(Close Window)
Topic: Menu of Miracles vol. 1 and 2 by James Prince - Review
Hiya all,

Well first off let me say I am not the best person to do a review of a product but I'll give this my best shot. What I am going to do is review the effects on here, James does go into various other advice such as tips, How much to charge, right restaurant, etc., and this advice is like he states 'gold dust'. I have been performing at a restaurant myself for other 8 years and have added a few little tips to my act.

Where to buy - http://www.rsvpmagic.com

Repeat Travelers - Three cards vanish from the deck and then appear in the magicians pockets, put back in the deck and then vanish again

I say - very clever, to be honest with you the method flew right by me and the method is great, one that is going to require a little work to get as smooth as James does it, but I think this routine is worth it, an ideal opener as it is fast and snappy.

Mirrors - is a unique finish to a card routine, placing the deck into the spectators hands, they solidify into five solid blocks of mirror

I say - this is just great, it is an ideal ending to a card routine, james does a very short ambitious card type routine and then ends with this climax, but this type of ending can be brought in to any card routine whenever you want to finish a card act, I think this is a jaw dropper!

Multiple Cards To Pocket - six signed cards are lost in the deck and instantly vanish, appearing in every trouser pocket including one in a selaed envelope!

I say - another very great visual routine, again can be used as an opener, but there are some techniques you will need to get down before performing this, this again is certainly worth the effort.

Card over/under and in matchbox - a freely selected card jumps under, over and finally inside a matchbox that is in full view the entire time

I say - another very powerful effect and the built in misdirection is superb! it got me and I was watching it on TV/DVD, you can see the reactions on the spectators faces and they cannot believe what has just happened during the course of the effect, brilliant routining!

Ring in pepper pot illusion - a borrowed ring vanishes and reappears inside a clear pepper pot that is sitting on the table

I say - brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, excuse the cliche but this one is worth the price of the whole set, this one piece is bloody great! a little bit of preparation is needed to perform this, and James has kindly offered to make one for me, what a guy!!!

Impromptu Anniversary Waltz - use any deck and no double face cards.

I say - another excellent routine, there are some subtle convincers in this routine which have me convinced to try this one out, again the reactions on the spectators is great, complete shock!

Cups And Balls At Speed - boy is this a fast cups and balls routine, using three cups and only three balls, still didn't see the final loads being loaded, strong quick visual routine

Easiest Bill In Kiwi - yep the name of this trick says it all, I have always shyed away from this type of effect due to using a TT which I have never been a fan of to be honest, this effect uses no TT and there is not a bill change in sight!

Kiwi Finese - a great little addition to the routine, which will throw off the wise guys!

Shoot The Kiwi - this is a method whereby there isn't the usual method of preparation, this is one I'll be trying out for sure, reminds me of a card to envelope, if you know this method you'll know what I mean

Blue Card - a signed card which was red turns blue and ends up being a prediction card in your wallet, a very fast snappy routine, I like this one a lot after a second viewing

Brain Freeze - a very visual packet trick, where cards turn face up, face down then change backs again and then finally turns into a royal flush, very visual!

Signed Card Through Window - yet another method of doing this classic effect, however this is a method I have not seen before, this is so darn clever!!! I'll be trying this out for sure.

You can see more descriptions of the effects on the website I have listed above, and see a few demos of the effects performed. I really do like this set and think I have got more than my moneys worth out of about 3-4 of the effects out of this DVD set. Highly recommended!
I agree with Daren, this is an excellent set of DVD's.

It's very clear that James has been doing restaurant magic for many years and I really enjoyed what he had to say. The advice is extremely useful and to be honest the highlight of the DVD's for me. He mentioned several things that I hadn't thought about before - this guy really knows what he's talking about!

The magic is very strong indeed and on several occasions the spectators were seriously stunned - as was I on a couple of occasions!

The ring in Pepper Shaker is a remarkable effect and the few who will go to the trouble of making the prop will have a real reputation maker.

His Cups & Balls routine is the fastest I've ever seen and the final loads are introduced before the effect has barely started. If I were looking to add this classic to my repertoire, this would be the routine I would learn.

His Bill in Kiwi contains a rather wonderful switch which will fly past everyone. Those who have previously found kiwi's rather cumbersome to "shuttle pass" will be delighted with James' solution.

The Card in Matchbox is another powerful routine with lots of strong in-built misdirection to help get the job done. This is James' signature routine and it's easy to see why.

I should mention that much of the card material is far from self-working. Several of the effects require mastery of the Diagonal Palm Shift. While James explains the technique pretty well, it will take some work to get down.

One thing that I would have liked to have seen on the DVD is some comments on actually getting the restaurant to hire you. James does discuss choosing a restaurant, fees, tips and approaching a table, but advice on getting hired would have been the icing on the cake.

To sum up, if you work, or want to work in restaurants I think you'll find these DVD's very useful Ė I know I did.

Iain.
I agree with what has already been said. The information givin on these DVDs are gold dust, there are things said on this set that ive never heard said on other DVDs that cover the same topic. If a pro like Iain Moran (star of covert magic which is also exellent) can learn from these, imagine what a mortal like myself can learn. The effects on the set are also exellent, there are no pipe dreams and can find there way into anyones restaurant routine. A few of my favourites are THE WORLDS EASIEST BILL IN KIWI, RING IN PEPPERPOT, SIGNED CARD THRU WINDOW and CUPS AND BALLS AT SPEED because I don't have anything like this in my routine, so they will getting added as soon as possible. IMPROMTU ANNIVERSARY WALTZ is also really good and doesw what is says on the tin. I already do an impromtu version called Hula Fusion by Carl Andrews but this has some really great ideas so I'm thinking of ways to combine the two. As Iain said some effects require use of the diagonal card shift, and I think its a Larry Jennings variation which looks really good when in the hands of Mr Prince, but I cant seem to get it so ive gone back to the Erdnase version from The Expert At The Card Table. I did contact Mr Prince about construction for one of the effects and I got a speedy helpful reply back giving me all the information I need, thanks James.

I would recommend these dvds to anyone who is wanting to do close up magic in a restaurant.

Sean
Any other reviews?
Ican not do another review for this DVD's, because english is not my first languege but my thinking about this set.
The effects are all "classic effects" but other like the sponge balls or Ambitious Card rarly seen. So you have material that not every other magician has in his shows. All are so practical that they can be performed in real world contitions. But for me the routines are really great but what James Prince is talking about the business are so fantastic and I think it is pur gold! He is a pro and he is talking about the real secrets of this business!
Frank
Frank, your English is better than mine and most folks I know. Thanks for your thoughts!
Just received James Princeís Menu of Miracles DVDís and I am very disappointed.
I would say that the effects on the DVD are very clever and James is obviously very experienced at what he does, and these effects must have taken a long time and hard work to put together. But are most of the effects really practical for the majority of magicians?

Most of the effects take a lot of preparation and where do you find the materials?

James has a custom made pockets for his effects, how many magicians use these many pockets? His jacket is quite big.

How many magicians would carry four pieces of fruit and three good size cups around for a close up gig?

Just my personnel opinion but I buy DVDís to learn new effects and maybe use some of them in my work. Although these effects are very good to watch I cannot see many magicians using the effects. I donít think James needs worry about many other magicians using any of his effects.

After watching the DVDís I feel a little cheated knowing that I will never probably use any of these effects, due to the difficulty in making the props and finding the materials.

With all due respect I think James should have spent more time explaining the Diagonal palm shift rather than going on about his Canadian accent at the end of the DVD.

Although clever stuff to watch, I believe most of the effects would take a lot of preparation and the majority of magicians would not bother.

Still never mind another set of DVDís to hide away in the cupboard forever.

Anyone want them for a tenner?

Chris
[quote]
On 2008-08-08 06:42, illusion123 wrote:
Just received James Princeís Menu of Miracles DVDís and I am very disappointed.
I would say that the effects on the DVD are very clever and James is obviously very experienced at what he does, and these effects must have taken a long time and hard work to put together. But are most of the effects really practical for the majority of magicians?

Most of the effects take a lot of preparation and where do you find the materials?

James has a custom made pockets for his effects, how many magicians use these many pockets? His jacket is quite big.

How many magicians would carry four pieces of fruit and three good size cups around for a close up gig?

Just my personnel opinion but I buy DVDís to learn new effects and maybe use some of them in my work. Although these effects are very good to watch I cannot see many magicians using the effects. I donít think James needs worry about many other magicians using any of his effects.

After watching the DVDís I feel a little cheated knowing that I will never probably use any of these effects, due to the difficulty in making the props and finding the materials.

With all due respect I think James should have spent more time explaining the Diagonal palm shift rather than going on about his Canadian accent at the end of the DVD.

Although clever stuff to watch, I believe most of the effects would take a lot of preparation and the majority of magicians would not bother.

Still never mind another set of DVDís to hide away in the cupboard forever.

Chris
[/quote]

I don't have this set yet, but don't understand what you're so angry about. You have a website that says you do everything from close-up shows to trade shows and says

"Kris Krendo is an Award Winning Magician and a Member of the world famous Magic Circle, with over 20 years experience entertaining all over the country from small private parties to high profile corporate events"

and you need help with a Diagonal palm shift? This is your first post on the Cafť. Do you know James Prince and have some sort of grudge against him?

