(Close Window)
Topic: Aces In Their Faces by Bob Kohler
Aces In Their Faces was first released around 1997. It was touted as "the Best Ace Assembly Ever Created". I think anyone that knew McDonald's Aces and was fooled by Aces In Their Faces most likely would agree.

It not only fooled Magicians, but slayed lay people. The gaffs allowed for such fair ( clean )vanishes that it looked like real magic.

The routine that was in the booklet was only part of a larger routine. Bob had allot more work on the trick that wasn't included in the original booklet. That's been taken care because Aces In Their Faces has been re-released and now includes a full length comprehensive instructional DVD.

You get 4 different versions of the effect. From a no sleight version ( and still it looks like a miracle ) to versions for workers. I personally don't feel there is anything that is beyond the capabilities of most magicians. With some practice, the more advanced versions are within the reach of most.

I was a big fan of Aces In Their Faces when ti was first released. The Updated version with what I think is a monster of a DVD as far as information and detailed teaching, is better than ever and should be gotten by anyone that is a fan of ace assemblies.

When you spread the deck face down the second time and the 4 aces appear face up, that's a gasp getter. Laying down the indifferent cards onto each ace couldn't be easier. The vanishes are as simple ( but look magical ) or as detailed as you'd like or are capable of doing.

You can also mix and match vanishes, different parts of routines, use your own routine, etc. It's very flexible and lends itself to your own personality.

The gaffs are prefect and Bob sneakily has them made so you always know which way the gaff should be pointed and for quick reset.

We went to a few homes of friends and family on Halloween and I performed this each time. I opted for performing Aces In Their Eyes. It's the closest to McDonald's Aces ( which I love ) but has so much more going for it. I got huge reactions and most these people already have seen me perform.

I think if it was a formal show, Aces in Their Souls would be the way to go as it's really two routines, the latter canceling out anything that they thought was going going on.

I had the original Aces In Their Faces and this re-released version with all the extras and improvements is over the top fantastic. All the shops have this and it's only about $25. That's hard to believe for what you receive.

If you do/know McDonald's Aces, you'll want this as it is a giant improvement over that ( he displays, because of the special gaffs, are better than McDonald's Aces ). If you've always want to do McDonald's Aces, but felt apprehensive about using the gaffs, Aces In Their Faces is for you because you can, immediately, do a shocking, no sleight of hand version. From their you can, if you wish, build on it.

GET THIS! From experience, I can tell you that you will get gasps with the appearances, vanishes and re-appearances of the aces.

Murphy's Magic demo clip:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Aces-In-Their-Faces-by-Bob-Kohler-With-Cards-DVD
I'm excited about this DVD. Back when I was working in the magic shop, this was one of my favorite things to do. And so much fun to practice, play, and create with, that I ended up getting in trouble a few times for zoning out, LOL. Seriously though, this is an absolute killer (even the self-working methods). In short, I'm getting this ASAP!!!
The basic, no sleight version can be done by anyone and looks like real magic.

I think Aces In Their Faces is the perfect trick for someone that isn't an experienced card magician, but is looking to develop some skills. Right off the bat they can perform a miracle. They then can learn some more advanced techniques if they wanted to build upon the basic routine.

If someone was strictly a coin man, but wanted to have just one card effect that was a miracle and looked as good as their advanced coin work ( but didn't require the practice to get there ) this would be perfect.

And for card nuts and assembly fans, this is the Holy Grail of assemblies.

I watched the DVD again and you can see it was a real labor of love for Bob to put this out.
This is one of my favorite effects to perform.
This is an absolute killer routine!! The work and the thinking and the visuals that make up this Ace routine are nothing short of astonishing. On my top ten list of card effects to perform.

Highest recommendation.

A.J.
The link doesn't work....
You check out the video at:

http://www.magicproshop.com/advanced_search_result.php?querybox=Aces%20In%20Their%20Faces&gclid=CNCyvcSY2pYCFQObFQodiT3N2Q

I was just found it. It looks very good.

JJ
[quote]
On 2008-11-03 13:52, Pete Biro wrote:
The link doesn't work....
[/quote]

Murphy's upgraded their site:

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=43995
Thanks for the links and info Christopher!
Received my DVD last week, super teaching to a fantasic magical journey. Take your time and learn all the different verisons and you will have "magic" in you presentation to this magical effect. Thank you Mr. Kohler.

