(Close Window)
Topic: If you perform Extreme Burn...
Hi all,

I'm curious, what denomination of bills do you change to and from? And does anyone use more than one Extreme Burn for different presentations depending on the performing venue?

Thanks in advance,
Glenn
Message: Posted by: The Wizards Machine (Sep 26, 2008 11:56PM)
I go from 1's to 20's. I will work with that for a while. Eventually I just know I am gonna do a 1's to 100's. I was just chicken to glue the hundreds, but found out today after dismantling my first build and rebuilding that rubber cement can be totally removed with no residue or damage. I bought ELMER'S CRAFT BOND type rubber cement. The craft store lady said it was the caviar* of rubber cement.

I started also today to cut out newspaper for another set, but realized I did not have another gimmick. Duh.

*(Not a suggestion that anyone spread it on a cracker. That would be bad.)
As Richard points out on the DVD, I think you will find magazine paper (ideally covers) preferable to newspaper if you decide go that route at some point in time.
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Sep 27, 2008 12:48AM)
I wanted to do mine with newspaper because of my patter, but it was too thin. So, I scanned the newspaper into the computer and printed it on thicker stock. Now it works just fine, and the audience is none the wiser. :idea:
Michael,

Good idea, thanks for the insight and solution. Being able to use "newspaper" opens up some doors to different presentation ideas I never would have thought of.

Glenn
I also change 1's to 20's. I thought about hundreds, but that's a lot of money tied up in your money clip. Sometimes I ask the spectator what he would do with the ones if he/she had magical abilities, and they almost always say "change them to hundreds". So maybe that's the way to go (I need a raise first).

Jim
I also find that if I ask, they say "turn them to hundreds". I have that set and another set with 20s so I can use them to pay for things.
I start off with Spanish different color numbered bills. I end up with a variety of different numbered USA bills.
Message: Posted by: The Wizards Machine (Sep 30, 2008 05:15PM)
Just got back from the pharmacy. I went to pay the 15 dollar co-pay and counted out the 5 ones....

After changing to 20's then back to ones, the pharmacist went nuts. The guy called over his assistant and dared me to do it again. And, of course, that's the beauty of this; it's default position is 'reset' after changing back.

After doing it 2x, they asked me to please pay by credit.
[quote]
On 2008-09-30 18:15, The Wizards Machine wrote:
Just got back from the pharmacy. I went to pay the 15 dollar co-pay and counted out the 5 ones....

After changing to 20's then back to ones, the pharmacist went nuts. The guy called over his assistant and dared me to do it again. And, of course, that's the beauty of this; it's default position is 'reset' after changing back.

After doing it 2x, they asked me to please pay by credit.
[/quote]

LOL
Which bills are possible to build this effect? Because the sizes?

John
Message: Posted by: The Wizards Machine (Oct 1, 2008 07:10PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-01 18:39, John Star wrote:
Which bills are possible to build this effect? Because the sizes?

John
[/quote]

Any bills of the same size can change into one another and back. Also, magazine clippings to bills and back (of same size).
Not bills. It just seems crass to wind up flashing cash at an audience and then pocketing it - at least without setting up some sort of moment where an idea or feeling takes the heat off the cash.
1s into 20s is more feasilbe monetarily for me, however, once I have the funds, I would love to keep a 1s into 100s set on me for that "Change-them-into-hundreds!" guy.
I do 1s to 20s as well. Inevitably someone says turn them to 100s and I just pretend to not hear them correctly and say "That's exactly right. I turned $5 into $100."
I use stiff magazinecovers with lots of colour on them. It helps concealing the gaff more than plain white paper.

Combined with a firewallet it makes for great conversationpieces!

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If you don't want to spend time removing the rubber cement after dismantling your gimmick, just sprinkle baby powder on those sides.

They won't stick together and you can spend the money with no problem.
I change 1's into 2's and love the effect of it. Not only have most people not ever seen 2 dollar bills, some don't even know they exist which adds a cool mystery to it. You can get 2's at pretty much any bank, but most people don't know that.

C
I keep 1's to 5's (but the new fives)... I ask a spectator if they have seen those new fives yet and the big pruple number on them... Either yes or no, take out stack and count money... "oh, thought I could show you something with the 5, but I have five 1's here.." change and then show new fives... You get the point. It is never too much money to have just sitting around and if you need to spend some of it, not too hard to get or on the pocket to replace...

