(Close Window)
Topic: Surprised by Uday Cups
I picked up that 3 cup set of Uday cups on eBay last week. I never took the time to add any of them to my collection. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the quality. I was expecting some typical Indian scrap metal cups coated in toxic lacquer but these are all spun well, stack well and use a decent thickness of metal.

color me surprised!

-todd
The chop cups are especially stout because of the double layer - I bought 3 chop cups for the set and am/was very content..........
[quote]
On 2008-09-18 17:56, lint wrote:
color me surprised!
[/quote]

[img]http://www.jdweaver.com/graphics/surprise.gif[/img]
Then I guess I got a dysfunctional set. Mine don't stack right at all, and the metal is extremely thin and light.
I'm not saying they aren't bargain cups, however I expected (and have bought) much worse.

I would recommend these right along side Morrissey's cups.

-todd
My first cups were Udays, I liked them fine. That was until I got my hands on one of Jake's cups.
Mine too. I performed with them long time until I got my Phoenix and my Penguin, wich I use in my regular performs. They were excellent and so cheap... the good times. (I still use the Uday balls, some kind of nostalgy may be.)
[quote]
On 2008-09-18 21:13, MagicByUriel wrote:
Then I guess I got a dysfunctional set. Mine don't stack right at all, and the metal is extremely thin and light.
[/quote]

Me too!
Just wondering whether the m***** in the Uday chop cup consistently strong with all of them? Anyone having problem with the chop ball on the Uday Chop cup?
[quote]
On 2008-09-19 03:24, JamesTong wrote:
Just wondering whether the m***** in the Uday chop cup consistently strong with all of them? Anyone having problem with the chop ball on the Uday Chop cup?
[/quote]

No. But if two balls are in the cup, and you turn it over - both balls come down. Makes it hard to do the Mendoza routine.
I really like the Uday Chop ball myself. Where it may be too weak for larger cups, it works perfectly with my aluminum Little Don.
[quote]
On 2008-09-19 14:26, MagicByUriel wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-09-19 03:24, JamesTong wrote:
[/quote]

No. But if two balls are in the cup, and you turn it over - both balls come down. Makes it hard to do the Mendoza routine.
[/quote]

There's why I make my own gaff balls specially to be able to do the Mendoza routine.
Are the Uday cups very light or heavy enough compared to the standard brass cups?
[quote]
On 2008-09-20 14:48, Lawrence O wrote:
Are the Uday cups very light or heavy enough compared to the standard brass cups?
[/quote]

I have copper PF cups from Jake Zimmerman, and compared to them the Udays are feather light.
Again, the Uday chop cups are twice the weight of the regular Udays becauze they are double lined - well worth the $20..........
Would buying the Uday Combo Set or Bazar de Magia Combo set ( one chop cup + two non-chop cups) be basically the same thing in terms of [i]weight[/i] of the cups because to match the look and weight of the chop cup do they make the other two cups of equal weight with a double-lining ? Or is it made so the Combo Set has one heavier cup , and two lighter weight cups ? That might be useful in keeping track of the chop cup , but also might be awkward for handling since the other two cups would feel so different .
[quote]
On 2008-09-21 14:37, David Todd wrote:
Would buying the Uday Combo Set or Bazar de Magia Combo set ( one chop cup + two non-chop cups) be basically the same thing in terms of [i]weight[/i] of the cups because to match the look and weight of the chop cup do they make the other two cups of equal weight with a double-lining ? Or is it made so the Combo Set has one heavier cup , and two lighter weight cups ? That might be useful in keeping track of the chop cup , but also might be awkward for handling since the other two cups would feel so different .
[/quote]

I have a Uday combo set, and the chop cup weighs at least double the amount as the normal cups do. Yes it is easier to keep track of, but the weight difference can get a little awkward to handle.
So buy three chop cups - you won't be disappointed for the price......
Bazar cups are heavier than the Udays. Quality is a few steps up as well. Bazar chop cup is poorly designed though.

