(Close Window)
Topic: Most impacting paper money effect ?
Other than the $100 bill switch... What is the most impacting folding money effect that you can or do perform ?
I really like mismade bill.
I am partial to the self-folding bill and the bill float. The 5-1 transpo is also a killer.
In my opinion, I have found Mark Jenest's "Billoon" routine to be a killer. This is the effect:

A balloon is inflated and tied. A borrowed bill is signed and THEN handed to the magician (who pockets it, as a gag).

The spectator picks up the balloon and shakes it (hearing something bouncing around inside of it).

The spectator is given, by the magician, a pin with which they pop the balloon. Their signed bill falls out of it onto the floor.
That IS a killer effect. I do it as a card to balloon.
Where can this "Billoon" effect be found ? Is it on a video or book ?
Mark Jenest Miracles While You Wait. There are a lot of good effects on this one.
You guys took the words out of my mouth!

Roger Klause's 'Slo Motion Bill Transposition' is a small miracle.

'Pen thru Bill' is another miracle.

'Haunted Self-folding bill' is a creeepy miracle.
Bill to impossible location is also a very fun thing to do. especially if they have signed the bill.
I like signed bill through the body. Its a pretty cool little effect. In my opinion. :banana:
How about Misled?

:yippee:
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Mar 12, 2002 08:51PM)
Doesn't that one have really nasty angle problems?

Personally, I like the effect where a spectator takes a dollar bill from their wallet or purse and seals it in an envelope.

The mentalist proceeds to 'read' the serial number and writes it on a pad.

When the envelope is cut open, it is found that the mentalist was absolutely correct! :devilish:
Let’s see, there are several bill effects that I perform. Three bill effects that I perform the most often are:

1. BeSwitched–this is a 1-5 bill transposition. Frankly, I perform both this version (sold by Al Cohen) and the Roger Klause version. Of the two, I tend to perform this version more often. More of the bill is visible (1/4 rather than 1/8 in the Klause version). You do have to cover the gimmick with the other bill crosswise to show both sides. I carry both and have done one as the follow-up for those who want to see it repeated. Two different methods.

2. Hornswoggled Again-The Ron Bauer version of the short changed routine (this is usually paired with my three shell game or Loopy loop and Monte routine for a sequence of protect yourself from cheats “lecture”.

3. The Suspended Dollar–Mike Bornstein’s, this is where a borrowed bill that sticks to another bill by one tip of the corner. The first bill is held by the fingertips and is parallel to the floor. The second bill is lying on top of the first and is moved slowly to the end until there is only a little tip of the bill touching the first bill. This is usually done as an impromptu stunt, and then I go into BeSwitched.

I also perform the Jenest Bill in Balloon bit, The Paul Chosse’s Bar Bill Stunt (Bauer), and the torn and restored, signed bill fairly often but not as often as the three already mentioned.

Finally, my all time favorite folding money trick, it simply is the signed bill to lemon. Messy as it is, it is central to my stand-up act.
I love the McBride torn and restored sequence from his two video set!

It is torn, restored, torn and torn again, and then restored - except for a tiny corner that "accidently" falls to the table.

And then when you visibly add that last little corner to the bill, the audience roars!!

It is climax upon climax.

Other than that, Dan Harlan's Financial Attraction (floating a Dollar bill with a clever technique) never fails to get a good response. But lighting can be an issue if you aren't careful.

BroDavid
I use one effect from Paul Cummins' video "Up In Smoke" called Top Billing.

It is a Matrix effect that uses bills for the coin cover instead of cards.

It is a really nice handling, and is pure money, so you don't need to carry cards around to do it.

It is actually the only Matrix routine I routinely use.

Dan
As an impromptu effect, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the following classic:

Two bills are laid at right angles to each other and back to back.

They are rolled up on the table and, when unrolled, are shown now to be face to face.

With the proper build up and theatre, it is a shocker (even for adults). I'm constantly amazed by how well this plays.
I agree with Geoff, I took it straight out of Mark Wilsons book.

It seemed a bit flimsy to me until I performed it a few times... and as you say it really gets a great reaction.

I like the fact it's gimmickless too!!

Regards Alan
Alan,

Thanks for supplying the reference. I could not remember where I had seen this gem. It's probably in the Martin Gardner "Encyclopedia..." book and a host of introductory-type books.
Misled is a very strong effect but quite angly. I use an extra piece of paper the size of the bill as a cover. You can show the penetration from the front, show the back which is hidden under the paper and see the pencil penetrated through the paper.

Try it.