Cheers,

Justin

ASIDE - I used 1's to 2' in "Slow Burn"
I change copied black and white 10 euro bills to real ten euro bills.
As the bills in extreme burn need to be the same size has anyone any ideas on this for using UK currency as they are all different?
Is one limited to using magazine clippings or plain paper?
[quote]
On 2008-09-27 00:46, Glenn Morphew wrote:
Hi all,

I'm curious, what denomination of bills do you change to and from? And does anyone use more than one Extreme Burn for different presentations depending on the performing venue?

Thanks in advance,
Glenn
[/quote]

I use 1's to 100's ever since starting with Hundy 500 several years ago and now when performing EB.
Invariably someone will say "do it again!" at that point, I tell them if they have a dollar I'll change it into a million. While they are fishing for their dollar, I ditch the bills and load a TT and go into a bill change.
Does anyone have any suggestions for bill changes from say, 20 Euro, into some other inexpensive currency, like maybe Zimbabwe cash, or, like someone else suggested, Spanish currency? I've tried it with magazine clippings, and the feel isn't right - the handling seems awkward. With proper notes, it works a lot better. There are some nice big Zimbabwe notes out there, like million dollar bills, and even billion dollar bills.. but, physically, they're the wrong size.
Really looking for something the same size, or large, so they can be cut down, but still leaving a white border if poss..

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

DCB
I use one to twenties it works great.
I used to do $1's into $10's because of the color change from green to orange. Gave it an extra pop! Performed the expensive version a few times and found it was the best. I can't afford that version for the time being therefore I don't do Extreme Burn anymore.

Best,

Doug L.
[quote]
On 2009-01-02 16:46, deadcatbounce wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for bill changes from say, 20 Euro, into some other inexpensive currency, like maybe Zimbabwe cash, or, like someone else suggested, Spanish currency? I've tried it with magazine clippings, and the feel isn't right - the handling seems awkward. With proper notes, it works a lot better. There are some nice big Zimbabwe notes out there, like million dollar bills, and even billion dollar bills.. but, physically, they're the wrong size.
Really looking for something the same size, or large, so they can be cut down, but still leaving a white border if poss..

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

DCB
[/quote]

You can take a cue from Michael's post above regarding newspaper clippings: scan some bills into your computer and then re-size and print on quality paper.
You can change any denomination to any other denomination, and the routine works. However, as a magician, if I'm going to perform magic and change say $1 bills into another denomination, doesn't it make sense to change the $1 into the highest denomination possible?
Where I live we use euros and the bills have different sizes. So I bought paper with the same color of the 5s bills and printed monopoly money on them.

After a few days of use we can notice the gi**ick on the bills. Does anyone have a solution?
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned using lottery tickets. Here in the UK they are just a little bit wider and longer than our bills, and you have a built in rationale to boot.

Plus, you don't have to change the tickets into the highest denomination.

As soon as I find some rubber cement I'm going to make a set up.:)
Well, I imagine no one from the USA mentioned lottery tickets because they are significantly smaller than our bills.
Amost everynight I work, I'm asked by at least one person to change their $1.00 bills into $100 dollar bills. I've had people on the sly, whisper in my ear and request I perform "That $100 bill thing" for their group. People just love it.
Okay guys, here's what I decided upon with Extreme Burn. This routine has a lot of pluses if you want a nice routine rather than just the one big bang of a ones to hundreds change.

The routine allows for 3 changes, and only ties up $66 in cash. The first thing I decided to do is make the cash look like a regular variety of bills rather than all one denomination. I use 2 fives, a ten, two twenties and the rest are ones. I initially show the sixty dollars. If you wanted, you could substitute a ten for a twenty and tie up only $56.

If you know extreme burn you should be able to follow the script.

"Sometimes when I go out, I need to carry a lot of money but I really don't like to carry a lot of cash. I don't have that much on me right now... I have 5,10,20,40, 60 dollars. I didn't do it today, but a lot of times before I leave the house I cleverly disguise all of my money to look like one dollar bills" (do first change)

as I show the 5 ones I say "Fortunately the government doesn't consider this counterfitting, like most people they consider this crazy! But I've done the math and statistically, I'm eleven times less times less likely to get mugged now."

"Of course it's always fun when I decide to buy something. The look on the cashiers face is priceless when I change the ones back into my sixty dollars so I can pay her." (do your second change)

"and of course before I leave the register I always change my cash back into ones,(do the 3rd change) and then the streets of Chicago are safe to walk again."

Hope you like it, it's been serving me well.

Glenn
Interesting -- that's the first I've heard of someone using a mix of bills. Also thanks for getting us thinking about routines to put around this incredible effect.

Also check out the patter below from [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=292177&forum=210&12]this thread[/url]...

