(Close Window)
Topic: 20th Centry Silks
Ok which 2 colors would you pick for the outside? Then which color would you pick for the inner? It so hard to pick 3 colors. Anyone want to help.
Red
Blue
Turquoise
Green (Bottle)
Yellow (lemon)
Pink
Black
White
Purple
Light Purple (Hot Pink)
Orange
Gold (school bus yellow)
Light Green (Apple)
I was thinking of using red and blue. I just don't know what color to use in side.
The Center Silk can be anything from Multi-color to Happy Birthday, to Santa, to "Jolly Roger Crossbones", etc.

The outside silks should be able to hid the color of the inside.

Blue and Purple have served well to hid center silks.

Blue, Multi-Color Yellow(Center Silk) and Red are the classic colors.

Red, Happy Birthday (on Red Silk), red (Ken Scott & Laflin Magic has these.
Dennis is correct on the color necessary on the outer silks to hide the concealed silk. Red, Blue, Purple are all favorites. You can also go with a prepared pocket silk or unprepared as you feel more comfortable with.

Any silk can be adapted to work in the set if a small tail of matching silk color is sewn on. You should also go for heavy silks (8 Momme at least) as they take the strain of pulling the silk out much better.

I also have silks on my website or drop me a line if you have other questions.

Richard
In a particular routine I do which uses a 20th-century silk set, I've always used a rainbow (diagonal stripes) for the center silk, with hot pink & rich royal-blue for the two outer silks. The blue silk is the one that conceals the hidden silk.

I've found this color combination works well indoors and outdoors, and the rainbow is quite a contrast to the other two solid-colors. Of course, part of my patter makes references to the blue and pink silks... and the multi-colored one.

TED
Mike,

The construction of the load area will do a lot to determine this. The cheapest models have a diagonally folded gimmick that can flash the load at the bottom. "See through" is worse with single thickness silks of very contrasting colors.

The best models of 20th Century Silk allow you to show all silks as full squares. They are multiple layers of silk to avoid "see through". They appear flat (not lumpy). They have hems on only three sides to avoid picking up the silk incorrectly and accidentally dumping out the load. There is no need for the forth side (bottom) to be hemmed because there is no raw edge there! The silk is folded and permanently creased on that edge and looks hemmed. (All raw edges are hemmed.)

Due to the construction of the better models of 20th Century Silks, lighter colors are not the problems they are for the cheaper models. Remember that with only one layer of silk "see through" is as great a problem for light colored and printed silks as loads as are the light colored on the ends.

Of the above listed colors, even white and yellow work well in the better quality prop sets. (Red and White, Green and White, Blue and White, Purple and White as well as Black and White are not rare in the better prop sets.) Don't forget to consider the colors of your costumes too. Visibility counts!

What I actually use most are the DoveLite Purple, Red or Flag Blue silks with a multi color (red, green, yellow and purple) diagonal in the middle. My costumes are usually black, very dark blue, gray, tan or silver. For special occasions the middle silks I use are Happy Birthday, Thank You, The End, Good Bye, or Zebra stripes. The ends are usually Green, Red, Gold, Purple or Blue. For corporate magic they are always the company colors.

20th Century Silks are definitely one of those props that pack flat and carry a real punch. You'll have many sets before you are through. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (Sep 4, 2008 12:18AM)
Mine are purple outer and yellow inner, they seem to work best against my black backgrounds and are visible from quite a distance
Bob:

You mentioned the "better models" which allow you to show each silk as "squares", and use multiple layers with hems on only three sides. I'm not familiar with this type of construction... who manufactures these? Who sells them?

TED
Ted,

Bob sells them! I have a set of his 20th Century Silks and they are beautiful. Just email him or PM him.

Michael
Excellent advice from everyone! I really don't have much to add, except to say that I normally use a tie-dyed center silk (blue/yellow/red) with two, dark blue silks. Bob brought up an excellent point about using colors to match the engeagement whenever possible. You can use silks that match school colors, patriotic colors, company colors, scout colors, etc, etc. As Michael stated, Mr. Sanders knows his silks and he has everything you need....and more!

Regan
I also make mine with actual squares.

Richard
Our gimmicked silk from DoveLite Silk is not made just from squares. The outer silk is a rectangle 18" x 36". That way only the three open sides are stitched in any way and there is no open bottom to flash or reason to pick it up wrong and dumping out the load. Yet it can still be shown as square.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I had no idea there was so much technical information on the 20th century silks!
I bought a set that had the open bottom - after flashing once in a show, I sewed it up. It looks OK as long as you keep it draped. Mine are red, yellow, and blue - Am I the only one that uses three different colors?