I have Tommy Wonder's L&L DVD set and don't use any of the magic from them. Some of it requires expensive props, etc. yet it's one of my favorite sets. I enjoy seeing working professionals and how they perform.

You said " the effects on the DVD are very clever and James is obviously very experienced at what he does..." and then you slam the effects because there is prep to them.

You also say "Although these effects are very good to watch I cannot see many magicians using the effects". Perhaps they can learn something form watching them? Maybe they can take an effect and streamline it for what they do?

Anyone else have these?
Hi Kris,

I'm sorry that you feel that way about the DVDs. To be honest I don't understand your problem regarding the preparation for some of the effects. James uses these routines night after night and what is on the DVDs is his complete professional working set. Preparing your pockets for one of the routines is surely not a problem unless you just want self-working material that is ready to go without any effort at all. Once made, the trousers are set and ready to go for a long, long time. I know that James prepares his Kiwis before each show and if taking less than a minute to prepare something is too much bother for you, then I don't really know what to say! Seeing the reactions that James gets, I'd say it's a minute well spent!

Best,
Russ
I purchased these DVD's and I liked them. As illusion123 (Chris) mentioned above about obtaining props, he's right in regards to at least one of the effects. "Ring to Pepper Pot." This will take some searching but would definitely be worth it.....
This DVD also prompted me to learn the Diagonal Palm Shift. I never used that sleight before but I will now because of his card to pockets routine.. No it was not taught adequately on the DVD but there are many sources. John Carney's DVD on palming covers the sleight very well.

I agree with Ian Moran's above post. Lot's of great ideas. I liked his Card Through Window idea and the Bill in Kiwi variation. I'm happy with my purchase.
David Paul
Just back from my annual holiday and would like to personally address the points raised by Kris Krendo in his posting (illusion123 - dated 8th August)

Kris writes -
I would say that the effects on the DVD are very clever and James is obviously very experienced at what he does, and these effects must have taken a long time and hard work to put together. Most of the effects take a lot of preparation and where do you find the materials?

James replies -
Preparation falls into two categories - One Off Preparation (for example sewing a holder into a jacket) and Routine Preparation which you have to do before each and every show.
Only one effect on the DVDs requires any significant routine preparation and there are many routines that require no preparation whatever.
Only one routine uses anything that is not available in routine shops and DIY outlets and if entered on to Google this can be found in about 10 seconds. If anyone's really stuck, I'm more than happy to help out.

Kris writes -
James has custom made pockets for his effects, how many magicians use this many pockets? His jacket is quite big.

James replies -
I use the Carl Cloutier trouser pocket in two of my effects, all other routines can be performed with normal trousers.
All routines can be performed with a normal jacket and often are!

Kris writes -

James replies -
Is this a joke? - Any one who performs the cups and balls!
Michael Ammar - David Williamson - Michael Vincent - the list is almost endless!

Kris writes -
Although these effects are very good to watch I cannot see many magicians using the effects.

James replies -
This is the first time I've released any of my material and it was only Russ Steven's arm twisting that finally got me to do so. Having done so, I've been watching the DVDs progress like an anxious parent whose kids just started school.
Since the release I'm thrilled to say that I've been exchanging emails with magicians all over the world, who not only intend to perform the effects but are already doing so. One very clever German (Frank) has already come up with some rather good variations, which I'm looking forward to trying out.

Kris writes -

James replies -
If you accept Paypal I will be more than pleased to take them off your hands, as demand looks to exceed supply and I would like to find them a new home

All the best to everyone who has bought the DVDs and a special thank-you to those who leapt to their defence, having them mentioned in the same paragraph as Tommy Wonder's felt pretty good too!
Now, James, I'm afraid I have to correct you: David Williamson does a two cup routine, why would he carry a third? ;-)

Vol. 2 is on its way over to me, I'll be sure to chime in when I've watched it.
[quote]
On 2008-08-09 09:50, Doctor D wrote:
David Williamson does a two cup routine, why would he carry a third? ;-)

[/quote]
So he can do his "Is that a third cup in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?" gag.
For me the highlight on this DVD's is that this routines can not be seen from every magician like the ACR or sponge balls.
Ok it is also for me not practical to have the cups in my pocket, but if I have them in the bag with me it is fine and the routine by itself is very practical.
It is much esier to have four coins and a deck of cards in your pockets at your shows, but with this routines your are on another level and think about to use this routines in a formal show! For me this set of DVD's is super!
Well spotted Doctor D - of the 'endless' list of three cup routine performers, I had to pick someone who famously used two cups only

Still think of the pocket space that carrying TWO good sized cups entails - not to mention those heavy wooden lemons!
[quote]
On 2008-08-08 06:42, illusion123 wrote:

Chris
[/quote]

Is this 10 quid or 10 dollars or...? Does it include shipping?
I just got these and will watch and review.
[quote]
On 2008-08-10 05:42, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I just got these and will watch and review.
[/quote]
Great, I'm sure you'll only have good things to say about James and his work.
Well, I just watched "Mirrors" and the ending shocked me ( I can only imagine the impact it has on a spectator ). James Prince is a delightful performer and if the rest of the DVD's have the impact "mirrors" has, then I'm in for a real treat.
Firstly I want to say sorry if I have offended anyone with my review on James Prince DVD, I thought I was allowed an opinion. It seems Christopher Kavanagh as taken my opinion the wrong way and decided to have a go at me. I do not have a grudge against James Prince and just because I do not perform the Diagonal shift palm, does not mean I am not a competent magician. This is just my opinion.

Every magician performs a different style of magic and James Prince is an excellent magician, but from my own personnel point of view I prefer effects that are a little more straight forward and do take as much preparation as the effects on this DVD.
This does not mean I am lazy and am not prepared to make anything for the sake of a good effect.

I have purchased many DVDís from rsvpmagic.com and the productions of the DVDís are excellent and I have always got something out of everyone purchased except this one. The Martin Sanderson DVDís are excellent and even though preparation is involved in some of the effects, they are more straightforward and I have used them.

Iím afraid ďanyone want them for tennerĒwas said tongue in cheek.
The James Prince DVD obviously appeals to a lot of people according to the forum but not me Iím afraid. The DVDís are well worth the money to someone who is prepared to put the effort in to find the materials and make them to perform some of the effects.

This is not a personnel dig at anyone especially James Prince, just my personnel opinion of the DVD.

Kris Krendo
Well, it's 4 a.m. here and I just watched volume one and was properly smoked. James Prince fooled the pants off me. I have performed Larry Jennings' "Ambidextrous Travelers" for 15 years and rewound ( sorry, still using VHS terms ) James' "Repeat Travelers" 5 times and couldn't understand how he did it. DIABOLICAL it is!

Kris Krendo, after watching volume one, your "review" is even more suspect. James went over the diagonal palm shift quite well.

You're allowed to not like a Magician, their style, or the effects they perform. But what you write has to make sense. After watching volume one, I can say your review makes zero sense.

Can you honestly say you watched him perform "Repeat Travelers" and weren't fooled badly?
Pleeeeeeeeeease can we get some mirror decks on the market!
I read a review where the fellow liked the "Mirrors" effect but didn't feel he'd replace it with his "Omni Deck". That's fine. The Omni deck can be gold to a performer.

But, the ancient layperson's assumption that we use mirrors ties in beautifully with this effect.
I also read the review where - the fellow liked the "Mirrors" effect but didn't feel he'd replace it with his "Omni Deck"

Two thoughts -

1. The most interest I've had in "Mirrors" has come from people who use "Omni Deck" - they view it as a great way to use the same lead in sequence and end some where different.

2. A thread that runs through my work is that everything I use must be 'normal', so I was slightly turned off by "Omni Deck", of course this has to be taken in the context of someone who already had "Mirrors" up and running and also one other variation (next DVD maybe?).
If the thought that the mirrors are not "normal" crosses your mind, show them to your wife and she will be totally at home with them.

Also because I'm rapidly coming to realise that the wider magic fraternity, do not regard a hacksaw and sandpaper as "normal" - I'm going to get some sets made up.
I sure there must be an etiquette about this sort of thing in the Cafť - so I will let everyone know through approved channels, when their done

James
Thanks james for sorting this
I was going to try the mirrors as you have routined it on the dvd
but also for repeat bookings
I have a corporate event coming up, and it will be my fourth time with them
so this will work nicely as a n alternative ending than the omni
thanks james
matt
ps. the email you sent me with the sequence photos, I couldn't open the attachment??
I'm going to write up a proper review in the next day, but don't wait for me to decide in gettng this set. These aren't just "tricks" DVD's, but important work on the subject of working restaurants. The magic is bloody brilliant.

The advice segments were golden. The talk on tips should be preached everywhere.

I'll save the rest for my review.
I have just been watching Volume 2, so here are a few of my thoughts:

- One thing I should mention, is that James' style is very different from mine. I have always been taught to, and believe I should, go slow; James' way of performing reminded me a lot of Paul Daniels' Chop Cup routine, with the difference that the latter is done tongue in cheek. I got the feeling that the audience couldn't fully absorb the magic, or at least that would be the case had I been performing in James' spot. Then again, I wasn't, and I'm sure he knows best what works hor hŪm.
Unfortunately, that also made the DVD less entertaining for me.