[quote]
On 2009-01-08 10:35, Ragnu (the O.K.) wrote:
I love this effect! I think it may be one of the most visual and magical close-up effects I've ever done!

I use 4 $1's that turn into $50's. One thing I've discovered after doing this for awhile is that there is a lot of heat on the bills after the transformation(s). I added a rubber check at the end of my presentation to use as motivation to ditch the bills and add a little final chukle. My shtick is as follows:

"Let me show you something that I think is so much fun, it borders on illegal. Well, that may be overstating it, but it sure as hell drives cashiers crazy! Especially at the supermarket. (I can't help it, I'm convinced there's a ten-year-old kid trapped somewhere deep inside.) I love doing this on Saturday mornings, when it's my turn to do the shopping; and, I've just unloaded a week's worth of groceries from the cart. (By the way, are you ever the designated shopper? ... Then, I'm sure you can relate.) As they're checking me out, if I'm feeling particularly mischevious, I'll casually reach into my pocket and take out a wimpy, wad of ones; and just stand there and wait. When they're at the last few items I can almost feel them looking over, watching, wondering 'How the heck does he think he's going to pay for all of this?' When I'll look down and just mumble to myself, 'One, two, three, four... I think I'll need a little MORE!

Well, that's better. Let's see, fifty, one, one-fifty, two; M'am, I'm pretty sure that this should do!'

I wish you could be in line with me. People freak! I once had a little old lady stagger back and go "Hay-zeus!" Better yet, are the young kids, who are like startled deer and'll go "Ahhh!" and then reach for the mike 'Assistance! Register three!'I'll say, 'Please, come on, stop! You don't have to go there; if this is too much for you to handle, relax. In the time it takes to blink; we could start all over again!... Now you guys do accept personal checks, don't you?!'."

Well, there you have it. The choreography of the effect pretty much follows the patter. It's become one of my favorites! (Thank you Richard Sanders!)

All my best,

Jay
[/quote]

Keep the ideas coming!
-Daniel
[quote]
On 2009-01-30 23:06, Glenn Morphew wrote:
The routine allows for 3 changes
[/quote]

The Patrick Page gimmick only lets you change the currency into new currency and back. What 3 changes?

Best,

Doug L.
Doug,

By "3 changes" I didn't mean that the money is changed into three different denominations. For example from 1's to 5's to 100's.

This is what I meant by 3 changes. For the First change, my money goes from $60 down to $5. (The audience visually sees a five change into a one)

For the next change, the five ones are changed back into the $60. In this case, the change I do visually shows a dollar changing into a twenty... but then the bills are immediately spread out to show the $60.

The last change is from $60 back to the 5 singles. (In this case the audience visually sees a five change back into a one.)

So, I perform 3 different changes that Sanders teaches on the dvd in the course of the routine.

My thinking was along these lines. A ones to hundreds change is great, except it's over in a heartbeat and you're tying up $606. One's to anything less than hundreds I found a little hard to justify if you're a magician.

So, I thought up some silly strange stories that allowed me to give my audience as many magical moments (changes) as I could work into the script, not have to tie up $606 and not leave them or me wondering "why didn't he change the ones into hundreds?" This is just one of the stories I use.

Hope that clears up the mystery of the 3 changes.

One last thought... and this is just personal taste. Rather than have bills change from the heads side of a bill to the tails side as Sanders does, I prefer a heads to heads change.

Have fun,
Glenn
I use Canadian $20.00 to $100.00 and it works great using the proper psychological set up.
Hoops. I meant Canadian play money.
This is my patter which really works great: I show the four ones and say, "Most everyone knows whose picture is on the one dollar bill, but do you know whose picture is on the $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 dollar bills?" The spec. trys and almost always misses some. I say nothing about "changing", I simply do it and act like nothing has happened. I start to show them very seriously who each person is on the other bills. This just blows them away! (Much overused phrase) Enjoy!

I use four ones and six mixed bills for the exchange. The bills are a $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 and another $2O.
Judgehiker,
I really like that patter! Nice variation from the "normal" EB presentation.....
Just a quick note to let you know that I'll be using your idea.
I appreciate your contribution! :)

Respectfully,
JRRocha
Judgehiker,

Really nice. PLUS, it is a cheaper wad to carry around than $1's to $100, which is a plus in this economy.

Going to make mine now, and spend those newly freed up $100's!

