(Close Window)
Topic: Ambitious Card - Daryl
Hi, I have been thinking about buying Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD. What do you guys think of this DVD/Video, is it worth the money?
Thanks.

David. :bluebikes:
Yeah, I got the vid some time ago, very helpful for me, there's plenty of info and moves in there. It's always a vid I go back to when I need to find a move. Also listening to Daryl's giggle is well worth the money as well..........
"Bold, Bold, Bold"

All the best
DADE....... :subtrunk:
Thanks, what moves are taught on the vid (a generalisation will be fine if you can't be bothered to write them all out).

David.
Great vid, learns you plenty of sleights. Great for a beginner for an introduction to general card manage.
I fully recommend this one. Great DVD, Daryl goes into complete detail, well worth the price!
The "Blaine" style bent card ending is awesome, and Daryl's Ultimate Ambition ending is great. Both are explained on the video, but you may be better off buying Ultimate Ambition; difficult to construct. :cool: :bg:
[quote]
On 2003-04-09 06:49, dave_cane wrote:
Thanks, what moves are taught on the vid (a generalisation will be fine if you can't be bothered to write them all out).

David.
[/quote]

Dave,

You will learn double, triple and multiple lift, tilt, single card control (useful in many other card tricks!) ....and most importantly Daryl's amazing finale to the Ambitious Card routine - The Ultimate Ambition Improved.

Personally, I believe watching the live performance of Daryl's gold medal F.I.S.M. winning routine is also entertaining!

Get it soon!
Hirase
I have it and I think it is well worth the money. Interesting about his performance and something that I have heard others say a lot and I am beginning to believe is not to focus TOO much on the pass. I still love to practice it and use it, but I am listening. LOL There are no passes in his award winning ACR routine.
I agree with all of the above comments. Daryl's thumb count is subtle and eliminates the "get ready" of Lorayne, Burt et al. that I think is more unnatural/suspicious to perform (that being said, they are masterful at it, however).
Daryl video is great! You learn lots of moves and then you can take the moves that you like best and create your own routine with them.
The beauty of Daryl's Ambitious Card Routine is each phase is done in a more difficult situation. Which will give you some hints on routine construction.

In my opinion, you don't really need a pass to perform a good Ambitious Card routine, but it's always good to have a pass as the ultimate resort: when your spectator wants to place the selected card into the center of the deck by himself.

Also, place the selection face up in the center of the deck, and then perform a classic pass is an extremely visual effect, a card effect has the visual quality of coin magic. So, one might wish to spent 2 or 3 years to master the pass.

Zenneth
Thanks for that everyone, I will be ordering it today from http://www.magictricks.co.uk and hopefully it will come on friday.

David.
[quote]
On 2003-04-09 09:27, Zenneth wrote:
....and then perform a classic pass is an extremely visual effect, a card effect has the visual quality of coin magic. So, one might wish to spend 2 or 3 years to master the pass.

Zenneth

[/quote]

One can get pretty much the same exact effect with an easier variant of the pass such as Drauns "Midnight Shift".

Or you could always use something like the Houdini/Erdnase color change.
This Video is well worth the money. You learn Daryls FISM routine, plus he teaches plenty of sleights that come in very handy. With all the sleights in this vid you could probably do an hour long ambitious card routine. Although I don't recommend doing one that long. Later,

Keith
This DVD is worth it! I learned so many ambitious card moves off of this DVD. Buy it!! Don't miss out. Daryl is a great teacher too.

Andrew
I will say one slightly negative thing. I disagree about Daryl's double. I am very inexperienced at magic, but I think that squeezing the deck like he does for the thumb count is easily seen and could arouse suspicion. I have decided if I can notice a MASTER like Daryl performing that move, then me doing it would be like having a flashing billboard. I have a card guy near here and does a pinky count and pulls down for the double. I am just going to invest the time in that and doing the dl at the corner without a get ready. Did you other owners then the deck looked obviously squeezed on Daryl's dl?
wesleyc6,

That is why there is that little thing called misdirection...

