(Close Window)
Topic: ? to cane, what do you use?
I own a Fantasio appearing cane and I love performing it. I am looking for an alternative to using a silk all the time. I tried flash paper but that resulted in the cane catching fire and melting in my hand so I don't recommend you use that. What do you use?

Tom :firedevil: ouch that cane is hot
Rope
Balloon (260 uninflated)
Feather

To name just a few.
Get Fantasio's [i]My Cane & Candles[/i] book. It will add a new dimension to your cane routine.
I saw a torch for it once, if you want a fire effect. Don't recall the exact working, but it goes out the instant you appear the cane (metal one only - don't use a plastic one).
Yes Mike is right, there are torches that clip onto the release mechanism, and they [b]do[/b] go out when the cane opens.

They are very inexpensive as well, around $10-£25 depending on the maker.

KEEP IN MIND YOU NEED A METAL APPEARING CANE FOR THIS!

:angry:
Thanks guys, any other ideas from anyone will be greatly appreciated!
Tom :yippee:
I think Hocus Pocus has a new part to turn a fantasio cane into a dancing cane AND torch. Check it out probably under "fantasio".

Keith
The product you are referring to is 'The Ultimate Cane'.

You can view this item on this link:
http://www.masterofillusions.ca/ULT-CANE.htm
(it is Peter Loughran's site - the creator of Ultimate Cane)

As far as I am aware, this is a gimmick you attach to your regular Fantasio Cane (the routine is for a Vanishing Fantasio Cane but you can attach to an extended appearing cane to make it just a dancing fire cane [doesn't vanish at the end]). Peter Loughran is a member of the MagicCafé, and questions send him a PM.

Hope this helps,

-Kevin-
Hi Tom:

Here is idea that you might like:

1. Start with the cane separate from the silk. The cane is just hidden (palmed) in your hand. Show the silk, and then place over your hand (the hand holding the cane). Your hand is palm up, with the cane being vertical. The tip of the cane is against your palm, and your hand is sort of cupped. Release the cane, and it will shoot the silk up in the air, at the the same time as it appears. You're left holding the cane by its tip and you then catch the silk. I used to perform this years ago, and it always got lots of "ooohhs" and "aahhs".

Hope this helps you.

Ron Reid
Thanks very much Ron. I'll be performing that method this Fri/Sat/Sun at a show I'm in so thank you very much, it's greatly appreciated.

Tom :banana:
Here's a sequence by Jeff McBride. Walk on with a lit candle. The candle turns into a silk, and then the silk is stroked into a cane.
Jim
I use a 260 balloon. I tie the inflated balloon to the cane, and when the can opens, the balloon is popped, so it adds an element of sound to the routine.
[quote]
On 2003-05-10 21:54, zombieboy wrote:
I use a 260 balloon. I tie the inflated balloon to the cane, and when the can opens, the balloon is popped, so it adds an element of sound to the routine.
[/quote]

Nice idea Zombieboy.

I love the idea.

Symmatrix :firedevil:

For me I will put or try anything that is fit into the cane.

I had tried using feather, Fire Torch, silk and rope..

Experiment it out and you will find the one that suits your characther and the effect that you want.

Symmatrix :firedevil:
This is what I used to do at one point of my act.
I had two rings with tisue paper mounted in between. I showed both sides, threw the ring(rings) in to the air with one hand and I had my appering cane in the other. When the ring came down I pushed my hand through it and at the same time made the cane apper.
Vibono Magic
Sweden
Thanks guys.
Come on people we need your ideas to help the future generation of cane users!

Wwhat about a spring bouquet, only a 3-4 bloom one, of course.
Thoughts?
Tom :goof:
Why not? There is some great stuff with spring flowers and canes. The flower cane is a nice effect where the flower bouquet appers on the center of the cane. You must prepare your spring flowers but only one in the whole bunch ( I use about 25 in my ) by fixing a smal rod of metal to the flower and a metal ring that fits over the cane on the othe side of the rod. Have an elastic band around the left wrist end plase the flowers underneath with the ring sticking out of your sleve, like a sleve bouqet. After having produced the cane it is "just" a matter of putting the cane through the ring and with a brisk forward motion of the cane, produce the flowers.

