(Close Window)
Topic: High Quality Close Up Mats/Boards
I would really appreciate any useful contacts for sourcing a top quality close up mat or performance board other than Arlen Studio or Dean Dill.

All recommendations are welcome!
Gibson Close-Up Pads and Magician's Choice Close-up Mats are both great!
Thanks Mark, I will check them out.
I make heavy duty, performance pads, PM me for more info.
The best closeup pad use by the pros is company is PMS; they have best I ever seen. Their website is http://www.pmsmagic.com
I'm not sure about the others but the close up mat I ordered from Penguin works really well for me.
I asked the gentleman at the Magic Auction to design one and he did!!! I purchased five of them some with loading sleeves and some without. They were the highest quality for a reasonable price. You should check to see if he has any remaining.

-Jared
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Jul 2, 2003 01:16PM)
I second DrPepper, I know Pat, and he does a great job! http://www.pmsmagic.com
Gibson's I believe is the one with a rubber back. It's needed for a trick by Doug Conn that's very effective. Also keeps the mat from slipping.
You can buy close-up pad material from a fabric shop and make your own if you wish?

Just a thought if you have something specific in mind.
Frank, when you say close-up mat material, what do you mean? I have heard people say that you can buy wet suit material at a fabric shop, which is perfect, neoprene with a cloth cover, but I have never been able to find any... :worry:
It depends on your style of course but I find using a real Oriental rug adds a lot of class to your look. Also there are some very inexpensive ($30) Oriental look a likes that are great too.
I Use Trevor Duffy´s Close-Up Mat and I think it is great!

"It is supplied in BLACK and is available in two sizes: 11 x 14 inch and 14 x 18 inch.

Non wrinkling.
99% non slip!
Does not attract hair, fluff, etc.
Fully washable.
Soft rubber underlay."
[quote]
On 2003-08-28 22:40, Mark Martinez wrote:
Frank, when you say close-up mat material, what do you mean? I have heard people say that you can buy wet suit material at a fabric shop, which is perfect, neoprene with a cloth cover, but I have never been able to find any... :worry:
[/quote]
I've never been able to find any either.
Both Mark and Macruz say that they can't find wet suit material. Try reading this post: work shop—table top, mat padding.
I bought a pad from the funhouse a couple of years back. It was black velvet over two densities of foam with a solid plywood back. It is the sweetest pad I have ever had the pleasure of using. I just found out this weekend that it was made by martini magic. It is not on their site so I do not know if it is still being made or not. Lou sold the funhouse, and the new guys only have the standard pads. After using this pad, I could never think of using anything else.
S.
Mark, You might try looking for wet-suit material at a lithographic or screen-print supply store. It's commonly used on vacuum tables in those industries. Goodyear rubber also sells it.
If you use (or want to) a pad like Martini's or Dill's in table-hopping, you might be interested in my newest product, the "Table-Hopper's Friend" (THF). Check it out here:

[outdated link]