(Close Window)
Topic: Why is little mentioned of Jeff Sheridan?
I thought Jeff Sheridan was one of the best street buskers. I did purchase his book about 15 years ago. Jeff McBride mentions his name on at least one of his DVDs. Chris Capehart also mentions him in his lecture. Why is he mentioned so little?
I don't think he's mentioned little.
I also don't know if he is currently performing?
Hard to talk about a guy I've never seen perform or read anything he's written. Isn't he living in Germany now?
While I have respect for the guy for the paths he paved in the way of street performing, I have reservations about the man.

A few years ago he came out with a set of instructional DVD's. I attended one of his lectures and was excited to meet one of the pioneers in street performing. I was upset to discover what a pompous individual he actually is. He stated that due to the way playing cards are made now, no true card manipulater has worked with cards since the (not sure, but I think he said sometime in the 80's). Regardless, it's been some time that any real card manipulator has worked. And yet I see Jeff McBride manipulating cards every year.

At another point in the lecture another full time professional performer made a comment about another way one of his effects could be performed. He took offense to the remark and a casual comment turned into a challenge by Sheridan for the performer to come up and show how his suggestion makes the routine better than it already is. The performer showed class by not arguing with Sheridan only stating that he was suggesting an alternative handling. This incident seemed to leave a sour taste in many of the lecture attendees.

I mean, even look at the title of his DVDs: "Genius At Work."
I could see his concern. He is being paid to teach HIS methods and effects.
Why would anyone , especially a "professional" suggest alternate handlings of something he has used for years and is being paid to teach during one of HIS lectures?
I cannot discern from your written comment what his statement concerning card maniplulation may or may not be addressing. Jeff McBride was I beleive a student of Sheridans and I find it unlikely Mr. Sheridan would imply McBride is lacking in card manipulation skill or presentation.
I have Sheridans excellent video/DVD series which was named by the productuion company, not Sheridan.

I would like to read more about Mr. Sheridan as I admire his work. I hope to soon purchase the book DynaMike referred to.
[quote]
On 2008-08-10 05:35, gaddy wrote:
Hard to talk about a guy I've never seen perform or read anything he's written.
[/quote]

Yet it hasn't stopped you or anyone else on this thread from doing so ( including myself).
I've seen one of Mr. Sheridan's lectures around the time the videos came out. I was already to like him. I thought, and still think, he was an extraordinary performer. But after he called one of the attendees "stupid" and went on about "stupid questions" I found myself thinking he was one of the singularly most unpleasant persons I've had the opportunity to spend time around. It wasn't a situation when anyone was suggesting improvements or anything, just an honest, ordinary question. There are a lot of stories like EvilDan's and mine. He may not have named the videos, but they pretty accurately reflect his self image. You may not like hearing about this, Manal, but it IS my experience (and one similar to the experiences of quite a few other folks as well).

That being said, his book (which he didn't write, by the way) is a fantastic read. He's also an amazing thinker, artist and performer.

Mark

PS If you've read the book, or are going to read it soon, you might be looking forward to this as much as I am: http://educatingraven.blogspot.com/2008/07/man-on-wire.html
[quote]
On 2008-08-10 13:44, manal wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-08-10 05:35, gaddy wrote:
Hard to talk about a guy I've never seen perform or read anything he's written.
[/quote]

Yet it hasn't stopped you or anyone else on this thread from doing so ( including myself).
[/quote]

I have not said one word [b][i]about[/i][/b] him, except that I thought he was living in Germany.
He was the first magician I got to see perform in Central Park. It still stays with me. If in fact he is such a difficult person, I'm glad I didn't get to know him at the time.
That would be nine words then. Magicians are so sensitve.

Must be the artist within us.

As far as whether or not I like hearing something, it has little effect upon me, ( actually none).

I would of course that everyone one was freindly and kind, forgiving....

I was wondering why we don't hear about Harry Andersons busking days.I guess maybe because it was a very different world in the days when Sheridan and Anderson busked.
Hmmm.... don't hear about Harry Anderson's busking days? Yet last night myself and a large number of Asheville based magicians ( our club actually had a "busking night") were out busking on Pack Square when Harry turned up... tipped well ( a real gent) and stayed a while to chat about busking. I tried to get Harry to work a while but I think he didn't quite feel like showing us up as the amateurs we really are... nevertheless is was quite something to have a busking icon in the crowd.
You lucky you,you.
Ok ,so the " we who don't hear about Harry Andersons busking days " no longer includes Tom Hughes.
Get "Wise Guy" if you want to read about Harry's busking days. Great read. Excellent read. Harry IS a genius.

