(Close Window)
Topic: Sankey's Ambitious Card finale????
Hi everyone,

some members mentioned that Jay Sankey has a nice ending for the Ambitious Card Routine in which he uses rubberbands to tie up the deck of cards (somewhat like Daryl's Ultimate Ambition).

My question is: on which video is it taught????

Thanks in advance

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
I believe that's on Sankeytized I.
It looks great and puts Daryl's ridiculous hunk of gimmick to shame. Why anyone would use Daryl's Ultimate Ambition is beyond me.
Platt- don't say that until I sell mine! ;)
Yes, Sankey's rubberband finale is very creative, easy to do, and extremely cheap to make...all you need is one rubberband.

I've tried it a few times as a closer and got great reactions!
Geesh...I think Darylls ambitious card finale is the biz...and it works well as I use the rope for a ring and rope routine, whilst getting the rope examined reasemble the deck...never seen as yet Sankeys rubber band finale...could someone please enlighten me...
Just my teo cents worth.
Vernon
What's the effect with the rubber band? I haven't seen it before..
Jay also has a very nice finale to the Ambitous Card from quite some time ago entitled "Top Card". I'd be curious what other magi bretheren approaches there are to this finish. It really is quite good. :wavey:
You lose the card in the deck and then put a rubberband around the deck. You let the spectator look at the top card to make SURE it's not his signed card. You snap your fingers and have them look again and it's their card. They can take it out themselves.
i use to have the card jump out by it self as an ending. i dropp the card at the table and then the card has turnd over in air. its prette good
I agree that Sankey's AC finale great. If you are creative, you will think of different ways to reveal the card at the end. There are plenty of ways f**p the deck.
Platt,
you wrote "Why anyone would use Daryl's Ultimate Ambition is beyond me."

1. Extremely convincing handling.If you could do real magic, you could do it exactly like this.
2. Extremely convincing effect.
3. A rubberband is simply ridiculous compared to a solid piece of rope.
I don't think a piece of rope looks any more natural. A rubberband seems more practical and logical and can actually be applied to Daryl's gimmick as well.
marko,
your're absolutely right. A piece of rope is far from natural in this context. But it's so *** convincing! People will instantly (and instinctly)realize that it's impossible to manipulate a deck of cards that is wrapped with rope.
Just one more thought: It's not only the ingenious gimmick that makes Daryl's effect so strong. The routining and the proper moment to ring in the gimmick are equally important.
[quote]
On 2003-04-02 18:40, Uli Weigel wrote:
1. Extremely convincing handling.If you could do real magic, you could do it exactly like this.[/quote]Sankey version is very direct and "magical" also.

[quote]2. Extremely convincing effect. [/quote]Sankeys effect is also very convincing.

[quote]3. A rubberband is simply ridiculous compared to a solid piece of rope.[/quote]A rubberband is an everyday thing that people use every day. A thick rubberband is not a "ridiculous" thing to use.

[quote]People will instantly (and instinctly)realize that it's impossible to manipulate a deck of cards that is wrapped with rope. [/quote]And why is a deck tightly wrapped in a thick rubberband any less "impossible" to manipulate in the eyes of a layman?

I like daryl's gaff, but IMHO the sankey one is a lot more practical. (no deck switch, no cleanup, and it's dirt cheap and easy to do)
Yeah, I love the cleverness of Daryl's gimmick and appreciate the thought that went into it, but I still think there are more practical and equally amazing ways to end an AC routine.
I made my own ultimate ambition gimmick but I have yet to use it. Its really only practical in a limited circumstances.
I think Sankey is too clever for his own good. I haven't seen, or even heard, of this effect but will go on searching. I LOVE all of his material. What's really nice is that he mostly uses stuff that's already lying around on the tables therefor keeping expenses WAY down. Anyone who hasn't had the privilege of seeing his work is really in for a treat.
Dude the effect the are talking about is awesome. So so clever, next time we hang out I'll do it for ya. Try and catch me, haha

LAter,
Keith
Why even bother to slate Daryls Ultimate Ambition. As far as I am concerned it is an absolutely ingenious gimmick. You can't knock it cos every time that I have used it I have got great reactions.
It is the ultimate as the audience is oblivious to the fact that you have switched in the gimmick, and that just makes it all the more impressive.
When you all talk of sankeys, is that the one where you put the band around it in such a way that when you toss it from opne hand to the other it flies out of the deck?
[quote]
On 2003-04-04 06:39, Eddy wrote:

When you all talk of sankeys, is that the one where you put the band around it in such a way that when you toss it from opne hand to the other it flies out of the deck?
[/quote]No, that's not it.

We're discussing his "Rubber room rise" which is found on one of the [i]Sanketized[/i] tapes and also in a small book he wrote early in his career with Richard Saunders. I think it's called [i]When worlds collide[/i].
It's also in the first year of Magic Menu although it's not credited to Sankey there. Maybe he's not the originator.
I have seen Daryl's gimmick before and I am thinking it that a complete wrap with rope is more impressive than the rubberband, but I would love to see the effect with a rubber band.
[quote]
On 2003-04-04 10:41, ixnay66 wrote:
It's also in the first year of Magic Menu although it's not credited to Sankey there. Maybe he's not the originator.
[/quote]Perhaps. Or maybe he just didn't get credited.

