(Close Window)
Topic: Power Word: Fall (my Spooky illusion)
Hey guys, Paper Crane Productions posted a thread for my new illusion "Power Word: Fall" in Latest and Greatest thread today, but I thought it would also be right up your alley. I had someone tell me the demo was like a horror movie. I was definitely going for spooky as the effect of knocking things down with a word is pretty creepy. Check it out. It is my first released effect but I have been a lover of spooky telekinetic and psychokinetic magic for years. It releases soon.

Check out the demo here:
http://www.powerwordfall.com
OK, you have my full attention. Sounds very interesting. Ant clips of it in action you might share?

Kotah
Yep, Ron, it looks good. I hope it turns out as good as it looks! Click on his link above. I know I want one! I want one, I want one!

Bill
Duh, Bill you are right. I clicked on the site earlier and never noticed the dormant vid. Some of it looked like familar stuff. Guess the proof of the pudding lies in his chosen method.

Ron
Is this something new?
I have used Banachek's PK Pen for years and I wanted to create a psychokinetic effect using common items like that. I wanted an effect where I could borrow pens, have the spectator set them up, be nowhere near them and even turn my back and drop the items with a word. The effect grew from there to what it is today (Selecting items that will fall while others do not, making items fall off of others, etc. I am excited for its release. I hope you get a lot of use out of it if you choose to pick it up. It is a fun effect to perform, because the reactions are great. It stuns people. -Matt
***ed that's a pretty thing!
That's my wallet opened again.........
Yep, it appears my money will fall out of my wallet too for this :)
Wow!

Great video.
[quote]
On 2008-10-18 10:47, Michael Midnight wrote:
Wow!

Great video.
[/quote]

Thanks! I am glad you liked it!
I don't know if I am supposed to duplicate posts, so I will not post the entire story here, but I thought you would get a kick out of the newest reaction story I told on the thread in the latest and greatest section. There was a horror movie filming at my house, and I did Power Word: Fall for the script supervisor. The results were great! Check it out in the Latest and Greatest thread. Of course, if I had swallowed razor blades, I am pretty sure she would have actually died of fright. :)

-Matt
I liked it. I feel will be good for seances. Alhazred bless you...
Great video! I could fall easily for this.
I just fell on my face. *** you are powerful Matt!

Hehehe, love the video!
Looks great, can definitely see myself shelling out for this.

While I'm on the topic...any chance of a 'Power Word: Applause' any time soon?

;)
[quote]
On 2008-10-20 23:16, BIlly James wrote:
Looks great, can definitely see myself shelling out for this.

While I'm on the topic...any chance of a 'Power Word: Applause' any time soon?

;)
[/quote]

Oh how I wish I could say yes!
[quote]
On 2008-10-20 22:17, Clifford the Red wrote:
I just fell on my face. *** you are powerful Matt!

Hehehe, love the video!
[/quote]

Sorry about that Clifford the Red, Sometimes I do not know my own strength... :)
What we need to try is to make a "Tilting" bone. You put it on something and after a while it falls and you say:"It always wants to return to the grave".....
[quote]
On 2008-10-21 17:44, Roni wrote:
What we need to try is to make a "Tilting" bone. You put it on something and after a while it falls and you say:"It always wants to return to the grave".....
[/quote]

You should go make that! I bet there would be a market for it. That is creepily classic! :) -Matt Sconce
This looks to be very very good. Do you know when it will be available for all of us to order?
It should be released between October 27th and November 3rd. Thanks!
-Matt Sconce
Will there be any more info when its released or do we make a purchase decision on whats there already?

As a rule I find pre release teaser videos offputting.
[quote]
On 2008-10-22 21:29, beverage wrote:
Will there be any more info when its released or do we make a purchase decision on whats there already?

As a rule I find pre release teaser videos offputting.
[/quote]

You will be able to see reviews of the effect and then use them if you wish to make the purchasing decision. I also have answered a ton of questions in the Latest and Greatest Section of the Café, many more than some creators do about pre-released effects to give people more of an idea of what to expect. :) Thanks! -Matt Sconce
[quote]
On 2008-10-20 18:39, Magnalucius wrote:
I liked it. I feel will be good for seances. Alhazred bless you...
[/quote]

Why thank you! I can't wait to hear how this would be used at seances! -Matt Sconce
Wow very nice effect. I believe I could fall for it ;)

will you ship worldwide?

greets
[quote]
On 2008-10-24 12:21, constantin wrote:
Wow very nice effect. I believe I could fall for it ;)

will you ship worldwide?

greets
[/quote]

Yep, it will ship worldwide and it will also have an instant download option.

And the Pun was appreciated. "Fall for it" haha :)
-Matt Sconce
Well, it looks like this will release on Monday and at the latest Friday. I am excited! I really want to hear how it ends up getting used to get reactions! :)
-Matt Sconce
Please also let us know when you release the follow ups Power Word: Stun and Power Word: Kill!!!!

