(Close Window)
Topic: Literally have nothing!
Message: Posted by: The Naked Magician (Oct 14, 2008 02:50PM)
Fellow magic people
whats the best thing to do, when your strolling down the road in your ideal world, the sun is scorching down, the breeze is cool and theres a beautiful girl on your side. and some idiot realises your a magician and asks you to do a trick. CAUGHT of guard. I'm not the kinda guy to say, errr no magic in me today! theres gotta be somthing you can do that's pretty impressive?
Thanks Guys and Gals
Use the coins in your pocket.
Always have something you can do...

Carry Extreme Burn in your wallet. that's a great on the fly effect.
Learn to do effects with things you carry and what other people commonly carry.

Visit my IMP (Impromptu Magic Pages) site link below.
If you can't perform then you have to say no. I always say no because I perform magic on my time and not theirs...makes them appreciate it more.

Or you can say "I'm a guy. I need to recharge...sorry."
[quote]
On 2008-10-14 16:37, mmreed wrote:
Always have something you can do...

Carry Extreme Burn in your wallet. that's a great on the fly effect.
[/quote]

I agree! A powerful effect that is always ready to go. I also make sure I have a silver dollar or half dollar in my pocket for a one coin routine. I also always have Shawn Farquar's torn 2 pieces in my wallet and a mini sharpie in my pocket. Great magic that takes less room than a deck of cards!
Ring flight.
Have a couple of rubber bands on your wrist for Crazy Man's Handcuffs or Pinnacle effects. Those are always nice to bust out spur of the moment
I just keep a deck of cards with me. I have a whole show in my pocket (please disregard and double-entendre)
Message: Posted by: The Naked Magician (Oct 15, 2008 10:23AM)
Ring flight is one I like to keep with me, then again, I just got a stealth assassin and its a wallet with 20 minutes in it. very pratical I must say!
Cards in a clip in your hip pocket. Keep 'em set up for a great self-worker and you're set to go, even if you're a bit distracted by the pretty girl at your side.
If I have literally nothing, I have at least five minutes of material with my hands and feet. Some 'do-as-I-do' stuff that gets progressively more complex and magical.

What do you ALWAYS have with you? Keys, wallet, cellphone...what can you add to these? How to modify them to insure you always have something?

Ring flight has been mentioned, lots of great wallets available that are fashionable and functional...

Your decision of whether or not to 'perform' in your offtime is a business decision. My haircut is really what you see in the avatar, so that provokes many questions, the answers to which invite even more questions. If I can deliver a powerful 30 second - 2 minute mini show with NOTHING, it's a great reason for me to pass on my business card (which I always have) and invite them to see my full show.

My wallet is not magical, but it is meaningful to me. But my keychain...may deserve an upgrade.

Best wishes,

Brian
I can usually do an equivoque effect, with borrowed objects. It really fries people! All I have to borrow is a pen or pencil, a piece of paper or card, and four small objects.

Often times, I'll do a ten count with a couple of coins.
How about a thumb tip....... it does not take a lot of space in your pocket and you can even go swimming with it and be able to do magic almost naked in the pool if you have too. My opinion is that the thumb tip is the best props. for on the fly, think you got me magic.

ViperX
Kent would be perfect. Especially coupled with the ideas given by Sean Waters in his e-book, Ponderings (his version is known as K?nt.) With Sean's variation you are able to name the value of a playing card that the spectator only thinks of. Good stuff.

Thanks,
Knibby
I would never carry around a deck of cards, rubberbands, or a 3 fly set (too..formal?). That is not impromptu at all and makes you look sad. (no offense)

Coins, keys, cell phones, wallet, paper money, chapstick, basically anything you can borrow (or conveniently but normally have on your person)

If you like mentalism you don't even need to borrow anything but their "thoughts".

There is a great book on impromptu stunts..Garder?
I allways have some coins in my pocket.Do some simple slight of hand with the coins or a ring. You can allways learn Sinful(coin in a coke can) very cool trick nothing special, you have to set up very impromptu. You can use some cash to do some tricks also.You can also use Visa,Debit,Bus.cards to do some simple(card tricks).
Body Tricks. There's a book and DVD featuring over 100 tricks using nothing but your body on eBay at the moment, and through my signature...

Steve
I talk about the sign of a vampire...and lenghthen then reduce the length of my ring finger. Recently I added tapping the middle finger to lengthen...then tap the ring finger to shrink it back.

Prior to that, I just used my other hand to make the magic happen.

Another is to pretend to put a rubber band around the spectators extended index fingers. They try to keep them a 1/4 inch apart, but the "band" makes them come back together.

Oh what fun it is to play...

Harris
[quote]
asks you to do a trick. CAUGHT of guard. [/quote]

A [i]REAL[/i] magician is [b]always[/b] ready and NEVER caught off guard.

