(Close Window)
Topic: Pencil/Pen Through Bills
Hi everyone,
I would like to know your favourite Pencil/Pen Through Bill effects which you use or know of.
I am trying to make a list of them, so I can choose which ones I will use.

My favourites:
Invisible Hole (Johnny Hirose)
Knife (Masuda)
Misled
"East Meets West" by David Harkey and Eric Anderson from: Simply Harkey
Thanks, I will check it out.
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Sep 24, 2008 04:58PM)
Perfect Pen/Original Pen Through Anything - John Cornelius

The August issue of MAGIC included an ungimmicked version of Misled by Daniel Garcia, called Butter Bill, that you might want to check out.

There's another one that I used for a while, but I can't recall the name....so this sentence probably doesn't help.... :)
Ken Kuroki's Cocktail Bill penetration from 5x5 Japan is really nice.
[quote]
On 2008-09-24 17:58, Michael J. Douglas wrote:
Perfect Pen/Original Pen Through Anything - John Cornelius
[/quote]
I second those.
I regularly perform Misled and highly recommend it.

I used to perform with the Cornelius pen, but found that I preferred the cheaper "Bic" style pens. I've stopped performing pen through bill because the trick is being demoed too much at magic kiosks in the mall and such.

A couple of years ago, I began hearing words that I don't like to hear as a working pro:

"That's a cool trick. They sell those at ****, I'm going to buy one."

After I heard it a few times, I scratched the routine.

-Wayne
The only one I do is one I learned from another magi and is non-gimmicked.
No idea of the source, but I believe it's similar to Sankey's trick but without the paper cover.
If you're looking for impromptu, Ken Kuroki's Cocktail Bill penetration from 5x5 Japan is hard to beat.
Check out Jim Pace's work on this. He's got a good one in his lecture notes.
Misled is my personal favorite too. It's very reliable and I like how you can use different pencils for the effect. I also love the melting phase of the routine. It blows the audience away. Hands down, Misled is the best.
East meets West meets South from Ah-Ha and on Harkey on video. It is a very strong, convincing, effect.

DO
I have one called "Executive Pen". It is pretty easy to perform, gets a good reaction, and can be examined (though I'm not into passing my stuff out). Does anyone know it this is a knockoff (or ripoff) of someone else's product? I ask because this thing was very reasonably priced.
Wolverine Formula
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=DA2246

No gaffed pen

Jeff
Hi, Jeff, sounds very interesting. Can you put up a demo? I would love to see a sample.
vinny
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Oct 30, 2008 02:55PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 17:31, Sammy J. wrote:
I have one called "Executive Pen". It is pretty easy to perform, gets a good reaction, and can be examined (though I'm not into passing my stuff out). Does anyone know it this is a knockoff (or ripoff) of someone else's product? I ask because this thing was very reasonably priced.
[/quote]

Sammy,
Click [url=http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/artpen.htm]here[/url] for a little history on the "Pen Through" effect. I did a search for the Executive Pen, and it looks an awful lot like the Cornelius products.
Thanks, Michael.
It looks to me like my pen is a knock off of John Cornelius' Perfect Pen. Probably the Magic Makers version. I bought it at a local magic shop. The packaging and instructions don't say anything about Magic Makers, but it sure looks the same. I hate it when people rip off true creators.
I have one of the "Executive Pens". It's the Magic Makers version. I plan on getting a Cornelius' Perfect Pen soon. I don't care for people who rip off the original creators, either.
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 21:02, vinsmagic wrote:
Hi, Jeff, sounds very interesting. Can you put up a demo? I would love to see a sample.
vinny
[/quote]

The demo is in this link, Vin. http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=DA2246 It's Jordan Johnson's.

Jeff
Hi,
I am looking for a pen/pencil through bill in whitch you can borrow the pen/pencil and the bill and let them be examined. I was thinking of getting "Misled" but can all the stuff really be borrowed?? What are the differences with "Just Passin' Through"?? I tried to check "Ken Kuroki's Cocktail Bill" but cannot manage to find it, any info?? I like the idea of an ungimmicked version I'll check Harley's book.

