(Close Window)
Topic: Your Worst Fear
Message: Posted by: McAllisterMagic (Oct 12, 2008 02:40AM)
What's your worst fear?

this may sound cliche but being buried alive is mine.
Message: Posted by: Doug Higley (Oct 12, 2008 06:36AM)
Being claustrophobic I'd say that was right up there!..though anything restricting my movement and preventing the FLEE response gets a vote. Also the panic moments of not getting enough air.
Message: Posted by: Dr. Delusion (Oct 12, 2008 07:06AM)
Mine would have to be trapped in something on fire. A car, house, anything.
Bob.
Message: Posted by: Marvello (Oct 12, 2008 07:28AM)
Awhile ago I was casually chatting with a woman I know online and just to make small talk I asked her this question and she asked me "why do you want to know? are you trying to kill me?" hahaha She said it creeped her out because she had just seen the movie Saw
Message: Posted by: Al Angello (Oct 12, 2008 09:28AM)
Often times when I sleep I dream that I'm still married to my X, and we are always arguing, when I wake up I always hug my honey.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Oct 12, 2008 11:26AM)
Harm to my children.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Oct 12, 2008 01:12PM)
Bees. I ran into a hive when I was young and while I'm better about it now, bees still creep me out. I was interested in the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" until I saw a review which ran part of the sequence where the girl goes up to the hive and gets honey while the bees are crawling all over her!

Ugh!
Message: Posted by: Justin Style (Oct 12, 2008 01:29PM)
I have NO fear.

Sorry if you don't want to hear that. But as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall have no fear because I'm the Baddest Mother 888888 there!
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Oct 12, 2008 01:32PM)
Living to a ripe old age.
Message: Posted by: evolve629 (Oct 12, 2008 01:39PM)
Having to jump off a high place or a plane!
Message: Posted by: hoodrat (Oct 12, 2008 11:13PM)
Choking to death on a piece of food or on a medicine capsule.
Message: Posted by: kcg5 (Oct 13, 2008 12:06AM)
Spiders. and bill oriely
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Oct 13, 2008 12:22AM)
Being buried alive here too!
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Oct 13, 2008 02:51AM)
For me fear is very situational. No "big fears" per se, but we all have fears.

If I had to narrow it down, I'd say seeing a 1984ish/Nazi/fascist system coming to pass in America. That would be one of my worst fears.
Message: Posted by: Marvello (Oct 13, 2008 05:13AM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-13 03:51, gaddy wrote:
I'd say seeing a 1984ish/Nazi/fascist system coming to pass in America. That would be one of my worst fears.
[/quote]
You must be terrified then
Message: Posted by: Steve_Mollett (Oct 13, 2008 07:25AM)
Ecclesiocracy and military faschism.
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Oct 13, 2008 10:41AM)
A little edgy right now, that's all...
But yeah....


[quote]
On 2008-10-13 06:13, Marvello wrote:
You must be terrified then
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Oct 13, 2008 10:40PM)
Josh Riel in a thong.
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Oct 13, 2008 11:01PM)
I'll agree with that. I fear Josh Riel in a thong.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Oct 17, 2008 10:08AM)
In the words of Peter Venkman; "Who wouldn't?"
Message: Posted by: Rotten (Oct 17, 2008 11:28AM)
I don't like wasps or donkeys. Have been injured by both but I can't say I fear them. My nightmares include the previously mentioned ex wife, airplane crashes (considering I fly 4-5 flights a week that's understandable) and, losing my son. But I don't have any fears that control what I do or don't do.
Message: Posted by: Al Angello (Oct 17, 2008 03:00PM)
Rotten
Some people fear public speaking more than they fear death, while I feel the larger the crowd the more I want to tell a really really bad joke, but the absolute worst time of my life was the time that I waisted with my X wife, and she will always give me nightmares.
Message: Posted by: ricker (Oct 18, 2008 10:04AM)
For me, it's shadow people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people
Message: Posted by: MagicMichealMan (Oct 27, 2008 05:11PM)
My Fear is Hights...I am currently trying too learn and perfect a new sub trunk routine...But even that's high enough to make me nervous...I guess I shouldn't try flying...

magic mike
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Oct 27, 2008 05:18PM)
Being banned from the Café from defending others of being attacked.
Message: Posted by: Matthew W (Oct 27, 2008 06:27PM)
Having to explain my worst fear.

Aaaggghh! Make it stop!

just kidding.

