(Close Window)
Topic: Lines for getting a signature on bill
Hi,

To us magicians it seems natural to get everything signed - a card, a bill etc. But to spectators and volunteers not at all.

What line do you use when asking the spectator to sign their bill?
Do you have anything better from:
- "And could you sign your name on it please"
- "And could you sign your name on it please, that will help to identify it later on"
-"And could you sign your name on it please, it makes it more special when your name is on it"
- "And could you sign your name on it please, that way when I get home I'll know who gave me that bill"

Thanks for your ideas,

Simcha
That last line is classic!!!

I will use it. thanks simcha

Sh
Seabrooke's great line: "What you have done is illegal."
Or the Mac King variation. Mac: "Where are you from?"
Volunteer: "From (name of city or state)"
Mac: "Well I don't what they call this where you're from but here in Nevada we call it Illegal."
I always tell the spectator to put a mark on the bill. Now signiature. either a first name, initial, symbol etc. If the spectator spends the destroyed bill with their signiature on it, Yea.
"Here...I want you to sign this."

Works every time!

Mark.
Simcha your supposed to sign your own a bill and give it to the female spectator. Not have them sign it and keep it for yourself.
You'll never get the chicks your way.
I met someone that was a bit funny about signing their bill so instead I ask for initials... it also makes sense as British money has a small watermark window just big enough for some initials

luke
Don't worry...it can always be laundered!
Now that's one I like!

Mark. :rotf:
I always just ask them to sign or initial the bill "in case we ever see it again we'll recognize it"
gets a good laugh for me.
I ask them for their autograph.

Somehow, it makes things seem more relaxed than "signature". Don't know why, just seems to be.
I like Kozmo lines after the layman signs the bill, "You just committed a federal felony." (similar)
I always say straightforward:
"Ok, go ahead and sign that anywhere so you know it's yours."

No one ever questions it and it's a play on their psyche too. It registers in their mind as, "Yea, so I know it's mine."

After they sign the bill, I'll say:
"Ok, good, at least you committed the crime first." Then people kinda chuckle and I go on with whatever effect I'm about to do.
"Ok, What we are going to do is raise the value of this bill. Go ahead and put your autograph on the bill for me. Good. You just raised the value by a cent"

A few different jokes put together, Mainly a Jay Sankey joke from that trick in "Front row Sankey"

-Mark Tirone
Not sure the "getting your autograph" thing (a la Sankey) quite works when it's their bill! Certainly if I have anything of my own signed (a card for example), I might make a joke about selling it on eBay or something.

As a continuation of the "illegal" avenue of patter, if you're doing a pen thru bill or vanishing bill, you can say something like, "now you've defaced it that note is totally worthless, so you won't be so angry when I push a pen through it..."

But honestly, I'd just go with "can you sign it for me?" as you hand them the pen. Far from making them suspicious or unco-operative, I think it makes people curious and builds the suspense about what's going to happen. I usually go with a line like "you're all going to love this... well, most of you are going to love it", indicating the money lender might not...!
It's not legal, that's why I'll have your name on it!
I like the line if you see it I mean when you see it again.
Hello all,
I know I'm late to this discussion, but...

Why the heck is most everyone enjoying the fact that we are emphasizing that what we are having the spectator do is illegal? What kind of relationship is a comment like that trying to build? Alright, I know its "funny" and done tongue in cheek however can we not be a bit more creative? (please don't tell me I'm over analyzing this - I over analyze every piece of magic I do, that's what makes me good at what I do )

a simple "please sign this" works if you are not creative enough to think any further. I ask the participant to "please mark the bill in some way so that we can identify it later if it ever returns, any words would work- perhaps GOODBYE..G...O..O.."

It gets a chuckle, and I'm not telling them they are doing something wrong or illegal. Inherently they know that if they are asked to mark the bill, they will be seeing it later. Audiences today are very intelligent.

2cents

Madmanmike
I'm not sure that "illegal" is so *uncreative*.

Someone else (Serge, I think) put forth a variation of your line, "so we can identify it later, if it ever returns", so your particular line is somewhat standard also.

I can certainly sympathize with you that the illegal line might be overused, but that's only amoung magicians. Laymen have probably never heard the line, so it seems fresh and funny to them.

To me, the illegal line is totally innocent, since I think most intelligent audiences are aware that we're not going to have them do anything actually illegal.

I personally never ask for their initials or name. I ask for an identifying mark, such as a symbol like a heart, or a random word, or their ATM pin number.

Then, if they draw a heart, I ask for their initials and put those on one side of the heart, and then I put my initials on the other side of the heart and a plus
sign "+" between them. Then I draw the stylized arrow piercing the heart, showing true love.

Young women giggle and blush, and older women sometimes go along with the gag. (I'm old, bald, and fat--basically harmless, so this plays for me.)

And, if it's a crazy crowd, and the woman is going along with it, I start fumbling in my pockets, pull out whatever I'm carrying and start digging through it while mumbling..."Blue pill...I know I've got one of those blue pills".

If it's a not so crazy crowd, I may skip putting my initials on it and ask the young gentleman friend for his. This can lead to some serious blushing and laughter.

And, if you've picked the WRONG guy, it can be an absolute riot.
With folks of the opposite sex, or the same sex if they are gay, ask for them to put on their name and phone number, usually gets a laugh.
Then you can say, "oh I see it's a 900 number!"