Jeff
Misled is also one of my favorite bill effects, but has everyone forgotten the floating bill? This probably gets more gasps of disbelief for me than any other trick I do. Jeff, that sounds like a neat idea to make Misled a little more "angle-proof". I'll have to give it a try.
I thought more of you Americans would like the signature change on dollar bill in Paul Harris AofA?
Have you guys checked out the Folding money foolin book?

just some great stuff in there. Not really magic, but it's cool!!!

I like GreenWarp!!! it's awesome...kinda like card warp except you use a card and a bill.

You can find it in the Collected Almanac. Check it out.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the floating bill is fantastic,, then I go into the torn and "not" restored bill, .

I did this as a joke, and got such a good reaction, I use it a lot..

You just rip it in half, they all look and smile (knowing you're going to put it back together again) then hand it back, saying that you always forget how to put it back together, and walk off, That's it...
For my money, bill to anywhere, mismaid bill and floating bill are as good as it gets.
Long list here: Misled, Pen thru Dollar, Floating bill, etc. I have one thing to mention on the $100 bill switch... and I know some will disagree. I did this for awhile and it got a strong reaction, but I could feel that most just knew I had switched it because there was no way I could create a 100 bill. Now I do Mismade because at the end I have seen several people try to refold it back to that odd looking way. They actually believe it was some sort of weird origami fold so they try to recreate it... no switch is suspected. Check out some of Jay Sankey's lectures on that same topic. He agrees with doing something strange to the bill and not switching it for another denomination. Also, you can get the Ammar tapes on Money magic and they are full of great bill tricks.
Greg
I'd have to say the stealth pen(pen throught dollar)
Hundy 500
2 dollar window
ghost bills
wonderland bill
misled
floating bill
bill switch
mismade bill

all are excellent
My personal favorites are, Mis-made Bill and the Self-folding bill.
My favorite is mismade bill.
Improv Nightshades,Counterfeit Spectator.Both are Paul Harris' effects are both are mind-blowing!Another effect worth mentioning is an effect I learned from ETMMM.
I can't remember what it's called-you tear the center from the bill and eat it.After trying to hide the missing center,you blow and the bill visually and instantly restore.
Andre
I use the "Double Change Deluxe" by Sleight Master Jack

Lukas
A vote for Hypno-Bill by Phanthomas.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jul 16, 2005 11:45AM)
If you were to take a borrowed bill, and hold it over a candle till it melted, dripping into a few dimes, then a couple of quarters, and give them the hot coins... folks might be affected.
[quote]
On 2005-07-16 03:48, andre combrinck wrote:
I can't remember what it's called-you tear the center from the bill and eat it.After trying to hide the missing center,you blow and the bill visually and instantly restore.
Andre
[/quote]

I think that's the torn & restored bill from the Magic of Jeff McBride.
Back in time, for those new folks, Jack Chanin's RIP IT was and still is a masterpiece of a torn/restored bill. No switching, no work, just pure MOJO :spinningcoin:
Well Pete Jack Chanin's is excellent, but Johnnie Herose's Rip-it Revolutionized
takes the Chanin's method to another level..
you can seethe routine in Secret Sessions video...................
vinny
Most impacting paper money effect?

Well, ..... hmmmm....

Spending paper money for a new trick with an unbelievable ad!
When receiving this brand new trick ... HIT! ... where has my money gone?
Since this cool new trick is 100% crap.

That is an impacting money effect! And it works! Always!
The most impacting paper money effect I believe is Hundy 500 by far. After performing it countless times, 98% of the people really think that I can change five $1 bills into five $100 bills. They inevitably ask if they can give me one of their $1 bills to change. For those who actually perform it using $1 and $100 bills, I believe that they would agree that no matter what card and coin tricks they performed for the group, Hundy 500 prolly got one of the biggest reactions, most talked about a month later, and believing in real magic. Sure it is a self working trick with no skill involved, but who cares?!?!!?! The reactions from the spectators is all that really matters!
Ghost Bills
Mismade Dollar
Doug Edwarts Pen-tration...
The best reaction I get from paper money is Robert Neale's
Bunny Bill.................
When you give this out the spectator will have a treasure for life......

vinny
Although it may be "new", the Wonderland Bill get my nod. Whn I first saw it performed (by Doc Eason, none the less), I had chills running up my spine. It is that good of an effect.
[quote]
On 2005-07-16 03:48, andre combrinck wrote:
Andre
[/quote]
I believe that is Jack Chanin's "Rip-It", isn't it Pete?
It'd hard to beat Gary Kurtz's routine called "Counterfeit". He published an abbreviated version in the Canadian issue of Genii, and the full routine in "Meeting at the Summit".