-Matt
Message: Posted by: Matt Watts (Oct 27, 2008 07:17PM)
Being a man who spends his whole life talking to other magicians on the Magic Café.


no seriously,Heights.I still cant go in my attic.
Message: Posted by: Tom Bartlett (Oct 27, 2008 07:29PM)
I too am claustrophobic and have worked hard to overcome it. It was one of the most motivating reasons I quite smoking, I watched some one that was claustrophobic suffer through emphysema. I think the anxiety and panic was worse than the emphysema.
Message: Posted by: MAKMagic (Oct 27, 2008 07:32PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-12 14:29, Justin Style wrote:
I have NO fear.

Sorry if you don't want to hear that. But as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall have no fear because I'm the Baddest Mother 888888 there!
[/quote]

LOLOLOL
Message: Posted by: Nerdini (Oct 28, 2008 10:00PM)
I fear that robots are stealing my luggage!
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Oct 28, 2008 10:10PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-27 18:18, Dynamike wrote:
Being banned from the Café from defending others of being attacked.
[/quote]

Accidentally reading posts like these^
Message: Posted by: Carrie Sue (Oct 28, 2008 10:26PM)
My worst fear, today?

"President Obama."

Carrie
Message: Posted by: davidpaul$ (Oct 28, 2008 10:48PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 23:26, Carrie Sue wrote:
My worst fear, today?

"President Obama."

Carrie
[/quote]

Obama, Biden, Reid, and Pelosi in charge. Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh.

The other fear is being inside a MRI. (panic city)
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Oct 28, 2008 10:58PM)
Let me amend my earlier fear. It would more accurately be the fear that I might accidentally read the stunning cataclysmic avalanche of ridiculous tripe as seen in the two posts above me as well as the other mentioned.

I fear that one day I will not learn to look at the name and just skip the plant food.

My fear has become reality.
Message: Posted by: Scott Cram (Oct 28, 2008 11:29PM)
I worry that everything in my house will be stolen, and replaced with an exact duplicate.
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Oct 29, 2008 01:05PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 23:58, Josh Riel wrote:
Let me amend my earlier fear. It would more accurately be the fear that I might accidentally read the stunning cataclysmic avalanche of ridiculous tripe as seen in the two posts above me as well as the other mentioned.

I fear that one day I will not learn to look at the name and just skip the plant food.

My fear has become reality.
[/quote]

I used to fear that same thing, Josh... But then I did something about it. And life's just been a rock-star coke party ever since!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Oct 29, 2008 09:56PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 00:29, Scott Cram wrote:
I worry that everything in my house will be stolen, and replaced with an exact duplicate.
[/quote]

Sorry Scott. I get the hint. I'll bring back your original things next time you're out.
Message: Posted by: Scott Cram (Oct 29, 2008 09:58PM)
Aha! I knew it was Josh!


Here's a couple of interesting [url=http://www.unusualphobias.com/dogandspider.html]fears I found on the internet[/url]:

I have very strange phobias. so please don't laugh.

One of my fears is the fear of being thrown out of my window while I'm sleeping by my dog. I cant sleep with a dog near me, and I lock my bedroom door, and even seal it shut with duct tape before I go to bed. If I hear my dog outside my door, I shrivel up in a ball and try not to make a noise.

Another fear of a spider shooting me in the middle of the night. I think this fear came about when I woke up one night to get some water, and I stepped on a spider, which was about 2 feet from my dads guncase. I freaked out, (being only 5) thinking the spider was about the get his .22 and shoot me as I walked down the stairs.
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Oct 29, 2008 10:06PM)
Dude... You're messed up.

Now I have to go drink from the honeybucket down the street in the construction site.
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Oct 30, 2008 12:01AM)
I've heard of men being afraid to close windows for fear of getting their willy whacked. That seems pretty irrational...
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Oct 30, 2008 12:13AM)
I'm not that tall, or that well equipped, if I were so I would be too.
Message: Posted by: stoneunhinged (Oct 30, 2008 03:18AM)
Scott, that phobias link has made this entire thread worthwhile.

Check this one out:

"Hi there, Ever since I was a kid growing up in NYC I've had a terrible gripping fear of going in natural bodies of water because there might be shopping carts down there. Now that I live in the country - people think I'm insane!"
Message: Posted by: Lawrence O (Oct 30, 2008 08:07AM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-12 12:26, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Harm to my children.
[/quote]

Definitely the same (harm or other) and I have six of them to worry about. This fear conversely makes me to enjoy them to the same extent that I fear for them.
Message: Posted by: Payne (Nov 5, 2008 12:30AM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 23:26, Carrie Sue wrote:
My worst fear, today?

