(Close Window)
Topic: Best Close Up Mat?
I am looking for a close up mat to replace my current empire brand one.

It is a very nice pad, but the foam part is pealing up from the rubber.

I saw one once that was made of a squishy kind of rubber with a thin layer of fabric on the top. It did not have that grooved pattern on the underside, but was smooth.

It was stretchy, too.

Any one here know where I can find this one or what it is called?

Thanks

-Matt
Matt, the one you described sounds like a large mouse pad found in the office supplies stores, I have one and the rubber is a little bit hard.
This one was really squishy compared to a mouse pad.

The person said it was made by a magician, but I do not remember who.
Sounds like this one - http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=10422

I just got it, and it is fantastic! Cheap too.
My buddy NoVaCain (cafe name) can make you a great pad (or table with the pad built in). The BEST quality out there. PM him for more info and tell him I sent yaz!
JOe Stevens at http://www.stevensmagic.com just got in a few nice ones that sound like your needs. Tell him the ones Pete Biro talked to him about.
Would the Trevor Duffy pad be what I am looking for?

It seems to have the same description as what I am looking for.
Might be a bit out of your price range, but the best pad I've seen hand's down, is by Dean Dill.
This sounds like the Trevor Duffy pad.

If you want a really nice pad for cheap, go to a good fabric shop and purchase a yard of automobile headliner material. It is about 1/4 inch thick, and has a fuzzy surface on one side. The other side is foam. When you fold it and unfold it, the wrinkles fall out of it after a few minutes. You can cut it to any shape you want.
I had read that the Duffy pad was no longer being made, but a few here or there can be found. Another interesting pad in different sizes is the Apollo pad.
Matthew,
I won’t say it is the best, but check out the close-up stage I made last weekend. It was pretty easy to make. I have also had good luck with big mouse pads from Office Max.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=278431&forum=26&5

Good luck,
Bruce
I got some large black closeup mats from a local dealer. These were quite inexpensive and looked exactly like the Duffy pads. The material is some kind of wetsuit material.
I bought a roll of neoprene / wetsuit material and had it cut down to fit over my entire table. It's really inexpensive to do this and you end up with a custom-sized mat (especially good for cups and balls, I find).

If you're looking for the "best close up mat", though, you may want to check out Dean Dill's mats. They're not cheap, but they're the best ones I've seen.

- Frank
Dean's workstation is the way to go should you decide to get into advanced card/coin work.
As explained elsewhere in the café, I used a soft mat where on the under part towards the audience I printed "vote for me I'm the best one of all" and on the inner part I had two small pockets hanging with magnet rubber in one of them. Before starting the close up act, the pockets are rolled up into the upper surface of the mat. Then when performing time comes (especially if it's not in a competition where I never go) I come in, let the mat unroll keeping the writing up in full view (allowing the pockets to hang behind the table's edge) as I mark a pause pretending, tongue in cheek, to check the lighting. People laugh, and I smile because I just misdirected them by secretly installing a servante right under their noses.
Each pocket is attached to the mat by two small brown cloth ribbons to be able to hang exactly at the right position.

Pretty nifty
That's brilliant Lawrence. Jamy Swiss has a similar gag after a very fast paced routine, he picks up his pad, (which has a firm backing) and reveals that on the bottom it says *** I'm good!
Trevor still lists his on his web site.
http://www.trevorduffy.co.za/prod_magicmat.shtml
I'll second the neoprene suggestion from Frank L. I've cut up up old wetsuits and glued that "grippy" webbing on the back. I lost so many closeup mats, I thought I'd give the neoprene a try. Since then.. strangely.. I've never lost a mat.

Was reading about using velcro as a working surface. Yes, strange, I know, but it came from a good source - I think - "The Expert at the Pitch Table", Michael Schwartz and S.David Walker. It talks about using the "loop" side of a sheet of velcro. Apparently, it cleans up well, and works great.
Anyone ever tried that? I've no idea where you can buy velcro in large sheets... but I'd like to give it a try,as I'm putting together a pitching booth shortly.

Regards,

DCB
I had never heard of Velcro® sheet; however, it not only exists, it is probably already set for what a magician would use it for.

A google search revealed this:

http://www.textol.com/t_veltex.asp

It's called Veltex®

One problem -- you need to order a full roll of it at $140.00

Here's a place that has it at $12.50 per yard with a three yard minimum.
http://www.tylersdisplay.net/Veltex-s/23.htm
If my late night math is ok that works out to around .50 per foot and with a decent CU pad running 10-20 bucks, it seems like a hellava deal and you'd NEVER run out!
The rolls are 60 inches (5 feet) wide. The price on the second site is $12.50 a yard as opposed to $14.00 a yard at the first site.

