disc that has the same number on it that the spectator freely rolled. Even though the three dice are standard dice (no gimmicks), the cloth bag is not a gimmick bag, there are no duplicate numbered discs, and the paddle is a standard swizzle stick as may be found at a nightclub, this effect works every time.

Thank you for reading
Antony Gerard
Antony, this sounds like a very solid routine and well thought-out.
[quote]On Nov 11, 2013, comicjenius wrote:
Since Repro is gone via business dirtnap, did they sell rights to the Ju-Ju stick to anyone else? I had one way back in 1970-something. Haven't thought about that in a while. I loved that effect! :) [/quote]

Yes, another magic dealer in England, Mike Danata has all the Repro Magic items and rights, but as usual in magic transfers, he is just setting on them. He says he has over 5000 to inventory, and no time to go in the warehouse and get the items out for sale.

I have the Ju-Ju Stick, and I'll Start Again jumbo version from Harry Stanley's before the rights went to Supreme and Repro Magic.

I really like both these paddle tricks as well as Jumping Gems by Ken Allen which is still available from www.tricksupply.com .
Count Dracula where are you ?
I once had a chance to see an online video version of an upgraded version of Latos paddle (Dracula and the mirror)that was much entertaining but can t seem to find it back. Any lead ?
Are you familiar with these props https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/close-up/sbl-vampire-limited-edition-by-rnt-ii/ ?
thanks
What you will want to get is [url=http://www.raincloudmagic.com/latos-paddle-second-edition/]THIS[/url] from Raincloud Magic,
A second (or third) for Daryl's trick, "Dicey Dots." A blank wand removes all the spots from a die. The spots are now on the wand, and the die is seen to have lost its spots. It was a marketed effect -- maybe hard to find now. You can see it and its explanation on Daryl's Fooler Dooler's DVD 2.
There is one (Dracula paddle) to make on the magicnook.com
[quote]On May 22, 2015, Antony Gerard wrote:
A few of you mentioned Terry LaGerould's "BAFFLE BAT" paddle effect. Did you know that it was originally called the "Skedaddle Paddle" and was produced by Terry's company "IMP Magic" out of Travers City Michigan. The original Skedaddle Paddle was chrome plated to a mirror finish. Personally I liked the mirror finish more.

Antony Gerard [/quote]

I have one of these (mirror finish Skedaddle Paddle) in the original plastic baggie with the yellow dots.
[quote]On Mar 8, 2020, wa-na-be wrote:
There is one (Dracula paddle) to make on the magicnook.com [/quote]

I own Doug Bennett's original Vampire paddle trick. Check it out...
[img]https://i.imgur.com/VLUyVaZ.jpg[/img]

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
Can you make a video?