"President Obama."

Carrie
[/quote]

So how fearful are you going to be for the next four (and hopefully eight years)?

The rest of us are at last rejoicing for we no longer must endure the darkness for the long reign of error is just about over.
Message: Posted by: Big Jeff (Nov 5, 2008 12:35AM)
You can't blame me for anything that goes wrong for 4 years after Jan 22.
Message: Posted by: Destiny (Nov 5, 2008 12:39AM)
[quote]My worst fear, today?

"President Obama."

Carrie[/quote]

:)
Message: Posted by: dpe666 (Nov 5, 2008 12:59AM)
Heights, spiders, and President Pelosi. :devilish:
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Nov 5, 2008 11:07PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 23:26, Carrie Sue wrote:
My worst fear, today?

"President Obama."

Carrie
[/quote]

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneoneoneone!!!!!
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Nov 5, 2008 11:08PM)
HAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH



QQ MOAR!!!!
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Nov 5, 2008 11:35PM)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Message: Posted by: Destiny (Nov 5, 2008 11:40PM)
Stop it Josh.

I am full of admiration that Carrie Sue has so quickly overcome her very worst fear to come out
Message: Posted by: Destiny (Nov 5, 2008 11:41PM)
Sorry I got cut off.

To come out batting for her favourite cause.

Destiny
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 6, 2008 01:03PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-13 06:13, Marvello wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-10-13 03:51, gaddy wrote:
I'd say seeing a 1984ish/Nazi/fascist system coming to pass in America. That would be one of my worst fears.
[/quote]
You must be terrified then
[/quote]

I'd love to see someone (preferably Michael Moore, but anyone would do, really) suggest to a concentration camp survivor that early 21st century America bears (bore) as much as a moderate resemblance to Nazi Germany. Bring a first aid kit, if you do.
Message: Posted by: stoneunhinged (Nov 6, 2008 01:19PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 00:08, Josh Riel wrote:
HAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHQAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH



QQ MOAR!!!!
[/quote]

QQ MOAR!!!! ?

Have you been reading the urban dictionary again?
Message: Posted by: kcg5 (Nov 6, 2008 02:22PM)
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 23:26, Carrie Sue wrote:
My worst fear, today?

"President Obama."

Carrie
[/quote]

My fear is being surrounded by people with this mind set.. But I guess I'm not... (can you say popular vote, and 339 electoral votes)
Message: Posted by: Payne (Nov 6, 2008 03:26PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-05 01:35, Big Jeff wrote:
You can't blame me for anything that goes wrong for 4 years after Jan 22.
[/quote]

Does that mean we can blame you for all the disasters of the last eight years then?
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 6, 2008 03:44PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 15:22, kcg5 wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-10-28 23:26, Carrie Sue wrote:
My worst fear, today?

"President Obama."

Carrie
[/quote]

My fear is being surrounded by people with this mind set.. But I guess I'm not... (can you say popular vote, and 339 electoral votes)
[/quote]


Yup, you're not! But don't kid yourself that it's the other way around, either. Of every 25 voters, 13 of them picked Obama. But that's more than picked McCain, which is the important threshold.
Message: Posted by: Carrie Sue (Nov 6, 2008 04:21PM)
The Gloat Factor rears its ugly head once again.

It appears that more people (especially black people) chose their President based on the color of a man's skin and not the content of his character. He's the Affirmative Action President. Don't worry whether he's qualified for the job. He's black, so we want him.

And before anyone calls me a racist, I would just like to add that I voted for Alan Keyes twice in Presidential primaries. I would love to see a black President, but one who shares my values and upholds the Constitution.

I don't have either for the next four years.

Just remember when Obama's socialist policies begin to be enacted, putting more shackles of government on the necks of the people ...

... you voted for it!

Carrie
Message: Posted by: kcg5 (Nov 6, 2008 08:18PM)
And I am *** proud of it.

What does it say about our country when a mans election causes dancing in the streets? ( by all races)
something must be working. We should all be happy, it is truly wonderful to be rid of you-know -who, and a great time to be alive.


I wasnt really gloating. He kicked but, nothing like those very close elections we have had recently.


kevin
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 6, 2008 08:40PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 21:18, kcg5 wrote:
And I am *** proud of it.

