(Close Window)
Topic: MP3Tech Battery
Do any of you owners of the MP3Tech use
this battery to power your unit?

And if so, do you have any comments about it?

BTW this is the one they (WW) recommends.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2Fworkaround.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=BEHP3&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2Fworkaround.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=9&Go.y=9
Did WW verbally tell you this is the one to use, it looks exactly like the battery WW sold to go with the showtech, same manufacturer, and appears the same. So the word you got from WW, were they not confused what you wanted, thinking showtech vs MP3Tech?

On my showtech I used it many times, for probably eight years, I only used it when no electricity was available, I eventually had to buy a new one, it had been rercharged so many times it did not hold a charge anymore. But it worked great, it was just a bit heavy, was actually heavier than the whole showtech unit (computer and mini disc player), it held charge for about 8 hours of play time, than needed to be recharged overnite, it seemed when it got down to only being able to hold about 4 hours charge, from there it went bad pretty fast. If it is the same unit, I still have one, I would like to test it out.

So, did you get this info from WW directly, or did you find it on thier website?
The mp3 will work off a battery pack of two 9volts.

Mine works great like that. But I too only use this when I don;'t have power.

Ken
PM'ed you both

Magicalpro and Ken Scott

Thx.
Anyone else that uses a battery to run

their MP3Tech?
The battery from the above link weighs in at 2.8 pounds.

Dimentions are 5 1/2" X 3" X 3"

That puts a LARGE damper on portable.

There has to be something lighter that will work?

Anybody.......?
I would think that two nine volts are going to be pretty light weight and portable... My concern is a battery powered speaker system to run the sound through. One that is loud enough for an outdoor or park setting, but still portable and light weight.

Lyndel
Lyndel I PM'ed you.
A n y o n e?
Hi

I use m-ups-d from here http://www.supertel.co.uk/universal_battery_pack.htm

This make the whole set up very compact.

I never use mains power.

Hope it helps

Colin
Thanks Colin Uk,

Anyone know of a US company that sells these?

Thx-Nez
Neznarf

Try this http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2741

Google "Universal Li-ion battery pack"

Hope this helps.

Colin
ColinUk,

This is a DIFFERENT Battery from the 1st link?

What's with that?

I thought the battery from:
http://www.supertel.co.uk/universal_battery_pack.htm

Is the 'perfect' battery for the MP3Tech that you use.

I found one for 20 pounds + shipping form the UK.

I don't know anything about battery packs.

Kind of the reason for the post.

Thanks-Nez
Thought you was having difficulty in getting it you side of the pond....Hence my post.

When I was doing my research before getting the M-UPS-D I came across others that would do the job so thought I would let you know.

Sorry for the confusion.

Colin
Colin Uk,

I send you a PM.

Thanks - Nez
Me again.....

It seems the perfect light weight battery is out of stock or no longer available.

Anyone have a battery they use and recommend for the MP3Tech?

Thanks - Nez
Why not e-mail Wireless Wizardry directly for an answer? You can get in touch with Don Lucas, he's their tech guy. I had to contact him once, and he was extremely helpful. PM me if you'd like his e-mail address.

All the best,

John
John1964,

Read first post.

I did, but I'm looking for a lighter battery.

Thx - Nez
Here is a link for a simple 9v Battery hook-up for the MP3

http://www.dowhy.com/9vHookup.gif
Dennis - The link you sent is only a picture. Do you have the link to purchase it or does it have to come from WW?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike...It doesn't come from WW. Radio shack has these parts.

Readers....

I got this email and I want to share it with you. It was sent by a Magic Café reader.. (I hope he doesn't mind sharing this, I left his name off of this quote)
[quote]
Sent this to WW and this is the response I got from Woodie.
Thought you might want to take a look at it.
Yes I made the attached file "picture link above" using your info.
I have two close buddies that have the MP3Tech also. And I emailed to them also.
[/quote]
The following response was from WW.
[quote]
This will work, but not for very long. Typical 9V batteries are designed for low drain devices. You are risking having your music fail suddenly during a show by using a system such as this. Again, it will work, but is risking your show worth it?
[/quote]

Below are my thoughts to this great response and I thank them both...

I agree with Woodie because it is basic logic. I made a duel 12v motorcycle battery pack for my balloons pump which now lasts 14 hours of constant use.

Logic dictates, a 9v battery does not last as long as a heavy duty motorcycle battery. My remote prov-viper lasts months with three 9v batteries (Instructions tell me to change it every performance to be safe) and my wiz-kote lasts longer with three 9v batteries. (Also Instructions tell me to change them often)

I've never pushed the batteries to their limits with MP3 tech. If you want to try it see how long they last, those results would be interesting. This is why I placed a third 9v battery to the group.

From this [url=http://www.dowhy.com/9vHookup.gif]picture[/url] this is a simple unit connection. I have a local Motorcycle/Car battery store near me and I've considered getting a smaller rechargeable battery and using that in replace of the three 9v batteries.

To be on the completely safe side, this might be the better way to go which would save those on 9v alkaline batteries, and use a rechargeable batteries. (Consumer Report says it is the way to go with digital camera batteries.)
I already have the rechargeable power unit for my balloon pump (a decent $35 unit which shuts down when battery is fully charged. Got it from the battery store near me.)

I have an Anchor PA-6000 Battery operated speaker unit that WILL take an 18-24v external battery. (It's also AC) I took the speaker apart to look at the internal rechargeable batteries. Inside that are three smaller 3"x4"x1" rechargeable 7v batteries placed in series. Looking at the inside amplifier, I would say it has a greater drain then the MP3 Tech would ever have, so this information tells me I don't need very large external 9v gel-type battery. I could get away with smaller units in series or one 9v rechargeable gel battery.

The MP3 Tech most likely has a very smaller pre-amp would would drain more than my Pro-viper and Wiz-Kote (which are basically on/off units) but no where near the Anchor system. It is my guess that the NEW Fender 150 Passport PLUS doesn't have an external battery connection like its predecessor 150 Passport because of this 150 watt speaker system. Such a unit would drain a lot of battery power.

Just my thoughts. I know a little about electricity and electronics, and logic so use this information as you see fit.

If I go the external rechargeable battery rout for my MP3 Tech, I will update this postings.

Thanks for letting me know what WW said.
Dennis
I made the battery set up for my MP3Tech that Dennis Michael posted.

I made it was 3 9V batts. as Dennis suggested.

I put a thick rubberband around the batteries
to hold them in place.

Well it works GREAT.

I play pre-show-music, music and recordings during show and after show music.

Of course I check all batteries with a battery checker before I leave the house.

Like Martha Stewart says . . It's a good thing.

Thanks again Dennis.

Nez
And the batteries last a long time.