(Close Window)
Topic: Alan Wakeling's Liquid Sands
I am seeking the necessary gimmicks to perform this beautiful effect, as detailed by Jim Steinmeyer in "The Magic of Alan Wakeling".
It utilizes a gimmicked zombie-style glass (these are tall taperless glasses) with a bottomless nesting insert.
Originally, this gimmick came with an old effect called "Liquid Appear".

Any leads would be much appreciated as, so far, I've had no luck in locating them.
I had to reread the description to be sure what you needed.

I would go to a party store and get some disposable plastic glass. The try to find a glass that fits it. Try restuarant supply houses.

Hoe that helps.

Richard
Message: Posted by: amazingcarrington (Jul 13, 2008 11:50PM)
Richard is right. I actually have a set of the original "Liquid Appear" glasses which I was able to snag from Magic Inc. here in Chicago. When I went back to ask if they had any more, they suggested a similar thing as Richard.

Experiment with party glasses that nest smoothly. Cut out the bottom of one and you're all set.
When I do my Magic of Music show which uses the Wakeling illusion, I carry a set of the homemade glasses just in case the acetate ones in my original set break.

It's a great effect. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I've done the routine for several years and have had great luck with it.
All the best and good luck
Bazar de Magia currently markets an effect called "Comedy Glass in Paper Cone" which uses the exact same gimmicked glass as in the old Liquid Appear (but made much nicer from the looks of the demo video).

Unfortunately not in the tall style 'zombie' glass as specified in the Wakeling routine but this glass should work .

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Comedy-Glass-in-Paper-Cone-by-Bazar-de-Magia-Trick
Message: Posted by: amazingcarrington (Jul 14, 2008 11:17PM)
Thanks for the info. Worth checking out.
And if anyone is still looking here is another source for the necessary type of glass for Liquid Sands :

http://trickproduction.com/000000967413ac617/00000099c311e3c16.html
Message: Posted by: amazingcarrington (Sep 20, 2008 12:09AM)
David,
Thanks for providing that info. Have you seen one of these glasses? The original model that Wakeling talks about was put out by Magic Inc. (at least I think that's the source).
I know I purchased the last 3 glasses they had back 7 years ago when I first discovered this illusion.
However, the glasses were more of a cheaper looking restaurant variety.

The one's described in your last post appear to be cut glass.

That could really dress things up nicely.
Thanks again.

Carrington
I have the perfect glasses and am working on a process to create the perfect shells. I will keep you posted.

Jay
Message: Posted by: amazingcarrington (Sep 21, 2008 12:25AM)
Jay,,

You've got my attention!!! Please keep me posted...ok?

Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Carrington
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Sep 21, 2008 02:37PM)
I'd be interested as well!

Lou

louleventhal@aol.com
[quote]
On 2008-09-21 00:45, Jay Mahon wrote:
I have the perfect glasses and am working on a process to create the perfect shells. I will keep you posted.

Jay
[/quote]

I'm interested as well, Jay.
[quote]
On 2008-09-20 01:09, amazingcarrington wrote:
David,
Thanks for providing that info. Have you seen one of these glasses? The original model that Wakeling talks about was put out by Magic Inc. (at least I think that's the source).
I know I purchased the last 3 glasses they had back 7 years ago when I first discovered this illusion.
However, the glasses were more of a cheaper looking restaurant variety.

The one's described in your last post appear to be cut glass.

That could really dress things up nicely.
Thanks again.

Carrington
[/quote]

No, I haven't seen those glasses up close. I've only seen the ad, but I think you're right that they appear to be real glass. (at least the glass part , but not the feke) . The Bazar de Magia "glass" is plastic, but it's fine for what it is . Just not very elegant looking.

Of course neither were most of the glasses that were put out with the old "Liquid Appear" (I never saw a version made by Magic Inc. The only Liquid Appear I had/have is the one that was put out by D. Robbins' EZ Magic . Plain, but got the job done. The one I still have has a slightly yellowed feke. I'd be interested in getting a version that used something very clear , and very unbreakable like lexan . )
Message: Posted by: amazingcarrington (Sep 25, 2008 12:04AM)
David,

You're correct about the Robbin's EZ Magic version of glasses. They tend to yellow with age plus they were somewhat smaller in size.