Vibono Magic
Sweden
Nice flower effect Vibono! I posted this a while ago but I'll post it here now.
A party popper. Your cane appears through a loud bang and cloud of smoke and streamers :carrot:
How do you aply the party popper to the cane?
The string it attached to the bottom of the cane, exactly where you wold tie a silk to. The only thing about this is I am not sure where the popper goes, because the cane is too small for it to fit inside.
I got the string thing but still don't know were to putt the Party popper itself. But I will give you another way of using party poppers.
Carefully remove the paper plate that covers the bottom inside and you will find the paper streamers. Throw the streamers away and you will find yet another papper disc. Even more carefully than before remove this. Underneath you will find the small cracker making the whole thing bang. Now take a piece of flashpaper, crumble it up and put it in the party popper. You now have a small flash gun!

Please use caution when trying this. Party poppers are explosive, so don't rush into this and of course, with all fire effects, don't use it if you are under 18 years of age.
:firedevil:

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono Magic
Sweden
Why not use confetti and release it from your hands when you produce the cane? :magicrabbit:
Nice idea. A confetti bomb even? :cool:
I turn my cane into a balloon then I swallow the baloon and make the cane apear from my mouth.
Nice. Is this balloon an uninflated 260 by any chance? :confused:
Ok....now for the party pooper.

What is the logic in using a cane?

They are not, as they were, regular everyday items anymore. Canes are thought of as an aid to the partially crippled where they used to be an accoutrement to formal wear.

People don't put on the ritz like they used to.

Welcome to the 2000's.

Bryan
Well said Bryan... but if they are used in a traditional act - with tails or any other formal wear I'm not sure what you said applies. Gentlemen attending weddings often have canes, and they are even for hire in the wedding rental stores.

Used in the right act - I think they are good!

Kevin
Alice Cooper has a cane in his hand when he's in concert. I wouldn't call him or his act traditional.

Think outside the box.
Markis:

So well said. You really hit the nail on the head when you said "think outside the box".

Too many of us see magicians and decide to duplicate what we often see already being done. This serves no purpose and only makes you appear like another magician and not yourself.

Time must be spent to develop a proper style and character that is all your own. Allow your imagination to run wild and take inspiration from the world around you and not just your fellow magicians.

It always bothers me when I see or hear magicians not willing to put out the effort to be and think creatively.

It is just way too easy for people to mimic others. This does nothing for our art but to create bad clones.

The beauty of magic is that it can be performed numerous ways and in numerous storylines and themes.

One should really put out the effort and really study a prop like the dancing cane and throw away all other vesions of it or all other presentations.

Do not look at the cane as a cane and certainly do not think it just has to dance. Ask yourself questions like: what if it vanished in the act only to reappear later on? what is the purpose of the cane and what am I trying to convey to the audience?

All of this starts to make you think outside of the box and starts to open your mind to other possibilities that may not be the norm.
Well said my friend! :bg:
Tom:
Thanks you sir. I really appreciate the kind words. I just like to try and get people to think creatively in their own magic.
Does anyone know any more? ...guys? :shucks:
I would say think creative with it. Think outside the box and you may realize that things will come to you and can flow in nicely to a musical routine that could be used as a stand alone act or be a good intro to a bigger show. Ideas can come from any place. Keep your eyes open for them.
Another idea would be flash string.
Flash string works well with the appearing candle also, but you really go through the stuff quick and it's not that cheap.
Flash string is nice, but use it in moderation.
What about a small candle, I don't mean a fantasio one but a small skinny white real candle. that could work!

anything of a similar size would also do , thin candlestick? wand?
George Saterial does something along these lines. He has a cane and it vanishes so that he ends up with a lit candle in one hand and a silk in the other. It is really a beautiful sequence if you have ever seen it.
Hmmmmmmm sounds very nice, I'll experiment and see what I can come up with along those lines!
Are you trying to come up with ideas for a particular style act?
No kyle just ideas in general that I could apply to any sort of act I was choosing to do

Tom
Tom:

Oh ok. I understand you now. I think fantasio lecture at the magic castle versions 1 and 2 are a great source for some really great stage candle and cane work. you may want to check them out.