(Close Window)
Topic: Crazy Man's Handcuffs revisited
I was doing bedside magic and a thought occured to me. A small boy who was a patient at a children's hospital said, "I'm a magician too!" He was so excited.

"Are you REALLY? Then you know that the magician's FIRST rule is to never tell how a trick is done, right?"

"Oh yes."

"Well then, would you like to test your magic and see how strong it is?"

He looked at me skeptically but I just smiled and tried to be as encouraging as I could.

=IF YOU DON'T KNOW CRAZY MAN'S HANDCUFFS THEN THIS MIGHT NOT MAKES SENSE TO YOU

I told the boy to hold his fingers in the way that the magician does with the first rubber band. I carefully put the band on his finger and thumb and told him to keep it tight, don't let it slip off. Then I linked my rubber band behind that one and pulled it taut enough that it was obviously linked. At the same time I did 'the setup.'

"See, they're linked together, can your momma and daddy see that?" He nodded at me. It seemed the boy wasn't even breathing he was concentrating so hard.

"Now son, gently pull your rubber band back. Don't let go, just pull it back and stretch out the bands."

He did and when it got just a little tight (he was a very sick boy and I didn't know how strong he was) I did the move and one band melted through the other.

He gasped and turned to his parents, face shining.

"SEE? I TOLD you I'm a magician!" he said to them.

He got a moment of joy and I got a new handling for a very old trick.

Cool
I just love moments like that! There is nothing more personally satisfying than giving a sick child the power to amaze, when they are faced with the powerless circumstances of fighting an illness in hospital. My hat is off to you sir, you gave him the magical moment he will never forget!
That is a GREAT story! You certainly earned your "gold star" for the day.

Mark. :thumbsup:
Beautiful moment - thanks for sharing it.
Wow! He was really amazed! :wow:
That magical moment for the kid is priceless.
Thanks Rik,

Wonderful story. I've never thought of letting the spectator hold one rubber band. What a great way to let a child "perform the magic."

Dave
That is a great addition.

I sometimes will give a spectator two bands and have him do as I do...of course mine separate and his stay linked. People always ask to see it again. I bet that if doing it a second time together wouldn't reveal the secret but would double the delight of the spectator.

Has anyone else tried Rik's collaborative version yet?

-Dan
[quote]
Has anyone else tried Rik's collaborative version yet?
-Dan
[/quote]

I have performed this effect with spectators in two ways. Every so often I'll use an approach that I think I got from Ammar's book where I reach around from behind the spectator so that they get the "backstage" view. I have also tried having the spectator hold one of the bands, but I haven't done what really make's Rik's handling special. That is to say, I haven't "given the magic" to the spectator. Rather I used it as sort of a "challenge" version to increase the apparent impossibility of the effect. Rik's version is more to my liking.

Best Wishes,
The Wiz
I think what you do for those children Rik is really touching. :)
Great way to make the spectator into the magician!
You da man, Rik!

I like everything about that story except the name "Crazy" man's handcuffs.

I work in psychiatric hospitals (20 + years) and the [b]C[/b] word is not nice.

I know you think I'm just being picky but not really. I know you DIDN'T call the kid that. But sometimes, more than the tricks, our actions play a big part in what we do. I also know you ARE a very decent human being with a BIG heart. And for that I say God bless you!

In this PC world we live in today that word is very taboo.

When I was performing in a half-way house (for adults) I said a line "I've been doing this trick all over the world and it drives people [i]crazy[/i] trying to figure it out."

I got a letter from the agency saying the facilitator was offended that I used that word! Go figure?!

I no longer use the C word anymore than I take the lords name in vain.

This opinion was sent with love and tenderness.

Carry on...sorry to be a downer.

:cheers:
I never did like the title either....so I would start off asking kids are they still teaching you in science in physicis class that one solid cannot penetrate another solid...then I laugh...I tell them yeah, they used to try to teach that to me but then I showed them this little experiemnt with 2 rubber bands.
Murphys magic supplies has bags of different colored bands that are perfect as give aways or office Max I think # 19 I buy by the hundreds but they don't have any coloring. I prefer the matched colored ones, red, blue, yellow...
This trick is always in my wallet 2-3 sets..
Bill
Your story is really cute ! You will go to heaven.

But could you describe the position a bit more ?
I have been doing this in other peoples hands for a while. However I had some problems in the beginning with moving spectators. Their elastic were slipping away from their fingers as I pulled. I solved it by making them hold the elastic with two hands. It works well but is way less elegant.

By the way, if you want to sound savant when you talk about their physics classes, tell them you are going to break the Pauli principle, as, to have a solid melt threw a solid, they must be at the same place at the same time at one point.

cheers
Hey guys, I didn't use the name of the trick when performing it. I just told him that it was a test of magic skill. Really, I don't mind the name of the trick. There's no need to use it.