What does it say about our country when a mans election causes dancing in the streets? ( by all races)


kevin
[/quote]

Let's see...of every 200 eligible voters, about 75 stayed home, 65 voted for Obama, 58 voted for McCain, and 2 voted for someone else. Yup, it's a mandate!
Message: Posted by: Jimeh (Nov 6, 2008 08:55PM)
My worst fear is anything that smacks of the 'Anyone see the movie "Religulous"?' thread...
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Nov 6, 2008 09:54PM)
So.... Did you see the movie Religulous?
Message: Posted by: Jimeh (Nov 6, 2008 10:14PM)
Don't start..... ;)
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Nov 6, 2008 10:37PM)
When the movie just came out I posted about it, but then within 10 minutes or so I remembered just who would jump into such a conversation and suggest that the Mods remove the thread, which they did rather quickly! (almost too quickly? Hmmm....)

Looks like my fears were justified in that particular instance...
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Nov 6, 2008 10:54PM)
You won't feel that way when Carrie Sue and Payne announce their engagement.
Message: Posted by: Kevvy (Nov 6, 2008 10:58PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 17:21, Carrie Sue wrote:

It appears that more people (especially black people) chose their President based on the color of a man's skin and not the content of his character. He's the Affirmative Action President. Don't worry whether he's qualified for the job. He's black, so we want him.
[/quote]

If that were true, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton would have been more successful in their presidential bids. Most black people did not vote for either of them and their campaigns went nowhere fast.
Most black people vote democratic. So if Hillary Clinton had been the democratic nominee, she would have received the majority of the black vote. I think more black people would have voted for her even if her opponent was a black republican like Alan Keyes or someone like Clarence Thomas.

Affirmative Action President??

Please.

If there was ever a classic recipient of affirmative action, it was Sarah Palin. She definitely wasn't qualified to be VP. At first, it appeared she would tip the balance in McCain's favor. But in less than one month, she clearly demonstrated that she was completely out of her league. Mitt Romney or Condolezza Rice would have proven to be qualified and competent running mates.

One fear that a lot of people had was the possibility of Sarah Palin becoming president if something were to happen to McCain.
BTW, gender is irrelevant. I'm sure Hillary Clinton or Condolezza Rice could handle the task of being president.

The presidency wasn't given to Obama. That is not how Presidents are elected.

People of various races voted for him - In the primaries as well as the general election...And yes, that includes a LOT of white people. In fact, the black vote alone would not have been enough.

[quote]
And before anyone calls me a racist, I would just like to add that I voted for Alan Keyes twice in Presidential primaries.
[/quote]

Obama trounced Keyes in the 2004 Illinois Senate race.

Had Keyes been the republican candidate president, Obama would likely have beat him again.
Message: Posted by: Tom Bartlett (Nov 6, 2008 11:06PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 23:58, Kevvy wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 17:21, Carrie Sue wrote:

It appears that more people (especially black people) chose their President based on the color of a man's skin and not the content of his character. He's the Affirmative Action President. Don't worry whether he's qualified for the job. He's black, so we want him.
[/quote]

If that were true, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton would have been more successful in their presidential bids. Most black people did not vote for either of them and their campaigns went nowhere fast.
Most black people vote democratic. So if Hillary Clinton had been the democratic nominee, she would have received the majority of the black vote. I think more black people would have voted for her even if her opponent was a black republican like Alan Keyes or someone like Clarence Thomas.

Affirmative Action President??

Please.

If there was ever a classic recipient of affirmative action, it was Sarah Palin. She definitely wasn't qualified to be VP. At first, it appeared she would tip the balance in McCain's favor. But in less than one month, she clearly demonstrated that she was completely out of her league. Mitt Romney or Condolezza Rice would have proven to be qualified and competent running mates.

One fear that a lot of people had was the possibility of Sarah Palin becoming president if something were to happen to McCain.
BTW, gender is irrelevant. I'm sure Hillary Clinton or Condolezza Rice could handle the task of being president.

The presidency wasn't given to Obama. That is not how Presidents are elected.

People of various races voted for him - In the primaries as well as the general election...And yes, that includes a LOT of white people. In fact, the black vote alone would not have been enough.

[quote]
And before anyone calls me a racist, I would just like to add that I voted for Alan Keyes twice in Presidential primaries.
[/quote]

Obama trounced Keyes in the 2004 Illinois Senate race.

Had Keyes been the republican candidate president, Obama would likely have beat him again.
[/quote]

Great post the only thing I disagree on is Sarah Palin I think she was the only reason McCain did as well as he did.
Message: Posted by: EsnRedshirt (Nov 6, 2008 11:12PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 21:40, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 21:18, kcg5 wrote:
And I am *** proud of it.

