(Close Window)
Topic: Tossed out deck - ever tried it?
Anyone? Ever given it a go, once you have a reasonable crowd? Seems to me it could work pretty well...

All comments, of course, welcome..

DCB
The tossed out deck is one of Gazzo's signature effects.

Jon Archer has a great version on his Educating Archer DVD that would work well in a busking environment.

Just don't think that getting 3 people to stand while everyone else is sitting is going to fly ;)

Maybe instead have the specs that catch the deck raise their hands or something.
I was thinking more along the lines of asking them to step up out the "crowd" and receive the applause... Each one getting more applause, as the effect builds.

Gazzo, heh? And I'm not too keen on his MO - but - he've very successful at what he does, and seems very happy with it, so - good luck to him, although I doubt he needs it..!

:)

DCB
I did this effect over 400 times outdoors at a theme park in 1971. I was on a stage and it was my opener. I usually had at least 25 -30 people standing around at the time I began the routine. I simply asked the people to respond loudly with a "yes" or a "no" when I named the card.

So it went like this, "Sir, did I name your card?"

It was a killer.

Terry
Funny this topic should pop up, I am currently working on a presentation for this trick. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
While traverling in Canada some time back now I meat Gerard the Mentalist he had his own great version of the tossed out deck.
Mario
The funny thing about this is that the old David Hoy Tossed Out Deck was much simpler than all of the other versions. Some of the new ideas appear to me to be trying to fix a problem that does not really exist.
Message: Posted by: Cholly, by golly! (Nov 17, 2008 01:50PM)
Hoy was a genius.

His impromptu book test is still one of the best ever.
From my own limited (<20 shows) experence busking - I think its a great opener - the reason being - (and I'm Sorry to say ) lay people HATE card tricks - (too begin with atleast-)
why? - because every 8 year old does card tricks and the plot is almost always the same. "you choose - I loose, I find - you snooze" . its very possible they have never seen a good magician before.

As derren brown puts in his book "you can tell jokes to friends - but only the most arrogant so and so would call himself a comedian - but any child with a Svengali deck can call himself a magician" - they associate cards with 3 mins of smileing along

T.O.D is so SO so different from the traditional plot and seems utterly impossible - so its great for those who don't like card tricks. .......gazzo's way of staggering the revelation is great -

I enjoyed "big AL catraz" doing this at the ED fringe this year and finally clicked how strong the effect is in big groups.I also saw a great video from matthew johnson who uses WMCA gags to give a comedy context.
Interesting. I watched Big AL Catraz on the street in Edinburgh - must have seen the same show as you. But I didn't see him do the TOD. Granted, I missed the start of his show...was he the one with the fish tank?

I see the David Hoy version is available as a downloadable PDF. Is it radically different from say, the Wayne Dobson version?

Regards,

DCB
Yeah - he had the card in mouth meets Jaws gag.

I found it facinating to have the girls I was with re-create in their minds what the tossed out deck was - in recall - as is oft the case - they even forgot the deck was tossed out and thought it just a stunning piece of mind reading...... that's when I got faith in this trick. . . . . .before then I wasnt sure ,...its method just seemed to be obvious..... but lay people view magic so differently.

A
Lay people do indeed view things MUCH more differently.

My woman is always banging on about me constantly doing sponge ball variations every time she sees me work. And CMH and Stargazer. And Holy Moley. But - these kill - not just lay people. I do, of course, have a wide selection of other effects, but these 3 I mentioned - I rarely leave them out - they may be old tricks to me, but to the speccies, who've never seen them before - they're amazing.

Someone on here mentioned Rich Marottas twist on the sponge bunnies - I checked it out, and bought a box of the little prophylactics today. So.. there's another ending to the sponge bunnies (for adults only).

It's a big mistake to do tricks for yourself, rather than your targetted audience.

You from Edinburgh?

Regards,

DCB
I from oxfordshire - doing mba @ birmingham - so applying to busk there -

Ive done some busking in vancouver (un-licenced) - when I was working there last year. now doing some Bham clubs.

Re- TOD - Ive always suspected I could let someone see me spread a tossed out deck to them with out them noticing the same cards are repeated......people look to see if its the same throughout, then once they see its not - they then accept the premise.

CMH - ??
Hi Guys,

I love the Tossed Out Deck and have used it for years with my YMCA presentation. I thought you might like to see the video aitchy was talking about so here is the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0GlJM0H380

Cheers,

MJ
Tried it.
Love it.
Do it in my street shows and my platform shows!
Matt, nice routine, the YMCA. Very good idea with the hats at the end. My compliments.
My gag version. No gaffed deck. Just a regular full deck with rubber bands... Toss out as per regular routine. Get back...

"I will name some cards, (now really fast start) Ace of Spades, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king... Ace of Hearts. two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king... Ace of Diamonds two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king... Ace of Clubs two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king..."
Pete,
I can see how that would be VERY funny at a magic convention, for magicians,...
!!

D:-)

DCB
Matt,

I also really liked your presentation! Hilarious!
Matt,
Great job on the YMCA effect.Have you tried it on the streets yet???

Also have you seen Wayne Dobson's Tossed out deck, super simplicity...

Bill
Max Mavens Tossed Out Tech. is what I prefer.
So what are your OUTS if after calling out the cards, you still have ONE PERSON standing up there. You know that you called out their card but they're going to try and screw with you.

So you call out the cards, 3 people go back to their seats and 1 person remains and says, YOU NEVER CALLED OUT MY CARD (when you know you did). They name the card they "claim" they saw in the deck which you know is BS b/c the card they name isn't even in your Tossed Out Deck...

What's your out. Asking seriously b/c this has happened before....
"Well, not only did I know your card,,,,but I also changed it into another one" !!
I mentioned a good oput in another thread. Have an Invisible Deck on hand. Ask the spectator what card they diod think of. When they answer tell them you broght along a diifferent colored deck as insurance, and their named card ias the only one reversed, etc.
[quote]
On 2009-01-26 14:34, ladirector wrote:
I mentioned a good oput in another thread. Have an Invisible Deck on hand. Ask the spectator what card they diod think of. When they answer tell them you broght along a diifferent colored deck as insurance, and their named card ias the only one reversed, etc.
[/quote]

good out. swami gimmick could work too...
Either the Invisible deck or I like, "This next trick never works but I'm going to keep doing it until you like it as well as I do...or I never get 3 out of 3 on this next effect, I have only been able to do 2 out of 3 but I am persistent...gets a laugh and when it works...they love it....
Bill