Joe
Yep, Mr. Kohler's magic is quite magnificent!
Glad everyone like AITF. It's been a great working trick for me for many years. We sold out at my lectures at the IBM International Convention in England and also at Dominique Duvivier's Double Fond nightclub in Paris.
If you're ever in Paris stop in to see Dominique's show, it's great!

Two more gems will be released from Bob Kohler Magic within the next two weeks. Both are from Steve Spill.
First is his legendary Mindreading Goose, next is Confessions Of A Neddle Swallower. Totally pro routines proven by over 25 years of professional use. If you're interested send me a PM or an email at bobkohler@cox.net.
After I viewed the demo of the spec handling the cards I had to order this.
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside!
The first one was gold, this one sounds like platinum. :)

I remember buying this from Tannens in NYC years ago and on the say-so now of my good friend here, Chris and the always expert magic of Bob Kohler, I look forward to it without the "sleightest" reservation. ;)

Thanks Bob for all the good magic and then always making good things better. :) And thanks to you too Chris, for always telling us here where the good-better-best magic can be found and who's doing it. :) -Mb
[quote]
On 2008-11-02 01:37, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
The basic, no sleight version can be done by anyone and looks like real magic.

I think Aces In Their Faces is the perfect trick for someone that isn't an experienced card magician, but is looking to develop some skills. Right off the bat they can perform a miracle. They then can learn some more advanced techniques if they wanted to build upon the basic routine.

If someone was strictly a coin man, but wanted to have just one card effect that was a miracle and looked as good as their advanced coin work ( but didn't require the practice to get there ) this would be perfect.

And for card nuts and assembly fans, this is the Holy Grail of assemblies.

I watched the DVD again and you can see it was a real labor of love for Bob to put this out.
[/quote]

Christopher,

Thank you in so many ways for making this suggestion/endorsement and also thanks for those of you that have responded. I will send for "Aces in their Faces" immediately.

After many years of dabbling (time restraints, being a teacher keeps you very - very busy), I'm starting to get serious about my love of magic. This is why I come to the Magic Café. The advice is simply wonderful, most always. This effect looks like a dream. I can learn and progress with it and apply what I've learned elsewhere. That makes it a bargain.

My only caveat is that I'm not particularly happy yet to buy effects with DVDs as the sole form of training. I'm old-school and I like printed matter for that. It also mostly lasts forever if well treated, in printed form. DVDs are very nice and extremely helpful, but seem so temporary. I have books and booklets on magic over 100 years old. I'm still buying them. Most of them are from the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's. Will DVDs make it that long? Can your grand kid's grand kids inherit them and glean the magic inside? I long for the return of the little printed booklets in magic, for instruction and training in modern and new effects. I miss them badly. I'm sorry I missed this effect when it did come with a booklet, but I'm sure having even more content in the DVD will work. Maybe buyer printable .pdf files could be a compromise, as an adjunct to the DVD?

Now if you can just suggest a coin effect.... (I've been thinking about buying J. Kennedy's Supercoin), I would appreciate it and see to getting it. I want to get beyond capped tube tricks and little brass boxes. "Aces in their Faces" and a good coin effect should keep me busy learning all Winter long.

Thanks again,

dsalley13
Some industry facts...
DVD's are expected to last for at least 25 years. I too was brought up on book and still love them but today as always the costs of a DVD are less than even a small 16 page booklet such as the original AITF booklet. If I had put information that's on the one and and thirty five minute AITF DVD it would have been way too expensive.

Also FyI I originally made up much of the material that's finally on the DVD. I gave the proof copies to Lennart Green and Alan Ackerman. They both told me they simply couldn't learn the vanish sequences from the pictures. The video solves this completely....
Bob,

One of the magic dealers I just found has the older version with the booklet. I'll buy that and the DVD version too. I like having more than one set of gaffed cards for an effect. This will work out fine.

I'm sure I will love your DVD and learn greatly from it. I just prefer books to keep and eventually pass on. I understand about a DVD being a possibly better teacher. I guess I'm slow in accepting the change in presentation media. Thank you for the great trick. I know I will enjoy it.

I tried to go to your website and deal directly, but it doesn't seem to work right now. If your site will be back up soon, I will wait and buy direct. Instead I researched what is listed of your items at the "When You Wish" store. You have some marvelous effects. I'd like to learn them all!

dsalley13
[quote]
On 2008-11-03 12:05, A.J. wrote:
This is an absolute killer routine!! The work and the thinking and the visuals that make up this Ace routine are nothing short of astonishing. On my top ten list of card effects to perform.