Great routine regardless of whoever thought it up first. :)
It was actually credited to someone else there I think. When I get home I'll take a look unless someone here has access to The Magic Menu - The First Five Years to look at this afternoon.
[quote]
On 2003-04-01 22:32, Platt wrote:
I believe that's on Sankeytized I.
It looks great and puts Daryl's ridiculous hunk of gimmick to shame. Why anyone would use Daryl's Ultimate Ambition is beyond me.
[/quote]

Because it looks awesome and fools people. Why would you use any magic? Why would you use anything? Even if Sankey's is better that doesn't this one sucks.
I first saw the rubber band finale in Magic Menu Volume 1, Issue 2 in "Tricks of the Trade." It was credited to Skip Sansoucie and called "Ambitious Card Finale."
That was the Nov/Dec 1990 issue.
Has Jay released or republished this move on any of his more recent videos/notes?
[quote]
On 2003-04-05 10:37, ixnay66 wrote:
I first saw the rubber band finale in Magic Menu Volume 1, Issue 2 in "Tricks of the Trade." It was credited to Skip Sansoucie and called "Ambitious Card Finale."
That was the Nov/Dec 1990 issue.
[/quote]Hey Ixnay. I've got the "When Creators Collide" book (by Sankey and Sanders) and it shows that Sankey published his "Rubber Room Rise" in 1987 predating the magic menu thing by a good three years. I guess it could have been independently invented, but who knows for sure? It's tough to really know in some of these cases.

[quote]
On 2003-04-06 05:21, Martino wrote:
Has Jay released or republished this move on any of his more recent videos/notes?
[/quote]As was mentioned by someone earlier, itt can be found on his "Sankeytized #1" video which I'm pretty sure is still being produced.
I've been using the Daryl gimmick with the deck wrapped in a dollar bill and secured by the fat rubber bands you get with brocolli bundles.
This post is a year old.....ha

I reackon he must know by now :)
[quote]
On 2003-04-03 18:00, Geoff Weber wrote:
I made my own ultimate ambition gimmick but I have yet to use it. Its really only practical in a limited circumstances.
[/quote]

Oooooh!
I also made one, but mine was a cruder version, because I put a more limited effort into the construction. That was due to my more limited abilities in regards to constructing things :). I've actually performed with mine several times, and the reactions were great to very great. But it was home-made and vulnerable to wear and eventually fell apart.
But it was, however, fairly easy to make again, though I haven't got around to it yet. I would say how I made it differently than Daryl, but of course that would expose it so if by some strange chance you want to know, PM me.
I like Daryl's version but the Sankey rubber band version is very natural & no need for a deck switch. It's my favorite method for ending the Amb Card.
Steve
Why not simply use the "bent card" ending? I think it is very strong, and you do not need to introduce any additional props, be it a rubberband or a rope. Does anyone have any comments on that?
The bent card ending is good, but the idea of wrapping a rope or a rubber band around the deck is almost like you are setting up challenge or test conditions. Very strong, psychologically.
OK this sankey finisher sounds really good. So did we come to a decision on where this can be found?
I know this is an old thread, but looking for some clarification on the Top Card and Rubber Rise on sankeytized 1. Could someone who has it explain what happens to me please (don't want to know how it happens, just to be clear). I have seen Jay Sankey do something where a deck is wrapped in band and thown from one hand to other and selection appears face up, still under the band. Is this the same trick as the one in sankeytized? Does this version use a gimmick or is it just a rubber band thing?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Let's say both are good.
As far as for entertainment value, for stage, a rope might look better than a rubberband from a distance.
As far as for entertainment value, for close up, a rubberband might look better than a rope.
Not always all or nothing here, depends on performance circumstances.
Just my 1 cent.
Rklew64: do you have the sankey version? or just talking generically about rope version and rubber band version.

Regards - paul
The effect is part of his Extremely Ambitious dvd. Along with some other fantastic Ambitious Card moves.
http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48180
In sankeys video he uses a card to wallet effect, are all wallets practical for this effect? Can someone name the Wallet sankey is using if possible thanks so much.

Ja
Here is the effect, Paul...

You (really) put the signed card in the middle of the deck. You introduce a rubber band and wrap the deck in it. Spectator is asked to lift up the top card under the banded deck - not the signed card. The spec puts out their hand, deck placed on it. SNAP. You don't touch the deck, spec can remove top card - it is the signed card.

It is how I always end ACR unless I don't have a rubber band with me. I've done the effect without the rubber band but the band makes it.
[quote]On Apr 2, 2003, ixnay66 wrote:
You lose the card in the deck and then put a rubberband around the deck. You let the spectator look at the top card to make SURE it's not his signed card. You snap your fingers and have them look again and it's their card. They can take it out themselves. [/quote]

Sounds like the out to lunch principle ? Tom