If you saw me perform you'd think every trick is names, "Hey wait, you gotta see this." or "You like that? Oh geez, check this out."
Made me think - what IS it that I say to start? So I paid attention and today I walked up to a guy and said, "When's the last time you've seen a half dollar?... When's the last time you've seen one do THIS?"
I never thought of doing it this way, thanks for the alternate handling. I usually perform the full routine that Michael Ammar does, with the bill traveling down the rubber bands for the finally. It's on one of his classic renditions DVDs. I will be adding this into the routine somewhere, thanks again!
[quote]
On 2009-05-22 14:58, HMAC wrote:
But could you describe the position a bit more ?
I have been doing this in other peoples hands for a while. However I had some problems in the beginning with moving spectators. Their elastic were slipping away from their fingers as I pulled. I solved it by making them hold the elastic with two hands. It works well but is way less elegant.
[/quote]

I'm sorry I missed this question. The child held it like I do, between thumb and fore finger. Both were pointing up to the ceiling like the letter U. Then I linked my band behind that and kept my hand slightly below his so the band wouldn't come off.
Another way for the spec to hold the bands, from Link!, is have him point each forefinger at you, and then curl the fingers in, forming a hook shape. You can then put the band over the "hook", and since his fingers are pointed back at himself, the band can't slip off when you pull your band away from him.
[quote]
On 2009-09-05 17:43, John Long wrote:
Another way for the spec to hold the bands, from Link!, is have him point each forefinger at you, and then curl the fingers in, forming a hook shape. You can then put the band over the "hook", and since his fingers are pointed back at himself, the band can't slip off when you pull your band away from him.
[/quote]

I LIKE that!
[quote]
On 2009-09-06 17:27, rikbrooks wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I LIKE that!
[/quote]

You may want to get Link! (that's where the idea came from) It has a lot of good ideas and methods. In particular, it shows how to do a linking befor the unlinking (thus, you don't need to do the initial set up, you just push your band through the specs). Another effect in Link! that I want to work on is how to link a rubber band to a ring, or another rubber band (this is not CMH, but two ungimmic bands are linked - you hold one band, and the other is seen dangling off of it, and then unlinked in full view.
What is Link! ?
Very cool.
Link! is the name of a DVD by Nabil Murday. It has many variations on CMH, plus an effect that links a rubber band to another(end to end, not like the linking of CMH), or a rubber band to a ring. It was created well, and has contributions from many magicians.

I think having a way to initially link the rubber bands is a significant addition to CMH.

John
Rikbrooks- Great story! Thanks for sharing. I'm so happy to hear about people creating magical moments for people, rather then just performing at people. And it's extra super-duper cool that you are doing "bedside magic :)

John- Thanks for the plug. I'm glad you are getting use out of it.

If anyone wants to read more about "LINK!", read customer reviews, see the promo video, it's at my site. Although I don't sell it direct anymore, so you have to go through your favorite magic shop. :)
Great story
[quote]
[/quote]

Yup, that's exactly the handling I use for the second phase of my CMH routine; I start doing the effect in my hands, then give the spec one using this position (grab their wrist gently to guide and distract them when you do the slight). Gets double the reaction because it's right under their noses! I finish it off with Rubber Band Meltdown where the two bands "melt" into each other leaving only one band which I then present as a souvenier.

And HUGE KUDOS to the original poster for making such as magical moment for that little boy- THAT is what the best reward is.
My routine consists of 3 phases:

1. in my hands with slide to the right
2. in my hands directly through the middle
3. in the spectators hands

here a short demo of the first 2 phases: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCKI_U6QEro

best and good luck with this beautiful mini illusion
So powerful Rik. You are obviously a man of great compassion to not only perform for these kids but to also empower them. Keep up the good work and God Bless.

Ray
Great Rik! Wonderful story and great variation of the handcuffs!

I have tried this on my six years old nephew and she was absolutely amazed - and she even saw it weeks before, when I performed it alone. Great variation of this trick - doubles the impact! Especially on children!
That is what magic is all about.
So sweet and a great take on the trick I hadn't considered! :) I'm going to have to try this with some people that aren't just out to ruin it ;) hehe
Which rubberband / elastic band dvd is the out there for adult close up work. message me please.
Check out Jon Allen's 3 dvd set "Connections". It has the best routine for this trick from start to finish. It's Magic!!
Just plain AWESOMENESS!
Thank you for SHARING!
For a trick that has been "exposed" and often overlooked, this has still got to be one of the greatest magic tricks ever, no joke. Not even close-up or walk around, just straight up in all of magic.

Completely impromptu, no setup, ordinary objects that can be examined at any time, no fancy or fishy thing happens. They just melt right through like real magic.
This story makes me smile. Thank you for sharing :)
That was just Perfect!! 👍
Thanks for sharing a real magic moment. :angel:
Rik, that's great what you did! I"ll often do a TT silk vanish or some other visual trick but I"m going to add that rubber band effect for children. Thanks for sharing!

What I'll often do after the initial trick is move into my "magic tv set" which is using imagination to help a child distract for a while from being sick, scared, hurting, etc. It is very effective and powerful. If anyone wants to learn more you can PM me for details - I'm happy to share what I do.

Also, for you medical people here, PM me if you want to know my method for setting up small children for pleasant anesthesia/surgeries - I just did it for a five-year-old having heart surgery. She actually had a good time. :)
Message: Posted by: The Crap Illusionist (Feb 22, 2017 04:06PM)
Brilliant story...
[quote]On Oct 23, 2008, NurseRob wrote:
I just love moments like that! There is nothing more personally satisfying than giving a sick child the power to amaze, when they are faced with the powerless circumstances of fighting an illness in hospital. My hat is off to you sir, you gave him the magical moment he will never forget! [/quote]

quite cool and excellent!! <3
This is what magic is all about. It's not about the magician or how great s/he is. It's about instilling a sense of joy and wonder in the spectator. And if the spectator can feel that they created the magic, then all the better. You are a wise Magus - and it's a brilliant story!