Andrew
Tis true Andrew.
I find his AC card video + gimmick to be one of the best things out there. Not only do you get access to his wonderful FISM routine, on TOP of that he gives you a load of other sleights to help "create" (seldom heard among most magicians these days) unique routines.

When discussing the Snap DL, he's good enough, especially as far as LAYMEN are concerned, to do it right in front of their eyes confidently.

This brings up another point. Does it REALLY matter if the sleight/effect fools magicians? My opinion..... NO.

Dave
That is a good question Dave. I knew about 10% (about 1/2 a notch above a laymen) of the moves on his DVD when I bought it and I couldn't see the DL itself but that deck flexing caught my eye a lot. I saw (or better stated, didn't see) a fellow recently doing a pinky count pulldown and I had no idea until he turned the deck to let me see it. Funny thing is that I had asked him about the DL and still didn't see him do it when he showed me his handling until he made it visible. Also saw another gent do a nice DL with no get ready. That would be scary during an entire ACR but it was quite nice to watch or not watch :cool:
Through use, a deck would have a slight "bow" in it anyway, at least mine do over time. Once bowed, little to no pressure is required to thumb count. It comes to simply letting your thumb gently riffle down the side.

With a brand new deck though, I've noticed that I have to use more pressure to accomplish the same thing. You're right though, in a routine requiring numerous consecutive double/triple lifts there has to be some consistency. I don't like the deck "flexing" either.

Before purchasing the video/gimmick I wrote his web site asking as to whether or not he still performed the FISM routine in Vegas regularly. His wife responded saying that he did the same routine several times a night, every night he performed. That has to be a testament to his technique.

Dave
Yeah, I would say that is quite a testament! He is great isn't he. I wonder why he doesn't use a pinky count. Of the get readies, isn't that supposed to be tops in subtlety?
I love the snap double by Larry Jennings, it works really well for me.

Cover up the get ready by snapping your fingers before the reveal of the ambitious card. Or have the spec do the snapping. This is what Daryl does.
No doubt about it! The moves and sleights and subtleties taught in this dvd are worth the price of the tape. The sleights he teaches you will get you out of trouble when things go to their worst. I have seen the video but don't yet own it.
Hmmm sounds suspicious...

lol.

Anyway are there any colour changes in this vid 'cus recently I have been thinking about them (since I saw a melt change on magicvideodepot). Right now I know the shapeshifter change but am eager to learn more! :goof:

David.
I have the Bill Malone Ambitious card routine on Vol 1 of his DVD series. Would the Daryl DVD still be worth getting? Just wondering. Was thinking of his Foolers Vol 2 DVD.
taller,

Yes! Bill Malone's AC routine is very good, but Daryl covers more. Not only the necessary sleights, but also many other sleights that can be used in different routines. You will learn many, many ways to do AC.
I like Daryl´s AC video. After watching it you will be able to create your own routine.The part I like most about the video is the preformance section. You can claerly see there, how entertaining an AC routine is. Daryl does a great performance and gets a standing ovation. If you still want to learn more about the AC, have a look at these books:

Card College 2
Stars Of Magic
Sonata
Unexplainable Acts
Steel And Silver
Expert Card Technique
Magic Atlas

Yours Felix
Its well worth the money, there are that many sleight in it to accheive the same ending that you can perform it to some one a couple of times totaly differently, well nearly
Daryl's performance is truely great in this DVD/Video. I have purchased many teaching materials and have found that some magicians are rather monotone in their delivery. Daryl however, is a delight to watch and keep the viewer interested and willing to learn.
I would recommend this as a must for Card Magicians everywhere.
I bought it before. Not a bad purchase. Content is jam-packed and quality of sleights are great.
However I only found Daryl's teaching style a bit fast for me.. :) just my opinion. But overall a great buy.
It is simply the best video out there on the ambitious card. Every magician should have it.
He does go a bit fast, but it is a video afterall. Nonetheless as someone mentioned above, people mainly buy this to hear daryl giggle, LOL. Its great to see how he handles the audience.
HIGHLY SUGGESTED! one of his best! You can do it with a new, barrowed oe used deck. Daryl is a skilled teacher and yes he does laugh funny.
WR
Videos by Daryl are generally very good and entertaining.
For those who haven't tried Ultimate Ambition, making it is not as hard as it looks. I used Mono Adhesive tape (not as messy as glue) and a card stock paper cutter. Both these items can be found in Walmart's craft section. It takes a little time but is not that hard to do.