EVILDAN.
You are right Evil Dan, I have a copy in my hands right now.
[quote]
On 2008-08-10 13:38, manal wrote:
I would like to read more about Mr. Sheridan as I admire his work. I hope to soon purchase the book DynaMike referred to.
[/quote]
Here is more info about the book: http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=6149
By the way, I have two copies of Sheridan's book as well. One original paperback and the reprint. So, in the beginning I really wanted to meet Jeff Sheridan. But back in the 70's I was too young and didn't know the layout of Central Park. I never got to see him perform. I was more a Washington Square Park person anyway.

But, his lecture left me cold. Sorry.

EVILDAN.
It is dissapointing to hear more than one person has had the same experience. I have no first hand knowledge or experiences of Mr. Sheridan but I am thankful to have the DVD's.
I read his book up to the part he mentions getting a permit. I tried asking about it Downtown Detroit. The city workers did know what I was talking about. That is when I gave up reading his book. When I did it up from my collection, I will read it all the way next time.
You have to remember that book was written a looong time ago. Policies can change at any time with the stroke of a pen.
You are right. I'll be careful.
I just bumped into him by accident. Guy in black, surrounded by a crowd, doing the knife through coat. I only saw him that once.
So I just got a copy of his book, it's on my list after I finish Cellini's. Got them both this weekend, lucky me.

So is Jeff still performing anywhere. I'd love to see him first hand.

Being in the Armpit of the universe, Pennsylvania dosen't really help me get out all that much, after all Amish people are notoriously bad at tipping.
As I understand it, he's in Germany and does mostly mentalism nowadays!

Amish tippers! The concept is funny!
"Hiram, drop this cake in der English's hat...he looks thin."
Evil Dan...did you see Jeff Sheridan at Marc Desouza's in Phila by any chance? The same exact thing happened at that lecture. It was very uncomfortable for me and everyone else in the room...as dead silence crept over the crowd while Jeff berated the magician that suggested a different approach.

I do agree that when you attend lectures to keep ideas to yourself or share them with the lecturer in private after the presentation. However, there are better ways to handle a situation like this than the way Jeff did.

I found Jeff to be a VERY strange dude. I guess most artist would be a bit strange. He is very talented and I've never seen anyone fan a deck of cards more perfect than Jeff Sheridan...and his Swan Lake rope routine was exceptional.

Rich B.
Rich B.,

Yes, that's the lecture I attended.

EVILDAN.
[quote]
On 2008-08-15 10:39, Leland Stone wrote:
"Hiram, drop this cake in der English's hat...he looks thin."
[/quote]

See, this is why I never drink anything while I'm on the computer!
Not judging him but the dvds I have of his are super boring, including the performance pieces.
[quote]
On 2008-08-20 12:25, tboehnlein wrote:
Not judging him but the dvds I have of his are super boring, including the performance pieces.
[/quote]

LOL...and how is it that you're not judging him?
LOL .. I clearly stated that I was referring to the DVDs & the performance pieces included in such, I have a thorough understanding that the performance on an instructional dvd is a far cry from a actual performance. Additionally I know an individual that was mentored by Sheridan while he was performing in New York, this individual had nothing but praise for sheridan.
[quote]
On 2008-08-10 20:11, tom hughes wrote:
Hmmm.... don't hear about Harry Anderson's busking days? Yet last night myself and a large number of Asheville based magicians ( our club actually had a "busking night") were out busking on Pack Square when Harry turned up... tipped well ( a real gent) and stayed a while to chat about busking. I tried to get Harry to work a while but I think he didn't quite feel like showing us up as the amateurs we really are... nevertheless is was quite something to have a busking icon in the crowd.
[/quote]

I've got fond memories of my time in asheville. No wonder Harry moved there after New Orleans arseploded...
[quote]
On 2008-08-11 11:18, JohntheMagician wrote:
... after all Amish people are notoriously bad at tipping.
[/quote]

Buy a rabbit in hat puppet and replace the rabbit with an Amish punching puppet. I did this for a card trick in which "Amos" suddenly appears to rid me of the devil.

I'd imagine this would clear your non-tipping crowd and make room for real tippers.
[quote]
On 2008-08-20 17:17, tboehnlein wrote:
LOL .. I clearly stated that I was referring to the DVDs & the performance pieces included in such, I have a thorough understanding that the performance on an instructional dvd is a far cry from a actual performance. Additionally I know an individual that was mentored by Sheridan while he was performing in New York, this individual had nothing but praise for sheridan.
[/quote]

Sometimes it is difficult to convey the way an audience will react to a given piece when you are performing it in front of a camera in a studio.