You borrow a $20, it turns into an obviously homemade counterfeit $100. But the serial number matches the original bill's, and the spectator's initals are on it, too.

A miracle effect with a method that makes you smile inside. Hard to beat.
Mr Kam, I couldn't agree more, but than again, everything Gary ever created was pure genius so its not fair to quote his effect :D

Personally, I always found the £100 Bill switch, changing an English £10 or £20 into $1 Bill to work great for myself. I make a big thing about the spectator being and International Play Boy and everyone has good fun. Some people choose to keep the $1, some people choose to get there money back. Either way is fine for me. I also find a lot of people will hand the money back to you as a tip, I personally don't take them but if I did I would do this effect a lot more.

5Card ;)
Hundy 500, Bill To Impossible Location, Sankey's $0 Bill Switch, Dough! and Strong Medicine.

I have the pen through dollar and I never use it. The reactions I get from Dough! are so strong, I don't feel the need to use it.
"Bendover bills" is very visual, didn't see it listed here. Got it from Hank Lee's Magic 15-20 years ago. Great effect.
I don't know all that many paper money effects, but I have received some great reactions from:

Hundy 500 by Gregory Wilson
GhostBills by Andrew Mayne
Buck Naked by Paul Harris (from AoA vol. 1)

I like the latter two as they require little setup and does not require any gimmicks.
I perform several bill effects at the bar but the one that gets the best reactions as incredible as it may seem is bill to matchbook. It never ceases to amaze me how this simple transformation is the one a lay audience likes the most.

I believe what also gets them is I work in short sleeves so obviously that cancels out any “up the sleeves theory” they had in their mind. It has been my experience that spectators tend to like transformations better than anything else.
Beside the regular bill switch I think one of the most great effects is Richard Sander's Slow burn.
In this effect you show 4 sheets of paper and when you wave your hand over them they change visually to 4 10$ bills
I saw many of you talk about the 1-5 effect and Im not sure if this is the one but I did Slow burn many times(Especially in Thailand) and it was a great sucsess.

I once did it in a local bank when I wanted to change dollars with Bahats so I gave the dealer 4 sheets of paper(can be examined!!) and changed it to 40$

Have fun!
Roi
"The name is the same" by Roger Klaus
from Encore 3 Ammar.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 10, 2006 06:31AM)
Anyone tried Bill Duncan's dollar production from his latest manuscript?
The easiest one is changing a $100 bill into a full tank of gas... :) ..
I seen bills float, and seen bills change, and I agree with some comments already made that seeing a $1 change to a $100 doesn't make a lot of sense to people -- otherwise, you'd do it all the time! However, I also believe that it's the patter and presentation that makes the trick.

As is evident from some of the replies, some simple effects have been quite good for some of our magi. I can't say I'm good at it, but I try to spend more time on patter and presentation than I do with handling. Of course, doing the sleight work always leaves me with a person sense of satisfaction, but if all my hand work is done to make something NOT be seen while looking natural, don't I want to spend time on presentation?!

So, for me, the best trick I've seen with bills comes from Ammar when he borrows two, and ends up producing them from peanuts. His presentation is fabulous, in my opinion. But, it makes no sense! With that said, someone recently put up a link to a different effect from our Asian colleagues where the magician riped a bill, changed the ripped bill to a chewing gum wrapper, wrapped up his gum, produced a full stick of gum, then a full pack of gum which was opened. The torn bill inside matched the corner. He proceeded to tape it all up, then "heal" it and hand it back. I didn't understand a word, but the presentation left me, well, speechless. I wish I knew where to study that effect!
Dimishing bills with the Bornstein set-up
[quote]
On 2002-03-09 17:09, Nicodemus wrote:
Other than the $100 bill switch... What is the most impacting folding money effect that you can or do perform ?
[/quote]

The only "Folding Money Effect" I know is the "Self-Folding Dollar Bill" If you want effects with paper money I would reccommend anything by Mike Bornstein and Check out the Collected Alamanac by Richard Kaufman. There are some killer paper money effects in there.
Good Luck

RJ
My version of Bill to Impossible Location always gets an incredible reaction from audiences and is a cornerstone of my act.
I like a number of Jay Sankey's variations on the $0 bill switch (such as Collateral Damage, Strange and Stranger), Dough!, and Slow Burn by Richard Sanders. Of course, the all time favorite are the Bill To Impossible Location and Signed Bill In Lime.
I get a strong reaction out of Michael Close's "Rubik's Dollar Bill."
Mike Close's Dr. Strangetrick uses a two dollar bill and a card as a time machine to retore both the torn bill and the torn card in the routine. I always get a positive reaction from this one too!
I completely agree with you, Evolve. I almost mentioned it, but it seemed more of a card warp than a bill effect.
Yeah!! Billon is very nice!!!!!!
And easy to perform!
hmmmmmmmmmmm I like this effect! Why?
I is so bold!

