(Close Window)
Topic: Best "Science" based tricks
My list for best "science" based tricks-
Lubor Fiedler's trick with a wine glass using chemical for spook effect
Don Hauss clever new Flow trick
Can anyone else provide their best "science" based magic effects using chemicals,optical ilusions, etc. Thanks.
Psychic Readings -- based upon evolution.
If the audience you're performing for are not familiar with the principles then both the Bologna Bottle demonstration and the use of Sodium Polyacrylamide polymer can be dressed up nicely to use for magical effect .
"Imp Bottle" is among the early science based trick.
Sands of the Desert...
Water to Wine.
One that I've enjoyed was where the magician blows up a balloon into an empty bottle (that's a trick right there). Then you can let people look into the inflated balloon, pour water into it.. Yet under your control or if you hand the bottle to the spec, the balloon deflates (spraying the water out, if present)

I didn't fully develop it, but I played around with a way to keep the balloon inflated after it was handed to the spec.

This comes off mainly as a joke/stunt, but it could also be played as a look-don't see with children.
Prince Rupert's Drop AKA Rupert's Pearls
Color changing rose! It is one cool trick when it works correctly. Though relying on chemical reactions is risky magic sometimes.
The one I have had the greatest success with is knowledge that everyone can detect chnages in the magnetic field around them if you condition their perceptions. Have a person sit in a chair and stare straight ahead. Take a sharp metal onject like a bar-b-q skewer and thin knife and slowly bring it to about 2" from his/her eyes. You will get his attention -- everyone has a fear of being blinded. Now have him close his eyes with instructions to say "stop" whenever he sense the point exactly 2" from his head. Try it from different angles of approach. If htere is no response, withdraw and try again. You should get at least 90% accuracy. Of course, congratulate the subject on his amazing power.
There bis a lot of small and large demos to perform that applies bernoulli's principle...

1. If I hold the corners of a sheet of paper that is placed in front of my mouth, and I blow a fast steady stream of air over the top of the paper...what will happen. I have 3 volunteers on stage do it with me (as the question is posed to the audience. The mind of most audiences are generally filled with a misconception when it comes to this simple task. The paper lifts as opposed to staying down. This is a simple demonstration that serves as a great lead to many more demos surrrounding bernoulli's principle.
2. Wind bag demo
3. "Float" a beach ball in the air using a leaf blower
4. Toilet paper Launcher

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 12:40am
I present a diaper to the audience. I cut it in half and shake it over a pan. The white powdery superabsorbent polymer falls out. It absorbs almost 800 times its weight in water. There are several presentation methods that I use. I really buy "slush powder" in bulk since I do so many shows. I usually pretend to cut it and place the slush powder in the diaper. Diapers are expensive. Trust me... I know
My votes go to: sands of the desert and fizz
My vote is sands of the desert
Shrinking and expanding head illusion. PK ring effects.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 11:50pm
Drowning a fly and bringing it back to life is still amazing to me.
Bernoulli's principle... I used that for a science fair project in 4th grade. My display had an example of the one you mentioned, MagicJim. It also had two apples dangling near each other. If you blow between the apples, they are drawn in towards each other. Another neat effect using bernoulli's principle.
Rattle back!
Slush Powder and vanishing liquids
I second M. Lorenceau's contribution to this thread.
But Slush Powder can be used to vanish more than liquid :)

For a parlour show, I once vanished a goblet of coins!
The goblet (used for a coins-to-glass) had a thumb-tip full of slush powder added, and then under the cover of a handerchief, a small amount of water...! Using the old "vanish a goblet under a handkerchief", the combined goblet/coins all vanished :)
1. Sands of The Desert

2. Bolgna Bottle

3. Flow
Rijke Tube
Real Levitation using static electricity. Levitating Orb Science Experiment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9toZ3fwzv_o
Real Levitation using heavy gases. (Xenon or Sulfur Hexafluoride)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3EX0vEfFKU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjCmwuGKR6g
Magnetic Levitation: The most beautiful magic object I have ever seen is the Levitating Light Bulb of Jeff Lieberman.
I like the way waso thinks. I can also see some VERY interesting uses for ferrofluid. The stuff looks genuinely freaky... and alive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpI4EiGACo8&feature=related
For Science patter I have a Gypsy Thread that talks about String Theory. It's accurate and entertaining if performed for the right audience.

For actual Science I perform a Rice in Vase suspension from a Chop Stick. The rice makes a sort of pin clutch. Although the audience doesn't know how it works I find it very interesting. Does it count if the audience doesn't know it's based on science?

-Mary Mowder
Lenz's Law. Cheap and simple. Drop a small supermagnet down an aluminium or copper pipe(or any non ferromagnetic metal). It will fall very slowly due to induced currents in the pipe. I have holes drilled in mine so you can see it on its way down. Have a duplicate of the magnet that is not magnetic (e.g. piece of brass or steel) and perform switch so that it falls fast for the spectator but slow upon your command.
Sands of The Desert
Also, "Newton's nightmare" is an astonishing trick.
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Feb 23, 2010 12:02PM)
This topic is of profound interest to me. As many of you know during the late 18th century and in to the early 20th century many effect that are still in use today were based upon science experiments. These experiments were translated or applied to the principles of deception. I have been studying this aspect of the magical art for many years now and only as of recent published Ideas for Mentalism Number 1. In this work I have applied basic science experiments to the art of Mentalism with out all of the technical jargon.

