(Close Window)
Topic: About Patina.
Do all magicians prefer Patina on their cups? I use brass cups & polish them frequently so they shine as much as possible. Is that a "bad thing"? I'm a bit new at the "serious" side of magic & am curious. S.R.
I prefer patina, I never polish any of my copper or brass cups.
Then again, I am sort of lazy.
However if you like em shinny, there is certainly nothing bad about that.
My vote is brass shinny and copper aged.
Patina on brass looks bad, on copper it's classy. My Riser cups look 100 years old and I love it. My copper Sherwoods have a ways to go. My brass JES cups need a good polishing before they get used.
Shiny cups are beautiful to behold.
But not my style. It would just LOOK wrong on me. Plus, mine are so dented now from all the pounding I've given them. I'm also a drummer so ... you can imagine.
In short, I say patina.
Al Schneider has some thoughts about patina. According to Al, shiny cups cannot hide certain concealments such as FP. These are not his exact words but it is to this effect.

I prefer the old look because they exude character.

Rannie
I like mine with "patina" when working the renaissance faire, but I think working at a nice restaurant I would like a well cared for look.

Just make sure your patina isn't tarnish.
Patina on copper for me. Only last week I got RNTII's Ken Brooke chop cup and already it's patinated so well it looks like it's decades old. I think an aged patina gives the cups a more mysterious, old look and less of a modern, it's-just-arrived-from-the-factory look. To me it adds to the mystery...

Having said that, I agree with Jeff Dial--if I were working CB in a classy restaurant, I'd probably keep them shined and polished.

G
[quote]
On 2008-07-29 01:39, Jeff Dial wrote:
I like mine with "patina" when working the renaissance faire, but I think working at a nice restaurant I would like a well cared for look.

Just make sure your patina isn't tarnish.
[/quote]

Jeff:

Patina is basically controlled tarnish.
I clean my brass, use my stainless steel, and let my copper age.
So would I be correct then in assuming that Patina is simply a personal preference/choice for Magicians & really diesn't have anything to do with the "production value" or audience preference? R.S.
Well, I've heard it said that the trick is about the balls, not the cups. Darker cups put the balls more in focus. Shinier cups pull the focus away from the balls.
Could be. OTOH, part of the magician's job is to direct the focus wherever he wants it to be. If the cups look good, then the audience won't be distracted by them as much as they would be if they really looked ratty.

If you let your cups age, they need to do so cleanly.
Great advice, Bill. To age with grace...

G
Thanks fellas, I really appreciate all the input. R.S.
I am too lazy to keep any cups shiny, some times I like to play cleaning only the inside or the outside of the cups, but again I can't keep them polished.