-todd
[quote]
On 2008-09-21 22:11, Robert Kohler wrote:
So buy three [Uday] chop cups - you won't be disappointed for the price......
[/quote]

I was able to take a close look at the Uday copper chop cup at a magic shop this week. The size and weight felt ok to me, but the chop gimmick is very obvious, not well disguised at all , so I would not use this for a chop cup routine where any heat is on the cup. (and I realize of course that Robert Kohler was not suggesting to use it as a chop cup, but to use three of them for a normal C & B routine). I can see that three of these Uday chop cups used for a normal (non-gimmicked) C & B routine would make a nice , inexpensive starter set of cups. As long as no heat is on the cups I don't think the poorly disguised chop cup gimmick is too much of an issue. These can be found for $9.95 (Buy-it-Now price) on eBay , so yeah, for about $30.00 a pretty decent starter set of cups and balls. A set of regular Morrissey copper cups is around $45.00 at full retail price (possibly less on eBay) . To my eyes the regular Morrissey copper cups look better . So is it worth it to save about $15.00 ?

Side-by -side in the magic shop compared with the standard copper Morrissey Cups or Bazar de Magia cups
I noticed that the copper color of the Morrissey and the Bazar cups is a [i]richer, deeper copper color[/i] , which does make me wonder if the Uday cups are pure copper or a copper color plating of some sort ?

At the magic shop I took a photo of the inside of the Uday cup with my cell phone :

see [url=http://inklingstudio.typepad.com/Uday_Chop.jpg]here[/url] and [url=http://inklingstudio.typepad.com/Uday_Chop_2.jpg]here[/url] for photos of the cup from two different angles . Does that seem as obvious to everyone else as it does to me ?
I saw a set of combo copper cups in a local magic shop. They stacked perfectly, looked great, felt fairly heavy and the chop cup strength was perfect. The shop owner sold me them for 50, which I felt like was a pretty good deal. Then I found out they were uday, which is crazy because they seemed so much nicer. I guess I'm pretty impressed with the quality of uday. My first set was magic de bazar and I think uday's copper set is nicer, and definitely more functional for what I do with them.

long story short I sorta got ripped off for supporting a local shop.
Message: Posted by: Al Kazam the Magic Man (Apr 7, 2009 03:21AM)
Well, you are also paying for the opportunity to play with them before buying, plus all the other costs of running a brick and mortar place. If there was one here where I live I would probably support them to if of course the prices were not too ridiculous.

JoJo
Yeah the key is: "not too ridiculous"

I understand supporting local shops and I knew they would be cheaper on line but I could have got them at penguin for 22 minus a 10 percent discount and free shipping compared to 50 at the shop

Then again, penguin is an evil company.

Oh well I guess it was worth it to get cups that seem ok.
Though I find the Uday cups light for my taste they are very very good for what they cost. I got the combo so it includes a Chop Cup which is heavier than the other three. Wish all the four were same weight. But's that my taste. Excellent value for money and they look nice as well. Get it out of your head that anything made in India is bad. Things made by Sam, Uday and Tayday are excellent.

[quote]
On 2009-04-07 12:35, bkp007 wrote:

Then again, penguin is an evil company.

[/quote]

Why is Penguin an evil company?
Bear in mind that the Uday cups are a knockoff of the Monti cups. There is no comparison at all between a set of genuine Monti cups and a set of Uday cups.

Penguin has a reputation for being an evil company due to actions in the past. They seem to have cleaned up their act in recent years.
[quote]
On 2011-10-07 01:28, Bill Palmer wrote:
There is no comparison at all between a set of genuine Monti cups and a set of Uday cups.
[/quote]

You are right Bill, Monti Cups are $342 (cups only, you buy the rest apart)and Uday's cups are $26 with 4 balls and a velvet carry bag. It is like comparing BMW with TATA Nano. Please suggest cups which are around $60 and are good quality for learners.