The glasses that were available from Magic Inc. were larger and much nicer. Still plastic but a thicker and better made glass.
I spoke with Greg from Abbott's and he thought that Abbott's had actually made those for Magic Inc. The gimmicked addition to the glass was an acetate material and in the case of the ones I own, have stayed clear and avoided the yellowing.

I asked Greg if they could make them again and it seemed as though there wasn't enough demand for them to justify remaking them.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add that info.

All the best.
Carrington
[quote]
On 2008-09-25 01:04, amazingcarrington wrote:

I spoke with Greg from Abbott's and he thought that Abbott's had actually made those for Magic Inc. The gimmicked addition to the glass was an acetate material and in the case of the ones I own, have stayed clear and avoided the yellowing.

[/quote]

Who owns the manufacturing rights to Wakeling's material ?

Seems to me that there would be demand for it if someone (Abbott's or whomever) were to actually market the Wakeling routine with the necessary props. Obviously the description in the Wakeling book by Steinmeyer has captivated not a few of us . It's an appealing effect .
Ted Lesley secured the rights to this from Alan Wakeling before he died. He made up a few sets, then quit. The reason was that he couldn't get anyone to make up a set that didn't leak. It's a messy, unreliable effect if you can't get the precision necessary for the glasses.
Bill is right about the potential for a mess and a failed illusion if there's any leak.

I have 2 back up glasses but they wouldn't do me any good should something happen in the performance.

Believe me, it's on my mind every time I start the pouring process.

Still, a great illusion.

Carrington
[quote]
On 2008-10-01 18:05, Bill Palmer wrote:
Ted Lesley secured the rights to this from Alan Wakeling before he died. He made up a few sets, then quit. The reason was that he couldn't get anyone to make up a set that didn't leak. It's a messy, unreliable effect if you can't get the precision necessary for the glasses.
[/quote]

The Bazar De Magia "glass" (in plastic) is well made and won't leak. This is the glass they sell for their [url=http://www.bazardemagia.com/home.php?p=prod_detalle&idProducto=2678]"Comedy Glass in Paper Cone"[/url] effect . Quite usable for the Wakeling effect that we're talking about , though they are obviously not the taller, straight-sided [url=http://party.rainbow-rental.com/dinnerware/dinnerware_images/zombie.jpg]"zombie" style glasses[/url] that Wakeling's routine describes.

See attached photo .
Jay,

Any update on the glasses you mentioned back in September?
And has anyone taken the plunge on the Comedy Glass posted by David Todd?
So I tried it out today and it works! Definitely a cool routine and the glasses work great! I know I'm late to the party but someone can surely get some use out of this!
Illucifer, Bazar De Magia makes very nice plastic glasses. Completely clear, and not ribs or fluting on the sides to distort the insides. I purchased one for Alan Shaxon's opening number as described in his earlier books.

I see so many problems with this trick as it is dealing with liquids. Namely splashing and dripping of the liquid while pouring. I believe a lot of trial and error would be needed to find the correct height bucket to help control all this pouring.

Unless you are a very good actor, I believe the stirring action is a little overkill to be believable.

In the end, the trick does not sound that amazing or strong, and that is most likely why Wakeling never performed it in his act.
While I agree that it's not as strong as Sands I do like it. I haven't performed it for an audience though. I get great reactions with the Sands of the Desert routine as it's a strong piece of magic but willing to use this as a backup and at least try it out and see what people think. The bucket I used came from a clearance section at a home furnishing store. Works great and no spills. However the Bazar De Magia glasses do work as I splurged and got them to test out.
Bazar De Magia glasses are the ticket. I have done this with both the old Liquid Appear Glasses and the BDM ones and they both work fine. The BDM glasses are a little wider so you need a bigger bucket. I used a plastic bucket and then did a confetti toss gag at the end with the "leftover liquid" in the bucket.
The string action can be quite convincing. This is a subtly that should not be overlooked. When pouring the liquid in you want to be aware of the noise the liquid makes when pouring as not to "tell" that they are going into small receptacles.
Scott, what do you mean by "the string action", do you mean the stirring action?