- Cups and Balls: I am of the school that likes to take its time with this routine: multiple phases, bits o' business, and THEN hitting them with the loads. This would also make the Cups a 'special table' kind of thing, which I don't mind.

- Loved the different ways of achieving Bill in Kiwi. I would probably only do the third one (Shoot the Kiwi); why run the risk of having an unexaminable piece of fruit anyway, if I only have to carry one piece per performance?
The way of getting into the trick (with a guessing game) isn't for me, but that is easily fixed.

- Brainfreeze was, for me, an endless chain of thrown away climaxes, apparently done just to get to the signed card and the royal flush. Not only is the fact of more cards than apparent blatantly confessed; if you can change a card twice, you can change it a kazillion times... where's the build?
Slightly contradicting himself, James says it's the perfect packet trick because "there's hardly any set-up", yet two sentences late: "There's quite a bit of set-up, let's get into it." Wha?

- Card in Wallet seemed almost a throw-away as well: first a build-up, then a wham-bam-thank you ma'am 'told you I could do it' reveal.

- Card through Window: Clever? Yes. Bold? Definitely. Fooled me badly, though, and the ending is totally clean. Definitely worth the effort.
I have watched the James Prince two DVD set multiple times. The DVD's are filmed in a real restaurant, for real people. It has the same wonderful quality that one of my other favorite magic DVD sets, Party animal, has. Both are produced by the folks at R.S.V.P. Magic. The DVD's are beautifully filmed and produced.

James has a charismatic personality that is paired with eye for what works in close-up magic. No long, tedious, drawn out effects here. These are work horses. I was properly fooled by much of what he performed, even though I was familiar with many of the plots.

Daren started this thread off with a fine, detailed review, so let me touch on some of the effects that hit home with me from Volume One ( Volume two tomorrow ).

MIRRORS Ė Placing the deck INTO THE SPECTATOR'S HANDS, they solidify into five solid pieces of Mirror!

OK, there's much more to it than that. After a short, signed card, ambitious routine ensues, the deck is then placed into their hands and the signed card is removed from the Magi's pocket. They spread their hands and there are 5 mirrors.

The mirrors fooled me. James put the deck in their hands and cards moved around. I didn't see it coming and neither will they.

REPEAT TRAVELLERS Ė James's version of Larry Jennings' "Ambidextrous Travelers". He shows a 3 and 4 card version.

Brilliant!!!! I watched it over and over and over and even though I've done this effect for 15 years, I was not only fooled, I couldn't figure it out.

With all due respect to Larry and his brilliant routine, Jame's version, for me, works better. It just flows smoother. Larry's routine had some uncomfortable moments for me, that James's version eliminates.

MULTIPLE CARDS TO POCKETS Ė Up to six signed cards are lost in the deck and instantly vanish, appearing in every trouser and jacket possible including one in a sealed envelope!

It's Repeat Travellers for those times you have larger tables. Signed Cards appear in pockets, wallets, envelopes and..inside a matchbox

CARD OVER/UNDER AND IN MATCHBOX Ė A freely selected and signed card jumps under, over, and finally INSIDE a matchbox.

This is an incredible routine. It's got a 3 card monte, card under drink, element to it. The signed card ends up, folded inside a matchbox that has been in play all along and...no shuttle pass, the signed card is in the box and they remove it.

CHOOSING THE RIGHT VENUE Ė James tells you how to select the best restaurants to work. He has some wonderful thoughts on the subject and a genuine plan to follow.

RING IN PEPPER-POT ILLUSION Ė James' signature piece in which a borrowed ring vanishes and reappears INSIDE a clear pepper-pot that is sitting on the table.

Well, you'd freak people out with this routine. I was surprised James didn't market this, but he teaches everyone how to make their own. James goes into great detail on construction and performance of this beautiful piece of magic.

IMPROPMTU ANNIVERSARY WALTZ Ė James Prince's take on this classic trick. Use ANY DECK and NO GIMMICKED CARDS.

Here's why I like this very much. I perform the gaff version. But, I only perform that for actual anniversaries or weddings. I wouldn't perform it 20 times a night ( that's right, it's for those times they pay for my services ).

But it is good to have in your arsenal a piece of magic for couples that leave them a special feeling. This version is easy and it's a fun routine. James has several subtle convincers to make it look like two different cards. I REALLY like this routine.
I've watched Volume two several times and here's my thoughts on it.

TABLE APPROACH Ė Learn the correct way to approach a table for the first time.
Jamesís advice is gold. It touches on what many lack: common sense. This advice could save you a bruised ego and perhaps your job.

CUPS AND BALLS AT SPEED :
There are guys that do full cup and ball routines in restaurants. When I ask them how they can do it without being interrupted, they say they do get interrupted and then continue.

Well, I hated being interrupted when I worked restaurants. It ruins the effects. Sure, it happens, but I tried to do what I could to minimize it from happening. That means streamlining effects. You can do that without diluting them. As far as the cups, all they will remember from any cups routine is that there were cups and the final loads, whatever they may be.

So, I love Jamesís routine. He lets them look at the cups and little balls and they place the cups over the 3 balls. And..weíre off and running. Itís more like a 3 shell game or monte game, with 3 balls jumping round and gathering under one cup and then the big surprise finish.

James then offers a trieste on bill in kiwi. From incredible, dead easy methods, to one that can have the spectator cutting open the fruit and removing the bill. Itís called SHOOT THE KIWI and it is diabolical. James tips the real work on this little miracle.

FEES Ė A discussion about what to charge and how to get the best out of your chosen restaurants.

This advice can only come from someone with years of experience in this type of venue. Anyone that has an opinion on TIPS should here what James has to say.

BLUE CARD Ė A fast and amazing signed card in wallet with a kicker ending that you WILL use.

James offers some valuable tips on how to personalize this for special occasions. You will fool people badly with this version.

BRAIN FREEZE Ė The easy-to-do packet trick that James has been performing for over ten years!

It's fast and and the climaxes just keep coming. Of course I love it because it uses a signed card from another trick. Theyíve forgotten about the card, so itís quite a surprise when it shows up in the new trick.

TIPS James offers his views on this subject and I think it should be heard by anyone working in restaurants, no matter how many years.

SIGNED CARD THRU WINDOW hereís what the description says: James' classic version that takes the effect to a whole new level. A freely selected cards is signed and then corner given to the spectator with part of his signature still on it. The deck is then thrown at the restaurant window and INSTANTLY the SIGNED card is seen stuck to the other side of the window, Spectator takes his corner piece outside and removes the card from the other side. The corner matches exactly with their signature! NO CONFEDERATES.

Well, itís all true. And anyone can do this. Even if you donít work restaurants, but are at a friendís house during a party of some sort, you could have fun doing this.

Well, I love this DVD set. It was filmed live in a restaurant and the magic is over the top, fantastic. The advice segments were worth the price of the set.
I have just seen volume 1 till now. Felt it was a mixed bag. Wasn't impressed by some of it.
[quote]
On 2008-08-16 07:09, Chanku wrote:
I have just seen volume 1 till now. Felt it was a mixed bag. Wasn't impressed by some of it.
[/quote]

Can you elaborate a bit? What does a mixed bag mean to you? What did you think of "Repeat Travelers"?

Do you perform in restaurants? If so, what does a typical set for you consist of?
Dare I offer a review? Well yes, here goes..
I have not held a residency at a restaurant before (normally working parties, corporate and weddings) but want to look at this area of work, so I purchased Vol.2.
Other RSVP products such as Corporate Close Up and Mix 'n' Mingle are treasured resources in my collection. This DVD is of the same quality.
Cups and Balls at speed:
I loved this punchy routine- I have a chop cup and two cup routine, this can be done in the same small space. If the audience was receptive, then I would slow the first phase (I'm not practiced enough to go at James's speed yet anyway!).
Kiwi routines:
A brilliant resource. As stated on 'Corporate Close Up', a kiwi routine really does generate lasting memories (and work!). It's good to see an alternative to the traditional bill switch, which is easily adaptable (although I like using the bill switch to swap a note for a cheque or an I.O.U.).
Blue Card:
The main appeal to me was the principle of personalising this competent trick to a special occassion, such as a birthday / retirement etc.
Brain freeze:
Gulp... I admired the work, but won't be learning this just yet, as I think it will 'lose' people compared to other 'packet' tricks (I use Stickman 4 and a 3 card monte variant). That James still performs this, means that I am undoubtedly wrong, but hey - there's still room for honest opinions here isn't there?!
Card through window:
Very strong, IF circumstances allow (e.g. not the restaurant at the top of the Eiffel Tower!)
The advice:
As stated elsewhere, James really does make some very good points, which I could not fault. James presents his work in a clear, articulate manner.
General:
I often work with a magician who prefers not to spend ages preparing gimmicks etc. The Kiwi routine really does not take much time, and offers a huge return on the effort invested. I liked seeing the inside of James's pocket (ooh er! - his pocket management I meant!). I believe that while 'anytime anywhere' is great, preparation for paid work (be it clothing, props or whatever) is extremely important.
Puggo's rating:
An excellent buy, but don't expect to be spoon fed every basic (e.g. if you have never done cups & balls, consider getting Ammar's c&b for the ground work).
Value for money - Brilliant. I instantly picked up one new trick (c&b) which I can't wait to use. Blue card and the Kiwi work will be adapted / incorporated into what I use already. James's advice - priceless. I'll certainly be getting Vol.1.
Oh and if you only buy volume two, I don't think (but I reserve the right to be wrong!)the diagonal palm shift if taught - as used in the 'Blue Card' trick. This is not a sleight that I use, but the routine is easily adapted.
James's big move in his arsenal is the deadly diagonal plam shift. He uses it often and teaches it quite well.