I like to have a mismade bill, but in germany .....................!
The price: more than 30 €!!!
In doller?! 38,00 doller?
That is to much!!!!!
Hi, Curtis.

In wich issue (year) of Genii was "Counterfeit" published ?

Thanks,
Eric
There's no such thing as a money (or any) effect that's most impacting because a particular effect's impact is dependent in large part on the particular magician who's performing that effect. That being said, I'll mention one effect that nobody else has mentioned and that has the potential to be very strong...Larry West's [i]Passing the Buck[/i].

Larry
The 11 Bill Trick can be very entertaining. Just ask Stephen Bargatze.
I agree with Doug, and you might also check out Fred Kaps' performance of that effect on the [i]Seeing is Believing[/i] DVD, which I highly recommed. Fred Kaps originated the idea of using bills instead of cards for this effect (Edward Victor's [i]Eleven Card Trick[/i]) and performed the effect superbly, which is true of everything I've seen him perform.
I didn't see it mentioned here, but Daniel Garcia's "Greed" is fantastic.
Split fan bill production.
Joshua Jay's Bill Change in the Spectators hand.
I enjoy doing Ron Bauer's Hornswaggled Again. Have carried this with me everyday for about 5 years now.

With that being said, the most impacting paper money routine I have witnessed was just recently at the Columbus Magi-Fest. Watching Tim Conover do his version of Fred Kaps Cash was beyond awesome. I don't know why I let it get to me so bad, but a kid walking out in front of me who claimed that he had never heard of Conover and he was just doing a version of Wilson's Hundy 500, I swear I had the urge to put him into the wall. Wilson has nothing on Tim Conover.

In this routine, Tim pulls out 6 $1 bills and lets the spectators see them and touch them front and back. They instantly change into $5 bills examined front and back and then $10 bills. He asks them to name any denomination and he is able to change them into $20, $50 and $100 bills. Each time, he flashes front and back and allows them to touch the bills.

Awesome.
I agree, Mike. I watched Tim do that last year, and it looks wonderful. If you had any idea what is necessary to do it, though, you wouldn't believe it! Wilsons Hundy 500? The kid is, well, a kid! Obviously...

Best, PSC

P.S. RB taught me the Hornswoggled routine about 15 years ago, and I've used it ever since - it is the BEST version of that trick ever...
[quote]
On 2006-02-21 04:34, Algebra2 wrote:
Joshua Jay's Bill Change in the Spectators hand.
[/quote]

You are right, Algebra. That is a very sweet effect. His switch is very deceptive and really easy to do. I almost forgot about that one. Thanks for bringing it up.

Snidini
Where can Fred Kaps Cash routine be found? I have Hundy 500 and combine it with Changeabill. If this routine is stronger, I would like to see it...
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 28, 2006 09:29PM)
The Fred Kaps routine is published in a small book available from retailers. I believe it's called "Kaps Currency".
The only bill bit I do I found on a Jim Pace video. Basically, you fold a dollar bill around a piece of paper while it is in view the whole time, and then stab through the bill and paper with pretty much anything. A pen, a knife, whatever is handy. Then undo the folds and show that the paper has been damaged, but the bill hasn't. Very simple to do, but incredibly strong, especially with a borrowed pen or pocket knife.

-Alex Leidy
The “bill in potato” trick in the book “The Magic of Paul Potassy” is an extremely strong, entertaining and beautifully constructed stage/parlour magic routine. Don’t overlook this trick or this superb book by a master magician.

Best regards,
Levent
On 2006-02-12 13:43, Larry Davidson wrote:
“Fred Kaps originated the idea of using bills instead of cards for this effect (Edward Victor's “Eleven Card Trick”)

Dear Larry:

I could be totally wrong about this, but I was under the impression that the idea of using bills instead of cards (for Victor's trick), was originated by Gene Gordon (in his "Dizzy Dollar" routine). Perhaps somebody could enlighten me on the provenance of this wonderful effect.

Best regards,
Levent
Finn Jon's "Paper To Bills" is a highlight. Each bill can be shown back and front, but not passed out. I wish the bills looked more realistic. It is still worth purchasing.

