(Close Window)
Topic: Best impromptu ever???
Hi guys,

To your mind, what is the best totally impromptu trick ever.

No gimmick, no IT, just nothing!!!

So???

Franfran la Malice :kermit:
CMH ;)

MagiCat :subtrunk:
Message: Posted by: Dustin_The_Magic_Kid (Apr 10, 2003 01:00PM)
Was here, now is there - best imprompt ever.

Oh! And lets not forget spong routines with kleenex! go KLEENEX YAY
You can't really say which unless you know every single one, but my favorite is scotch and soda.
I don't really think S&S is an impromptu effect.

I define an impromptu effect as something you can do anywhere, with no gimmicks, and with borrowed objects.

I agree, CMH is one of the best, if not [i]the[/i] best!
I meant the un-gimmicked one, it's just as good.
A little correction. It is BETTER! ;)

Mine would have to be ummmm.... I guess I don't have one. I am having a mental block right now on impromptu tricks.

Andrew
What's CMH? :confused:
Crazy Man's Handcuffs. It's a rubberband penetration effect with no gaffs.
CMH is killer with the right performance. If you haven't learned it yet, do so :)

MagiCat :subtrunk:
Sponge ball/napkin balls-------> Torn and restored napkin------> 2 in the hand 1 in the pocket-----> Paper balls over head.

Those little peices of paper can be a twenty to thirty minutes set with no set up or preping.

For the record CMH is always part of my regular and impromtu set.

Mat
Greg Wilson's Recap routine

as well as CMH

Hirase
I just saw Greg Wilson's Recap routine for the first time. That's definitely one of the best impromptu effects I've seen.

CMH is solid, yes--but I'm afraid it's gotten a lot of play since Copperfield performed it. By the way, does anyone else do the CMH along with Band Ladder (?) and Broken and Restored Band from Ammar's Signature series? The three go together well.

I'm a big fan of the Twisting Arm Illusion for complete impromptu. Also, Roth's Hanging Coins usually delivers. Also, another forum reminded me of John Cornelius' "Coin that Falls Up." Another fantastic effect.
I agree with the post above...
CMH and the jumping bill on rubberband ladder are very strong!
That David Harkey trick in Ah-Ha! The one where you lock your keys in your car and then magically unlock the car. The remote unlockers and it is great. I believe in planed impromtu effects.

Lee
My version of Think-a-card. A borrowed, legit shuffled deck. I display all 52 cards look away, and still know what card their thinking of. Its a veriation of a version my mentor Chris Ivanovich taught me. Theres a video at http://www.blacklagoon.org if you'd like to see it.
Message: Posted by: StreetMagicMagician (Apr 12, 2003 10:32AM)
Yeah...I love Crazy Man's Handcuffs. It's a great effect and people I show it to are always amazed.
I've recently been in a situation where parents were telling kids I was a magician and I only had cards on me. I ended up doing England's penetration (AoA), gypsy thread, and coins across. Since then I've learnt CMH and re-caped with all this, I would of had a show all from borrowed objects!
Spellbound, Matrix or Card Warp are hard to beat. Otherwise if it is completely impromptu I do the old breaking a pencil with a dollar bill. As old as it is, it has never failed to get a positive reaction.
Come on guys, we have to think of the classics... how about the ambitious card?
I don't think that cards count as impromptu.
Yes,

By impromptu I mean NO CARD, and even NO COIN!!! Just NOTHING!!!

:kermit:
Come on Franfran, absolutely nothing? That would take it down to the linking fingers behind the head. Haha!

Actually a lot of the "Body Tricks" could certainly be counted as impromptu. The arm twist that Blaine did on his special or the outstretched and locked hand twisty thing Copperfield did would qualify. (Sorry I don't remnember the names of these tricks and I'm not about to look them up.)

Some of the pseudo hypnosis stuff would be good too, such as lifting a person using two fingers (and four people) This believe it or not was presented as the real thing on the Coast to Coast AM website, or the one where the person is asked to look through an imaginary hole in the top of their head while eyes shut and then eyes are locked in closed position.

BTW - Not wanting to upset all the card people but the ambitious card is boring and loved mostly by those who do it - oh what the heck, I DO want to upset all the card people :)
Theres a great impromptu mentalism effect in Theatre of the mind where you predict what hand one of two spectators has a borrowed object.

Also I like balducci's levitation!

A little cold reading.