You could double undercut and do an Erdnase bottom palm. But the DPS is faster and less moves.
MJM Magic has a great video clip on their site:

[url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/menu-of-miracles-vol-1-by-james-prince-dvd-p-6443.html ]JAMES PRINCE[/url]
You can now even do mark masons's steal stealy good, very similar to the dps, but a lot easier to do
I was interested in the special pockets James had made into his jacket and would've liked to learn more on how to get them made. I carry only 2 kiwis in one pocket and there's a bulge.

I really enjoyed the speed and style of his Cups & Balls routine, but a little hesitant about learning it due to pocket space for the 3 extra lemons.

Rick
[quote]
On 2008-08-19 18:32, puggo wrote:
Oh and if you only buy volume two, I don't think (but I reserve the right to be wrong!)the diagonal palm shift if taught
[/quote]

Yep, you are right! Volume doesn't teach the diagonal becasue I only won Vol.2 on ebay. I might have to get it from my dealer as it does look very smooth.
Absolutely brilliant this 2 volume set. I will definately not be purchasing another DVD for some while to ensure that I do use what is just so much really usable material, not like many where you are content to find at least one item that suits. Also a great manner in explaining, really nice and he does not go over and over the same move, no time wasting. Terrific buy. Thank you very much James Prince. (Note for mr Prince, Mr Prince, I perform in the exact same suit but wear a turtle neck)
[quote]
On 2008-08-30 02:43, Philippe wrote:
Absolutely brilliant this 2 volume set. I will definately not be purchasing another DVD for some while to ensure that I do use what is just so much really usable material, not like many where you are content to find at least one item that suits. Also a great manner in explaining, really nice and he does not go over and over the same move, no time wasting. Terrific buy. Thank you very much James Prince. (Note for mr Prince, Mr Prince, I perform in the exact same suit but wear a turtle neck)
[/quote]

So you wear the same style suit as me.
I've often been asked; how come I wear the long, black, almost Victorian style jacket.

The answer is, that I was trying to think of a style that would look like a magician at work, be acceptable at black-tie dinners and most of all not be mistaken for a fellow guest or worse still a waiter.

In this frame of mind, I went to the Rolling Stones, Voodoo Lounge concert in London. The band came on the stage wearing these jackets and I had to have one.

My first came from the same supplier as theirs, was made of a fantastic fabric and cost a fortune. I wore it out in a year and now get them made up in the Far East, not as good but much cheaper!
James, my suits are made in taiwan, I have never been there but you supply measurements and they are made. I have built in pocket to pocket tubes, however I will PM you re your trouser set up. If others wonder what that is about, buy the set, it is so refreshing.
To anyone following the thread, this is just to let you know that I have exchanged PMs with both Rick and Philippe on their queries

I am happy to deal with any fine tuning issues relating to the items on the DVD on the thread or by PM if more suitable

Rick gave me some superb information in exchange and I have asked his permission to pass it on

You will only get excited about this if you work bill to kiwi on a regular basis -
Over to you Rick -

A couple tips I discovered while working with kiwis -

1) I always wash the kiwis under the kitchen sink tap, using my hand to gently rub away the excess kiwi hair. This prevents your pockets getting filled with the unwanted hair. I let them dry off, of course, before using (usually a couple hours & they're ready to go)

2) Kiwis put in the fridge (not the freezer) last a LONG time. I used to buy enough to get me through the week, as they would either soften up or wrinkle on me after about 4-5 days. In the fridge, they last for weeks

I have already checked this out - It works 100% - thanks again Rick - gold dust!

James
[quote]
On 2008-08-20 09:33, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
James's big move in his arsenal is the deadly diagonal plam shift. He uses it often and teaches it quite well.

You could double undercut and do an Erdnase bottom palm. But the DPS is faster and less moves.
[/quote]

You thought it was taught quite well???? I already know it but I wouldn't consider this a good source for learning it as he goes over it rather quickly with only a front view, at least the explanation I saw on Vol. 1....
Well, it's not a beginners DVD set. Basic card skills are required. I do the move and I thought it was taught well by James.
Just to clarify, Mr. Prince does not teach the actual diagonal palm shift from Erdnase. The move is similar, but the fingering is a good deal different. Don't want anyone getting confused.
He taught it so quickly I didn't notice.... ;)
Brandon's comments sent me running for my Erdnase, in the hope that I had invented a new move - The James Prince DPS? - Sadly whilst he has a point, my handling is pretty faithful to the original
The only significant difference being in the way I obtain the 'protrusion' without use of the right first finger and I'm not even the first to go down this route (Vernon - Revelations)

Sorry if a little more detail on the DPS would have been useful, it's hard to know when to draw the line when explaining generic moves on a DVD of this sort
Too much and its annoying padding, to little and your should have done more

I'm encouraged by those who have PMd me having got the DPS from my explanation
Also those who immediately substituted a weapon from their own arsenal - such as TPC, LSS or SS

Having said that PM me if you're having difficulty and I'll do my best to help

Also I understand Ackerman is about to release Erdnase DVDs, these should be a superb DPS reference, if his other work is anything to go by

James
James,

I was actually referring to the positioning of your left hand little finger. Without exposing too much, it looked like you moved it from the side of the card as in Erdnase, to the upper right corner of the card, which is similar to a Mark Mason idea if memory serves me correctly. Hope that helps to clarify a bit. Cheers.
Brandon

You're right!

I do move it to the upper right corner

and

You're right!

Erdnase LHLF is at the side

I actually reread it this morning and this alteration flew by me

I'm unfamiliar with Mark Mason's idea and must have developed this independently just by playing with the move, years ago and hadn't even realised I'd changed it

Have you got a reference to Mark's handling, I'd be interested to compare

Respect and thanks
David Williamson on his Magic Farm DVD does his version of Eddie Fechters "Be Honest, What Is It" and he does a diagonal Palm Shift. He barely shows how he does it and no one mentioned that David just breezed through it.

That means folks must be really interested in doing James's 'Repeat Travelers'.

If you read the original routine by Larry Jennngs ( Ambidextrous Travelers ), or see his version on his DVD, he does a shift with a swing cut and then double undercuts one ace to the bottom and into a one hand bottom palm, etc.

Ambidextrous Travelers is a classic of magic.

Well, as you can tell with Jame's BRILLIANT version, with the DPS and the "extra sneaky something" it eliminates extra moves.

I've been performing Larry's version for many years and James made life so much simpler with his ( THANK YOU Mr. Prince! )

For those that want a bit more info on the DPS at Dai Vernon Revelations DVD, VOLUME 7 where he teaches the The Diagonal Palm Shift from Erdnase with the Vernon Improvement.

Here's some written material:

http://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php/Diagonal_Palm_Shift
Being a restaurant worker I usually pick up items with a "restaurant" theme so I picked these up. I have only had a chance to view volume one so here are my thoughts. I won't go into to much detail as I don't want to "expose" anything but I will do my best..

VOL 1.

REPEAT TRAVELERS: I thought this was a great routine! You can tell that Mr. Prince has "worked" this one for a long time. It should be noted though that if you want to do the routine exactly the way he does it you will need to make an alteration in your wardrobe. Also, I don't think his teaching on the DPS he uses is adequate so you would need to look elsewhere for thorough instruction.

MIRRORS: I thought this was just ok. I don't care for the multiple "pieces". I think lay people are more fried when the deck is one solid piece ala Paul Harris and the offsprings such as omni deck. Just a thought: I think this would be stronger if the "deck" was one piece ala omni deck and there was a mirror on both sides(top and face) when you reveal the solid "deck"....if that doesn't make sense just ask me for clarification...

MULTIPLE CARDS TO POCKET: A nice routine and an "offshoot" of his travelers routine. I thought it was a good routine but I don't think I will "trade" my multiple selection routine for this but maybe you could mix and match? Also, I don't think that all the cards need to be signed as it just takes up time, marks multiple cards in a deck you will be using through the night and I don't think it makes a difference to lay folk...

CARDS OVER/UNDER MATCHBOX: I really liked the routine up until the card in matchbox part. I just prefer the mercury card fold w/ a shuttle pass or full view switch as opposed to this method. If done correctly I don't believe spectators remember a difference between taking the card out or unfolding it themselves. Just my opinion. Either way you will have to "switch" something and I just think there are better impossible location routines out there. I will have to go back an watch the routine up to speed one more time but I remember not caring for the "moment" if you know what I mean;)

CHOOSING THE RIGHT VENUE: Some really good advice and thoughts offered here! I heard some ideas that I had never heard before which is a breath of fresh air compared to the latest offerings on restaurant work. Good stuff!