Highest recommendation.

A.J.
[/quote]
I will second this quote from AJ. I love the history behind this effect as explained by Bob during the credits, on the DVD. This is in the top 3 of my best purchases yet, considering I am in triple figures. Thanks to Christopher too.
I've got one of the original booklets from years ago, but I picked this up at the local magic shop as well because it's always nice to see the effect performed; especially when the creator is the one performing the routine.

This is my favorite ace assembly trick to do.

MJ
I will be looking forward to seeing the DVD, although I own the original version and the video that Bob released. This is a routine that I always wanted to like, but it just never did anything for me.
Lookin good!
Just placed my order.

~gaffed~
Aces In Their Eyes is what I settled on. Has anyone chosen one of the other routines Bob has constructed?
I just do the original, just as good as the others IMO. Kills every time.
Can I order replacement cards from dealers?
[quote]
On 2008-11-20 17:22, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Can I order replacement cards from dealers?
[/quote]

Joshua, I've never seen 'official' replacement cards offered. Cards By Martin makes the gaffs ( I have never seen them though ):

[url=http://cardsbymartin.com/store/index.php?main_page=products_all&zenid=f6e73edac676fa4e72a52d5958062227]ACES IN THEIR FACES[/url]‏

The best tip is by Bob Kohler and that is to start with a brand new deck and let the cards and the deck " age " with use.

I don't use the deck for any other effect, so they will last a LONG time.
I got some from him, but you can see the split on the white border. you can be a little more umm open I guess is the word with the print originals. I'm gonna try and fill them in with white crayon and see if I can remove the seam
I must admit the cards you get with the DVD are immaculate quality. I had mine under an electron microscope and I could find no flaws.
[quote]
On 2008-11-21 03:34, pegasus wrote:
I must admit the cards you get with the DVD are immaculate quality. I had mine under an electron microscope and I could find no flaws.
[/quote]

Well I seriously doubt you would find any flaws as they are printed cards and not [i]altered[/i] cards. I used to make gaffed cards professionally years ago and at times have made cards similar to these. I would not have been able to make them like this as I did not do any printing or silk screening. Just curious as how the cards look that are made by Neil unless he just purchases them from USPCC and then sells them.

~gaffed~
Neil splits the cards and glues them together. The gaffs for this effect are made from 2 cards
[quote]
On 2008-11-23 18:27, magicbyswh wrote:
Neil splits the cards and glues them together. The gaffs for this effect are made from 2 cards
[/quote]

Essentially the same thing.
Where would the gaffed side come from if not [i]printed[/i] that way as it definitely is.

As for splitting cards that was about 90% of my work. A special heat bonding glue and then a heating press.

~gaffed~
Finally received my DVD.
Just one word: WONDERFUL!
Highly recommended!

Greetings from Germany
Daniel
I was looking through my gaff cards today and I have a gaff pack I got from Marty "Martini" Gram. There are gaffs, while not aces, that look just like the AITF gaffs. I'm sure Marty would be able to do aces by request. His work is impeccable and he's a joy to order from.

Marty is a Café member and you can PM him. Contact info is below.

Café ID: Martini
E-mail: martinismagic@hotmail.com
Good to know.
Now that I remember I used to make a few "G**** Cards" for some magicians some years ago albeit they were not for this effect.

I remember when "The Secrets of Brother John Hamman" came out I could hardy keep up with orders as he had a lot of great effects that called for some pretty wild gaffed cards!

All in all Bob's AITF is fantastic! Now I just have to take the time to get into it and settle upon what I feel the most comfortable with. What is so nice about this is that you have a lot of leeway as how you wish to present it or intermingle it with different presentations.

~gaffed~
I received my DVD today and wow! I watched it all the way through and I think I'll end up using a hybrid of some of the techniques. I really love the bonus vanishes. Bob has done a great job on this, can't wait for his next release.
Pepka, will you be using a small close-up pad to perform Aces In Their Faces at your restaurant? If you ever get a chance to post the experiences, we'd love to hear about them!
Hey Chris,
This takes up way too much room and time to make it to the A list at the restaurant. I believe this will be reserved for after dinner VIPs. I think it's important for restaurant workers to have something for people that want a little show after dinner. Something that the rest of the people don't get. I normally perform an ace cutting routine Darwin's Combination Cull, (one of the best tricks ever) and my version of Bro. John's signed card. This will probably go into rotation with that set. Perfect after I've blown them away with a non-gaffed deck and determined that they're not grabby. As it stands, there is nothing in my restaurant set that can not be examined, this is a big leap, but I think it may be worth it.
Pepka, thanks for sharing those thoughts. For the restaurant performer, I also feel Aces In Their Faces falls into that category of an effect for special moments and or special people/tables.