The mentalism classics...
I enjoy doing the trick switch or the 2 card monte :bluebikes:
If absolutly nothing, I would choose

1) Twisting arm
2) Levitation

Hirase
If you are performing for your girlfriend's little son, I believe the trick of taking your thumb off and taking it back is one of the best. If you want to find out whether he is impressed or not, Don't forget to ask him if you can try with his thumb.
Mago Mai
Arm twist-
Balls over head-
Center tear mentalism-
If absolutely no props are allowed then Arm twist.
Balducci's levitation is OK if it's for 1 or 2 people.
Balls over head is a great one! :bg:
I also like the Torn and Restored Rubberband trick that I learned from one of Dan Harlan's Videos. Vanishing a borrowed ring or coin with a simple French Drop is great too.
King rising by ellusionist.com
If I had no props, and in short sleaves (so no twisting arm illusion) I would go to Meir Yedids, Finger Vanishes! I usually start with my Ring finger saying that I was born without it. I reach through the gap with my right hand which really looks odd. I then show the back of my hand and still no ring finger. Then "grow" a ring finger. It looks weird. I may post a video of it if anyone is interested.

Chad
I'm certainly interested. Would love to see a video chad.
I'm very interested, it sounds GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT!!!

Best,

Franfran :kermit:
Meir Yedid's "Finger Fantasies" stuff is the ultimate way to go in impromptu. I like to do the Telescoping Pinky, the old Stretching Thumb bit, and end with each of my fingers vanishing and reappearing. You're never sure what kind of response you're going to get. Sometimes people will just laugh hysterically because they don't know how to respond. Sometimes it's a moment of really deep astonishment. (And sometimes they just think you're very flexible). Either way, it's fun.
Is it possible to buy a video or a book about this fingers stuff???
Absolutely. Meir Yedid's "Finger Fantasies" video/DVD should be available at most magic shops. It features two live performances of his finger act (so you get a feel for the audience reactions) and good explanations. You don't have to have flexible fingers to perform it either (thank God). It's not for everyone but I think it's wonderful.
I've already seen a performance for this kind of magic, and the guy was very, VERY stretchy and I was feeling worried for his fingers! :hmm:

But if you say that it's not necessary to have stretchy fingers, I'm interested!

Do you know if I could find an online video?

Thanx!!!

Is Finger Fantasies a joke? I mean the method is so painful. I can't see any good reaction expect for the type of alright, just go to the next trick type of thing.

Lee
Don't know about an on-line video. If you look up the product however, there's usually a picture of the video cover and on the cover you can see some still images of what the finger vanishes look like. And yes, no flexibility is needed. This was something I was worried about too.
Flexibility is not really an issue. Its more about angles. As far as reactions go, you get anything from laughs to odd looks. I have even been accused of using a 'fake hand'! go figure!

Chad
pyro_magic - The method is painful? Do you mean that literally or figuratively? Anyway, if you've ever seen Meir Yedid perform this, you know that (when presented well) the reactions are anything but indifferent.
I'd have to go with a version of the twisting arm illusion but it's done in the air. I don't know who originated it but it's a killer.
Where can we get the trick or the principle?
My favorite impromptu is Scotch and Soda. The French Drop is fun as well.
I think Stirring Silver would be a good one. All you need is a borrowed spoon and finger ring (it would certainly work over a meal).
CHM

Anything by Wilson and Weber

I also do a funky torn and restored card which is impromptu. (no dups)
Go to http://www.penguinmagic.com and search for finger fantasies. They have a Demo video which is pretty cool. I like the part when he chops his finger off with a knife.
I agree with a lot of posters, CMH is a great illusion and my favorite impromptu trick.

I saw the finger fantasies video referred to above. It looks bizarre!
Okay I have decided. I think some of the best impromptu effects EVER are Jay Sankey's Stirring Silver, Vinny Marini's Warped and Restored, and Tenkai's Tenkai Pennies.

Andrew
Could you guys give me the complete name of CMH and where I could get the trick???

Thanx!

In my mind there is no "greatest" impromptu effects. It is all about the performer.

Cards can be impromptu if you are given a deck by someone and the effects need NO setup.