RING IN PEPPER-POT ILLUSION: I did not care for this routine at all. First off I seldom see "pepper-pots" in American restaurants. Second I just didn't care for the structure or method of the routine for reasons I won't get into because of exposure. I feel that there are much better ring to impossible location effects like the many Ring Flights on the market, Interlace by Richard Sanders, or a nest of boxes type routine.

IMPROMPTU ANNIVERSARY WALTZ: This routine makes absolutely no sense to me. Let me explain...at the end Mr. Prince says that sometimes the "two cards" that were signed are left over after the selection process, then it is really good. Otherwise you just do the monte move with an indifferent card. What????? Why on earth would you confuse the effect with one of the signatures "jumping" onto a random card and then immediately jumping onto the right card? Why wouldn't you have structured it so it was really good every time? I think this actually exposes the monte move more than anything else because the first spectator immediately sees that it is not the card they signed. I don't know if this makes sense but just trust me when I say that there are much better impromptu versions out there. The ones that immediately come to mind are "Hula Fusion" by Carl Andrews, "Two Hearts That Beat as One" by Jim Pace, and the one that appears in a set of notes put out by Nathan Kranzo of which the name escapes me.

I will let you know how I feel about VOL 2 when I get a chance to view it....I will say this though: I watched the first Bill in Kiwi and I have to say that his thoughts on the kiwi preparation are worth the price of the set to me as I had never seen this and think it makes the signed bill to kiwi(of which I already perform) that much stronger!
I think the set is great for several reasons other than the effects. It is rare to find products that reveal a worker in his environment, so I applaud RSVP magic for producing Mr. Prince's DVD as well as several others in this way (I have several of their DVD's). I am not a hard core worker, but I do work enough that I have several sets of 2-3 effects in a set that I do in strolling or table/restaurant situations. Rarely now do I find effects that I want to add or replace the effects I do-real workers have generally developed effects that work for them and may not work for me. I will not likely go to the effort of altering my clothing as Mr. Prince has, but the fact that he has does not diminsh the value of the set to me. I mostly crave to see other workers WORK, not just show me an effect isolated from reactions (that is what was so great about the Ammar card videos when they came out; they were performed for a small group of spectators and the effects were grouped into a set of 2-3 trics). I want to see how others organized their effects, their pockets, their sets. Mr. Prince's set delivers in all those respects. He has a style of his own that is entertaining. His misdirection is strong and the effects play well. His advice about working restaurants is right on. I have only been through the set once; I really, really like his handling of the bill to Kiwi (this handling will likely replace my bill to kiwi/lemon handling). I like his technique with the DPS. I like card under/in matchbox. I like the ring in pepperpot thinking.I like the impromptu Anniversay Waltz (I already do something very similar-great minds think alike!). Heck, I guess I liked most of the effects. But, truthfully, probably none of the effects (in toto) will get added to my sets, but some of the bits or handlings may. In other words, MY effects may get altered a bit, but I won't DO his effects. Overall, I think the set was valuable to me. Also, I PM'd Mr. Prince with a question I had, and he responded promptly and was very helpful. I recommend the set to intermediate to advanced workers.
Just to let you know james now has the mirror decks available directly through himself
hope to get mine tomorrow, when I'll be back with a mini review of them....
matt
[quote]
On 2008-09-04 18:08, matt.magicman wrote:
Just to let you know james now has the mirror decks available directly through himself
hope to get mine tomorrow, when I'll be back with a mini review of them....
matt
[/quote]

Are these mirror decks made in poker playing card size or in bridge deck size as james uses on the dvd?
I have watch the both vols and I think this is a great set of DVD. In fact this is one of the best one I°Įve seen in a long while. All routines are doable and hard hitting. These are really strong routines and explanations are really clear.
Highly recommended.
Hi guys, as promised I will give a review of vol 2 as I had a chance to view it last night. Here are my thoughts...

VOL 2.

TABLE APPROACH: Not sure if I would call this advice really. To be honest with you guys my thoughts were "duh". I don't want to give it away but it is what it is. don't expect any "breakthrough" thoughts on approach. He has a very simple approach and doesn't use clever lines or "ploys" to get into the magic. I don't think that is a bad thing but I do think there is far better advice out there. What if the people are in the middle of a light hearted conversation? What if there are kids at the table? What if just one person says no? What if... I just think there are different circumstances in restaurant magic that warrant DIFFERENT approaches. On any given night I might use 3 or 4 different approaches, it just depends on the group dynamics. In his new book and on his dvds David Stone has a lot of thoughts and ideas on the psychology of approaching different types of groups. If you have never heard Jay Sankey's thoughts on approaching groups in a restaurant I recommend picking up a copy of his book "Beyond Secrets" as I think giving the group ALL the information they need in one carefully worded intro line is better than walking up and saying, "wanna see some magic". Just my opinion...

CUPS AND BALLS AT SPEED: I don't perform the cups and balls at the restaurants I perform at because I don't feel it is appropriate for restaurants but this is just MY OPINION and a topic for another discussion. However, if I was going to perform the cups and balls I would definitely look into this routine! It is based on Vernon's routine but Mr. Prince has sped things up and streamlined some things to make it a hard hitter for a lay audience. I have always felt that many cup and ball routines were to long. The audience has to wait for the "payoff" and sit through repetitive sequences and by the time you get to the "payoff" they are half asleep. Not in this routine!! It is a one-two punch and your audience won't know what hit em! Some magicians might say that Mr. Prince goes "too fast" in this routine, I think he has brought it "up to speed" for this day and age.

THE WORLD'S EASIEST BILL IN KIWI: Hmmmm...where do I start. How bout the beginning of the routine? I do not care for the "vanish" of the bill at all. If you want to "transport" a bill to an impossible location Mr. Prince's method is the most un-magical way you can do it. If you are going to do this routine do youself a favor and come up with a better way to vanish or "transport" the bill. The way shown on the dvd not only made me groan out loud it also made me wonder how hard a lay person would have to think to actually reconstruct the routine. I have never understood the desire to not use a thumbtip in this type of routine. You remembered your cups and balls and all the final loads but forgot your tt? Sorry to go off on this one part of the routine but I just found it be BAD. Moving on! I could never do this routine because I don't do the cups and balls and I'm not sure how else you could do this routine without doing the cups and balls before it as you need multiple pieces of fruit to make the routine work. Also, the sw%&*% is done as an "afterthought" when you are putting things away. These are things to consider if you don't do the cups and balls and don't want to carry multiple pieces of fruit on you throughout the night. I should mention that if you already do a version of bill in kiwi the thoughts on kiwi preparation offered on this dvd might be WORTH THE PRICE OF THE DVD ITSELF.

KIWI FINESSE: I have one thing to say about this, don't run when you are not being chased. If you structure your bill to fruit routine properly this shouldn't even be an issue. I don't want to get into the method offered here because of exposure but let me just say that it is more trouble than it is worth and I can't justify using this idea, especially in a working or restaurant environment.

SHOOT THE KIWI: I want to start off by saying that the ad copy is TOTALLY MISLEADING. It says, "where the spectator can CUT, OPEN AND REMOVE THEIR BILL!" This is simply untrue. The spectator can NOT cut the kiwi, let alone open it. They can remove the bill and they can keep the kiwi but that is all. Furthermore, the work to accomplish this just doesn't justify the end result in my opinion. This is something that magicians might think is cool but I don't work(and neither does James Prince)for magicians.

FEES: Some good advice but if you have a good size library of books and dvds on restaurant magic you won't hear anything new offered here.

BLUE CARD: I have mixed thoughts on this routine. What I do like is that it is quick, to the point, and will fool the socks off lay people. The Levand move used in this routine is great and Mr. Prince executes it flawlessly. I also like that you don't ruin your working deck. When I work my deck gets smaller and smaller(because of signed card routines) until I open a new deck and start the process over again. With this routine you get a killer signed card routine without dwindling your deck. I should mention that there is nothing I don't like about the routine but there are many magicians out there who believe you shouldn't combine the two effects in this routine. They say it confuses things, and confusion isn't magic. They believe you should do one or the other, a signed card to wallet routine OR a chicago opener/color changing deck routine, but not both. If you are part of this school of thought you will not care for this routine.

BRAIN FREEZE: I don't know how I feel about this routine. I have never cared for trying to pass off 9 or 10 cards for 4 cards because I feel that lay folk can tell there are more cards than just 4 in a close-up situation. Is it still magical to them even if things look a little thicker than they should be? These are questions that can only be answered in performance. It is what it is. Also, I don't know if I like having two packets of cards in two different pockets for a single packet effect. I don't want to give too much away here but there is a lot going on for a single packet effect. Is there a big payoff? Yes! A lot of magic happens in a short amount of time and it looked great on the tv screen but again close-up and in person it might look a little funny. I think some people will love this routine and I think some will hate it. One thing I didn't like is that Mr. Prince mentions at the beginning of the instruction that this "quickly resets" but offers no instruction on how to quickly reset it. I don't hate this routine but can guarantee you I would never use it in restaurant work.