Thanks.
The one I do is "East Meets West" by David Harkey and Eric Anderson
Jeff I saw hiis demo but not the effect..
contact dean dill he showed me a impromptu effect that is teriffic but I am not at liberty to show you because the effect as I know is not yet published
vinny
I personally like "A.E. 2.0" by peter eggink and "dough" from sankey. for gimmicked versions I like "sharpie thru anything" by jb magic. Also look for the "pen thru anything" dvd by john. It has some great patter ideas and penetration ideas too.
I recently learned "East Meets West" from Genii and I think I will get A.E.2 sometime in the future. Also, what about Misleading Mislead? Anyone use that?
I personally hate it, it is very angel-ly and very not very convincing if I recall(i bought it a long time ago)
A few that have not yet been mentioned...

Now UZ It (Dan Harlan)
Invisible Slit (Hiro Sakai)
1000 Yen Restoration (Hiro Sakai) - an updated, improved version of Invisible Slit

The Sakai items are meant to be pocket knife through bill.
I also like Kuroki's Cocktail Bill Penetration and Hirose's Invisible Hole.
[quote]
On 2008-12-20 11:34, Magiguy wrote:
A few that have not yet been mentioned...

Now UZ It (Dan Harlan)
Invisible Slit (Hiro Sakai)
1000 Yen Restoration (Hiro Sakai) - an updated, improved version of Invisible Slit

The Sakai items are meant to be pocket knife through bill.
I also like Kuroki's Cocktail Bill Penetration and Hirose's Invisible Hole.
[/quote]
I also like Hirose's Invisible Hole, are the Sakai's invisible slit tricks published in english or Japanese, and where?
Invisible Slit can be found in "The Minotaur" (volume 4, number 3 - Sept. 1992).
Where can I obtain that magazine, is Invisible Slit published anywhere in Japanese?
Doug Edward's Wonder-Pen-E-tration. Tenyo put out an improved version some time back.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3cokBO98qI

There is the link to The Wolverine Formula. I had to film my own demo because the production company put up a crap one, but in light of that I put a demo up that shows both card and money versions with no edits, cuts, and it shows the entire routine from start to finish.

JJ
JJ very nice but yoiu went out of the frame ???for a brief moment
Let me direct you to the Latest and Greatest thread and the first post by myself tells why I cropped it and there is also a review about half way down.

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=276275&forum=218

Any more questions feel free to ask...

JJ
Jay Sankey's Dough is good, imprompto, everything can be borrowed, although I think it is stronger with a signed post it note. Combine it with Smashed by Sankey. The same pencil goes through a coin. The torn pieces of coin protrude and makes it look good.
I bought Executive pen at a magic auction thinking it was Cornelius's Perfect Pen. I can always use a backup. It is the worst copy of something I have ever seen. Mine is impossibe to do because it works too hard. I probably could disassemble it and make it work but I have 3 Cornelius's pens and don't need and extra now. For shame Magic Makers.
I use the pen thru anything its well very constructed.
I also do the old fold the bill up, then fold a small paper over that and push a pen thru it and let the spec pull it out. I use both. I like having a couple methods of doing things if I can.
Mislead and East Meets West are both great. One that hasn't been mentioned is Void by Daniel Garcia but that is a straw thru bill effect.
Message: Posted by: Illusion & Beyond (May 20, 2010 07:47PM)
I use my fathers version of Sharpie thru anything. He has mad this for a long time and I always thought this was the best version I ever seen. You can pull the sharpie straight back through the hole you just pushed it through instead of sliding it off the bill or card.
Vanni Bossi's is an absolute miracle.
Out of all the ones I've seen Misled is by far the best. Looks amazing and very clean and fair at all times.
My favorite is Super knife thru bill fron Tricks Co. Japan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEP_bCu8Q7s