(My old D&D days forced me to type the above, my fellow magic-user 18 level+ arch liches!!! Acererak and Vecna would love it!!!)
Does the object fall when you want it to or is it a timed fall?
[quote]
On 2008-10-25 09:32, Dr Spektor wrote:
Please also let us know when you release the follow ups Power Word: Stun and Power Word: Kill!!!!

(My old D&D days forced me to type the above, my fellow magic-user 18 level+ arch liches!!! Acererak and Vecna would love it!!!)
[/quote]

I will definitely let you know! Haha! But my next release will have to be magic missile...;)

[quote]
On 2008-10-25 09:37, acesover wrote:
Does the object fall when you want it to or is it a timed fall?
[/quote]

It is NOT a timed fall. The objects fall at your command. :)

-Matt Sconce
Power Word: Fall is released! http://www.powerwordfall.com Enjoy making things fall down! Try to control your new found power! ;) -Matt Sconce
I ordered the DVD with special items. Does the download contain additional information?

Bill
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 11:15, Bill Ligon wrote:
I ordered the DVD with special items. Does the download contain additional information?

Bill
[/quote]

Nope, the download is the same information but lacks the menus or cover art or items.

Have fun! -Matt Sconce
Just ordered the DVD/Download combo. Looking forward to this as PK effects have been my staple for over ten years, and this effect really took me by surprise. Once I've had a chance to review the effect properly, I'll post a review.

P.S. Matt, are you working on any pyrokinesis effects?
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 12:38, bloodkin wrote:

P.S. Matt, are you working on any pyrokinesis effects?
[/quote]

Perhaps...Mwah Ha Ha! I look forward to your thoughts. -Matt Sconce
Well, if you're ever up for comparing notes or chatting about pyrokinesis, just let me know. I'm working on something now that I hope to release next year. But not right now as my FALL download is almost complete. So much for working on the comic strip today.
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 12:46, bloodkin wrote:
Well, if you're ever up for comparing notes or chatting about pyrokinesis, just let me know. I'm working on something now that I hope to release next year. But not right now as my FALL download is almost complete. So much for working on the comic strip today.
[/quote]

Sounds great! I look forward to your effect. I love pyrokinesis! I hope you enjoy Power Word: Fall. :) -Matt Sconce
Hi Matt,
Just ordered this and Universal Impression. I forgot to check first though regarding the download - can I run it on a Mac?
Simon
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 14:54, scolman wrote:
Hi Matt,
Just ordered this and Universal Impression. I forgot to check first though regarding the download - can I run it on a Mac?
Simon
[/quote]

The download is 150mb and is a WMV file. If you can play WMV, you should be good to go! :) -Matt Sconce
I should be able to use an application to play it (I ordered the combined DVD package anyway- just in case).

Simon
Hi Matt,
I just downloaded Power Word - Fall.

I have to say I think this is a really fantastic effect. Simple and brilliant, just the way I like it. It's unfortunate that its almost midnight here in Johannesburg because I can't wait to try this out on someone. Maybe I should wake my wife???
Perhaps I can get her to "fall" out of bed?

Jokes aside, I want to congratulate you. This is a totally workable performance piece and I love the fact that you can really perform it in any environment at any time with very little prep work. The cost vs benefit balance is fantastic.

I will post a proper review once I've had a chance to get in front of some innocent bystanders.

Thanks,
Simon
[quote]
On 2008-10-29 17:56, scolman wrote:
Hi Matt,
I just downloaded Power Word - Fall.

I have to say I think this is a really fantastic effect. Simple and brilliant, just the way I like it. It's unfortunate that its almost midnight here in Johannesburg because I can't wait to try this out on someone. Maybe I should wake my wife???
Perhaps I can get her to "fall" out of bed?

Jokes aside, I want to congratulate you. This is a totally workable performance piece and I love the fact that you can really perform it in any environment at any time with very little prep work. The cost vs benefit balance is fantastic.

I will post a proper review once I've had a chance to get in front of some innocent bystanders.

Thanks,
Simon
[/quote]

Thank you, I am proud of the effect and so happy to get it into the hands of fellow magicians. Best of luck and I look forward to your review. :) -Matt Sconce
Posted my review here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=282073&forum=111&0
Managed to squeeze in an early performance this morning after very little practice.

My review is here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=282073&forum=111&2&start=0#1

Simon
I did not buy the download, but just the DVD and the little extra, so I am on pins and needles waiting for it to arrive. For me it sounds like it is something I can really use, and I have a routine that I believe it will fit perfectly.

Bill
[quote]
On 2008-10-30 01:42, Bill Ligon wrote:
I did not buy the download, but just the DVD and the little extra, so I am on pins and needles waiting for it to arrive. For me it sounds like it is something I can really use, and I have a routine that I believe it will fit perfectly.