Some of my favorites are:

Ring and string effects.
CMH as well as other rubber band effects.
Cups and Balls with coffee cups and napkins.
2 in the hand effects with napkins.
Coins across with borrowed quarters.
Ambitious Card with a borrowed deck.
My dilemma too;
Have finaly decided to routine a few coin items (that's pretty impromtu) Silveradoo has one such routine that is very similar to my own. But then it depends on what is available. Rubber bands, string for cut and restored or Curry's "Linked", slat for Sleight of Foot. Decided to get-just this week-Gardner's Ency of Impromptu because that is exactly what one is expected to do by kids etc. in stand-up situations.

Bob Long, put out a book for Ringling Bros on impromptu and I just realized that even if I learned only his string section, I was prepared. Also, learning every trick in Lorrayne's Magic Book will do very well.

Marty K :bikes:
CMH all the way, I just love the effect, I am even amazed when I perform it :wow: :lol:
CMH and Recap!
I just got recap down pretty well, it's my new favorite impromptu trick. I have changed the routine around a little and I like it better. I usually throw in pen through cheek also. Together, they are killer.

P.S. I use the impromptu pen thru cheek from shock FX by Andrew Mayne.
My personal favorite is recap by Greg Wilson
or CMH.
Could someone tell me where I could get the explanation for CMH!!!

Thanx guys,

CMH is really good, but...
One year ago I see my friend routine with ruberbands. In last move he has 2 ruberbands handling like on CMH ending, and in one clear move linked ruberbands. At the end he makes clasic CMH.
He named this manipulation "revers and classic CMH"
Recap, CMH and Kenners linked bands... :cool:
Another vote for CMH! Wonderful Wonderful Trick!
Recap. OMG this is soooo much fun.
CMH all the way... I have been carrying rubber bands in my wallet for years! Even got to perform it on National TV twice! I'm in Malaysia btw! (So you guys probably wouldn't have seen it... sigh...) :)

The twisting clasped hand illusion ala David Copperfield also kills 'em! I use to follow it up with the Arm Twisting until that got exposed here... sigh... :bawl:

I do my own presentation of Finger Fantasies and that's a killer too!

Coins are usually available, so any sleights you know should come in handy! However, like someone said, what makes it good, impromptu or not, is the performer and the performance NOT the trick or the method! :online:
The trick where you throw the Napkins over the guys head. that's so funny and so much fun to do! They never know what you do until you tell them. :lol:
CMH = Crazy Man's Handcuffs

The routine is written up in great detail in the Magic of Michael Ammar. I'm not positive, but I would assume it is on one of the Dan Harlan Rubber Band videos.

Once you learn the basic move, Jon Allen has some great work on the routine in is Spectators Don't Exist video. The video is great, but it does not explain the most basic "move", so look it up first on one of the Harlan videos or in the Ammar book. Happy hunting.

:pepper: :cucumber: :pepper: :cucumber:
Triumph. From ellusionist. :D
Impromptu, hmmmm. I have always had the view that, if you want people to think you are a good magician you always have something prepared but make it look impromptu. e.g. I noticed that one of a group of friends had started smoking some weird cigarillo type thing, craftily noted the brand and then the next few times out always had one of the same brand in my pocket with TT handy. When called upon to perform I just took one of his rare cigarettes, tore it up, restored it, and left even my more magiclly aware friends confused as to how that could be possible. Preparation is everything !!!
Toren and Restored Cigerette? Sweet! :yikes:

By the way..What is TT? I feel so left out! :no:
How about Lonnie Chevrie's Finger Thru Bill?

Borrowed bill, never leaves spectator's sight + cool effect.
Pinacle is a good effect :dance:
Coin Magic
Mentalism with just a pen and paper.
Any of Banachek's stuff.
Knepper's material, if you are strong enough.
Twisting are illusion.
A couple good jokes.
There's a book called Lifesavers by Weber and of course, Ency. of Impromptu Magic by Gardner which I regret that I do not own.
I like to wait for someone to pull a small pocketknife out of their pocket, preferrably one that has a label on only one side, such as "Old Timer" or "Buck" knife. I look at their knife and "fiddle" with it doing the p***** move in D grip. Next thing you know, the label is gone, then on both sides, then gone, then back to normal. Really quick, no more than a minute. With their knife. I've never lost the secret and I've done it many, many times.
I also like to do the effect where they clasp their hands together, point their index fingers up and hold them together. Then the screw and screwdriver bit where the screw screws their index fingers together, etc. You may be familiar with the deal, it's been described before, 'though I know not where.
And the twisting arm...yeah...that one just KILLS.
Fun stuff...all impromptu...all solid.
Patrick
Gotta go with recap ! :D