----------------------------------------------------

Comedy Glass in Newspaper by Bazar de Magia

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9861
[quote]On Jun 27, 2015, Scott Alexander wrote:
Bazar De Magia glasses are the ticket. I have done this with both the old Liquid Appear Glasses and the BDM ones and they both work fine. The BDM glasses are a little wider so you need a bigger bucket. I used a plastic bucket and then did a confetti toss gag at the end with the "leftover liquid" in the bucket.
The string action can be quite convincing. This is a subtly that should not be overlooked. When pouring the liquid in you want to be aware of the noise the liquid makes when pouring as not to "tell" that they are going into small receptacles. [/quote]
Of course music will definitely cover up the sound but I agree. If you don't mean stirring then I too am confused about the string action. I like that you have a definite ending. I'm trying to come up with one myself.
For those members that are interested in quality magic, I just posted for sale my copy of the original hardbound copy of The Magic Of Alan Wakeling book with photo.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=611572&forum=78
That book is a rare gem...hope you get some good money for it, Bill!
The Cocktail by Gustavo Raley is a version of the Liquid sand effect (my wife calls it Wakeling Water)and comes with the equipment you need.
We have played with this routine to music, but still haven't found the right music and the right beats. I think with all the "toy" versions of waxed sand on the market, that this is a fresh approach. Still working on it to make it a performance piece.
Really enjoy the Wakeling book!
Twister Magic pirated the effect from Alan Wakeling book. Don't know if the handling in the video is on the DVD, but it is a little different, but I really don't like the finale. Ending by pouring the liquid from the bucket.

[youtube]I5LY3C-ALCM[/youtube]

This young man had a little different handling.

[youtube]cb_gLlQEWFQ[/youtube]

And yet another little different handling.

[youtube]Ljb4Eikxe4A[/youtube]

Nice to see some young minds are thinking outside the box.

I guess the high price $70.00 for 3 glasses and a DVD, is because of the DVD instructions.
Mr Hegbli, I'm curious about what you don't like about the pouring from the bucket ending? It seems to be a logical ending that automatically shows the bucket empty without having to make an extra anticlimactic gesture to show it empty. Is it that it isn't consistent with the removal of the first two colors?
Michael
[quote]On Mar 5, 2016, msillusions wrote:
Is it that it isn't consistent with the removal of the first two colors?
Michael [/quote]

That and without it there is no FINSH. Creating a "Cliffhanger" is part of the mystery.

All along, the audience is thinking - There is something in the bucket to make this work. The further are thinking, I want to see what is in the bucket. So they will "STAY TOONED" to follow what is happening. So they will not leave mentally or physically.

Finally, just pouring the blue liquid into a glass is not a great revelation of any kind, it is actually give the audience a feeling of being let down.

In addition, it does not complete the "Rule Of Three".

This all has to do with Showmanship as used in a magic performance.
Hello Bill Hegbli:

I advise you to first investigate and then write something, believe me it will make you a better person. This is one of the many reasons why I stopped visiting the magic forums. Too much people talking and talking with no base and no real knowledge at all. Today I was doing a research and find this post by you.

Let me tell you, that you are giving here a 100% false statement. (It is amazing how easy is for some people to sit behind a computer and write things that are not true at all)

First, let me begin by saying that this is NOT a product we produced or manufactured at Twister Magic. Instead this is a product that we only sell retail at our webiste, and that it is produce and created by Gustavo Raley from Argentina.

Second, this trick is indeed based on Alan Wakeling trick, but it have been considerably improved in the gimmicks used and in the handlings for all the routines, with other items that Alan Wakeling did not included in his book. I assume you have not purchase this trick so you have NO IDEA of what it comes with.

Fourth, so you have it very clear, we have NOT copy or as you say "pirated" any effect.

Fifth, this trick have a printed packaging box that says a Tribute to Alan Wakeling, so Alan Wakeling have been credited since the beginning, because it is indeed an improved version of the trick he describes in his book.

I am not going to disclosed and exposed here the addition and improvements of the method and the handling, if you are interested go online and purchase your own unit.

Please STOP judging things and products just by watching magic demos, do yourself a favor and when commenting at least have the delicacy of investigating further more or asking, before lying to your friends.

The Magic world deserves better!