Sounds like you still have a long way to go?

Good luck -
What is sad about having rubberbands? I always always have rubber bands on my wrist. They have gotten compliments because they are part of my style. Occationally when someone compliments them I say that they have magic properties and then I do my routine. Other times I just say "thanks"
You might be the kind of guy to say, "No magic in me today," but I am. :) One thing I have been playing around lately, just testing on and off on friends have been magic square variants. So if I were in a situation, where I had nothing on me to perform with, and I was not in a position to say no, I'd probably fashion out something with that.
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 15:46, scaevola wrote:
What is sad about having rubberbands? I always always have rubber bands on my wrist. They have gotten compliments because they are part of my style. Occationally when someone compliments them I say that they have magic properties and then I do my routine. Other times I just say "thanks"
[/quote]

It was just my opinion. If it works for you then great.
I always think ahead when I leave the house. If there's a chance I'll be challenged, I'll slip something in my pocket, say, elastic bands, Holy Moley, or the 3 card trick (they all fit into my "normal" wallet. Failing that, there's always the "finger trick" stuff.
The main thing about being an "impromptu" magician is - being prepared to be impromptu.

Good luck..

DCB
Josh,

Are you SERIOUS? Magic Square? They ask you for a quick trick, and you ask them to fill in numbers? Are you MAD? or - am I not getting this?

Hmm..

DCB
[quote]
On 2008-10-14 15:50, The Naked Magician wrote:
Fellow magic people
whats the best thing to do, when your strolling down the road in your ideal world, the sun is scorching down,
[/quote]

come on we all know that the sun never scorches down in the UK so you wont have this problem. But when this happens I normaly borrow some coins and do a coins across
I've done paying gigs with impromptu stuff....

Seriously.

Sometimes its more impressive to have nothing on you and perform with other people's stuff.

Almost like what "Real" Magic would be...

:online:
[quote]
On 2008-11-05 09:48, knibby wrote:
Kent would be perfect. Especially coupled with the ideas given by Sean Waters in his e-book, Ponderings (his version is known as K?nt.) With Sean's variation you are able to name the value of a playing card that the spectator only thinks of. Good stuff.

Thanks,
Knibby
[/quote]

Knibby,

Thanks so much for the mention. My routine does work as described, but requires a pre-requisite knowledge of the KENT routine. However, my "Red Handed" psychological (playing card) force works reliably and requires nothing but you and your participant's mind.

I also have an "impromptu" mind reading effect that uses just a dollar bill and your mind, called "Illuminati". It will be in my next ebook "Contemplations". There are no switches, secret reading or any other standard "ploy". It is purely mental, but you will always end with some powerful impromptu mind reading. It works by someone pulling out their own dollar bill and you just amaze them, you will honestly never touch it. All true! I have been using this for some time (I save it for special moments). This came about as I just wanted to create a pure mind effect with a bill, which met my desired goals. However, this is also a magician fooler (even though it wasn't intended to be). I actually created this prior to the dollar bill effect in Ponderings. I just didn't want to tip it yet. The truth is, it is hard for me to explain how it works, it just does. :)

All of these effects are real mind influence and mind reading. To find out more follow the link on my signature. Information on my site about "Contemplations" will be added within a month or so.

Regards,

Sean
[quote]
On 2008-11-08 19:07, deadcatbounce wrote:
Josh,

Are you SERIOUS? Magic Square? They ask you for a quick trick, and you ask them to fill in numbers? Are you MAD? or - am I not getting this?

Hmm..

DCB
[/quote]

You'll also notice that before I said that, I indicated that I more than likely would not end up doing anything at all whatsoever. I can hammer off a 3x3 square in less than 10 seconds and a 5x5 in about 15. Seems impromtpu and quick enough to me.

Then again, as I mentioned, I will more than likely not end up doing anything (besides 'absolutely nothing' does mean 'absolutely nothing')
[quote]
On 2008-10-15 21:03, ViperXMagic wrote:
How about a thumb tip....... it does not take a lot of space in your pocket and you can even go swimming with it and be able to do magic almost naked in the pool if you have too. My opinion is that the thumb tip is the best props. for on the fly, think you got me magic.

ViperX
[/quote]

Does someone make a good thumb tip that actually fits and doesn't look deceptive? All the ones I have tried stick out, well, like a soar thumb.
ViperXMagic said that with a TT in a Pool, almost naked, we can still do Magic...

That there is a trick I would like to see...

Especially if performed by Angela Funovits...

I believe it can be done, but that is just something I'd like to see...

Mmmm.... :)
If you must perform something, how about a 10 count with whatever is close by?

This has always proven effective for me. (Pebbles, acorns, balls formed from paper napkins, etc.) It usually leads into a 'Two in the Hand - One in the pocket' effect and ends with all vanishing. Very magical and done with whatever you have around you at the moment.