It's not a between the salad and the meal effect as you want zero interruptions. It's the one to "GTFM" with. Repeat guests that brought friends, folks that have shown their appre$iation on previous visits, etc.

Using a fresh cloth napkin as the stage prevents the cards from getting wet and soiled ( when I worked them, I didn't use a pad for a table effect with cards ).

And Aces In Their Faces would be best used after it's been established that they know their boundaries ( aren't grabby ) and also after another effect where they perhaps shuffled the cards and the Magic did a deck switch.
Bob explains on the DVD that AITF is only available in red bicycles because of the difficulty matching the variable blues produced by USPCC. However my AITF set is a darker red than any of the many red bicycle decks I possess and, strangely, they appear to be getting darker! The difference when the deck is spread is obvious to me but would probably not be noticed by a lay audience. It will obviously become a problem in time if indeed the cards are darkening with age. Anyone else noticed this?
Do you need a table to perform this trick or is it something that can be done in the hands walkabout style?
Qoute:
"Do you need a table to perform this trick or is it something that can be done in the hands walkabout style?"

jugglestruck,
This effect is made to be performed on a table (mat or tablecloth, preferably.)
As a matter of fact, all of BK's performance's for his spectator's are done at a table using a mat...
(it's been a while since I've seen the DVD....so someone can correct me if I'm wrong) :)
Hope this helps!

Best of everything,
JRRocha
[quote]
On 2008-11-27 10:34, Blondin wrote:
Bob explains on the DVD that AITF is only available in red bicycles because of the difficulty matching the variable blues produced by USPCC. However my AITF set is a darker red than any of the many red bicycle decks I possess and, strangely, they appear to be getting darker! The difference when the deck is spread is obvious to me but would probably not be noticed by a lay audience. It will obviously become a problem in time if indeed the cards are darkening with age. Anyone else noticed this?
[/quote]
He also explains to use a brand new red deck with the gaffs and they will all blend together over time. I still use the same deck and there are no differences at all.
I've owned the original Aces in their Faces for a while and am wondering if the new "improved" gaffs affect the original handling or if they are meant more for the additional routines in the new DVD.

I generally only perform the standard original routine so I would really only be interested in upgrading to the new gaffs and DVD if they somehow improve the original routine. Though, from what I'm reading, some of the new stuff might be good too. Any further thoughts on the new vs the old gaffs?
The demo looks soooooo good. When he flicked the card onto the table, I pretty much jumped out of my chair.
One word...FANTASTIC. Started performing the self working version after the first time I watched the dvd. Definitely in the top five things I've purchased this year in magic.
You obviously purchase a lot of magic fxdude.
There are some memorization invovled in performing the effects in AITF DVD. It's well worth it though..
Aces in their faces is one of my Fave aces trick....
it's iteresting.....
[quote]
On 2009-01-04 18:12, pegasus wrote:
You obviously purchase a lot of magic fxdude.
[/quote]

haha, yes I do
The new DVD has increased handlings from the original video. Takes the trick to another level and it was already very good.
I have the original version, VHS instruction Video and the recent DVD of Aces in their faces. I like it very much, and find particularly excellent the instruction on magician's choice. However, I am not sure that this solution for four ace assembly is better than McDonald Aces. For LAYMEN, the backs of all cards are clearly "shown" in both of these solutions. I personally prefer McDonald's because the aces in the 4 packets are shown more clearly, and the turnover phenomenon is parasitic in Aces in their faces. I use the switch method for 3 reguar aces by gaffed of Jonny Thompson (Commercial magic). Other versions like those by Oz Pealman or Guy Hollingworth show the backs of all cards simultaneously, thanks to different solutions. Although showing really all the backs is an improvement for MAGICIANS who already know McDonald’s aces, it is not necessary for LAYMEN. It is also true of Knaves gone wild by Solomon.
I too love this effect! I bough a set quite a while back. Due to an unfortunate "I left my card wallet in my pants pocket" mishap, my original gaffs went through the wash and, um, sort of died. :lol:

My very first foray into card splitting was to make a replacement set. They don't look nearly as good as the originals, but they serve me well anyway.