What does it say about our country when a mans election causes dancing in the streets? ( by all races)


kevin
[/quote]

Let's see...of every 200 eligible voters, about 75 stayed home, 65 voted for Obama, 58 voted for McCain, and 2 voted for someone else. Yup, it's a mandate!
[/quote]
LobowolfXXX- if you don't bother to vote, you don't count.
That's exactly how it works.

Carrie Sue- Black voter turnout made up 13% of the voters, compared to 11% in 2004. That's a scant 2% increase (in a population that is already very politically active.) Obama won by 6 points- the victory cannot be attributed to black voters alone. Take a look at the exit polls sometime, you may find them interesting. Obama won the majority of votes from every demographic except for white males.

I'm an optimist- I'd like to think that skin color was not at all a factor in this election. However, at least one poll has stated that for at least 20% of the population, it was, in fact, an issue. (But regardless, of those 20% who said it was an issue, at least 60% still voted for Obama.) The fact of the matter is that we elected Obama in spite of his skin color, not because of it.

-Erik
Message: Posted by: Payne (Nov 6, 2008 11:43PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 17:21, Carrie Sue wrote:
The Gloat Factor rears its ugly head once again.

It appears that more people (especially black people) chose their President based on the color of a man's skin and not the content of his character. He's the Affirmative Action President. Don't worry whether he's qualified for the job. He's black, so we want him.

And before anyone calls me a racist, I would just like to add that I voted for Alan Keyes twice in Presidential primaries. I would love to see a black President, but one who shares my values and upholds the Constitution.

I don't have either for the next four years.

Just remember when Obama's socialist policies begin to be enacted, putting more shackles of government on the necks of the people ...

... you voted for it!

Carrie
[/quote]

Carrie Sue should become a Mentalist because she always seems to know what other people are thinking.

Uncanny
Message: Posted by: Josh Riel (Nov 7, 2008 12:02AM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 17:21, Carrie Sue wrote:
It appears that more people (especially black people) chose their President based on the color of a man's skin and not the content of his character.
[/quote]

That gets my vote for the stupidest thing I have read recently (And I read Josh #2's stuff)

All you silly white republicans chose your candidate based on crazy. But don't worry, I have republican friends so I can say whatever I want.
Message: Posted by: Kevvy (Nov 7, 2008 02:08AM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 00:06, Tom Bartlett wrote:

Great post the only thing I disagree on is Sarah Palin I think she was the only reason McCain did as well as he did.
[/quote]

I agree that she helped him by energizing his base. I also think she could have posed a real threat to the Obama campaign if she were more qualified.

Her interviews with Katie Couric & Charles Gibson didn't help.
Message: Posted by: kcg5 (Nov 7, 2008 02:11AM)
That last sentence was really good josh, I mean really good.

I didn't even want to approach what Carrie said.....
Message: Posted by: Tom Bartlett (Nov 7, 2008 02:39AM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 03:08, Kevvy wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 00:06, Tom Bartlett wrote:

Great post the only thing I disagree on is Sarah Palin I think she was the only reason McCain did as well as he did.
[/quote]

I agree that she helped him by energizing his base. I also think she could have posed a real threat to the Obama campaign if she were more qualified.

Her interviews with Katie Couric & Charles Gibson didn't help.
[/quote]

Do you feel Obama was more qualified than Palin, if so why?
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Nov 7, 2008 04:05AM)
He's intelligent, that's why.

Palin is not. Not yet at least.
Message: Posted by: Kevvy (Nov 7, 2008 10:08AM)
I agree with Pakar. Experience AND intelligence are important.

Obama spent eight years in the Illinois senate before his two years of service in the U.S. Senate. He also taught constitutional law for 10 years and was a civil rights attorney.

I think people looked beyond Palin's executive experience and realized she was in over her head. Her folksy "Hockey mom" schtick may or may not have been a bonus, but McCain needed more than that.

Look at what Bush has done with his years of experience. As the last eight years of failed Bush policies have proven, it takes a lot more than just experience to be a good president.

Dan Quayle mentioned in the '88 VP debate that he had more experience than Jack Kennedy did when he (Kennedy) sought office. And that was true, he actually did have more experience.

...But Quayle's performance as VP indicated he was no Jack Kennedy.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 7, 2008 10:36AM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 00:12, EsnRedshirt wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 21:40, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 21:18, kcg5 wrote:
And I am *** proud of it.