Bill
[/quote]

I am excited for you to get it! It sounds like people like Power Word: Fall, and I must say I am quite proud of the DVD. I think you will like the creepy menus, music and ease of navigation. :) -Matt Sconce
I have another question...what kind of objects can you make fall? only thse with a high centre of gravity? or others too?

hope the question is not too confusing :)

thanks a lot!
[quote]
On 2008-10-30 19:23, constantin wrote:
I have another question...what kind of objects can you make fall? only thse with a high centre of gravity? or others too?

hope the question is not too confusing :)

thanks a lot!
[/quote]

Check out this part of Simon's review to see the answer: :) -Matt Sconce

[quote]
On 2008-10-30 00:12, scolman wrote:

7. There are some restrictions on the type of objects that can be made to fall. Don't think you can get the television to topple off the cabinet (which is quite fortunate really, or you'd not be able to finish watching the DVD!). The objects need to be relatively small and obviously they must be able to be "toppled". The objects used in the DVD are pens, permanent markers, ping pong balls, cards.
I have experimented with coins (standing on edge), sponge balls, tarot cards (being a bizarrist). I also put a bobbin of sewing thread on the table and got it to roll off the other side. This was particularly cool as I've been working on a story about the cobbler and elves for a kids show...

Simon
[/quote]
Wow that's weird

I read the review but somehow this part diddnt get through to my brain. shame on me! thanks a lot :) hopefully its still available by the end of november/beginning of december? hehe I'm broke now *sigh*

thanks a lot and greets ;)
No problem Constantin. I hope it is available too! I know what it is like to be broke. Too bad we can't make quarters "Really" come out of our ears huh? I hope you can get this and start to enjoy it soon! :) -Matt Sconce
Hehehe true true...thats really too bad...on the other hand maybe ill meet a leperchaun in a bar who after ill fight him I will drink and after me showing him a coin trick he will teach me how to do it for real ;)

Hehe I will defiently be able to get it by the end /start of november/december :) its the waiting that always kills. I have some stuff where delivery is in progress and its like needles and pins every day running to the mailbox ;)

hah another question popped up...if lets say I have a small box on the table (like a minichest or something - I'm thinking there of a Lippencott box) and the lid is open. can I make it shut with your illusion?

thanks a lot and many greets ;)
[quote]
On 2008-10-31 07:06, constantin wrote:
Hehehe true true...thats really too bad...on the other hand maybe ill meet a leperchaun in a bar who after ill fight him I will drink and after me showing him a coin trick he will teach me how to do it for real ;)

Hehe I will defiently be able to get it by the end /start of november/december :) its the waiting that always kills. I have some stuff where delivery is in progress and its like needles and pins every day running to the mailbox ;)

hah another question popped up...if lets say I have a small box on the table (like a minichest or something - I'm thinking there of a Lippencott box) and the lid is open. can I make it shut with your illusion?

thanks a lot and many greets ;)
[/quote]

I do not know the details of the box, but if the box has a lid that is balanced between falling closed and standing open, and it light enough, this should be possible. :) Good luck with that Leprechaun! -Matt
Mine came today, and I am really impressed with this. It is fabulous and so well thought out that you will have a miracle on your hands. Start a cult, found a religion! Seriously, the thinking behind this is impressive and the method is incredibly beautiful. I have already thought of the outline of a story to be told with this. I believe you can use this as a stand-alone effect or within a larger routine.

To answer in part to Constantin's question, I think the typical Lippencott box has probably too stiff a lid hinge. I could be wrong, but the ones I am familiar with have pretty stiff hinges. Maybe you can loosen one up enough to work.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with this one and I know it will have a permanent place in my repertoire.

Bill
[quote]
On 2008-10-31 15:19, Bill Ligon wrote:
Mine came today, and I am really impressed with this. It is fabulous and so well thought out that you will have a miracle on your hands. Start a cult, found a religion! Seriously, the thinking behind this is impressive and the method is incredibly beautiful. I have already thought of the outline of a story to be told with this. I believe you can use this as a stand-alone effect or within a larger routine.

To answer in part to Constantin's question, I think the typical Lippencott box has probably too stiff a lid hinge. I could be wrong, but the ones I am familiar with have pretty stiff hinges. Maybe you can loosen one up enough to work.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with this one and I know it will have a permanent place in my repertoire.

Bill
[/quote]

I am glad you are enjoying Power Word: Fall, Bill! Let us know of any crazy stories that happen when you perform the effect! :) -Matt Sconce
Anyone use this for Halloween? I know Narendra (Ustaad on the forums) used it at for a PK/Seance effect by making a 1.5 inch high IMP bottle with a rounded base fall over. He said it really freaked the spectators out. -Matt Sconce