Sean
I own the original booklet Aces In Their Faces & its a wonderful effect, the new DVD sounds great with the newer versions Aces In Their Eye's etc. Iam going to pick this up myself thanks B.K for your excellent effects.
After reading all through this thread I have to order AITF... NOW!!
I received the DVD yesterday, and I am really very happy with the various explanations. This is really a fantastic and very strong card routine.
Lyoma, although I've "AITF" since years, I agree with you absolutely. Unless I want to perform for magicians (to fool them with a "new" method") many methods for same themes are simply waste. Our audience doesn't know methods or our method or this method... Therefore again my highest recommendation: Darwin Ortiz' "Designing Miracles". Everyone should read it at least twice. Jan
This is one of the best purchases I have made. The effect is well taught and a joy to perform.
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, But I just got AITF a few days ago and I've been playing around with it. My question is, Would I be totally off base if I wanted to add some sleights to this and change it up to fit my style and what I like?

I get that in this trick is that it seems that you don't seem to really do "anything" to make the magic happen, But still... There are a few things I've added and I changed the setup a little to suit me and I like it even more. Don't get me wrong, I love the way that Bob put it together. But my way it seems more like my own style and what I like to see.

Great effect BTW!!

And I'd also like to ask, Has anyone had any trouble with the color of the gimmicks matching a deck? The red back on my gimmicks seems really dark. I can spot them instantly as I spread through the deck. I've tried a few decks but the gimmicks seem way darker than any of them.
[quote]
On 2010-06-08 22:10, Voldemort wrote:
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, But I just got AITF a few days ago and I've been playing around with it. My question is, Would I be totally off base if I wanted to add some sleights to this and change it up to fit my style and what I like?

I get that in this trick is that it seems that you don't seem to really do "anything" to make the magic happen, But still... There are a few things I've added and I changed the setup a little to suit me and I like it even more. Don't get me wrong, I love the way that Bob put it together. But my way it seems more like my own style and what I like to see.

Great effect BTW!!

And I'd also like to ask, Has anyone had any trouble with the color of the gimmicks matching a deck? The red back on my gimmicks seems really dark. I can spot them instantly as I spread through the deck. I've tried a few decks but the gimmicks seem way darker than any of them.
[/quote]

Hi Voldemort,

Personally, if you are adding sleights and you feel you have enhanced the effect, and more importantly, your AUDIENCES love it, them there is no harm at all since you are not selling your method. I would think you would have to get Bob Kohler's permission if you would sell it obviously.

Anyhow, I used to do the effect, and, while I like it, I "rediscovered" Frank Garcia's method of doing MacDonald's Aces - the forerunner to Bob Kohler's effect, and I do that now, or, I will do Simon Aronson's very strong, no gaffs Queenspell, which has it roots in Collins Aces. Perhaps Etienne could shed some light on the common genesis of the plots, i.e., was Collins Aces the forerunner, was MacDonald's first, or was this something from Hofzinser that has evolved?

When I did perform Aces in Their Faces, I didn't have problems with back color not matching, but, this was circa 2001 and USPCC actually still had quality control ;) All of THAT being said, AITF IS a great effect. I switched back to MacDonald's out of practicality and it garners reactions for ME at least just as strong as Mr. Kohler's excellent approach.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Folks, at Lybrary.com, there is a huge write up on a process to make virtually ANY gaff you can imagine. The process looks GREAT. PM Chris Wasshuber for more information.
Hi Vlad,

Thanks for the reply!

No, Not to try and sell it or anything like that. That didn't even cross my mind to tell you the truth. I just came up with a variation that suits ME better using a few simple sleights.

It does however occur to me that one of the things that makes AITF so great is that the cards are really not touched during the routine. I think that that is a strength, But I also love doing the routine a little more visually. In the end, I suppose the only thing that I can really do is try out both methods a few times and see which works best for the audience.

I do make my own gaffs and I have for a while now. Making up a few of these to match will not be a huge deal. I did want to know if anyone else had the same problem though, To see if I may have gotten some from a bad batch. I have not graduated to the system put forward by Lybrary yet. Although I do love the sound of the whole thing and what can be done. But to start a good system you would need quite a bit of money (For a good printer if nothing else). I will take that step eventually though as I LOVE to make gaffs.
It's good idea tho, if we can show them that we do some sleights, it will take the heat off the cards. Even with the original routine, the audience will keep wondering how the cards can travel across without even touching each other, except the magician's hands.