SIGNED CARD THROUGH WINDOW: Um...this is a dvd about restaurants, right? So what is this effect doing here? I have never worked a restaurant where I could, during my shift, "vanish" to a back room and do the prep involved for this effect. Also, I don't see how the "dirty work" needed to accomplish this effect BEFORE and AFTER the "backroom dirty work" would fly by an audience unless they were in a coma. Let me ask you this, how long has it been since David Blaine performed the classic card through window with a "dup" on his television special? 12 years? I still have lay people asking me about that trick! that's because it makes no difference to lay people whether the card is signed! They don't care!!!! I'm sorry but this trick is just bad in my opinion. This simply should not have been on this restaurant themed dvd and I fear was added as "filler". The classic version popularized by Blaine is your best choice, especially if you are getting paid to perform...

I loved Corporate Close-up with Martin Sanderson, I loved Mix'n'Mingle with Shaun McCree, I loved Party Animal with Matthew Dowden...but this set from RSVP just kind of left me "empty". I think it could have been "trimmed" down to one dvd as many of the effects are not appropriate or logical for restaurants. If this didn't have the restaurant theme then I could let some of it slide but that is how they chose to market it. Also, if you are going to have two dvds why not include more advice?

I think if you are looking at getting into restaurants you would get far more bang for your buck by picking up any of the following: "The Magic Menu" books by Jim Sisti, Restaurant Workers Handbook by Jim Pace, anything by Kirk Charles, David Stone's new book or his latest dvds, Live At The Jailhouse dvd set, Dan Fleshman Stuff, Jay Sankey's "Beyond Secrets" book or his dvd "The Real Work on Restaurants and Bars". That is just off the top of my head. Otherwise, if you are already a worker and do versions of the routines that Mr. Prince teaches on this set you might pick up a few "touches" that make the set worth it. If you have any questions please ask and I will do my best to answer without exposing anything.
Whether you agree with Hart or not, I must say that his reviews here were thoughtful and detailed...with much rationale given for all his opinions. Thanks Hart!

A.J.
Hello Hart,

Many thanks for your reviews for each volume of ":Menu of Miracles". Although it seems they weren't for you, which is obviously fine, all I can say is that all of the material featured on the DVDs is from James' work set for his restaurant performances. Therefore your comment of '...many of the effects are not appropriate or logical for restaurants' is probably right for you, but as James does really use all of this material in his everyday work it most certainly is most obvious that they are appropriate or logical for him and do work in the setting.

When I first started producing magic DVDs, the one thing that I felt the market lacked was a real view of the magicians performing in their chosen environment and not a studio. Therefore all of the material has to be genuine and used by them regularly and I think this is what sets our products apart from some others. Therefore to ask James (or anyone else for that matter) to just fill the DVD with inappropriate material would defeat the object.

Best,
Russ
Using Blue card, using ring to pepper pot, alternating with ring flight but pepper pot hits a lot harder and have used but will be using again because it is the best I have found, no pesky rubish gimmicks, CTW. So far so very good!
I'm watching the Menu of Miracles again today ( my third straight-through viewing ). It's a delightful set that is loaded with worker material.

In the 1980's I worked at this wild Mexican themed restaurant and a friend, who wasn't a magician, gave me the idea of making their card appear on the window ( all the tables lining one wall had windows ). I wish I had James's idea for doing it signed back then. It would have been quite simple to prepare in the bus station, have a busboy place it on the window ( which is what I'd do with unsigned cards ) go back and do another routine.

Anyway, I love this DVD set and I hope down the road James shares more of his magic with us.
Got the mirror deck!
these are great!
poker sized, all you have to do is stick one card on the top of ezh mirror
so you can have red, blue etc, whatever you are using
they are also also more robust than I thought, so should last a while
going straight into my pocket at the next gig!
cheers james for getting these made up on mass
matt
Message: Posted by: magical expressions (Sep 13, 2008 04:13AM)
I have also received the mirror deck from James and agree with the comments made by Matt. I would also like to add that when the deck is assembled, the weight and feel of it is like holding a pack of cards, which I feel adds to the suprise ending. Cheers, Paul.
I also received the mirrors from James ( how he them here so quickly was quite amazing in itself ). When I saw the ending on the DVD and was so surprised, I knew I had to perform this.

I'm very excited to use this in performance!

James, thanks so much!
So are these made in bicycle back? and poker size?
[quote]
On 2008-09-14 12:17, Daren wrote:
So are these made in bicycle back? and poker size?
[/quote]
Yeah, they are poker size. Matt above posted this info. Unsure about if it's in bicycle back tho.
Last night I brought my deck of cards and Larry Jennings' classic magic DVD into the living room and....I picked up the mirror deck by accident and didn't know it.

I can't wait to use this. It fooled me and it's going to blow them away.
[quote]
On 2008-09-11 13:02, Philippe wrote:
Using Blue card, using ring to pepper pot, alternating with ring flight but pepper pot hits a lot harder and have used but will be using again because it is the best I have found, no pesky rubish gimmicks, CTW. So far so very good!
[/quote]

Hi All

I've been really busy the last week or two but now have time to respond to recent postings

Firstly -
I've enjoyed reading all the reviews (good and bad) and pleased that by and large I've come out well ahead of the game
What really pleased me was Phillipe's post - the first from someone actually working the routines
I'd really like to see more posts from performers actually using the material

The DVDs been out there long enough now, how's everyone getting on?

Secondly -
Let me stress Russ Steven's (RSVP) point, that all the material is used regularly by me in restaurants
Anyone finding themselves in the area of Southampton, England is cordially invited to PM me, check where I'm performing and visit a restaurant
All items on the DVDs are in use, every night and it would be a pleasure to meet you
Food's good too!

And Finally
To those to whom accurate credits are important (which should be everyone)

In addition to the posts on this thread, I've received numerous PMs with reference to the DPS I use on the DVDs
As established in the thread it is not a conventional DPS, it is a variation that's happened over the years without me realising I'd strayed from the original

Several have drawn my attention to Mark Mason's DVD 'Decade', as it transpires my DPS is very, very similar to his steal 'Stealy Good'
(Decade - bought by me to check this out but now highly recommended in its own right)

One person has even accused me of stealing it and not crediting Mark (stealing stealy!)
I could be picky and point out that my DVD came out first and he doesn't credit me, however it's quite clear that we have both been doing this for years

I am therefore indebted to Rod Watts (Ireland) who referred me to -
Cy Enfield's - Entertaining Card Magic Volume 3 (signed card to pocket)

My move, Mark's move and Cy's are pretty much identical - great minds!

So full credit goes to Mr Enfield as he got his published in 1955

All best

James
I wanted to let everyone know that I know have used MIRRORS in performance and the reaction was as great a I hoped.

I had them shuffle the pack and I went into a very short ACR. I ended it with an explanation of how the effect was done. I placed the deck in their hands and told them in the old days Magicians used smoke and mirrors to fool everyone. These days you aren't allowed to smoke so, you can only use mirrors.

It got a HUGE gasp when they turned those cards over and they were mirrors. They were fascinated by this. It's an incredible conversation piece because they just shuffled the deck.

Here is a BIG BONUS:

Looking our best when we perform is paramount. You can slip a mirror out and give your face the once over. If you have a rouge eyebrow hair that comes alive and makes you look lie a mad scientist, a nostril problem ( bat in the cave ), etc. You'll catch it before they do.

Because the back is a playing card, it doesn't look like you're looking in a mirror.

Anyway, the MIRROR effect kills.

Get this DVD set. It is loaded with worker material.
Hi there,

Ive just joined the Cafť and come accross this thread. Ive been speaking to James a lot since the release of these DVDs and have a great respect for him as a Magician and a teacher. Below is my review of the DVDs that I have put on other forums. The review has been done as a professional Restaurant and Close up Magician...

The Effect
Destined to do for the restaurant magician, what Corporate Close-Up did for the corporate worker. For the first time, James spills the beans and release some of his favorite routines and gives valuable hints and tips that will make you a high earner in this lucrative field.

Cost
£18 per DVD

Difficulty
(1=easy to do, 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used,
4=Advanced sleights used, 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

As a general rule for the whole DVD, I would say a 3, although some aren't quite so difficult, and others are a little bit more nacky

Review

VOLUME 1

Mirrors:
MIRRORS - James' unique finish to any card routine. Placing the deck INTO THE SPECTATOR'S HANDS, they solidify into five solid pieces of Mirror! An amazing hands-on routine that will get audible gasps!

I think this is an absolutely fantastic routine. Its very similar in handling as the Omni deck, and creates a similar effect, but the ending of 5 mirrors in the speccys hand is amazing. I personally think this has the potential to be the new Omni Deck.
Difficulty - not particulaly difficult at all, a couple of basic moves are used that any competant Magician will allready know and use
Out of ten - 8

REPEAT TRAVELLERS - Three cards vanish from the deck and then appear inside the magician's pockets. Put back inside the deck, they instantly vanish again and re-appear back in the pockets. Direct, powerful, and a great opening routine.

