(Close Window)
Topic: Masked Intruders Broke Into My Home
It was 1 am and I heard banging sounds coming from downstairs. I was up and racing down the stairs ready to kick @ like a superhero. (Not the brightest thing to do but I was awoken from sleep and wasn't thinking straight).

The first intruder sees me and races out the door. The second remained behind as I had blocked the exit to freedom..not intentionally so I gingerly made my way around the room giving ample room for the masked bandit to make his/her escape. Instead the bandit jumped up on my couch and sat beside my cat. Now this particular cat suffers from a neurological disorder and twitches which I prayed wouldn't happen while the intruder was sitting next to her which would cause panic and possibly attack. The intruder leaves. I survey the damage of the broken door and realize I can't board it up until the return of my panicked housepets.

3 am the masked intruders return but this time with family and friends!!!! OMG!!! They walk into the house via the now broken cat door, single file and I stop counting at 4 as I started banging on the walls and making noises to scare them off. They respond by hissing and growling at me. They decided to crash my place and have a party! I knew the cats in the neighborhood have a secret network in which they pass on information that my place is good for an occasional meal but now the racoons are doing that as well. You knew I was speaking of racoons didn't you? Ha! Ha!

5 am They all leave and I'm exhausted. Kibbles were dunked in water dishes so that is resembles mush and then they tracked those paw prints all over the light colored flooring. The tried to open cat food cans, ripped open bags and made a mess not even bothering to clean it up before they left at dawn. Very inconsiderate univited house guest!

Where was Vinnie and Magic Santa when I needed them?

Chrystal
Wow, I was so having flashbacks until you mentioned Raccoons. I've actually had human intruders walk into my apartment. Scary stuff. Glad it was just furry little annoyances.

Eddie
Thank you for posting this I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Like I say Hardship, adversity and tragedy happen to us all, some remember it as an adventure, it make a great story.
Eddie I couldn't imagine how scary that must have been and glad your around to tell us about it.

Tom, thanks for your input and I'm glad you enjoyed it. My work mates were laughing hysterically when I arrived late this morning and relayed the story of my adventure.

Chrystal
Funny story, Chrystal- brings back memories. A lady friend of mine, who lived alone, had a similar visit about 6 months after I had provided her with a "Lady Smith" 38 special and some shooting lessons, except the culprit had entered her bedroom middle of the night.

The raccoon escaped unharmed, but the wall will never be the same...

Jim
In case you want to prevent future invasions, they sell "keyed" pet doors. Basically, the door has a magnetic switch that activates when the pet gets close- since it's wearing a tag on its collar similiar to the anti-theft devices in department stores. Unless a racoon follows directly behind, it won't get in.

Good luck with the clean up!

-Erik
Chrystal's story reminded me of this ... the use of a Taser on a home invading raccoon.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/165350
Thanks for that story Balducci! It gives me slight evil pleasure knowing this can happen to other people as well!

Erik, great suggestion and I had considered it in the past. However, I foster for various Humane Societies so always have a housefull of pets. The kit of remote collars and pet door unfortunately only come with 2 collars. If you need more they have to be custom made and I have numerous four legged critters.

I'm also moving at the end of the month to a new home on acreage I purchased to operate a rescue shelter. My stupid fault anyhow, for storing 40 pound bags of pet food downstairs which were so enticing, the raccoons decided to bring all their friends to share. I'm looking forward to seeing what else comes through pet doors - egads! Oh please please don't ever let it be a skunk! See, it could have been worse and I'm always looking on the bright side of things. Plus it made for a humorous story.

Hey! I can now spell RACCOON! LOL! I realized I had been spelling it incorrectly but my excuse is my lack of sleep...ha ha!

The raccoons didn't gain entry last night as I blocked the door with plexiglass and a heavy object behind it. They're pretty smart so I suspect they're going to be trying again. I should proabably replace the pet door with a solid panel anyhow as I'm slowly moving the animals over to the new place. The Raccoons aren't invited of course..although they are pretty cute.

Chrystal
Thank goodness your dogs are alright. I read in the paper once that a German Shepard was killed by a raccoon. Those suckers can be 40 pounds of anger, I had one in a tree over my head hissing at me back in the bay area. Scared the heck out of me.

At Mont Blue (how ever it is spelled) their security camera caught a black bear walking in the back door and down the hall. It turned and walked back out just as an employee came in a side door and the employee never saw it. Ten seconds earlier he would have opened the door right into the bear. It might be on youtube somewhere.