I don't have a problem with the back color, or perhaps because I don't pay attention much to it. I bought it as second-hand item, so it might came from the time where all red back gaff cards still matching to the regular red back deck.
I'm considering this routine, and need a little guidance from those of you that have it. I'm thinking of using this as a follow up to a regular 4 ace production. I know there are gaffs used in this routine. Is it feasible to go into this routine from an ace production, or would there be too many cards to switch out?
Is there a live link that demos one of the AITF effects? The Murphy's Magic site has a "demo" trailer that provides sample shots from a variety of effects. A nicely done trailer, but I would like to see a performance, start-to-finish.
Thanks,
Angelo
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S10918

http://www.magicgeek.com/aces-in-their-faces-310.html

I hope that's good enough :)

The one in magicgeek.com was done by Chris himself as usual, so you can watch the full routine from beginning till the end.
Thanks. The magicgeek clip was exactly what I was looking for. Nice looking effect.
Angelo
Yup, and it can be performed absolutely sleight-free, especially for those who are uncomfortable executing Elmsley's.
I know this is an old thread, but I love this effect. My only problem these days is that the backs of the gaffs no longer match the new bicycle cards. I have had a few people point this out during performance. So as of now, this great effect sits on the shelf. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Mike
[quote]
On 2012-12-11 00:36, Mike ODonnell wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I love this effect. My only problem these days is that the backs of the gaffs no longer match the new bicycle cards.[/quote]

What new bicycle cards do you mean? I just bought a couple decks of bicycle cards last week and I don't see any difference in the backs.
[quote]

...the backs of the gaffs no longer match the new bicycle cards. I have had a few people point this out during performance. So as of now, this great effect sits on the shelf. Any suggestions?

[/quote]

Like Xpilot said, Bicycle Standard Rider Backs have not changed. To paraphrase my old boss, "If you're using a different back design that doesn't match...then don't do that!"
Did you guys buy this effect recently? I have had it for approximately 2 years. They do not match any red standard rider backs. Hmmm, I guess I need to buy the effect again.
Ahhhh, Mike...I get what you're saying. I was wondering about that, actually. Are you saying you have a different design, like a Hoyle back or something?

I know the current cards are Bicycle Riders.

Check it out here:

https://www.bobkohlermagic.com/view-product.cfm?productID=9

Or are you saying that the design of the Bicycle Rider Back is the same but the coloration is off? Can't help you there.

- Steve
[quote]
I know this is an old thread, but I love this effect. My only problem these days is that the backs of the gaffs no longer match the new bicycle cards. I have had a few people point this out during performance. So as of now, this great effect sits on the shelf. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Mike
[/quote]

I raised this issue with a post on this thread in November 2008. It seemed to me at the time that rather it being a bicycle deck problem,the gaffs themselves were darkening in colour to the extent that I no longer felt comfortable in using them which was a shame as the effect is first class. I haven't looked at my gaffs since that time and I must get them out to see how they are doing. Perhaps they've turned blue!!
I also got this several years ago with darker cards then the regular bicycle cards. Mine was red. One person pointed it out during an performance. Never used them since. I made a complaint regarding the cards, but they did not agree and I didn`t get a refund.
I understand the confusion. I am saying that the red color on the gaffs do not match the red color of a standard bicycle deck. I had emailed Mr. Kohler ( a while ago)and he stated that this effect/gaff was made years ago and at that time the gaffs matched. His solution: find an old deck that matches. Unfortunately, finding an old matching deck is rather difficult to find.
Just wanted to say I love the effect. It was one of the first effects I purchased as a beginner before I knew any real sleight of hand. I threw it out, and dismissed after a while because I felt it was only for newbies. Now that I've learned so much and have gotten better at sleight of hand, I can now fully appreciate something as awesome as Aces in Their Faces. The main reason I love it is because it seems to organic. It's just a deck of cards as far as the spectator is concerned. But in the end, it's a master piece. I'm gonna be ordering it again and performing it real soon. People are already used to seeing me do magic with regular cards. I can't wait for the opportunity to ring this in and blow people away.
A beautiful effect indeed.
A very old thread I know but I have solved the colour problem and also got gaffs with Phoenix backs, now my go to brand. I had these made up by Cardmaker, a user here on the Café, and they are of excellent quality. He also made up some for me with Bicycle backs which match perfectly with the current Bicycle red. Incidentally, for those of you preferring blue backs which were never available from Bob Kohler, I am sure that Bernd could make these up as well.
Man I remember buying it in the 90s from either an ad in magic magazine or genii magazine. I still have it in my magic case.