Dynamike
I noticed a lot of you mention the mis-made bill in this discussion. I haven't really mentioned to muhc about this so I figured I'd point it out to you. I have an effect on my site that adds a little twist to the mismade bill. The effect is called "Change for a Dollar". You can watch a video of it on my site. http://www.magicjax.com/change4adollar.html

Other then this my favorite paper money effect would be bill in Sharpie.

Ron Jaxon
Hundy 500
After seeing Tim Conover perform Kaps Cash I am a beliver now.

Justin MIller
"Cramped" by Richard Sanders. Signed bill to marker. This is a "fool yourself in the mirror" type effect. Direct and memorable!
Hundy 500
Mismade Bill
My 3 favorite bill effects:(in no special order):

1.My version of Roger Klause's 'Cheque' page 65 "Roger Klause in Concert"

2.'Beswitched'by George Hample with an easy switch at the end so the bills can be examined if desired.

3.My own 'Dollar OffeRing'.Can be found in "The Magic Menu" The First Five Years.This is based on Jerry Adrus'"Dollar Delusion",where he produces a silver dollar from a fairly displayed dollar bill.
In my effect at the end,when the spectator inserts her finger in the rolled up bill tube,and then removes it,a ring made out of a dollar bill is on her finger.I usually do this for Birthday girls/ladies.It goes over Real Big!

Best.
Rich
The Self Folding Bill plays big with the right presentation. I like jay sankey's Strange & Stranger from no card tricks. Hundy 500 is great, as long as I don't spend it. I have gotten some pretty good reactions with ghost bills.
"Atomic Bills"
Wow Joshua Jay's "Bill Change in the Spectators hand", do you know where I could find this one?? Are there other in the spectator hand bill change??
So far my favorite bill trick is extreme burn.
Bill in Lemon!
[quote]
On 2006-02-21 17:04, Michael Dustman wrote:

With that being said, the most impacting paper money routine I have witnessed was just recently at the Columbus Magi-Fest. Watching Tim Conover do his version of Fred Kaps Cash was beyond awesome. I don't know why I let it get to me so bad, but a kid walking out in front of me who claimed that he had never heard of Conover and he was just doing a version of Wilson's Hundy 500, I swear I had the urge to put him into the wall. Wilson has nothing on Tim Conover.

In this routine, Tim pulls out 6 $1 bills and lets the spectators see them and touch them front and back. They instantly change into $5 bills examined front and back and then $10 bills. He asks them to name any denomination and he is able to change them into $20, $50 and $100 bills. Each time, he flashes front and back and allows them to touch the bills.

Awesome.
[/quote]

What's the name of Tim's trick of changing the 6 $1 bills multiple times? Where can I buy this?
I really like John Cornelius' "Borrowed Bill Routine." A great 4-6 minutes worth of magic! Don't know if it is still available but it is GREAT!
[quote]
On 2008-12-17 10:55, lozax wrote:
Wow Joshua Jay's "Bill Change in the Spectators hand", do you know where I could find this one?? Are there other in the spectator hand bill change??
So far my favorite bill trick is extreme burn.
[/quote]

There's Angel Cake from True Astonishments. Bill Change in the spectator's hands and they keep the larger denomination bill and it doesn't cost you anything. One more time--borrowed spectator's bill changes int heir hand to a larger denomination bill and they keep it and it doesn't cost the magician anything. Doesn't get much better than that.
I've got to throw in 2-dollar window. Great for making change. I learned it off Jay Noblezada's "Money".
Cool Cash and Atomic Bills by John T Sheets
[quote]
Spending paper money for a new trick with an unbelievable ad!
When receiving this brand new trick ... HIT! ... where has my money gone?
Since this cool new trick is 100% crap.
[/quote]

And its repeatable!
I hesitate to mention it because it is SO strong but I love Ryu Susato's Tokyo Penetration. I've been doing it for many years. I have my own handling which my partner Tom Allen and I (mostly me by MY recollection) worked out since I've never seen anyone else do it.
Google shows another trick by that name.

I'm recently having fun with Pat Page's Easy Money for Parlor. Money effects go over very well in this economy.

-Mary Mowder
Refer to my posting today under "other effects with paper money".
"Bill Tear" by Tom Mullica is the only paper money effect I do. It can be found on the IMS DVD with Mullica on it.

A great [u]torn and not restored[/u] bill trick. Presentation and personality are a must for something like this.
I love to do Fraud, and a quickie by Sankey that is a T&R... I also love the Mark Wilson T&R in CCIM- the effect with the Chapstick...
Can't beat Extreme Burn.
The 5 to 1 bill transpo gets one of the best reactions for me.
Gregory Wilson's Foreign Affair!!!