Jim
Just got the best 20th Century silks from Bob Sanders. PM him. He has bright, beautiful colors and good prices (he apparently imports from Far East and sells to dealers - but you can also buy direct from him and get the best product I've ever seen, plus get a great price). He also sews his 20th Century silks, unlike some who sell three silks and ask you to "hide the middle one between the other two."
[quote]
On 2008-10-02 09:08, jimhlou wrote:
I had no idea there was so much technical information on the 20th century silks!
I bought a set that had the open bottom - after flashing once in a show, I sewed it up. It looks OK as long as you keep it draped. Mine are red, yellow, and blue - Am I the only one that uses three different colors?

Jim
[/quote]

Jim,

You are not the only one using multiple colors. Especially in corporate magic, we try to stick to company colors.

There is a handy way to cheat at this. Use the same colors on the ends and use a company logo silk in the center. Now just who would do that? LOL!

Enjoy your silk magic. It shows!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I had a set custom made by Richard Hughes a few years ago because I wanted specific colors. Best set I ever had. I still use it today!
Mike,

I think it surprises people to learn how long good silk props last. There are silks in my act that have been there over thirty years and still look good.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I have one of Bob's and a spare. Mine are flag blue and Yellow. They match the colors in my show to tee. They well made and the impact is awsome.

While you are all getting one them from Bob get a "THIS" as well.
Everyone has convinced me to buy from Bob. I am stilling think about the colors. It just seem so hard to get just the right color. Me I have no idea about colors. I just keep watching listen to you pros.
When selecting colors you should develope a color palate for you show this helps in the selection of things like silks and flowers etc.
I use a lot of blue and red in my costumes so yellow is the accent color of choice for me. I also have a selection of purple and gold. If the eighties ever come back in style.
[quote]
On 2009-01-01 23:48, Michael Taggert wrote:

I sue (now corrected to use) a lot of blue and red in my costumes...
[/quote]
What color is the lawyer? Just kidding. Purple and Gold; you can always were that down here in New Orleans Geaux Tigers!
[quote]
On 2009-01-01 23:53, spacecop wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-01-01 23:48, Michael Taggert wrote:

I sue (now corrected to use) a lot of blue and red in my costumes...
[/quote]
What color is the lawyer? Just kidding. Purple and Gold; you can always were that down here in New Orleans Geaux Tigers!
[/quote]

Monty,

People in the rest of the world just have no idea how loyal LSU fans are. There it is a CAUSE!

Last year I was working and lecturing in Louisiana in January. When I was doing the Double 4-Color Change with 18" silks that changed red and white (Buckeyes) to Purple Gold (LSU Tigers), I don't think anyone saw another thing afterwards. I sold all I had including the one out of my show. (Then I knew I had to leave the state. Once out of stock I was in danger!)

I look forward to coming back but with enough stock this time. The 20th Century Silks in Purple and Gold are also back in stock. This year I'm on the Atlantic side for January but "I shall return!" May the Purple and Gold be with me. LOL

And please don't tell these folks how good dirty rice is! Save it for me. I love it! (Make them eat the white stuff.)

Enjoy your magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I tell a fairy tale with my 20th century silks (one that I wrote, but is inspired by "Magictales").
I just use a standard cheap set I bought;
two blues and a starburst, they work great, I just use a basic fold and there's no flashing.
If you use a story, certain colors will just makes sense. The silks I use are Princess Amirah's favorite colors.
I use to do Dan Harlan's "This century" without a story and I did the same thing, I came up with a reason for the colors I use (I think it was the sun in the sky).
I don't know if this helps or not, but I also heard dark on the outside and light on the inside helps the middle one show up.
I used one out of Magic Tales by Leslie (great book, but that particular sultan/prince tale was too long for the under 8s). Then I decided to get one of Bob Sanders' outstanding Birthday 20th Century silk sets and get my local seamstress (fabric shop employee by day . . . seamstress on the side, as I understand many are) to rig up an Aladin set with Richard Hughes custom Aladin silks (also excellent). I haven't used these in shows yet, but am gearing up to have several appearing Birthday silks (the one with the rabbit) as running gag through birthday show, and will also use the Aladin silks similarly. It's a versatile trick. I like Duane Laflin's handling with the diseappearing plastic box and the reappearance of the Hoppy Birthday Bunny between two silks under a glass.
Has anyone ever seen an Ed Massey version, I'd like to see one.