I did this at lunch the other day with balls made from a paper napkin for a couple of coworkers and they were absolutely stunned. One even commented that she always thought Magicians had to "have their stuff" in order to perform. (Apparently her brother is learning magic and always carries a pouch of small props.) She said she was going to tell him that she had met a 'real magician.'
That comment made my day.

dc
[quote]
On 2008-11-08 19:07, deadcatbounce wrote:
Josh,

Hmm..

DCB
[/quote]

I would suggest Dr. Bill Cushman's version which is featured in Psychological Subtleties 2. It is great and can be used in a impromptu setting. It is not your average "square". I love it.

Regards,

Sean
Well, now that I'm married I always have a ring with me no matter where I am, so "the ring thing" is a nice quick dazzler. Knew there had to be an upside to marriage!

Another one I've worked on for impromptu situations is the old coin fold trick using a banknote to fold the coin up in then making it appear in an unexpected place. Not quite happy with it yet though, although the coin fold is a great concept.

Having said all that, I nearly always have a deck of cards on me and that's my favourite prop of all!
When I have nothing I simply do tricks using my fingers. Iíll include tricks that involve me apparently removing my thumb, stretching my thumb, apparently breaking my fingers by cracking them. There are also other routines including the "Crossed Arm Stunt" found in Magic for Dummies that can also garner audience participation. If I can borrow a pen with a cap I perform Gregory Wilson's "Recap" routine. By learning a few vanishes you can pickup any small object and keep an audience entertained.
Message: Posted by: JaY-JaY Pickpocket (Nov 17, 2008 10:42AM)
A lot of magicians will not like me saying this....

But most magicians carry too much stuff on them when they go out. At the end of the day, each to it's own and you do what feels comfortable. Look at Jeff McBride, he wears a crazy pack around his waist with streamers, TT's, cards, everything.

However if youíre a magician, saying I do not have my props on me is a sell-out. You will lose your credibility straight away. I recommend (as members have said)

1. Pack of cards
2. TT
3. Coins
4. Packet trick, you keep in your wallet.

However I do not have any of these and can go for about five minutes without needing anything. How do I do it?

Well I am a pickpocket so that does help, however I recommend these small things.

1. Hand Twist (All you need is their two hands)
2. Point to your chin gag (Hold up one finger and tell them to point to their chin. But you point to your cheek.
3. 37 prediction number trick (2-digit number between 1-50. Both digits must be odd. Can not be the same number)
4. Carrot prediction (Name a vegetable)
5. 7 (Think of a number between 1-10)
6. Arm twist (If you are wearing sleeves)
7. In my wallet, I have my business card of where I perform the blank both sides card then appear my card.

They are the main ones I do if I have nothing. Or like I am at the gym and people are wearing nothing. However, most have coins on them and will play around with some coin effects.

Hope I helped!

JaY-JaY
[quote]
On 2008-10-14 15:50, The Naked Magician wrote:
Fellow magic people
whats the best thing to do, when your strolling down the road in your ideal world, the sun is scorching down, the breeze is cool and theres a beautiful girl on your side. and some idiot realises your a magician and asks you to do a trick. CAUGHT of guard. I'm not the kinda guy to say, errr no magic in me today! theres gotta be somthing you can do that's pretty impressive?
Thanks Guys and Gals
[/quote]

You can say your talent is in your other jacket.
I carry around a trick called scotch and soda a easy but amazing trick which will cause astonishment for most.
1. Deck of stripped cards
2. Coins
3. Raven coin gimmick around 20$-30$

These are what I usually have in my pockets at all times.
If you're in an office environment, or someone has a calendar on their mobile phone (they all do these days), then you can do the classic 'name the day of any date' trick. I absolutely love doing this when somebody inevitably asks the 'what day is this date three months from now?' type of question out of the blue ;) They are dumbfounded.

This one play insanely strong, because you can keep repeating it and it doesn't seem like a 'trick' but a real 'power' (if you get my drift).

Of course, if you're a mentalist all you need is pen and paper for some 'mind reading' - or just two people for a PK touch.

