(Close Window)
Topic: Ideas for a limited magician...
Hi,

A non-magical acquaintance of mine has a father who was a very active amateur magician in years past. He suffered a stroke, and though his mental capacity is fine, he is extremely limited as far as physical movement of his hands is concerned. The friend told me he misses being able to perform. I'm going to compile a list of items he might be able to perform, and I'd appreciate any ideas.

I was thinking some mentalism items which use the magician's choice would be good, and I'm also going to talk to him about memory work, and possibly memorized deck tricks, if I can discover some which are more or less self working.

Any other thoughts on what might be good?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-- Jeff Binning
God bless you, Jeff. This is a kind and noble thing to do.
How about Lorayne's Lazy Man's Card Trick. A great starter, easy to set up, spec does all the work. And it begs for creative, inventive presentation, should keep him busy thinking about that.
Or, again as a starter, a 4 Ace trick...argh, I can't remember the name of it. Four Aces on top, spec cuts the deck into 4 piles, A B C D, the 4 Aces are now on top of D. Direct the spec to deal 3 cards off the top of pile A to the bottom of the same pile, then 1 card to each of the other piles, etc. Do the same for next three piles, then have spec reveal the top card of each pile, which of course will be an Ace. This blew me away the first time I saw this years ago.
I'm sure you'll get many, many more from others.
I like you already.
Cheers!
Phil
Daryl has a killer effect where the magician selects a card and never touches the deck. The spectator shuffles the cards and finds the selection, but has no idea how he did it. It is really clever. Daryl has it in one of his lecture notes. PM me if you want more information.
The effect is "Dream a Card, Any Card", and you can find it in Magic for Dummies, an extremely good beginner's magic book--it's even good for experienced magicians.
I had completely forgotten it was in the Dummies book. Rats! Another great effect out to the general public. Luckily, not too many people are interested enough to read this stuff.

Steven
Thanks for the ideas. I had forgotten about the Dummies book. I bought it a few years ago for $5.00, when I saw it on a sale table. I honestly hadn't spent too much time with it, but it's filled with lots of good "stuff". Divide and Conquer from that book could also be used without any direct contact, and I'm sure I'll find others as I read it carefully.

-- Jeff Binning
Jeff,

Don't throw the chair at me when I make my recommendation. :eek:
I understand your friend's condition and limited use of hands. I also understand your great idea of compiling a list of effects he can perform in his present condition.
I recommend you start him on the ideas mentioned thus far and card manipulation. That's right I said card manipulation. First and foremost, start him with effects he CAN do without manual dexterity while occasionally practicing say a card backpalm. Have him practice such with both hands.
Maybe he can pursue his interest in magic while performing effects recommended above and strengthen/rehabilitate muscle and motor skills in his hands with the card manipulation. Unless there is total paralysis of the hands, there is another opportunity to practice. Lots of hope here. :smiles:
Randy,

I'd agree with your comments completely, however, the magician I'm referring to is the father of a friend of mine, and he lives on the other side of the country. I happened to be talking to his daughter (my friend), and she mentioned he had been active in magic, but since his hands became incapacitated, he could no longer be involved, though he wished he could.

If I lived near him, I'd definitely take a more active role in encouraging him, but for the present, I'm just giving him some ideas to rekindle his involvement.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-- Jeff Binning
Dai Vernons out of sight out of mind?
Also try some of Bob Hummer's material. Some very good stuff. Anyone here have any of his material? What do you guys think? Would Bob's material be appropriate? I used to have his notes but I loaned them to a friend who passed away so I never got them back. Oh well...

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
This might be a shot in the dark but you never know...
Try contacting David Copperfield's people about which hospitals are currently implementing his "Project Magic" in their rehabilitation program.
You could give it a try.
And I'll second Phil. This is a kind and noble thing to do. :)
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Jul 10, 2003 05:21PM)
Jeff,

My own effect "The Grand Master Gambit" would be a suitable effect. It is published in Syzygy. If you have it look it up, if you don't then contact me and I will fill you in in the details.
Bri