Jake
In my opinion you cant beat the pass in an ambitious card routine.The thing about this the card without question is in the center of the deck and boom its on top........you can follow up such a move with a turnover drop or maybe jame ellis loading move and because the spectator seen the card go in the middle first time around he will believe its in the middle without question again.Kinda conditions them so to speak.
Saw this trick on TV the other night on More Science of Magic. Will have to get this DVD so I can learn it.
I really like Daryl's video. It also seems to be the only video completely devoted to the topic. However, the more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that the video is far from being complete. This is to be expected since also every sleight in card magic can somehow be used as part of an ambitious card routine, e.g. I just noticed that the scoop addition can be really helpful. However, Daryl teaches many really good moves, probably more moves than the average performer ever needs...
I believe it is the BEST magic DVD of DARYL.

Daryl, you are the BEST teacher!

Hirase
Not only does Daryl explain all the individual "moves" in his live performance, but he also gives you tons of different moves so that you could devise YOUR OWN ambitious card routine out of it... Very worth the money I'd say
One of the best DVDs I ever owned.
Daryl goes into many details, carefully explaining his entire routine, and extra techniques which you'll find useful for yours.
Highly Recommended.
Cheers,
Michael
Ok, so we all like Daryl's DVD. Can someone suggest other good videos/DVDs on the topic that are simply a must-have IN ADDITION TO (not: as an alternative to) the Daryl DVD?
I don't really know. The Daryl DVD kicks some major arse IMHO. I would get that first and foremost.
[quote]
On 2004-12-30 22:39, juggle wrote:
Ok, so we all like Daryl's DVD. Can someone suggest other good videos/DVDs on the topic that are simply a must-have IN ADDITION TO (not: as an alternative to) the Daryl DVD?
[/quote]
The ellusionist ambitious card video... although I don't recommend it as an addition to daryl's ambitious card DVD. Daryl's Ambitious card DVD IS THE WAY TO GO!
Harry Loryane, Dai Vernon and there is a ton of great info on the ambitious card in expert card tech... Check out Close up card magic - and the stars of magic... Take all this - a bunch of ideas and work out your own routine...

DVD's are great but don't forget to read the classics...
If you can, look for Daryl's Book - The Ambitious Card Omnibus. There are a ton of different moves in there.
The DVD is worth the Money. It´s really helpful and Daryl is entertaining...
True, Bish. Daryl is, of course, excellent. But I wonder how many of the posters here know about my ACR out of THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1, or as demo'd and taught on one of my DVD volumes. HL.
BUY IT! Teaches you everything you need to know. Well, pretty much. A lot of great controls.
In addition to the Daryl DVD (or book, whichever), I'd recommend a couple more things.

* Get the L&L DVD devoted to the Ambitious Card.
* Go online and hunt down videos of performers doing this routine, and take a look at how they manage it. You'll find guys like Whit Haydn, David Williamson, etc.
* Learn the pass and the top change. These are underutilized because magicians are usually too eager to jump into the tilt from the getgo.
* If you're a move-monkey, make friends with a guy called Jeremy Macintosh (JMAC here on the Café) and try to get his thoughts on it. He has one particular phase which is dynamite.
In the 80's, Daryl was one (if not THE one) most creative magician that I know.
His ambitious card routine is an example of that.
It is is a must have.
[quote]
On 2004-12-31 11:08, dmk_kirkland wrote:
If you can, look for Daryl's Book - The Ambitious Card Omnibus. There are a ton of different moves in there.

[/quote]

Daryl's Ambitious Card Omnibus, Stephen Minch, 1987, now sadly long out of print.
But if you can get hold of a copy, don't hesitate. It's an valuble companion to the DVD.
[quote]
On 2010-01-08 12:26, Harry Lorayne wrote:
True, Bish. Daryl is, of course, excellent. But I wonder how many of the posters here know about my ACR out of THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 1, or as demo'd and taught on one of my DVD volumes. HL.
[/quote]

I do.