If you can't tell, I'm pants at hand sleights :P
I always carry around something simple and quick like a TT or dime and penny.;)
COFFEE BREAK ... can be done with whatever is in the break room. Mind Reading. Predictions. Psychic Bonding :)
All under 15 minutes.
X finger at http://www.papercranemagic.com all you need is a hand
Message: Posted by: The Wonder Company (Mar 1, 2009 11:29AM)
Magnetic fingers.
The hypnotism test.
To have influence over someone with just your voice is a powerful thing.
ROSHAMBO !!!!!!!
Back in the day when I was in JROTC we were helping vets play bingo. They found out I did magic and asked me to do a show. Not having my "equipment" I borrowed stuff and did a thirty minute show. Got a couple of bookings out of that.
The important thing is read all you can about magic. You can put on a show with borrowed items.
Ray
Hi team,, I still use the first magic trick I was shown at school age 14.You place a coin on each upturned palm,place your hands face down the table or the ground ,ask them what the two coins add up to,lift the empty hand first to show the vanish,reveal the two coins under the other hand.Iknow its a simple trick but at age 47 I stillvalue this little gem.
I just had an idea,(I love it when that happens)if they really wan't to see a spur of the moment thing,ask for one of their shoe lasses and one of their finger rings and go into Greg Wilson's Ring Leader.Empty pockets is not a problem but my typing speed IS.
There are a few things you can carry all the time in your pockets that do not use a lot of space. In the past I was caught off guard from time to time, but now I carry at least one or two decks of cards, four or five sponge balls and a TT. And when I'm wearing a big jacket I include either an invisible deck or, lately, bikes trilogy.

And the main reason why I carry those thongs with me all the time has turned to be not impromptu magic, but the fact that my magic has gotten much better lately because I get to practice a lot during my normal day, even when I teach at the university I sometimes take out a sponge ball and start disappearing it just for the fun of doing it and not telling my students what Iím doing. Obviously some of them notice its magic and start asking for more. Then I say I was just practicing and keep doing what I was doing.

Best regards,

Giovanni.
I have carried a pocket knife for years. Since I got out of school, I haven't left the house without one hardly. So for me color changing knives is a natural to have on me at all times. I carry the gimmick in my right pocket and the non gimmick in my left. A few minutes of entertainment right at my fingertips.
Quarter vanishes and appears under my watch twice. Under their watch the 3rd time. Simple & effective! 2 quarters!!!!
When you really and truly have nothing, well practiced sleight of hand will allow you to use ANYTHING at your immediate disposal.

Skim over some different prop moves in "Now You See It, Now You Don't," by Bill Tarr.
Study some vanishes and reappearances, and be able to do as many invisible transfers as necessary.

This way, small chit chat with a bic pen, or a coin/token/rock/stick off the ground/key/cell phone/glasses/tic tac case/ID or CC/bottlecap can amaze for as long as you need.

Don't plan for something specific. Learn the material that is versatile and will let you improv on the spot with ANYTHING you can manipulate.

Just my $0.02
First off, don't be a puppet. Don't let magic be a crutch for a lack of personality or self-esteem. You shouldn't have to resort to magic as a substitute for communication. There's nothing wrong with saying, "I'd rather not perform at the moment." It's not like they're going walk away thinking your magic must not be real 'cause you couldn't do something on the spot. There should be 0 pressure for you to perform anything. Don't feel as if you have to prove yourself.

If I do decide to entertain, I gather some coins, a pen, and I'm off to the races. Coins are always at hand! If I don't have ANYTHING material, then I'll do equivoque or hypnosis.
If you truly don't have anything on you and can't borrow anything, then use a line to get out of it... a very nice one that I heard from Thomas Medina was something along the lines of: "You know, I do this for a living. So, asking me to do a trick is like asking a hooker for a freebie." It gets a laugh, and then you can just walk away or say that you'll show them something later.

But as mentioned before, we should always have something in our pockets to do something on the spot. Not necessarily a magic prop, but common, every day things; change, cell phone, keys, bills, etc...

-Abe
"Caught off guard," huh?

May I recommend Steve Fearson's Goodbye Vanish? ;)
Hey, guys, it happens. Sometimes, you just have nothing. So saying, "Just make sure you always have something," doesn't answer the question.
If there are objects about, use them, obviously (the equivocal force was a great suggestion). Use what the asker has; if they have nothing, then go mental. No, not crazy, but mental tricks.
There are many books on impromptu magic. "Lifesavers" is great if it is still in print. So, you may be able to use what is around you.
Betcha's can be magical. That old "think of a number from 1-10, x's it by 9...etc., and why are you thinking of an Orange Kangaroo in Denmark" still gets a jaw drop.
Docc Hilford has a great subliminal experiment using the numbers 1-2-3-4.
Get "101 Method's of Forcing," it's not all card stuff.
Number/Math magic (low level that doesn't need paper, pencils calculators).
There is stuff to do if you absolutely have nothing, so saying be sure to always have something negates the question.
One I have been doing for years is to take out the coins in my pocket. Look through the coins on an open palm and say, "I use this quarter (or whatever coin you choose)." I pretend to take the coin and pocket the remainder to my pocket. I then pretend to put the coin into the other hand, blow on it and slowly open the hand to show the coin has vanished.

It has NEVER failed to get a strong reaction. Best impromptu effect when you have nothing on you to do.

-Ron