What does it say about our country when a mans election causes dancing in the streets? ( by all races)


kevin
[/quote]

Let's see...of every 200 eligible voters, about 75 stayed home, 65 voted for Obama, 58 voted for McCain, and 2 voted for someone else. Yup, it's a mandate!
[/quote]
LobowolfXXX- if you don't bother to vote, you don't count.
That's exactly how it works.

Carrie Sue- Black voter turnout made up 13% of the voters, compared to 11% in 2004. That's a scant 2% increase (in a population that is already very politically active.) Obama won by 6 points- the victory cannot be attributed to black voters alone. Take a look at the exit polls sometime, you may find them interesting. Obama won the majority of votes from every demographic except for white males.

I'm an optimist- I'd like to think that skin color was not at all a factor in this election. However, at least one poll has stated that for at least 20% of the population, it was, in fact, an issue. (But regardless, of those 20% who said it was an issue, at least 60% still voted for Obama.) The fact of the matter is that we elected Obama in spite of his skin color, not because of it.

-Erik
[/quote]




Ummm thanks for pointing out that bit about not counting if you don't vote; I was puzzled by that. At the risk of being understood, I'll rephrase: In response to a post that suggested that most of the whole country is overjoyed that Obama won, I broke down the numbers a tad to point out that the fact is that less than 1/3 of registered voters bothered to vote for him, and just barely over half of the people who DID vote voted for him. If you glanced at a crowd of 50 voters and did a show of hands, you wouldn't be able to tell at a glance that more of them voted for him (26) than didn't (24).

Having said that, it was certainly still a decisive victory by presidential election standards, but it's not like in a country of 300 million, 200 million are rejoicing at the election results.



With respect to your math directed at Carrie's post, the fact that Obama had a 6% edge in the popular vote doesn't mean that a 2% increase in black voter turnout couldn't swing the election, as the election is decided by the electoral vote. Compare a hypothetical Obama-McCain election with Bush - Gore: Let's say everything else is the same, but Obama increased his edge by 6% in California among white voters. This would have had no effect on the election: the Democrats won all the electoral votes there anyway. Let's further say that a few thousand African American voters (FAR less than 2%) in Florida voted for him only because he was black. BAM - Obama wins the election because he's black.

I'm not saying that's what happened; I'm saying it's flawed to suggest that the 2% vs. 6% comparison proves that it didn't happen.

The increase among black voters from 11% to 13%, btw, is an 18% increase FWIW.

If at least 60% of those who said skin color was a factor favored Obama, then he didn't win "in spite of" it; it helped him. Whether it helped him enough to swing the election is another matter.

Like you, I'd like to think that it didn't (and in fact, I do think that it didn't. I think and hope that votes based on skin color largely cancelled each other out, as I'm sure they happened on both sides, and I'm sure that it wasn't a major factor for an overwhelming majority of voters).
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 7, 2008 10:41AM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 11:08, Kevvy wrote:


...But Quayle's performance as VP indicated he was no Jack Kennedy.
[/quote]

What did Quayle do as Vice President that you found problematic?
Message: Posted by: kcg5 (Nov 7, 2008 01:49PM)
Used an "e" to many times
Message: Posted by: Kevvy (Nov 7, 2008 02:02PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 11:41, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 11:08, Kevvy wrote:


...But Quayle's performance as VP indicated he was no Jack Kennedy.
[/quote]

What did Quayle do as Vice President that you found problematic?
[/quote]

Although Vice Presidents are limited in their formal responsibilities, (Dick Cheney may be the exception) Quayle was widely ridiculed in both the USA and overseas as incompetent.

Like Bush & Palin, (I've heard Palin referred to as "Quaylin") Quayle had a tendency to make public statements which were either self-contradictory, logically redundant, or painfully confused and inappropriate.

The general perception of Quayle as a joke was somewhat problematic for Bush Sr.

When Bush ran for reelection in 1992, some republicans urged the president to dump Quayle from the ticket. Public opinion polls showed him to be the least popular vice president in forty years, scoring even lower than Spiro Agnew. However, Bush and his staff concluded that changing running mates would be a sign of panic and would serve as an admission that his original choice had been a mistake.
Message: Posted by: gsidhe (Nov 7, 2008 02:28PM)
My biggest fear...President Carrie.
If I need to clarify why...
Gwyd
Message: Posted by: EsnRedshirt (Nov 7, 2008 02:55PM)
Quayle was the best life insurance policy that Bush Sr. had; much like the words "President Cheney" strike fear into the hearts of everyone. I'd say that Palin was nominated for a similiar reason, but it doesn't work when voters are looking at electing someone who would have been the oldest POTUS nominated to the position.