I like this one, quite a lot. The reason why I say quite a lot is because to make the effect strong, you will need a clothing modification, which I will probably do soon. James teaches the routine well, although when teaching the "diagonal palm shift" I think it could be clearer. the DPS isn't a move ive ever come accross before, and I like it, but there is part which I don't fully understand (can anyone help me please???) which the camera angle doesn't quite pick up properly. Despite that, its a well taught routine and would be a welcome addition to any workers repertoire, something which I will do when ive made the clothing modification.
Difficulty - 4
Out of ten - 6.5 purely because the DPS could be clearer, but I think this is more a filming issue than an issue towards James

MULTIPLE CARDS TO POCKETS - Up to six signed cards are lost in the deck and instantly vanish, appearing in every trouser and jacket possible including one in a sealed envelope!

This is basically an extension of the repeat travellers routine taught before. Same moves taught again. What I really like about this is the phase of having a signed card inside a matchbox, and from learning that, ive also learnt a new card fold which is always funky to me!
Difficulty - about a 3.5, but its what you make of it, you can do anything you want with this I suppose!
Out of ten - 7

CARD OVER/UNDER AND IN MATCHBOX - One of James' brilliant routines that will leave you table dumbfounded. A freely selected and signed card jumps under, over, and finally INSIDE a matchbox that is in full view the entire time. Simple, direct, and fiendishly clever.

The basic premise is that of the card to case routine, but using a matchbox. the routine climaxes with the signed selected card appearing inside the matchbox which has been in play for the whole routine - the beauty of it is that the spectator can open the box and pull out their folded signed card. I personaly don't like card under box routines, but I can see myself using the card inside matchbox
Difficulty - 3. A few basic moves and some jiggery pokery with the matchbox.
Out of ten - about a seven

CHOOSING THE RIGHT VENUE - James tells you how to select the best restaurants to work. Invaluable insights are given that are worth the DVD price alone!

As a professional, this is stuff that I already know about and a principle I use already when sorting venues, btu for the new starter, this information is absolutely diamond. LISTEN CAREFULLY to what James has to say, because he makes a lot of sense

RING IN PEPPER-POT ILLUSION - James' signature piece in which a borrowed ring vanishes and reappears INSIDE a clear pepper-pot that is sitting on the table. Visual magic at it's best and a brilliant illusion. James teaches you how to make two versions in complete detail. Make this a feature of YOUR show!

OH MY GOD!!!! This is absolutely beautiful, and so bold as well. I WANT to do this in my routine so much. James teaches the construction of the gimmick. Ok, it takes a bit of time to do (ive made one but I rushed it so ill be making another one when I find the perfect pepper pot. Its a really beautiful routine, and also very bold. I honestly cant wait to get this into my routine and it will be something I use at every table.
Difficulty - 2. Very basic moves used, the presentation is the secret to this routine working sucessfully.
Out of ten - deffinately a ten, without question

IMPROMTU ANNIVERSARY WALTZ - James Prince's take on this classic trick, but with a difference. Use ANY DECK and NO GIMMICKED CARDS to leave a lasting impression on your audience. Simply brilliant!
Hmmm, in my opinion, this is the weakest routine. I do an anniversary Waltz impromptu already, and I think James makes too much work out of the routine. I like the anniversary waltz, but this one just isn't for me!
Difficulty- 2.5
Out of ten - 5, at a push

VOLUME 2

TABLE APPROACH Ė Learn the correct way tot approach a table for the first time. What to do and more importantly, what NOT to do using James' tried and tested techniques.
Once again, as a professional, this is stuff that I already know, and yet again as before its the best advice for the new starter to restaurants. James clearly knows his stuff so please listen to what he has to say.

CUPS AND BALLS AT SPEED Ė Probably the fastest Cups and Balls Routine ever with a four phase multiple ending! The perfect lead in to the next routine that leaves you audience speechless!
I don't like the cups and balls, but this routine really made me pay attention. The beauty of it - no extra balls! The routine is very fast paced, and I think it could actually be performed a lot slower so as not to confused your already bevvied spectator. The climax to the routine is the production of kiwis and lemons underneath the cups, which is a beautiful segway into James' bill in Kiwi routine
Difficulty - 4. Cups and balls is something which takes skill to do correctly, so if you want to learn this routine, spend a lot of time learning it and perfecting it.
Out of ten - 8

THE WORLD'S EASIEST BILL IN KIWI Ė Probably the simples Bill in Kiwi ever! Easy and completely undetectable. This is a routine that they'll be talking about all night.
This live up to its title, it is the easiest bill in kiwi ive come across. James teaches effective set up of the kiwi which adds an extra convincer to the climax to the routine. I like this routine a lot, but anyone who knows me will know I absolutely love the bill in fruit premise in magic
Difficulty - 1
Out of ten - 8.5

KIWI FINIESE Ė A great finish to Bill Kiwi where you HAND OUT the kiwi to the spectator at the end to keep!
Yep, a nice little finish to the bill in kiwi which makes the kiwi examinable. Ok, I don't think I would personally do this, but its a nice idea
Difficulty - 1
Out of ten - 7

SHOOT THE KIWI Ė The ultimate Bill in Kiwi WHERE THE SPECTATOR CAN CUT, OPEN AND REMOVE THEIR BILL! A brilliant gimmick that will allow you to perform a real miracle is described in complete detail. Simply superb!
I simply let out a pleasure moan when I saw this. I LOVE this. This answers an age old problem to me, and I will be working on this for my stage routine.
Difficulty - hmm, id say a 3 because there is a lot of preshow work to do with this, but the handling is the same as the previous bill in kiwi taught.
Out of ten - 11!

FEES Ė A discussion about what to charge and how to get the best out of your chosen restaurants.
Hmm, not much to say about this, basically James explains that you shouldnt charge your friday or saturday fee for a monday or tuesday. Basic, but it makes a lot of sense, and I bet its a mistake that many have made before

BLUE CARD Ė A fast and amazing signed card in wallet with a kicker ending that you WILL use.
I really like this, its a quick effect and a really nice way to present the card to wallet. The move seems a little bit nacky, so this one will take a lot of practice to perfect, but I believe its a move well worth learning.
Difficulty - 4.5 I recon. You use a standard card to wallet move and one other move which will take a bit of work.
Out of ten - id say an 8

BRAIN FREEZE Ė The easy-to-do packet trick that James has been performing for over ten years! Multiple climaxes simply leaves the audiences in a state of complete Brain Freeze.
Sorry guys, I skipped this routine, as I'm going through a phase where I despise packet tricks!!

SIGNED CARD THRU WINDOW Ė James' classic version that takes the effect to a whole new level. A freely selected cards is signed and then corner given to the spectator with part of his signature still on it. The deck is then thrown at the restaurant window and INSTANTLY the SIGNED card is seen stuck to the other side of the window, Spectator takes his corner piece outside and removes the card from the other side. The corner matches exactly with their signature! NO CONFEDERATES AND SIMPLY GENIUS THINKING!
Ooooft, this is SO bold. Its nice, but very very bold. This isn't one to do all the time, maybe once a night. Like I say, its very very bold, and you will need to do this as a second performance at the table. I cant see me working this one personally, because I work in a lot of first floor restaurants, but if I have the chance, I will deffinately use it
Difficulty - 1.5 maybe 2
Out of ten - 9

Overall
These DVDs are absolutely fantastic and ideal for the working professional repertoire. As someone who earns a lot of money from doing restaurant work, I have found a lot of new routines here which I know will be in the routine in due course. The advice on the DVDs is absolutely perfect for the person who is just breaking into the restaurant scene.

I love thses DVDs, I'm so so glad I finally bought them.

Oh, by the way, if I catch anyone using the ring in pepperpot on my patch, then ill string you up!!!

Mark
That's it I have to break down and buy this dvd. Mark it's funny what you said because I to hate packet tricks right now I don't know why but it has been just recently.
I just wanted to mention how responsive James Prince is. I had some questions
regarding obtaining a prop from one of his effects and he was not only quick to respond but willing to go an extra mile to accommodate my needs.

I have this set and found it to be a valuable resource in many respects. I really enjoy live performances. I too am glad I purchased this set. Oh!!.. and because of James I've learned the DPS and now have another useful tool in my arsenal.
Thanks James.
DP
Mini review Vol 1:
I have had V2 for a while, as I thought it had more of what I wanted (kiwi & cups). I finally got V1, and have to say that I was really glad that I did.
I won't disect each effect as it has been done already, but here are some thoughts:

I really like mirrors, and have tried and fried with it. As with any effect, the handling is tweaked to suit myself. I went on ebay and got an A4 sheet of 3mm perspex mirror for £3. Score, snap, rub down - job done. Want an easier option? Mirror Styrene 2mm - ebay £3 for an A4 sheet that cuts with good scissors. Jumbo mirror deck anyone?! (hope that this helps).

Repeat Travellers.. I really want to do this. Strong, quick, bam. Just the set up to sort out (which is no big deal).
The DPS - I really like this move, but would like it explained in more detail. I appreciate that this DVD is not a 'how to..' instructional on sleights, but a minute spent showing front / rear views Ammar ETMCM style would have been good.