George Iglesias.

[quote]On Mar 4, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Twister Magic pirated the effect from Alan Wakeling book. Don't know if the handling in the video is on the DVD, but it is a little different, but I really don't like the finale. Ending by pouring the liquid from the bucket.

[youtube]I5LY3C-ALCM[/youtube]

This young man had a little different handling.

[youtube]cb_gLlQEWFQ[/youtube]

And yet another little different handling.

[youtube]Ljb4Eikxe4A[/youtube]

Nice to see some young minds are thinking outside the box.

I guess the high price $70.00 for 3 glasses and a DVD, is because of the DVD instructions. [/quote]
George Iglesias, I did investigate the as shown by the 3 videos I posted. I do not have to buy something that is print and has been shown by 3 different young men, to see it is a poor "improvement" over the original Wakeling routine.

I stick by my assessment of the version you are selling. I personally don't care for it, as it is suffering from what I have said previously.

Those interested in your product has enough information to make up their own minds, if they wish to own Gustavo Raley, from Argentina, improvement's.
You are so easy to talk and judge by a video demo, this days everybody do the same, but you are fee to do what ever your heart guides yo too.

It is just my intention to leave here a very clear statement that you are wrong and lying. You don't know what are the improvements on the routine, because you have never had the trick in your hands, so you cannot tell. Judging a trick or routine just by watching a video demo does not make your opinion strong and loose credibility, how can you say "poor improvement" just by watching a video demo from your chair at home, if have never seen or have this trick in your hands?

I am not going to enter further in a discussion with you, is worthless. If you have any questions you either buy it or contact Gustavo Raley to Argentina to really know, but just so you understand very clear, Gustavo have not pirated any trick, he took an idea from Alan Wakeling´s book (Who is fully credited in the product since the beginning) and put a new thinking in the gimmick, the handling and the routine, so the trick have been clearly improved for better.

Good vibes and have a great day!

[quote]On May 10, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
George Iglesias, I did investigate the as shown by the 3 videos I posted. I do not have to buy something that is print and has been shown by 3 different young men, to see it is a poor "improvement" over the original Wakeling routine.

I stick by my assessment of the version you are selling. I personally don't care for it, as it is suffering from what I have said previously.

Those interested in your product has enough information to make up their own minds, if they wish to own Gustavo Raley, from Argentina, improvement's. [/quote]
I agree with 'msillusions' and think the effect ends as the 3rd liquid is poured from the bucket. This fits the rule of 3, and allows the audience to see the bucket is just a bucket without having to add any additional actions or anticlimactic ad hoc proving after the effect has finished.
Tonight at 8:00 PM, Master's of Illusion aired. There was a magician from Chicago, performing Liquid Sand using colored water. His presentation was excellent. I noticed he was using what looked like an Owen's Coin Pail (Lion knobs on sides of chrome bucket) to hold the glasses and liquid.

Don't know if this was a remake of the Alan Wakeling version or he used the Twister Magic props, but I must concede that it was a very good presentation and the ending did draw surprise.

His ending was pouring the blue colored water from the pail into a glass, showing it empty. His glasses seemed a little taller then what is available on the current market.
I found I have captured the repeat performance of The Masters of Illusion program yesterday. Bill Cook from Chicago was the magician who performed a version of Alan Wakeling's Liquid Sands effect.

After watching it several times, I come to the conclusion that he used the Twister method and presentation. I believe it was his performance with patter that brought the whole effect together and gave it more meaning and magical experience.

I have to change my original thoughts and opinion, and say that Twister Magic's version is more magical and puzzling. This is one effect that using patter, enhances the magic so the audience can follow along the experience of what is taking place.

Still available through Penguin Magic: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S25373
Is the performance of Bill Cook online?
[quote]On Sep 16, 2019, Frittentick wrote:
Is the performance of Bill Cook online? [/quote]

I searched and could not find any. I guess the CW Network does not allow any parts of their shows to be shown by others, even can't be shown by the performer as promotional material.

The CW network as posted 39 shows of their previously aired shows. I guess you could watch all 39 on their website and see if it is posted their. I checked and could not find the air dated show. It seems these may all be reruns from 2017, so they don't show the last air dates. Of course I am only guessing.