-Erik
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 7, 2008 03:09PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 15:02, Kevvy wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 11:41, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 11:08, Kevvy wrote:


...But Quayle's performance as VP indicated he was no Jack Kennedy.
[/quote]

What did Quayle do as Vice President that you found problematic?
[/quote]

Although Vice Presidents are limited in their formal responsibilities, (Dick Cheney may be the exception) Quayle was widely ridiculed in both the USA and overseas as incompetent.

Like Bush & Palin, (I've heard Palin referred to as "Quaylin") Quayle had a tendency to make public statements which were either self-contradictory, logically redundant, or painfully confused and inappropriate.

The general perception of Quayle as a joke was somewhat problematic for Bush Sr.

When Bush ran for reelection in 1992, some republicans urged the president to dump Quayle from the ticket. Public opinion polls showed him to be the least popular vice president in forty years, scoring even lower than Spiro Agnew. However, Bush and his staff concluded that changing running mates would be a sign of panic and would serve as an admission that his original choice had been a mistake.
[/quote]


Oh, sorry...I misunderstood the line "Quayle's performance as VP" to mean something about his performance as VP.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 7, 2008 03:22PM)
Nobody could really be another Jack Kennedy, but I suppose if someone wanted to try, he'd have to dramatically cut tax rates for the rich, invade a small country that most people believe pose no threat to the United States, dramatically increase our military presence overseas...hey, wait a sec.
Message: Posted by: MickeyPainless (Nov 7, 2008 03:24PM)
LMAO, touche Counselor!
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 7, 2008 03:39PM)
MICK! How you been, man?
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Nov 7, 2008 03:57PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 16:22, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Nobody could really be another Jack Kennedy, but I suppose if someone wanted to try, he'd have to dramatically cut tax rates for the rich, invade a small country that most people believe pose no threat to the United States, dramatically increase our military presence overseas...hey, wait a sec.
[/quote]

Haha! I knew there was still an inkling of a reason that I hadn't killfiled you yet, Mr. LobowolfXXX.
Message: Posted by: Kevvy (Nov 7, 2008 04:05PM)
[quote]

Oh, sorry...I misunderstood the line "Quayle's performance as VP" to mean something about his performance as VP.
[/quote]

No, what you misunderstood was the fact that you asked "What did Quayle do as Vice President that you found problematic?"

And I answered your question. What Quayle did was serve as an embarrassment for Bush Sr. That is what I found problematic.

The Constitution assigns no executive powers to the vice president, in performing such duties he or she acts only as an agent of the president.

That includes speaking for this country, which IS a major part of his performance as VP. The way he spoke and the things he said when being grilled on policy was part of his performance. It was also a reflection of his intelligence.

The irregular heartbeat that President Bush experienced in 1991 literally meant that Quayle was a heartbeat way from the presidency. And people felt he was ill-equipped for the job.
Message: Posted by: Kevvy (Nov 7, 2008 04:10PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 16:57, gaddy wrote:

Haha! I knew there was still an inkling of a reason that I hadn't killfiled you yet, Mr. LobowolfXXX.
[/quote]

Actually, I usually agree with LobowolfXXX. LOL
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Nov 7, 2008 04:12PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 17:10, Kevvy wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 16:57, gaddy wrote:

Haha! I knew there was still an inkling of a reason that I hadn't killfiled you yet, Mr. LobowolfXXX.
[/quote]

Actually, I usually agree with LobowolfXXX. LOL
[/quote]

I'm sure you're not alone, Mr. Kevvy...
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 7, 2008 04:15PM)
While Quayle wasn't a brilliant orator, his propensity for misstatements was exaggerated (read: often fabricated). I still know people who claim to have heard firsthand the one about being sorry that he didn't speak Latin when in Latin America (which he didn't say). I don't think he came up with anything as juicy as "I am a jelly donut," however (though to be fair, Kennedy made that little slip while speaking a foreign language). I'm sure if it had been Quayle, though, it would have gone down as one of the stupidest things ever said, not one of the most brilliant.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/quayle.asp
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Nov 7, 2008 04:16PM)
Gaddy...it's the fact that you appreciate so few of my posts that makes those few so much sweeter!
Message: Posted by: Kevvy (Nov 8, 2008 12:54AM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-07 16:22, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Nobody could really be another Jack Kennedy, but I suppose if someone wanted to try, he'd have to dramatically cut tax rates for the rich, invade a small country that most people believe pose no threat to the United States, dramatically increase our military presence overseas...hey, wait a sec.
[/quote]