And Daryl is much more fun IMO, though we probably disagree.
[quote]
On 2010-01-09 09:47, Peo Olsson wrote:
[quote]
On 2004-12-31 11:08, dmk_kirkland wrote:

[/quote]

Daryl's Ambitious Card Omnibus, Stephen Minch, 1987, now sadly long out of print.
But if you can get hold of a copy, don't hesitate. It's an valuble companion to the DVD.
[/quote]

I would say that the dvd is a nice companion for the book. If you can only have one- go for the book- hands down.

fish
Fabio: I don't know Daryl's routine; I'm sure it's terrific - because he is. But my ACR wasn't put together for "fun." But of course, use whichever is more "fun" for you. If it makes your audience laugh, hey, great.
Well, if you never seen Daryl performing his Gld Medal routine you definiely should. It is very entertaining, classy and well delivered.

I don't know what you mean by "my ACR wasn't put together for "fun."", mind clarifying?

[quote]
On 2010-01-09 10:50, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Fabio: I don't know Daryl's routine; I'm sure it's terrific - because he is. But my ACR wasn't put together for "fun." But of course, use whichever is more "fun" for you. If it makes your audience laugh, hey, great.
[/quote]

PS:

I don't do Daryl's routine, though I do utilize his finale some times.
Sure. You said that "Daryl's is much [b]more fun[/b]." So I replied that my ACR routine was not put together for "fun." Simple. In this routine, I don't go for laughs, I want jaws to drop.
Watching jaws drop is fun for ME!

I just started going back through yours Harry, you sneaky devil!!!

MMc
Fun doesn't necessarily equals laughing 100% of the time.

I enjoy getting my jaw dropped, Daryl fools me big time with his material, and that is fun too.

But I get your point now, thank you for making it clearer.

[quote]
On 2010-01-09 11:32, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Sure. You said that "Daryl's is much [b]more fun[/b]." So I replied that my ACR routine was not put together for "fun." Simple. In this routine, I don't go for laughs, I want jaws to drop.
[/quote]
Well I'm going to agree with most on here that Daryl's is a great video! WINK. and with that said I have to comment to Harry Lorayne my god I had no idea you were on the Café' and its a pleasure to even be writing here knowing you are. I like to say first off if you put out something and say its jaw dropping then I'm sure it is, I will be checking into that. Before I go I want to tell you I have your reputation makers book and learned a lot of great moves and effects from it, my fav is the Card Sharp and the Four Gamblers and was the reason I bought the book, so wanted to say thanks for all the years of knowledge that you have shared with us, its a pleasure to even say I had this opportunity to say thanks.

Rick Anderson
With out Magic-Nothing changes!
I just saw this thread. For what it's worth, in my opinion Daryl's Ambitious Card video is fantastic! I purchased this video a few years ago and my current ACR has many elements of Daryl's routine. It is a great source for learning this classic. Incidently, I only use five revelations in my ACR. I don't recall how many revelations Daryl's routine consists of but I've found through trial that five is a good number for me.

Harry, I recall reading your ACR routine (in CUCM I think) and it was the first ACR I learned. This too is another great source for learning this classic! I think I'm going to get my Classic Collection out and revisit that one.

Another thing, I read mention in this thread of the thumb count for the double-get ready. I believe this is in Daryl's routine however, I don't't care for that technique. My teacher used to cringe when he first discovered I was using it. I have to agree now that it has too many 'tells'. I'm a strike second kind of guy and I also use the pinky count quite a bit.

Roberto
The DVD is great. It depends, where you would like to perform it. It's not the best thing for table hopping...
Why not?
[quote]
On 2010-02-24 06:59, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Why not?
[/quote]

..because of the set up for the finale....
The set-up for the finale may help a table hopper build a routine.

You can use the rope at the end of your card routine to segue into a rope routine.
Or just leave 'em dumbfounded.