Ring in pepper pot - Fantastic. In my experience (which I readily confess is less than many on the Cafť), very little leaves such a lasting memory as an item to impossible location. I will be making this, and the instruction is excellent.

Card over/under/in matchbox - You wouldn't like this... honest!!! OK I confess, this is great, I've just tried it on a few friends, its a kicker, I love it(also see comment below).

Anni-waltz - I do the gaffed version, but this (with a couple of minor changes) won me over ...

The comment: having read the posts here, the thing that comes to mind, is that nearly any trick I see and end up using very rarely survives unaltered. Sure, there may be some bits of the routine and handling on certain items that don't fit, but surely the 'gold dust' here is the ideas, the framework, the tried and tested routining, and the inspiration. For example, the pepperpot plot may not work for strolling, but does it not inspire you to adapt & create?
I perform part time in a variety of environments, and I really feel that there is some attainable, useable, hard hitting material here.
I have brought eye-candy DVDs before, but these DVDs (to me) really contain stuff that I either use, or will use.

So there it is. Respect to all those who posted honest opinions. Me, I like nearly all the routines, think that the advice given is useful, and the production quality is good. Value for money? Oh yes. So when will vol.3 be coming out?
Just a quick P.S.
Christopher Kavanagh - thanks for posting the Genii link. A good read.
I would also like to add that James should be applauded (as mentioned by others)for the support he has given to those -including myself- buying the DVDs.
Charlie
Anyone using any favorites off the DVD set? How about "Mirrors"? I go mine direct from James and they kill. People actually gasp.
Hi Everyone,

James has kindly given us the exclusive release of his "Mirrors" effect as featured on the DVD's. More details can be found on our website at http://www.rsvpmagic.com and includes free postage to anywhere in the world. The first batch sold out and there are a limited number left from the current delivery.

Best,
Russ
A quick thank-you to all those out there who have bought 'Mirrors' , both from myself and Russ @ RSVP

I am no longer selling this direct, so all enquiries/orders to RSVP please

I have just posted them a third batch, so anyone whose waiting should receive them shortly

http://www.rsvpmagic.com
I can't find any information about the mirrors of james Prince I checcked the website and I don't see anything. A lIttle Help?
[quote]
On 2008-11-08 13:28, immr1drfl wrote:
I can't find any information about the mirrors of James Prince I checked the website and I don't see anything. A little Help?
[/quote]

Here's the link:
http://www.rsvpmagic.com/mirrors.html

There's also a demo clip of the effect.
Thanks Chistopher.
For those that got the "Mirrors" have you had a chance to perform with them?
Well I wondered how long it would take for props to be made to perform some of the effects on James Prince Menu of Miracles DVDís.

I know the props for mirrors have been out for some time but now the Ring in pepper pot is available.

Back in August I was slated for my review on the Menu of Miracles DVDís and maybe I was a little harsh in some respect, but at the end of the day I was so frustrated that I would not be able to perform some of the effects, because of the props needed to perform them. In my review I expressed concern that it would be difficult to find the materials to make these props if you were inclined to make them.

It seems as though some of my views may have been taken into consideration, and I could have predicted that props would be made for the effects on these DVDís.
The Ring in pepper pot prop is now being sold for £44.99 with a free copy of VOL 1 Menu of Miracles DVD included from RSVP Magic. So can I get a discount on this prop because I already have the DVD?

Again the effects on these DVDís are very good and now the props are being made makes them even more appealing.

Chris
Yeah I like the set a lot. Although, and I hate this word; I find the pepper pot to be very impractical for my "venue." The restaurants I work at do not have pepper pots, they have regular salt & pepper shakers. But I am going to work one modifying them for this effect. But I loved the ideas on the set and a lot of the effects, and I agree that some of them seemed pretty rushed, teaching and effects etc. But that doesn't mean you have to do them that way. I look forward to going through the set again and picking out some of them for my repertoire. I only had time for a once over so far. I also have Corporate Close-up waiting to be viewed.
This probably has great material on it. I may even get it.
However, I think doing a bill to kiwi for table hopping is a bad idea. It is a lot to carry and messy for you or your customers if they cut it open. I wouldn't want to have to carry a towel with me to wipe off my hands. Or worse, have to run to the bathroom to wash them. Same goes for having a spectator cut open the kiwi. I don't want to get the patrons messy either.
I also have concerns about the ring to pepper pot. Is this something you set in front of them or is this presumed to be the one sitting there (the table pepper used by patrons) the whole time since they sat down. I think a ring to impossible location is great especially if it is safe for the ring. However if this is ring to pepper and it is supposed to be the tables pepper that just seems disgusting to me from a germ point of view.
Can somebody tell me if this is a pepper pot you open place down or if it is presented as the original one from the table? Thanks.
It looks as though you got it from behind some stuff on the table. But I like I said, unless there are pepper pots in your restaurant it will make little sense. I like the thinking however and how it was so cleverly made. I thought the same thing about the Kiwi at first, but it is actually not as messy as you think. I don't want to give too much away due to exposure, but the kiwi is a lot drier than a normal kiwi, and it is cut a certain way that allows you to put it back in your pocket a lot drier as well. It is "prepped" so to speak. Although I would prefer NO wetness in my pockets if possible, and may even keep a piece of saran wrap or baggy inside my pocket just in case.

It would be a sacrifice of space, but the effect is KILLER as presented. There is no evidence left, and there is no "tunnel" visible as in most bill lemon/orange effects. The bill literally looks as though it grew into the fruit! In order to get it out you have to make an incision in the side of the Kiwi, and push it up out. When I first saw this I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be just another "run-of-the-mill" bill to fruit effect. Wrong! There is also a method to leave the Kiwi with the spectator, and fully examinable!

But this will cost you a lot more in Kiwi's, but you could use it once in awhile, so that others will claim that you left it with them; as obviously you can't do that at every table unless you have a lot of Kiwi's ready to go hidden somewhere in the restaurant. But I must say I was very impressed, and as James stated, "This is the best Bill in kiwi you will ever do." At first I was skeptical, but now I believe him! I can't wait to work with this. The "wetness" of the kiwi is more off an illusion than an a reality, that is all I can say!
Hello Everyone,

Wow! This is is Russ here, the producer of the 'Menu of Miracles' DVDs from rsvpmagic.com. The interest here and from other magicians regarding the Pepper-Pot has been incredible and I'll try and answer some of your questions.

The Pepper Pot on the DVD was loaded and put 'into play' during the routine onto the table and never once did anyone comment that it looked different to the ones used by the restaurant. What I loved was the way that James made a small cover using the menu and flower pot, by moving them into position during the previous routines without suspicion. I know that you can also pull the Pot out of your pocket (almost like card in wallet) and this still works extremely well. Due to the nature of manufacture by hand, these Pepper Pots are limited in availability and we expect the current stock to sell out next week at Blackpool, but I really do think it's a brilliant routine for walkaround magicians at Corporate dinners and obviously restaurant workers.

Regarding the Bill In Kiwi. James doesn't arrive with twenty Kiwi's in his case! I know that he only does this routine for a few tables that are VIP guests or people that the restaurant owner wants to impress! sirbad is right in that the Kiwi can be prepped pretty dry and again not one person seemed to mind about their bill being inside the Kiwi as they weren't too amazed to bother. It's a real reputation maker and worth the effort, especially one of James' versions where the Kiwi is 'opened' by the spectator!

Any more questions, please don't be afraid to ask.

Best,
Russ
Just got a hold of these the other day. Have just gone through the presentation only on Vol1, and I must see that James made me feel like a layman again. Yes, as a magician you can telgraph that he is doing a diagnal palm shift but to pull the card out from the opposite pocket of the palmed hand, I was fooled!!!!!

Ring to Pepper pot is amazing. Card in matchbox is a stunner.

Thankyou Russ for bringing attention to these great British Artists.
A quick hello from me, now that both Mirrors and Ring to Pepper Pot are available as dealer items from RSVP

Just to say that any queries relating to the two items can be posted here and I will reply to them as best I can

If the query is method sensitive, feel free to PM me

This still applies to any items on any of my DVDs

All best and enjoy your purchases

James

All going well should be a MM3 out later this year
Wow, lots of positive feedbacks.. I too enjoyed it by the way.
[quote]
On 2009-03-04 06:19, james prince wrote:
A quick hello from me, now that both Mirrors and Ring to Pepper Pot are available as dealer items from RSVP

Just to say that any queries relating to the two items can be posted here and I will reply to them as best I can

If the query is method sensitive, feel free to PM me

This still applies to any items on any of my DVDs

All best and enjoy your purchases

James

All going well should be a MM3 out later this year
[/quote]

James, a Menu of Miracles third volume would be most welcome!
Thanks Chris!
I have to agree with the welcome addition of a third DVD.

I don't know if you have any material to top the great stuff on these DVDs but even if it was the same level it'd be more than worth the price of the DVD.

I use the mirror deck all the time, so much so that my Omni deck is feeling left out.

People just love it and I think its strong enough for a closer though I don't use it as that
Hello ManchesterUK,

If you liked James' first two volumes, I know you'll really enjoy this DVD. The routines are not filler to produce yet another product, but are all pieces that James does use night after night.

Best,
Russ