Given Kennedy's faults, there is no way Bush, Quayle or Palin are in the same class as him. If any of those three were at the helm during the Cuban Missle Crisis, we would have probably had WW3 on our hands. I don't agree with everything Kennedy, Reagan, or Clinton did. But they are much better than what we had the past eight years. Bush Sr. was a decent president. Unfortunately, the George W. Bush administration is one of the worst in American history.
Message: Posted by: Dan Paulus (Nov 11, 2008 01:09PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 23:54, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
You won't feel that way when Carrie Sue and Payne announce their engagement.
[/quote]
The offspring of such a union... now that's my biggest fear!
Message: Posted by: daffydoug (Nov 11, 2008 10:55PM)
Worst fear? Old age. Losing my, um, "powers."
Message: Posted by: Lawrence O (Nov 12, 2008 02:04PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 14:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-10-13 06:13, Marvello wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-10-13 03:51, gaddy wrote:
I'd say seeing a 1984ish/Nazi/fascist system coming to pass in America. That would be one of my worst fears.
[/quote]
You must be terrified then
[/quote]

I'd love to see someone (preferably Michael Moore, but anyone would do, really) suggest to a concentration camp survivor that early 21st century America bears (bore) as much as a moderate resemblance to Nazi Germany. Bring a first aid kit, if you do.
[/quote]

Whenever you wish to use the word nazi, could you please drop the capital "n". It has been ruled by an international court, lead by American judges that they had lost the right to any respect and are just a "criminal organization" and being a member is sufficient to make one a criminal (1949 ruling: proceedings reported in the "Green Books")... So please no capital "n". The ruling made it clear that there is no possible prescription to this condamnation.

Being the son of a survivor, I think that it's almost an insult to the former concentration camps inmates to use this hugly word for things that are not coming even far to (let alone close to) the horror level it attempts in good faith to reject.

Thanks
Message: Posted by: kcg5 (Nov 12, 2008 02:08PM)
Every post I have read from Lawrence I have ever read made me stop and think. Maybe its cause I am slow, or because he writes so well and composes his thoughts so completely with no wasted words.


Kevin
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Nov 12, 2008 02:45PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-12 15:04, Lawrence O wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 14:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-10-13 06:13, Marvello wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-10-13 03:51, gaddy wrote:
I'd say seeing a 1984ish/Nazi/fascist system coming to pass in America. That would be one of my worst fears.
[/quote]
You must be terrified then
[/quote]

I'd love to see someone (preferably Michael Moore, but anyone would do, really) suggest to a concentration camp survivor that early 21st century America bears (bore) as much as a moderate resemblance to Nazi Germany. Bring a first aid kit, if you do.
[/quote]

Whenever you wish to use the word nazi, could you please drop the capital "n". It has been ruled by an international court, lead by American judges that they had lost the right to any respect and are just a "criminal organization" and being a member is sufficient to make one a criminal (1949 ruling: proceedings reported in the "Green Books")... So please no capital "n". The ruling made it clear that there is no possible prescription to this condamnation.

Being the son of a survivor, I think that it's almost an insult to the former concentration camps inmates to use this hugly word for things that are not coming even far to (let alone close to) the horror level it attempts in good faith to reject.

Thanks
[/quote]

OK, no problem. No big "n". I can live with that. The idea still scares me though, because I see liberty disappearing at an alarming rate --with every single passing law it seems --in America today... Not a comparison, but merely an observation, and a reoccurring fear of mine.
Message: Posted by: daffydoug (Nov 12, 2008 02:59PM)
I suppose I could also say that my fear is that in four years I won't even recognize my beloved country, and not in a good way. I can't help but think "What will there be left for my grandchildren?"
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Nov 12, 2008 03:15PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-12 15:59, daffydoug wrote:
I suppose I could also say that my fear is that in four years I won't even recognize my beloved country, and not in a good way. I can't help but think "What will there be left for my grandchildren?"
[/quote]

well after EIGHT years I hardly recognize MY own country. So, at least I can understand how you feel...
Message: Posted by: Michael Peterson (Jan 7, 2009 04:35PM)
NINJAS!




Mike
Message: Posted by: Steve_Mollett (Jan 7, 2009 08:49PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-11 14:09, Dan Paulus wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 23:54, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
You won't feel that way when Carrie Sue and Payne announce their engagement.
[/quote]
The offspring of such a union... now that's my biggest fear!
[/quote]

What offspring? Like matter and anti-matter, the two genetic patterns would cancel each other out.