So, you get 15 square feet for $12.50. If your pad is 12 inches by 18 inches, which is a fairly normal size, then that boils down to 1.5 feet per mat. You could get 10 mats from a yard of this fabric. So each mat would cost you $1.25.

That's not a bad deal. However, there is a small caveat. The best way to cut this stuff is with a rotary cutter. So you would need a rotary cutter, a long metal straightedge and a cutting surface. The initial investment would be about $75.00 plus the cost of the fabric. However, you only need to purchase the straightedge and the rotary cutter one time. Same is true for the cutting surface.
Dean Dill also provide very nice mat and large as well

Cheers
Andre
My always incontrolable imagination got spinning with this Velcro mat concept.
What can we use it for in terms of effects:
Comical: the balls in the C&Bs must be torn off from the mat with a tearing off noise (a good potential misdirection)
Magical: an accessory could be temporarily added to the mat: a wandering hole for the coins through the table?...
What about using Velcro for the underside of the mat and use it to attach things with velcro strips in the line of the mat I described in another post in this thread...
Any silly ideas about it on this thread?...

Could we brainstorm a bit bout the possibilities offered.
Matt Schulien?
The best mat in my opinion is one by a gentleman named Pattrick Przysiecki. He made me my custom mat. Those of you who have seen some of my videos in the past years might recognize it. It is the large green mat that I used in almost all my vids. I have used a great variety of mats for many years....Patrick's mats was the one that stayed in shape the longest. I got an email from him recently. He will make those excellent mats again soon.

Rannie
[quote]
On 2008-11-01 07:46, Lawrence O wrote:
My always incontrolable imagination got spinning with this Velcro mat concept.
What can we use it for in terms of effects:
Comical: the balls in the C&Bs must be torn off from the mat with a tearing off noise (a good potential misdirection)
Magical: an accessory could be temporarily added to the mat: a wandering hole for the coins through the table?...
What about using Velcro for the underside of the mat and use it to attach things with velcro strips in the line of the mat I described in another post in this thread...
Any silly ideas about it on this thread?...

Could we brainstorm a bit bout the possibilities offered.
[/quote]

I'll have to see if a tennis ball will adhere to hook velcro.
As I read the site you came up with , Bill, the Veltex is the "cloth" side that is meant to adhere to the hook velcro. That would mean that your props have to be set up with hook velcro on them. That seems doable for some effects, but not realistic for, for example, Lawrence's cups and balls idea.

I'm just posting this because from your initial post, people could get the impression that they are buying a sheet of the hook velcro side, and fuzzy things would stick to it just because they are fuzzy.

Bill
I realize this. Laurence's idea would be done with hook velcro. I don't want to go into more detail than this, because it would be too educational for the gadje.
Bil,

What exactly is a "Rotary Cutter"? Sometimes - just sometimes, you Johnny foreigners :) have different names for things than we have in Europe.. And I'm not that tool savvy (Hey! where did THAT word come from?) anyway..

:)

Regards,

DCB
[quote]
On 2008-11-01 19:51, deadcatbounce wrote:

What exactly is a "Rotary Cutter"?

A rotary cutter looks a lot like a pizza cutter but is very sharp and cuts through thicker fabrics and leather with ease.

Hope this helps,

dc
[quote]
On 2008-11-01 19:51, deadcatbounce wrote:
Bil,

What exactly is a "Rotary Cutter"? Sometimes - just sometimes, you Johnny foreigners :) have different names for things than we have in Europe.. And I'm not that tool savvy (Hey! where did THAT word come from?) anyway..

:)

Regards,

DCB
[/quote]

Do a search on Google. I checked on google.co.uk, and it comes up just fine with photos and everything. The tool has the same name in the UK as in the US. Don't blame foreigners for using words that are the same in your version of the language. ;)

It is very much like a pizza cutter. You place your straightedge on the fabric you are cutting and drag the cutter along it. It makes a very clean cut -- much better and safer than a utility knife.
Bill,

My apologies. I'd looked in one of our biggest mail order catalogues, in the tool section, and couldn't find "rotary cutter", as I assumed it was a "mans' tool". Now, of course, I understand. We do, in fact, have one in the house - for fabric cutting.
I'd be interested in trying some of this stuff out, but unfortunately, shipping to the UK or Ireland could be tricky.
I'll call them tomorrow and ask if they have a ditributor in Europe.

Tks

DCB