Among my favorite science turned mentalist, are the PK effects. These effects utilize the science of magnetism. These effects began with the spiritualist movement over a century ago and it was not till the 1940-1950 we began to see new application of the PK principles a wider use.

Each and every year I see new effects hit the market place using science as a fundamental base for the creation of magic. This is why this topic is of interest to me, using science to create or form an idea, then applying that thought to a performance and creating an entertaining effect that will in some cases baffle even the most knowledgeable among us. Since the methods are scientific and happen naturally as a result of real forces of Physics. The methodology is right in front of the audience (in some cases) and never seen.

In a science based experiment I look only for a few things.

1. Can this experiment be translated to magic or Mentalism?
2. Will it have an impact upon the audience?
3. Can the science behind the effect be done easily?
4. Can it be done with simple or easy to find objects?

Bill Montana
[quote]
On 2008-07-19 03:41, Algebra2 wrote:
Can anyone else provide their best "science" based magic effects using chemicals,optical ilusions, etc. Thanks.
[/quote]
Have you ever been able to actually do this trick? I've tried with what little explanation he gives in the dvd but the glass won't move. Tried several different glasses.
[quote]
On 2010-06-03 23:04, crashbang1969 wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-07-19 03:41, Algebra2 wrote:

[/quote]

Have you ever been able to actually do this trick? I've tried with what little explanation he gives in the dvd but the glass won't move. Tried several different glasses.
[/quote]

You might like to check [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=2892&forum=14&post=5448634][b]THIS[/b][/url] post. :) ;)

Enjoy!

:xmas:
Pixie Glass (Abbotts) and Uncanny Can (Warren Stephens) come to mind
Healed and Sealed, Slush Powder.
Though some trickery is used, the Burnt Ribbon/Floating Ashes/Restored Ribbon a beautiful effect.
Shrinking head illisioun, (optical ilssioun)
Lenz law, (magatisum)
Red cabage acid indacater (Chemical reactions)
Bianary nubers, (Matmatics)

These four are great tricks. put together rikgth you have a good magic science science magic show.
[quote]
On 2009-12-04 20:07, MagicMatthews wrote:
Lenz's Law. Cheap and simple. Drop a small supermagnet down an aluminium or copper pipe(or any non ferromagnetic metal). It will fall very slowly due to induced currents in the pipe. I have holes drilled in mine so you can see it on its way down. Have a duplicate of the magnet that is not magnetic (e.g. piece of brass or steel) and perform switch so that it falls fast for the spectator but slow upon your command.
[/quote]

This would be very cool if the pipe was made of electroconductive glass or clear plastic. Is there such a thing?

Mike
[quote]
On 2009-06-10 21:29, funsway wrote:
The one I have had the greatest success with is knowledge that everyone can detect chnages in the magnetic field around them if you condition their perceptions. Have a person sit in a chair and stare straight ahead. Take a sharp metal onject like a bar-b-q skewer and thin knife and slowly bring it to about 2" from his/her eyes. You will get his attention -- everyone has a fear of being blinded. Now have him close his eyes with instructions to say "stop" whenever he sense the point exactly 2" from his head. Try it from different angles of approach. If htere is no response, withdraw and try again. You should get at least 90% accuracy. Of course, congratulate the subject on his amazing power.
[/quote]

Sounds dangerous.

But still kinda cool in an extreme kinda way... ;)

Thanks.
[quote]
On 2008-07-19 17:32, chmara wrote:
Psychic Readings -- based upon evolution.
[/quote]

:ohyes:
Water to wine.
Jesus was badass magician. Legend still lives.
Here is my stage size Lenz Law: http://youtu.be/8QG-u4Pr8Cw
Lubor Fiedler's trick with a wine glass is amazing
I love it!!
Another neat effect with bernoulli's principle is a contest where a boy, a girl, and an adult come on stage and see who can blow a ping-pong ball out of a funnel the highest. First one to hit the ceiling with the ball wins. Build it up big. Ready 1-2-3! They start blowing as hard as they can. Nothing happens. The harder they blow, the faster the air rushes around the bottom side of the ping-pong ball in their funnel, sucking the ping-pong ball down instead of shooting it up in the air. It's very surprising and fun to watch.
Shade changes. If none of you have seen these on youtube yall should check them out. Your brain will be blown.
[quote]
On 2012-06-05 23:00, adamsexton771 wrote:
Shade changes. If none of you have seen these on youtube yall should check them out. Your brain will be blown.
[/quote]

Can you paste a link? Looking for shade changes many unrelated things pop up.

Dave
I like this presentation of Newton's Nightmare: stretches it out, gets the participant involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJrNFW7-Rsg

Also (geeks only), we should re-name it Maxwell's Revenge.
I have used the "Tip-Cee" Bottle since 1975. It CLOSES the high school program.

The Boomerang Sticks, the "What's Next", and, a TACTILE ILLUSION have been "in" since the early '80s.
It's juggling, not magic, but, I've used "INERTIA", or the Eggs, Tray, & Glasses from about 1965, until the early '80s.
[youtube]6Y2cYMBM3e0[/youtube]

[youtube]8JRXt3QSh0c[/youtube]

[youtube]EUihClfzzME[/youtube]

[youtube]5bncL4-qnBM[/youtube]
Pop Hayden I really enjoyed your videos very fun presentations.
I need to buy a case of your amazing Magnitzed water as it is superior to the others. ;)