I happen to be a raccoon fan. If they lived here in the desert I'd make 'em welcome.
Crystal, pepperspray... the little monsters will hate it.
We live on the edge of a cliff, overlooking a huge nature reserve with a major river, so there are lots and lots of animals and we used to leave out cookies and water for the Raccoons and they would dunk them in the water and eat them. One time my husband was trying to offer a raccoon a jelly sandwich, we thought they'd like and I grabbed one and walked up to the Raccoon and handed it to it and the raccoon took it and I walked back and we watched it eat it. NOW you tell me it could have jumped me! I guess they are dangerous. I guess that was rather stupid but it was very cool and exciting! I did it so fast that neither of us were scared.
Masked intruders...hmmm...did they expose your magic effects? ;)
The following happened at Analog Devices, Woburn, Mass.

We had a pond where people could go and eat lunch and thing poetic thoughts or read Walden. A raccoon had puppy raccoons (what is a baby raccoon?) and they were very cute and ran around like lil' kittes. A lovely lady employee was out there and decided to pet a baby. The mother raccoon almost, and may have, tore her hand off in an attack so vicious it caused pit bulls to stand back with awe and respect. This happened around 1990. Don't mess with wild critters.
Thanks for sharing your stories everyone.

I knew a family of raccoons lived close by as my neighbor converted the majority of his backyard into a beautiful ornamental stream.We live in the burbs and a lot of my neighbors including myself have fish ponds. They avoid my yard as it's usually full of dogs. However, they came in to the front cat door so gotta admire their brazen attempts. If they hadn't been in my house I would have ignored them, but as soon as I made noises which they interpreted as threats, they started snarling and hissing and I knew better than to proceed down the stairs. Imagine 4 of them in your home!!!

Long time ago I saw a guy trying to scare off a raccoon who was attempting to eat the duck eggs in a huge park in our city. In a flash the raccoon became aggressive with fangs drawn, growls and snarling, he charged the guy. This silly guy was running backwards towards me and my dog, we hightailed it out of there. I never forgot the sight so I've always been a tad wary of them since. They appear cute and docile but if you scare them in any way they can turn vicious

Cute? Yes, they are adorable and my sister visits a family of them that visit her acreage. Sorceress, I can see why you feed them but probably wouldn't hand them anything. I once fed one when my headlights caught a slow moving object waddling across the street at midnight, which I thought was an injured cat. I was living in university housing at the time and it was late at night. Racing into the house I brought out a plate of food for the "kitty" and sat on the steps waiting for it's return. I looked down and suddenly see a raccoon sitting beside me, silently said some swear words beneath my breath as I realized my error. I was afraid to move suddenly as his body was touching my legs and had to wait until he finished.

So far, I've twarted the attempts of the 4 masked intruders from returning so I'm crossing my fingers, legs and eyes that's the last I've seen of them. Maybe I should leave tasty treats in front of my nasty neighbor across the street? (chuckles in evil manner).

Chrystal
While most critters are amusing and basically harmless, in central Florida there is a seasonal problem with rabid raccoons, so much so that the state spends a great deal of money putting out rabies vaccine bait. No worries as the bait vaccinates the raccons that eat it and they enjoy the taste so much they scuffle with each other to get it. My point....you may want to check with your wildlife officials just to make sure raccoon rabies is not a problem where you are at. I think it is just a problem here but a phone call or two can erase any doubt.Thought Farmer.
Thanks for that info TF. Sounds like the officials in your area are pro-active!

Last year, I read in the paper about a sad story in which a house pet brought home a dead rabid bat. As the cat and the other animals in the household weren't up to date in their innoculations all the animals in the household had to be euthenized, even though none showed any sign of rabies. Coming into contact with a rabid animal was enough to have them euthenized. I've always made sure all the pets in my home are innoculated and all are up to date with rabies. I haven't heard of our officials putting bait out (as far as I know) as rabies is still very rare up here.

Still there's always a possibility, and how terrifying it would have been if any of those raccoons that entered my house were rabid. Gives me the shudders just thinking about it. I'll talk to my vet just to make sure - thanks again Thought Farmer.
Very interesting stories Crystal! I can't imagine sitting right smack next to a Racoon while he ate, COOL! I can imagine them going crazy now!
You should tell more stories, they are really interesting and fun to read! Most people don't have as much contact as you do with all your animals.