Thanks,
Mike
I have the DVD but have not made this up yet. I am thinking of printing out dollar bill size grocery coupons and changing the the ones in to the coupons so I could save the money. Does this sound like it could work?
Pete
Pete,

That's a great way to go, and cheap! Patter that coupons are great to save money but there is nothing like real money and bang, you now have a fistful of ones.

Mike
That's what I was thinking. Cheap and a legit reason to change the paper to cash.
Pete
I think this effect begs for some good presentation ideas....We need some more thinking here.
I think you are right Frank. I wish I had something to contribute, but alas, I don't. I do the ones to hundreds. Sometimes back to ones, and it gets an incredible response, but it goes by quite quickly. Let's face it, all we have to work with is a change, then a change back to the original condition. Any other ideas?
Sammy
I FINALLY ordered EB today! I've been meaning to ever since WMS where a friend of Steve Dobson smoked me with his routine. I just kept spacing it out!

I hope to have it sometime next week and can't wait to get it in play! I have some ideas for it in a gambling bit I'm working on!

MMc
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Aug 15, 2009 03:13PM)
EB has become a very strong worker for me. I have patter pertaining to our economy and the bail out and I call them my Obama bucks. Some of my bills have advertising for GM, Chrysler and AIG. People are all saying, show me the Obama bucks! I justify going back to one dollar bills by telling them about inflation. This effect looks like trick photography. I never leave home without it!
My EB came in today's mail, I've watched the DVD but alas it's to late in the day to gather the need materials so I'll be playing a little hooky tomorrow! ;)

More later,

MMc
Oh man, this is so very cool! I've got the mechanics down and am now working on polish and presentation! I first set it up with 1's and 5's but see the eye appeal of 20's or 100's and will be bumping to at least 20's right away!
I love this effect. I started with 1's to 5's then switched to 1's to 20's because it worked better with my story line. I have two different presentations. A clean version and an adult version that takes place in a gentleman's club.

I must agree that Judgehiker's idea is excellent and a new extreme burn is going to be made up on my end. Thanks for the idea!!!!

Mike :)
Hey Mickey, glad you're having fun with it. It is by far the easiest and most visual of the Patrick Page style of the bill change. I know it's expensive, but if you can go to the hundreds you will get the most phenominal response possible. Remember, if times get tough you can alway still spend the hundreds! Have fun!
Sammy
I have 3 different sets made up.
2 sets in my fire wallet and one set in my regular wallet.
I start with ones tell them how you know how some billionaires just don't do much work but are still rich and I say the reason why is because they know the trick about money and by this time I am ready do change the bills and I say it looks like this and change them and show them, depending on the crowd and people watching I will either hand out a few bills to show its all real. Or if there is a heckler or someone who just thinks they know how it works cause they saw the cheap YouTube version
Then I will spread the bills out ditch it with the case and hand them out. Some times I end and it there and sometimes whole they are checking out the bills I get the gimmick copped in my hand amd tke the money back and tell them this highly illegal so let's predend like nothing everhappend and end it and they don't ask to check the bills because I say lest pretend nothing ever happened.

What I do really depends on the moment and the crowd but I love to scare cashiers and present I only have 1s before I change them and then they make sure the bills are real ,lol.
I have a set of 1 to 100 and for when I'm in Europe I use blank paper to 100 euros since euros vary in size.
I go from Mexican Pesos to US Dollars.

You can find old Mexican Pesos that are the exact same size as USD pretty easily on eBay.

Here is a video of my rap as well as the change. It's nice because it is also a good color change.

https://twitter.com/burnt_wick/status/804855777462800384
The most important thing is to never change the 100's back to 1's. I had a debate with a few magicians about this and they do this and I completely disagree. Who wants to see 100's change to 1's?!?!?
[quote]On Oct 16, 2017, Owen wrote:
The most important thing is to never change the 100's back to 1's. I had a debate with a few magicians about this and they do this and I completely disagree. Who wants to see 100's change to 1's?!?!? [/quote]

I think as long as it fits the presentation then it's ok but each to their own.
Glad this thread was bumped back up. There's some great ideas here for sure ! EB is a great effect with many possibilites
...the updated Locked and Loaded is a really nice feature also.
Can someone explain to me the difference between EB 2.0 and EB Locked and Loaded? I have the original version and was wondering if investing in one of the other 2 iterations would be worth it.
Also, can someone clue me in on a source if I just want to purchase a 2nd gimmick. I tried using a washer but it doesn't appear to be heavy enough...probably because its aluminum. I really want to get a 2nd gimmick before the steel tariff's take their toll! LOL Thanks for any info or help you can provide.
I stick with ones to twenties. If I was rich, I would surely change them to hundreds. More impressive!